edit a bound textbox control on a form

Hello All,

I am trying to update bound text box values so as to update the record in
the table. I have a form that i set the data entry to "NO" b/c the
recordsource of the textbox controls are bound to the value from the database
using a  query.

Once the form pulls up the record from the database i want the user to be
able to edit the current values of the texbox control to allow them change /
update any value from what it was originally and i can update the records in
the table

My problem:
I am not able to edit the individual textbox values because they are bound
how do i make it so that they can be edited even though they are bound? When
i change the form data entry to yes, the texbox(s) are no longer populated /
filled out.

Thanks.

Ecwhite -

The 'data entry' property indicates entry for a new record, which is why
they are blank when you turn that on.  You can keep that as No for updates.
To update the table, the controls must be bound to the record.  Can you
explain what you mean by you are "not able to edit the individual textbox
values"?  Are they grayed out or something?  Are all controls disabled, or
just some?

Your form should have "Allow Edits" property set to Yes.  Your individual
controls should have "Enabled" set to Yes, and "Locked" set to No.  I don't
suspect the recordsource if you were able to enter data in the "Data Entry"
mode.

Give us a little more information on the form and its controls and describe
what happens when you try to update.

--
Daryl S

"ecwhite" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to update bound text box values so as to update the record in
> the table. I have a form that i set the data entry to "NO" b/c the
> recordsource of the textbox controls are bound to the value from the database
> using a  query.
>
> Once the form pulls up the record from the database i want the user to be
> able to edit the current values of the texbox control to allow them change /
> update any value from what it was originally and i can update the records in
> the table
>
> My problem:
> I am not able to edit the individual textbox values because they are bound
> how do i make it so that they can be edited even though they are bound? When
> i change the form data entry to yes, the texbox(s) are no longer populated /
> filled out.
>
> Thanks.
Thanks Daryl. All settings are exactly what you described.

What I mean is i can not type into the textbox. When i try to type so as to
change what is currently showing in the textbox  i hear the ding sound i
can't type. I have not even started the update i just need to be able to
overwrite the current value in the textbox by adding to or typing over.

"Daryl S" wrote:

> Ecwhite -
>
> The 'data entry' property indicates entry for a new record, which is why
> they are blank when you turn that on.  You can keep that as No for updates.
> To update the table, the controls must be bound to the record.  Can you
> explain what you mean by you are "not able to edit the individual textbox
> values"?  Are they grayed out or something?  Are all controls disabled, or
> just some?
>
> Your form should have "Allow Edits" property set to Yes.  Your individual
> controls should have "Enabled" set to Yes, and "Locked" set to No.  I don't
> suspect the recordsource if you were able to enter data in the "Data Entry"
> mode.
>
> Give us a little more information on the form and its controls and describe
> what happens when you try to update.
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "ecwhite" wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am trying to update bound text box values so as to update the record in
> > the table. I have a form that i set the data entry to "NO" b/c the
> > recordsource of the textbox controls are bound to the value from the database
> > using a  query.
> >
> > Once the form pulls up the record from the database i want the user to be
> > able to edit the current values of the texbox control to allow them change /
> > update any value from what it was originally and i can update the records in
> > the table
> >
> > My problem:
> > I am not able to edit the individual textbox values because they are bound
> > how do i make it so that they can be edited even though they are bound? When
> > i change the form data entry to yes, the texbox(s) are no longer populated /
> > filled out.
> >
> > Thanks.
The reasons that a bound form will not allow records to be edited include:

1) AllowEdits for the form is set to No
2) The underlying query the form is based on is Read-Only
3) User doesn't have Write Permission for the folder where the data resides.
4) Form's Recordset Type is set to Snapshot

To see if #2 is the case, from the Objects Dialog box go to Queries and click
on the query that your form is based on to open it. Now try to edit a record
directly in the query. If you're unable to do so, this is the cause of your
problem.

If your query is Read-Only, follow this link to Allen Browne’s article
explaining the reasons this happens.

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
2/8/2010 5:48:47 PM
Thanks a lot to you and Daryl. No. 2 was my problem. I had the GROUP BY
clause in the query which made is read only.

"Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> The reasons that a bound form will not allow records to be edited include:
>
> 1) AllowEdits for the form is set to No
> 2) The underlying query the form is based on is Read-Only
> 3) User doesn't have Write Permission for the folder where the data resides.
> 4) Form's Recordset Type is set to Snapshot
>
> To see if #2 is the case, from the Objects Dialog box go to Queries and click
> on the query that your form is based on to open it. Now try to edit a record
> directly in the query. If you're unable to do so, this is the cause of your
> problem.
>
> If your query is Read-Only, follow this link to Allen Browne’s article
> explaining the reasons this happens.
>
> http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html
>
> --
> There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!
>
> Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

> .

form error 2000 >> 2002
Hi, I migrated a database from access 2000 to 2002. After doing this i got a wird error in on of the forms. Its a form with about 40 calculated fields and 10 subforms. In a lot of the fields "#name?" is displayed instead of the value. When i go to the next record or open the form in design mode and return then other fields display "#name?". I have checked for missing referrences in my vb library but that gave no errors. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. Pieter Hi, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups...

Drawing Control in VB.NET
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C50450.C6200850 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I don't know if this post should be here or in the .net languages forum = but I'll start here. The problem is I am trying to use the ActiveX = control in a vb.net program and I have a form that includes this control = .. The problem is that when the form initializes it starts Visio duing = the initialize component module when it hits=20 Public vsoApp As New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Visio.Applicat...

disabling restore control
hi i have a problem that in my mdi form when i open a child form in maximized state it has restore control button and i want to disable that button whan the form has opened up so that client can not restore the mdi child form can any body help me Ajay posted this for you earlier, but in case that one scrolled off: Try something like: CMenu *pMenu = pYourChildFrame->GetSystemMenu(FALSE); pMenu->DeleteMenu(SC_RESTORE,MF_BYCOMMAND); Tom "Muhammad Ahsin Saleem" <ahsin.saleem@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158211918.857499.317720@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > ...

editting auto recovery

Price Lower bound
when we were imported our inventory from previous system into RMS we had some items whose price was lower than the cost and we have a trigger to automatically calculate lower bound for product from its cost. when an item whose price is lower than the lower bound how can i set the RMS to automatically use lower bound instead of price. ...

Fast grid control
I am developing a trading type application and would like suggestions on any efficient performance-wise grid controls out there. I dont need any bells and whistles such as links to database but would like the ability to have multiple lines per cell and coloration. Thanks http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/gridctrl.asp It's fairly efficient and has a lot of features, it's easy to use and it's free. Just be careful of performing large number of resizing row height operations. Page Fault City. ...

BOM & Edit List

Adding a control line to excel chart without showing up in the leg
How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, or data table? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. -- thanks tweaver On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or >line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, >or data table? Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and ...

Editing
Hi! Could you please tell me how to remove a linked transaction within the budget planner. For example, I have a double entry under the debt category. ...

Calculating additional fields on a Quote Form
Hi there, I have this percentage custom field I convert into a money field using javascript which is added to the detail amount. I then calculate the tax in order to get a total amount. The problem is when i use the below script, when I save twice the correct total amount appears, but when I save and close a totally different total amount appears SCRIPT function OnSave() { crmForm.all.totalamountlessfreight.DataValue = (crmForm.all.totallineitemamount.DataValue / 100) * crmForm.all.discountpercentage.DataValue + crmForm.all.totallineitemamount.DataValue; crmForm.all.totaltax.DataVal...

editing a drop down #2
that's not one of my choices. -- kateweb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kateweb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16301 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276931 what do you mean by this .. is it greyed out on the toolbar or shows "any value"? if you'ld like to tell me where you downloaded it from i can go have a look at it cheers JulieD "kateweb" <kateweb.1fictb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kateweb.1fictb@excelfor...

Macro to edit details
Hi, i am currently trying to create a macro regarding editing staf details on a worksheet....... therefore i recorded a macro and named it editstafflist, i highlighte my headings...and then went to 'data > form' and then had to close th form and then stop my macro. It wouldnt allow me to stop my macr whilst the dialogue box was open. Anyways after stopping the macro drew out a button and assigned this 'editstafflist' macro to it. saved my sheet and then clicked on the button, but a error '1004' kep occuring, can anyone please help me on this as i am rather stuck ...

Data collection Form Edit
We have a form which will be used almost daily, for data collection, based on a query. During the test we found a typo in one of the field labels where a brief description is included. Is there some way to edit the form? (recreating it with all the custom lables is just too long a task). Another issue on this topic, every time the form is sent, the messge reverts to the default "Please fill out the form and retunr it to me". Can this default message be changed? Nothing in the help functions. Any advice, or deirection to a learning resource will be appreciated. Thanks is adva...

Money 2007 and Vista user account control
I have noticed a nasty behavior when running Money 2007 on Vista ultimate. If uer acount control is turned on Money opens the file in program files then writes all its changes to the vitural store. When I close Money and open it again the file that is opened is the old file from program files not the file that contains the changes made last time. Is there another way to fix this behavior other than turning UAC off? Thanks in advance John A. Dwyer, MCSE In microsoft.public.money, John A. Dwyer, MCSE wrote: >I have noticed a nasty behavior when running Money 2007 on Vista ultimat...

Setting caret in edit control & activating it.
Hello Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an edit control ? Nicholas Take a look at the CEdit::SetSel() member function. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Nicholas Kingsley" <nickk@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message news:3f9d418a$0$106$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > Hello > > Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an > edit control ? > > Nicholas > > If you are asking how to create & use your own caret in an edit control then check...

Tracking/voting options not working with Infopath form
When I send an infopath form with outlook and require voting options, I can't figure out where to find the responses tracking. With a normal email form, you go to the sent message and click tracking. I don't see the same options when I send an infopath message. ...

"Windows PowerShell Cookbook" by Lee Holmes second edition draft available for viewing and comments
O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and comments at http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ - Larry In message <exi7SKRyKHA.2552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Larry__Weiss <lfw@airmail.net> writes >O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition >of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and >comments at > > http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ > > - Larry > Aw...

Sorting/Grouping
Hello, I have two problems with Acc2003, it worked fine with acc97. 1) I have a report with Sorting/grouping section and I want that every group should start a new page. I set the Force New Page to Before Section. Now with acc2003 the first page is blank. (the After Section doesn't work either) 2) I always use the short cut Ctrl+Brk to copy from the previous line. When I change the keyboard mode to Hebrew by pressing Alt+Shif, the form opens in Design mode. Acc97 was no problem. Abe ...

SFO Forms
Hi, I am experiencing problem on outlook forms. When click the CRM toolbar buttons in Outlook, they do not launch the form. The Go offline button does work. Is that related to Outlook forms cache or security setting in Outlook to prevent custom forms? Any ideas? Thanks! Darren ...

Form, Query, and Updating Records
I have an employee profile form that I would like to filter by what location the employee works out of. The location is already determined based on a login I have in the beginning. The location value is stored in a Query (call it query1). When I get the records filtered to what I want, I still want to be able to edit/update them. Is this possible? I have played around with the Adavanced Filter but haven't been successful because when I filter the correct field in the employee profile form, and put my EXPRESSION (I think this is part of the problem) of what I want it filted by ([Query1]...

Having Insert button functionality while editing
Hi, I want to have the functionality of Insert button (on keyboard) in my while application while editing in a cell or a edit box. For eg if i am editing my text say "alpha" and my cursor is between "l" and "p" and I insert an alphabet say "z", i want the "p" should be replaced by "Z" and the text should become "alzha". Please suggest. Thanks in advance. Regards, Arjun CEdit does not support that by default. Here is a good example of how implement this (Although I think UpdateCaret should just be a method of CXEdi...