Dumb question about tabs or tabs with subforms

First of all, thanks for reading this post.
I have one table with lots of fields in it. The field I'm concerned with this
post is [shift]. I've created filters which will filter out Day Shift or
Night Shift. I've created a tabbed formed with two subforms with the exact
same info except they are Tab 1 is Day Shift. Tab 2 is Night Shift and
filtered accordingly. So that means twice the programming. For example if I
have to change one item in tab 1 subform then I'd also have to change it in
tab 2 subform.

The dumb question is which would be more efficient putting all the fields on
blank tabs or using the subforms? I know I'd somehow have to come up with a
way for the Day Shift and Night Shift to be filtered on each tab.

Instead of using filters, would it be better to build an SQL string?

I don't know. That's why I call it a dumb question.

Thanks again for reading this.

Afrosheen

Why would you have to duplicate the code? Also, why would changing something
on Day Shift necessitate changing it for Night Shift? What KINDS of things
are being changed?

You could use the "after update" event for either shift to set the field in
the other shift (which would make that record "Dirty", then just execute an
"If Me.Dirty then Me.Dirty = false" to post the other record. Watch out that
you don't keep firing the AfterUpdate events back-and-forth though, as theat
could get you into an infinite loop. You'll need to set a flag that tells the
OTHER AfterUpdate event  NOT to fire again. Outside of that, it should be
pretty simple...

"Afrosheen via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> First of all, thanks for reading this post.
> I have one table with lots of fields in it. The field I'm concerned with this
> post is [shift]. I've created filters which will filter out Day Shift or
> Night Shift. I've created a tabbed formed with two subforms with the exact
> same info except they are Tab 1 is Day Shift. Tab 2 is Night Shift and
> filtered accordingly. So that means twice the programming. For example if I
> have to change one item in tab 1 subform then I'd also have to change it in
> tab 2 subform.
>
> The dumb question is which would be more efficient putting all the fields on
> blank tabs or using the subforms? I know I'd somehow have to come up with a
> way for the Day Shift and Night Shift to be filtered on each tab.
>
> Instead of using filters, would it be better to build an SQL string?
>
> I don't know. That's why I call it a dumb question.
>
> Thanks again for reading this.

> .

Thanks Dennis for the come back.
There are about 20-30 employees per shift. The data entry person uses a
roster from both shifts for information. That person then goes through each
record posting if they are working or not. When they get through with shift 1
being Day Shift staff, then they tab to shift 2 being Night Shift staff and
complete posting from the roster.

Dennis wrote:
>Why would you have to duplicate the code? Also, why would changing something
>on Day Shift necessitate changing it for Night Shift? What KINDS of things
>are being changed?
>
>You could use the "after update" event for either shift to set the field in
>the other shift (which would make that record "Dirty", then just execute an
>"If Me.Dirty then Me.Dirty = false" to post the other record. Watch out that
>you don't keep firing the AfterUpdate events back-and-forth though, as theat
>could get you into an infinite loop. You'll need to set a flag that tells the
>OTHER AfterUpdate event  NOT to fire again. Outside of that, it should be
>pretty simple...
>
>> First of all, thanks for reading this post.
>> I have one table with lots of fields in it. The field I'm concerned with this
>[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
>>
>> Thanks again for reading this.

Afrosheen
3/29/2010 4:24:43 PM
Silly me, but why not have a single subform with the Main form having a set
of radio buttions with the values: "Day Shift" and "Night Shift"? The user
clicks the appropriate button on the Main form, which sets the filter for the
subform's data as well as setting the correct value (under the sheets) for
which shift. Seems like it would accomplish exactly the same thing but be
cleaner.

"Afrosheen via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> Thanks Dennis for the come back.
> There are about 20-30 employees per shift. The data entry person uses a
> roster from both shifts for information. That person then goes through each
> record posting if they are working or not. When they get through with shift 1
> being Day Shift staff, then they tab to shift 2 being Night Shift staff and
> complete posting from the roster.
>
> Dennis wrote:
> >Why would you have to duplicate the code? Also, why would changing something
> >on Day Shift necessitate changing it for Night Shift? What KINDS of things
> >are being changed?
> >
> >You could use the "after update" event for either shift to set the field in
> >the other shift (which would make that record "Dirty", then just execute an
> >"If Me.Dirty then Me.Dirty = false" to post the other record. Watch out that
> >you don't keep firing the AfterUpdate events back-and-forth though, as theat
> >could get you into an infinite loop. You'll need to set a flag that tells the
> >OTHER AfterUpdate event  NOT to fire again. Outside of that, it should be
> >pretty simple...
> >
> >> First of all, thanks for reading this post.
> >> I have one table with lots of fields in it. The field I'm concerned with this
> >[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
> >>
> >> Thanks again for reading this.

> .

That may work. Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

Dennis wrote:
>Silly me, but why not have a single subform with the Main form having a set
>of radio buttions with the values: "Day Shift" and "Night Shift"? The user
>clicks the appropriate button on the Main form, which sets the filter for the
>subform's data as well as setting the correct value (under the sheets) for
>which shift. Seems like it would accomplish exactly the same thing but be
>cleaner.
>
>> Thanks Dennis for the come back.
>> There are about 20-30 employees per shift. The data entry person uses a
>[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]

Afrosheen
3/29/2010 6:42:34 PM
high quality Soccer jerseys NBA Jersey tracksuit and jackets, GHD
hairstraightener supplier from www.willpa.com

Are you a Retail businessman who bother by the purchase price?  China
Cheapest TOP wholesale website can help you

we are specialize in replica sport goods manufacturing in china, we can
offer you all kinds of soccer jersey, NBA jersey,shoes and so on. they are
the best brand replica goods whih are look the same as the original goods.
excellent quality and steady supply for them. we have been marketed in Europe
and American for 3 year. all the goods we offer are AAA quality.  our soccer
jersey are Thailand style. If any goods you buy from my company have problem,
we will refund or resend them again. Most of ourProducts have no minimum
order requirements,soyou can shop retail goods at wholesale prices. if you
can buy more than 300usd. We offer free shipping. The more you buy the more
discount for you.

National soccer jerseys: http://www.willpa.com
Club soccer jerseys: http://www.willpa.com
NBA Jerseys: http://www.willpa.com
T-shirt and shirt: http://www.willpa.com
Tracksuit: http://www.willpa.com
Hoody & Jackets: http://www.willpa.com
UGG boots: http://www.willpa.com
Hair style: http://www.willpa.com
shopping Index: http://www.willpa.com

EMS shipping.  7days arrive, paypal accept

want more information pls contact us or check our website: www.willpa.com

tab not tabbing to next cell
Tab button is moving to next page, not next cell. Is there a setting for this somewhere ? Lynn, It's trying to act like Lotus 123. Tools - Options - Transition - Transition navigation keys. Turn it off. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "lynn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:231f01c3a92f$c1d56290$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Tab button is moving to next page, not next cell. Is there > a setting for this somewhere ? Perfect. Thanks ! >-----Original Message----- ...

new outlook user has questions
I have finally taken the plunge from Outlook Express to Outlook 2003, mostly for the Calendar functionality. I have some questions that I have been unable to find answers for and am grateful in advance for any help you provide. 1) How do I create a second identity with a separate folder structure as can be done in OE? Whenever I create a second e-mail account all messages get mixed in the same Inbox. 2) Is there a keyboard shortcut available to view all headers of a message? I have had to right-click on a message and choose Properties to see them. 3) The current day in the monthly Calend...

Tab order after using pop up calendar on date field
After selecting a value in a date field by using the pop up calendar, the tab order on the screen sometimes goes to the first dollar sign ($) on the screen and tabs through each dollar sign until the last one is reached and then starts tabbing through the fields starting with the first one instead of just tabbing to the next field. This happens if the cursor was in a text or number field and the value in the field was not selected (highlighted) when the calendar button was pushed. If the date was typed in to the date field (as apposed to selected using the pop up calendar) then the su...

IRA Account Question
I am using MS Money 2006 Premium, switching over recently from Quicken. Early in the year, I rolled a 401K from a previous job into an IRA and entered this into Money as an IRA. I am not currently contributing to it, so the only change in the account is the monthly interest. I am struggling with the way Money handles all this. When looking at "Dave's IRA Holdings" I see the following: 1. Under Account Summary, it says "The account currently has in investments in it. You can add a new investment here." 2. Under Investment Transactions, it shows no transactions, with th...

dumb data type question
i have a field [SortOrder] which is data type - number field size - decimal format - standard precision - 8 decimal places - 2 however, whn in datasheet view, if if enter a numer (let's say; 150.10, Access immediately changes it to 150.00 Sorry to say, i give up, could someone tell me what i am doing wrong? -mark (when i first created this atble, the field [SortOrder] had an incorrect data type of text; which was subsequently changed to number after a small amount of data had already been entered...) Mark A side curiosity ... if the field ...

XML Query Question
Hi, I have the following node within a xml document. <Results> <Result> <RecordID>1</RecordID> ... </Result> <Result> <RecordID>2</RecordID> ... </Result> <Result> <RecordID>1</RecordID> ... </Result> </Results> I am currently parsing this document using XMLDocument and looping through the Result nodes. I need to group the nodes by recordID. And compare to the records. How do I do this? Thanks xmlDocument.selectNodes("XP...

"tasks" tab in Project Web Access
Hello, I use MS Project Server 2003. When I assign task to some resource (user), and then I log in as this user to Project Web Access, and I go to the "tasks" tab - I can't see that tasks in tasks list. The list is empty. However, I can do (still in Project Web Access) "actions -> assign me to a new task". And then, when I assign a user to a new task in this way, this task is visible in tasks list. Why can't I normally see user's tasks in "tasks" tab in Project Web Access? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPar...

Marketing list member question
Hello all I would like to be able to change the view of the marketing list members, so that e.g. if the list is a list of contacts I can display their titles, departments and emails. I also wondered whether it would be possible to associate a field with a marketing list member (e.g. a description field explaining why they are on the list). Does anyone know if the above two customizations are possible. I have hunted around and connot seem to figure out how to do this. Thanks Saira No current "out of box" way to customize the Marketing List Members attributes and relationsh...

Format and CString question
Hello group, Why this code raises an exception error?! CString s1; s0.Format(_T("The ID = %l"), theApp.m_arArray[theApp.m_gIndex].lKeyID); AfxMessageBox(s0); Thanks in advance, JSmith please consider s0 ans s1 same. "JSmith" <jsmithmitra@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ODgdSrVrEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello group, > > Why this code raises an exception error?! > > CString s1; > s0.Format(_T("The ID = %l"), theApp.m_arArray[theApp.m_gIndex].lKeyID); > AfxMessageBox(s0); > > Thanks in advance, > JSmith > >...

Formula Question?
This formula works great! =Lookup (9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet1!G:G) But...can someone explain to me what the 9.99999999999999E+307 is for? 9.99999999999999E+307 is the maximum number XL handles. So LOOKUP() will return the highest number less than that. In article <0e5301c46eb1$68dbd280$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > This formula works great! =Lookup > (9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet1!G:G) But...can someone > explain to me what the 9.99999999999999E+307 is for? ...

Exchange 2003 Questions #2
Hi, I already have in place my forest root w2k3 domain and will be planning to use Exchange 2003. Our company AD structures will contain chicd domains and another other forest domains. With trust established between forest to forest; a. can my child domain users be able to utilize Exchange easily? b. How about between forests will users be able to utilize Exchnage of the other forest domain? Appreciate any replies. Thanks TagaR a) Yes. Definetely. Any user in your forest can have a mailbox b) Yes, though you'll need to provision disabled accounts in your forest for every mailbox e...

Javascript Question
Hey everyone, I have a question regarding Excel that I can't seem to locate an answe for. I copied and pasted a bunch of information from ESPN onto an Exce Spreadsheet. I wanted to categorize the date but everytime I click o the cell I am directed to a webpage due to a javascript. How do yo remove the javascript? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it! Joh -- jmkrat ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmkratt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3784 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php...

another dumb question?!
A pretty basic C++ question... Would someone be able to explain to me, in jo's term: Why do you need a copy constructor with an assignemnt operator= ? The reason I ask is that is there a lot of duplicate code, too much typing. The two defintions are identical except for the return value. Ta peeps Henry Well, I'm sure that there is a logical answer to this question but I don't know it. As for the duplicate code, I have my copy constructor call my operator= function so there is minimal code duplication, something like this... CMyObject::CMyObject( CMyObject& myObj ) { ...

Passing value to bound control on subform
I have a form with 4 subforms in a tab subform control. I generate a purchase order number in the parent form with I want to use to set the value of a bound control on one of the subforms. I thought this should be easy but I'm have trouble getting it to work. Link the two fields in Master/Child links. These are properties of the subform control. So the Parent field is the master, the subform field is the child. Steve "Duck" wrote: > I have a form with 4 subforms in a tab subform control. I generate a > purchase order number in the parent form with I want to use to...

Dumb questions from a newbie
I just downloaded the trial version of Money and have two incredibly stupid questions that I can't find answers for in the manuals. 1. When I set up an account it just asks the names of my bank and never asks if it is checking or savings or whatever. How do I distinguish between the two? 2. On the default register screen that comes up the columns for Payments, Deposits, and balance are wide enough to accommodate checks in the amount of $100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 (I counted them myself). Heck, I don't write checks that big but two or three times a month! Seriously,...

Vlookup question #8
When pulling values through from a table array, is there any way that the formatting can be pulled through too, not just the value? (Office 2003) -- Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me) No, a formula can only return a value. If the format applied to the table was conditionally formatted, then you could apply the same conditions to the cell with the formula. Hope this helps. Pete On Feb 13, 8:34=A0am, Paul Hyett <vidcap...@invalid83261.co.uk> wrote: > When pulling values through from a table array, is there any way that >...

More dumb and stupid Microsoft programmers' dumb crap: The radian
Excel does sine, cosine , and tangent for radians and not degrees. This is crapola. Nobody works in radians in the real world. We use degrees but for over 10 years the Microsoft team just can't get their heads out of their arses. Oh yes, Internet Explorer 8 no longer searches for words and phrases in the last frame where the left mouse clicks. No, now this crapola searches all the frames. Oh yes, they say frames are obsolete. Bull, frames are alive and well. CSS sucks. Vista sucks, too. Bug after bug in Vista. Now it won't record PowerPoint using Camtasia without reco...

Money 07 LP dumbed down more?
Do I recall correctly that Money Deluxe used to permit different rates of return for pre-retirement vs post-retirement? That no longer seems to be the case. I tried to change my "Before Retirement" expected returns to current actual returns, and my "After retirement" to 6.5%. Money 2007 won't allow that. If you change one rate, it changes the other. If that's not a malfunction, I don't have a clue why the periods would be listed separately. -- Chris Cowles Gainesville, FL I didn't try changing mine in the production file, but I still see both ra...

Another Easy Access Questions
Again, I am new to access so thank you all in advance for your help. Your information and guidance is great. I have an input form where I have a user input a store#. I then run a VBA (onUpdate) to validate that the store exists in the table. I do this by opening a recordset and then do an "if recordset.eof and recordset.bof then msgbox "does not exist". Here are my questions: 1. Is there a way to make the user only input numeric values? All the stores are numeric and the recordset fails if a character is entered? Or maybe check to see if it is a character and do not open...

Macro Question #3
How do I get a sheet to move to the end of the workbook in excel. Thanks Greg Record a macro and you'll see it! Regards, Stefi „Greg” ezt írta: > How do I get a sheet to move to the end of the workbook in excel. > > Thanks > > Greg > > > right click on the sheet tab select "Copy or Move" then select "Move to End" Regards Hans Hi flummy, I think Greg wants a macro doing this, because I read his very similar question among the Programming topics! Greg, record as a macro what flummi said! Stefi „flummi” ezt írta: &...

How do I color the page tabs in Excell Worksheets?
What version of Excel? In 2002 or later you can Right-Click on a tab and pick a color. Previous versions won't let you do this. tj "MissDaizy" wrote: > Settled that proplem. Thank you. I noticed it on my work computer - couldn't do it at home - now I know why, I have version 2000 at home. "tjtjjtjt" wrote: > What version of Excel? In 2002 or later you can Right-Click on a tab and pick > a color. Previous versions won't let you do this. > > tj > > "MissDaizy" wrote: > > > ...

Backup question

a question and a question

No MS Money Release in 2009...Question
I have read that Microsoft has announced that there will be no Money release in 2009. My Money Plus is set to expire on 08/09/2009. What is Money doing for those who are set to expire? Will we have to worry? Only time will tell for sure. Nothing has been announced yet. My **suspicion** is that either a) Microsoft will come up with some way to take your money to extend that date, or b) the date won't be immediately enforced. But I could be completely wrong. <nomail@mybox.net> wrote in message news:13prq4907108c9ae1re0r2sjfvomll47jp@4ax.com... >I have read that Microsoft...