Display problem on the SubForm

Hi,

I have two bounded ComboBoxes, cbxDrName & cbxDrComment, on a SubForm
(MySubForm). What I want to do is when people select a name from cbxDrName,
the cbxDrComment will display a certain doctor's comments for selection. It
works well with the following codes if I open the SubForm by itself.

Private Sub cbxDrName_AfterUpdate()
    Me![cbxDrComment].Requery
    Me![ cbxDrComment] = ""
End Sub

RowSource in my cbxDrComment is SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment
WHERE (((tbComment.DrName)=[Forms]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName]));

If I place MySubForm on a MainForm (MyMainForm), Access will pop up a
windows to let me input cbxDrName when I open MyMainForm with MySubForm on it.

Your help will be appreciated.
--
Jeff

place the name of your main form also in the rowsource... like:

RowSource in my cbxDrComment is SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment
WHERE (((tbComment.DrName)=[Forms]![Mainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName]));

replace the [Mainform] with the name of the mainform name and give it a go..
--
Maurice Ausum

"Jeff" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two bounded ComboBoxes, cbxDrName & cbxDrComment, on a SubForm
> (MySubForm). What I want to do is when people select a name from cbxDrName,
> the cbxDrComment will display a certain doctor's comments for selection. It
> works well with the following codes if I open the SubForm by itself.
>
> Private Sub cbxDrName_AfterUpdate()
>     Me![cbxDrComment].Requery
>     Me![ cbxDrComment] = ""
> End Sub
>
> RowSource in my cbxDrComment is SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment
> WHERE (((tbComment.DrName)=[Forms]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName]));
>
> If I place MySubForm on a MainForm (MyMainForm), Access will pop up a
> windows to let me input cbxDrName when I open MyMainForm with MySubForm on it.
>
> Your help will be appreciated.
> --
> Jeff
Hi Maurice,
Thank you very much for your quick response. It still pops up a windows to
let me input cbxDrName. It's very curious, I use this method on a single form
several times and it works well. I also try that clause with .......WHERE
(((tbComment.DrName)='John')) and it works. There must be something wrong
with this clause. Is there any difference if cbxDrComment is bounded or
unbounded?
Jeff

"Maurice" 來函:

> place the name of your main form also in the rowsource... like:
>
> RowSource in my cbxDrComment is SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment
> WHERE (((tbComment.DrName)=[Forms]![Mainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName]));
>
> replace the [Mainform] with the name of the mainform name and give it a go..
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "Jeff" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two bounded ComboBoxes, cbxDrName & cbxDrComment, on a SubForm
> > (MySubForm). What I want to do is when people select a name from cbxDrName,
> > the cbxDrComment will display a certain doctor's comments for selection. It
> > works well with the following codes if I open the SubForm by itself.
> >
> > Private Sub cbxDrName_AfterUpdate()
> >     Me![cbxDrComment].Requery
> >     Me![ cbxDrComment] = ""
> > End Sub
> >
> > RowSource in my cbxDrComment is SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment
> > WHERE (((tbComment.DrName)=[Forms]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName]));
> >
> > If I place MySubForm on a MainForm (MyMainForm), Access will pop up a
> > windows to let me input cbxDrName when I open MyMainForm with MySubForm on it.
> >
> > Your help will be appreciated.
> > --
> > Jeff
Ok it's a string value you are returning, try this:

SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment  WHERE tbComment.DrName ='" &
[Forms]![Mainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName] & "'"

That's a double, single and a double quote again after the & -sign
and a single and a double quote after the = -sign
--
Maurice Ausum

"Jeff" wrote:

> Hi Maurice,
> Thank you very much for your quick response. It still pops up a windows to
> let me input cbxDrName. It's very curious, I use this method on a single form
> several times and it works well. I also try that clause with .......WHERE
> (((tbComment.DrName)='John')) and it works. There must be something wrong
> with this clause. Is there any difference if cbxDrComment is bounded or
> unbounded?
> Jeff
>

> "Maurice" 來函:
>
> > place the name of your main form also in the rowsource... like:
> >
> > RowSource in my cbxDrComment is SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment
> > WHERE (((tbComment.DrName)=[Forms]![Mainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName]));
> >
> > replace the [Mainform] with the name of the mainform name and give it a go..
> > --
> > Maurice Ausum
> >

> > "Jeff" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have two bounded ComboBoxes, cbxDrName & cbxDrComment, on a SubForm
> > > (MySubForm). What I want to do is when people select a name from cbxDrName,
> > > the cbxDrComment will display a certain doctor's comments for selection. It
> > > works well with the following codes if I open the SubForm by itself.
> > >
> > > Private Sub cbxDrName_AfterUpdate()
> > >     Me![cbxDrComment].Requery
> > >     Me![ cbxDrComment] = ""
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > RowSource in my cbxDrComment is SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment
> > > WHERE (((tbComment.DrName)=[Forms]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName]));
> > >
> > > If I place MySubForm on a MainForm (MyMainForm), Access will pop up a
> > > windows to let me input cbxDrName when I open MyMainForm with MySubForm on it.
> > >
> > > Your help will be appreciated.
> > > --
> > > Jeff
Hi Maurice,

Thank you. Access returns a syntax error. I even build a Query and place the
Query in cbxComment's RowSource, but it still doesn't work.
--
Jeff

"Maurice" 來函:

> Ok it's a string value you are returning, try this:
>
> SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment  WHERE tbComment.DrName ='" &
> [Forms]![Mainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName] & "'"
>
> That's a double, single and a double quote again after the & -sign
> and a single and a double quote after the = -sign
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "Jeff" wrote:
>
> > Hi Maurice,
> > Thank you very much for your quick response. It still pops up a windows to
> > let me input cbxDrName. It's very curious, I use this method on a single form
> > several times and it works well. I also try that clause with .......WHERE
> > (((tbComment.DrName)='John')) and it works. There must be something wrong
> > with this clause. Is there any difference if cbxDrComment is bounded or
> > unbounded?
> > Jeff
> >

> > "Maurice" 來函:
> >
> > > place the name of your main form also in the rowsource... like:
> > >
> > > RowSource in my cbxDrComment is SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment
> > > WHERE (((tbComment.DrName)=[Forms]![Mainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName]));
> > >
> > > replace the [Mainform] with the name of the mainform name and give it a go..
> > > --
> > > Maurice Ausum

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the delay...

Did you replace the [Mainform] bit for [MyMainform]?

it should look like this at the end:

SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment  WHERE tbComment.DrName ='" &
[Forms]![MyMainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName] & "'"

because in the initial post you state that the name of your mainform is
MyMainform. In the previous samples we are referring to [Mainform].

hth
--
Maurice Ausum

"Jeff" wrote:

> Hi Maurice,
>
> Thank you. Access returns a syntax error. I even build a Query and place the
> Query in cbxComment's RowSource, but it still doesn't work.
> --
> Jeff
>

> "Maurice" 來函:
>
> > Ok it's a string value you are returning, try this:
> >
> > SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment  WHERE tbComment.DrName ='" &
> > [Forms]![Mainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName] & "'"
> >
> > That's a double, single and a double quote again after the & -sign
> > and a single and a double quote after the = -sign
> > --
> > Maurice Ausum
> >

> > "Jeff" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Maurice,
> > > Thank you very much for your quick response. It still pops up a windows to
> > > let me input cbxDrName. It's very curious, I use this method on a single form
> > > several times and it works well. I also try that clause with .......WHERE
> > > (((tbComment.DrName)='John')) and it works. There must be something wrong
> > > with this clause. Is there any difference if cbxDrComment is bounded or
> > > unbounded?
> > > Jeff
> > >

> > > "Maurice" 來函:

Hi Maurice,

I am sorry I forgot to mention that I place that clause in the control's
RowSource, not in VBA codes. I finally get it work by changing the name of
the SubForm control to make it different from the name of the SubForm, and
refer to the SubForm control in stead of referring to the SubForm. It works
as follow:

Forms!MyMainForm!SubformControl.Form!cbxDrName

I found this in other posts in this forum. Anyway, thank you very much.

--
Jeff

"Maurice" wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Sorry for the delay...
>
> Did you replace the [Mainform] bit for [MyMainform]?
>
> it should look like this at the end:
>
> SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment  WHERE tbComment.DrName ='" &
> [Forms]![MyMainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName] & "'"
>
> because in the initial post you state that the name of your mainform is
> MyMainform. In the previous samples we are referring to [Mainform].
>

> hth
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "Jeff" wrote:
>
> > Hi Maurice,
> >
> > Thank you. Access returns a syntax error. I even build a Query and place the
> > Query in cbxComment's RowSource, but it still doesn't work.
> > --
> > Jeff
> >

> > "Maurice" 來函:
> >
> > > Ok it's a string value you are returning, try this:
> > >
> > > SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment  WHERE tbComment.DrName ='" &
> > > [Forms]![Mainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName] & "'"
> > >
> > > That's a double, single and a double quote again after the & -sign
> > > and a single and a double quote after the = -sign
> > > --
> > > Maurice Ausum

No problem glad you got it working :-)

Tip:  Forms!MyMainForm!SubformControl.Form!cbxDrName

memorize this line your going to need it a lot!

cheers.
--
Maurice Ausum

"Jeff" wrote:

> Hi Maurice,
>
> I am sorry I forgot to mention that I place that clause in the control's
> RowSource, not in VBA codes. I finally get it work by changing the name of
> the SubForm control to make it different from the name of the SubForm, and
> refer to the SubForm control in stead of referring to the SubForm. It works
> as follow:
>
> Forms!MyMainForm!SubformControl.Form!cbxDrName
>
> I found this in other posts in this forum. Anyway, thank you very much.
>
> --
> Jeff
>

> "Maurice" wrote:
>
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > Sorry for the delay...
> >
> > Did you replace the [Mainform] bit for [MyMainform]?
> >
> > it should look like this at the end:
> >
> > SELECT tbComment.DrComment FROM tbComment  WHERE tbComment.DrName ='" &
> > [Forms]![MyMainform]![MySubForm].[cbxDrName] & "'"
> >
> > because in the initial post you state that the name of your mainform is
> > MyMainform. In the previous samples we are referring to [Mainform].
> >

> > hth
> > --
> > Maurice Ausum
> >

> > "Jeff" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Maurice,
> > >
> > > Thank you. Access returns a syntax error. I even build a Query and place the
> > > Query in cbxComment's RowSource, but it still doesn't work.
> > > --
> > > Jeff
> > >

> > > "Maurice" 來函:

Problems with attachments #2
I have not been able to send attachments from Outlook that originate with my machine (I have win ME on a Dell laptop). Also, some people will get the attachment, but it will be changed from .doc to .dat, etc. However, I can forward attachments sent to me and the recipients will get them. Please help! Thanks. Make sure you use HTML or Plain Text format when sending messages to users of any other e-mail client besides Outlook. Don't use Rich Text format, which is proprietary to Outlook and will cause problems for other recipients, one of which is that they won't get your attac...

Access 2007 Upgrade Problems
Help! A couple of years ago I created an assets database using Access 2003. Recently our computers were upgraded to Office 2007. I have been using my assets database using the new Access 2007 and have updated and changed a lot of objects. For the most part, it works OK. One thing I tried that did not work is saving my assets database as an Access 2007 database. When I try, I get a warning message telling me that all open objects must first be closed before the conversion can take place. The same warning dialog asks me if I want Microsoft Offfice Access to close the objec...

Dual Displays

Folder could not be displayed

How to select & display distinct values

Display Time in Outlook

Problem writing to 2nd table w/ 1st table's key
Hi everyone. I'm as new to VBA as you can get. Please bear this in mind when viewing my code. I'm self teaching myself and its not going so well. Anyhow, I was hoping that someone could explain what I'm doing wrong. I'm working on a small checklist program that were using out in the field to perform safety inspections. I set my database up similar to an ordering system in that I have a table named Inspections which I'm storing the building and owner data & another table named DeficiencyDetail where I'm attempting to store each separate deficiency. An inspecti...

Slight Problem
I have the following code but when the cancel button on my input box is pressed the "invalid password" message is still displayed. Can someone help so when the cancel button is pressed then that is exactly what happens, the input box is cancelled. Dim MyStr1 As String, MyStr2 As String MyStr2 = ("engineering") MyStr1 = InputBox("Please Enter The Required Password") If MyStr1 = MyStr2 Then Sheets("Sheet2").Select Range("A9").Select Else MsgBox "Incorrect Password. Access Denied", vbCritical Range...

PK and FK Displayed

Reinstall problems...
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Okay so...my imac crashed a couple days ago so I rebooted the drive...mostly just resetting permission etc... When I restarted and logged in, any office program opened would crash promptly. So I uninstalled and reinstalled, only realizing that I had no removed the licensing info. When reinstalled using product key on box it will crashes, saying "..had to close unexpectedly", can't make head nor tails of the crash report. But this is my question: We have to boxes with product keys and four macs. Are we abl...

Accented Characters Problem

subform not loading before main form
Hi MS Access 2003 SP2 After I did some refactoring of the subform code, the subform just would not load. In fact, it skips the subform without any error, and fails to load the main form as the main form depends on the subform for some data. My problem was Private Const START_DATE as Date = "#00:00:00#" I had accidentally added quotation marks around the date literal. Since it was not throwing an error it took me 2 days to track down this simple mistake. Hope others won't have to waste so much time! Riyaz Compile --- Hi Riyaz, "Since it was not throwing an error i...

Formulas are displayed, results are not

moving Dialog problem
I make maximize dialog used 'ShowWindow(SW_MAXIMIZE)'. and void CEds1000_3Dlg::OnLButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { // TODO: Add your message handler code here and/or call default if(){ AfxGetMainWnd()->PostMessage(WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN, HTCAPTION, MAKELPARAM(point.x,point.y)); //moving dialog } CDialog::OnLButtonDown(nFlags, point); } but maximize dialog move, too. I want to don't move the maximize dialog. I dont understand how a maximized dialog is being moved by default. It should not. You should not need to handle OnLButtonDown. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ...

Outlook contact list problems
I cannot load the exchange contact list with outlook 2003. Since i have installed this version of outlook, i have a POP UP windows every time i push TO: button to get the exchange 2000 contact list from my domain The windows says that i cannot find the LDAP server I tried all the DC servers and i still having this problem, i cannot see the exchange contact list Please hel Dioxido dioxido <dioxido@sinectis.com.ar> wrote: > I cannot load the exchange contact list with outlook 2003. Since i > have installed this version of outlook, i have a POP UP windows every > time i push TO: ...

Stop displaying a line

Save All Attachments
Periodically, I get emails with several *.txt files attached (I am using Outlook 2000). Instead of saving the attachments one file at a time, I have tried to chose all the attachments, then save all of them. Sometimes this works well, and other times, I get the message that "The filename is not valid." Its like if I navigate to certain folders, it doesn't work but there is no real "weirdness" related to the folder name that I see. Does anyone know what's going on here? Is there some kind of limitation to the length of the path and file name? Any help appreciat...

Problems saving in Excel
When trying to save a document in Excel, it says that it can't because = there's=20 not enouh memory of free disk space, although both are available. Did anyone encounter / resolve this? Thanks, Roy Schwartz In article <8eed01c47878$f80fcc10$a501280a@phx.gbl>, "Roy Schwartz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When trying to save a document in Excel, it says that it can't > because there's not enouh memory of free disk space, although both > are available. > > Did anyone encounter / resolve this? What version of XL? What ...

xdebug <fstream> .Net 2003 problem
Using with .Net 2003 #include <fstream> using namespace std; I have compilation errors in c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7 \include\xdebug(line 29) compiling debug configuration. There is no problem with release configuration. Any idea why. Thanks ...

Display or not display series