Deactivate field based on other field value

What I need to do is have some of the fields on the form deactivated (grayed
out) untill the value in the preceding field is a certain value or text. I
can't use conditional formating because I would need to use the values in the
object fields to be the conditions. In this case I need a the value of a
different field to be the condition.

What is the best way to do this.

Thanks in advance.

0
injanib

YOu could place code in the before or after update to enable and disable the
controls.

I would have one function that updates all the forms controls and have each
of the other controls call the one funtion.  That way if a user goes back you
can update all the controls in one place.

injanib wrote:

>What I need to do is have some of the fields on the form deactivated (grayed
>out) untill the value in the preceding field is a certain value or text. I
>can't use conditional formating because I would need to use the values in the
>object fields to be the conditions. In this case I need a the value of a
>different field to be the condition.
>
>What is the best way to do this.

Use Conditional Formatting with the Expression Is: option.

[other control] = certainvalue OR Not IsNumeric([other
control])

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

in the form I have a field called "RSA Type" which is a combo box with three
options (NCN, Temp, RSA). I want to following fields to be activated only if
the "Temp" is selected in the "RSA Type" field.

Can you tell me what the expression should be in the conditional formating.

0
injanib
7/3/2007 6:41:43 PM
injanib wrote:
>in the form I have a field called "RSA Type" which is a combo box with three
>options (NCN, Temp, RSA). I want to following fields to be activated only if
>the "Temp" is selected in the "RSA Type" field.
>
>Can you tell me what the expression should be in the conditional formating.

For each of the text box controls that you want enabled:

Set the CF Default Format's enabled property to disabled.

Set the CF Condition 1 to:
	[RSA Type] = "Temp"
and the enabled property to Enabled

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

=AVERAGE (see underlying values?)
I am a novice at Excel 2007. Pete_UK has been very kind in helping me use the =AVERAGE formula. I have a new but related question: In the cell that contains the calculated average, is there an XL tool or something that would show the underlying numbers in the calculated average? I do not mean the formula or the cell addresses used. I mean the actual numbers. Example: If A2, R2, AA2 contain 2, 4, 6, the calculated average will be 4. Can I click on the cell containing the calculated "4" and see that XL obtained this from "2,4,6"? Jeff <Jeff@nospam.invalid> w...

Multi-field primary key, no dupes
I can select multiple fields and make a primary key indexed with no duplicates. But I just realized my criteria for "no dupes" holds only if another field is empty (no value). For example, if my primary key is: Shirts-Mens-Style102-Large-Green-05Jan08 then I can't enter another order for the same product on the same day. That's good - unless the order's been shipped and another one is needed. So no duplicates, but only as long as the ShipDate field for that record is empty. Can this be done easily? Or should I look into a different way to prevent duplicates? Ed ...

Execl 2007 Pivot Olap calculated Field
Hallo I have created an Pivotreport in Excel 2007. The source of these report is a Cube (Sql-Server 2005). I have two fields (Amount and Quantity), which I get from the cube. Now I want to generate a field, which is the product from Amount/Quantity. I thing this will be named calculated Field in Excel. But it is impossible to create this, because this command isn�t active. How can I solve this problem. Regards Manfred Hi, You can't create a calculated field from an olap (cube) file. If you want to make this calculation you will need to do it outside the pivot table. -- Thank...

changing GAL view fields in Outlook
I have Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 clients. I want to add and remove some of the default fields when opening the GAL in Outlook > (tools/ Address Book). The default fields are: Name; Business Phone; Title; Company; Alias; E-mail type; E-mail Address. I want to add Home Phone and Mobile phone (fields that are already in AD) to this list and I want to remove the fields: E-mail Type and E- mail Address. I know I can view it if I double click on the person but I want to be able to view all at once instead of wasting time opening each one. TIA .. As far as I know, there's ...

Index fields and formatting
Hi I've inherited a document and some of the index fields - XE - are formatted as bold and I want to remove the formatting. I found a similar post going back to 2005 and the answer then was use paragraph formatting. I have Word 2003 and 2007 and just wondering if this is still the case. Also, is there a way to bold the text without bolding the index field. Bolding the line with fields switched off still bolds the field. Many thanks Ian To change the formatting applied to the XE (index entry) fields, you can make use of Find and Replace. Display the Find and Repla...

Set Y-Axis max value to cell value without VBA?
I'm working on a home-grown pareto chart in my workbook; the data will change and I'd like to dynamically have the (primary) Y-Axis max match the sum of all values so that that it will synch with the secondary Y-axis which will always have my 0-100% of the total (line). Is there an easy way to force the primary Y-axis to have a maximum value matching a cell in my worksheet? Thanks, Keith You need VBA, but it's not terribly hard. Here's how (my site): http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html and here's a utility that handles the heavy lifting for yo...

assign formatted cell value to another cell
Hello everyone! If A1 has a floating point number for a date, e.g. 39647.25 for 2008-07-18 06:00:00 and I want to have that formatted string in a new cell - does anyone know a formula to apply to another column, so it puts the *formatted* value there, instead of the original number? I want the string "2008-07-18 06:00:00" as the value of my new cell, and I can't find a way to do that with a Range formula at the moment (I want to avoid looping over each row and doing it manually in VBA, for speed reasons). Thanks in advance! Lars =TEXT(A1,"yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss&q...

Deactivating an account does not deactivate the contacts?
I was asked by a user why, when an account is deactivated, the contacts are not deactivated as well. I had never noticed this but can not seem to find any information on this. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is this correct? I believe this is "expected" functionality. CRM seems to have been designed to make as few assumptions as possible as to how the average user might use it, or expect it to respond. Can be frustrating, but it's an early version. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "JenniferW" wrote: > I was asked by a user why, wh...

Auto-populating a reference field
In the Purchasing module within the Payable Transaction Entry Distribution window, we have the ability to type a description of a transaction on the Distribution Reference field. Is there a way to automatically populate each entry with the vendor name and voucher number? Scott, There is nothing like this out of the box, you might need to write few VBA lines of code to have this done. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 Great Package For Business Solutions daoudm@greatpbs.com http://www.greatpbs.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "S...

Change to Opportunity fields when record is modified
This seems like an easy thing to do, but some how I'm just not getting it. We have structured our CRM 3.0 to use the Solution Sales model. We have modified the sales rating fields in both Lead and Opportunity screens to work on a 1 to 10 basis instead of Cold/Warm/Hot. We want to set the probablity field to reflect this 10 step process. We have done this successfully with a manual rule to update the probablity percentage based on the stage of the sales rating. All is well so far. Now we want to trigger the above rule whenever the sales rating field is modified, or alternatively, w...

SCALING OF DECIMAL VALUE RESULTED IN DATA TRUNCATION
Hi, I'm getting a "SCALING OF DECIMAL VALUE RESULTED IN DATA TRUNCATION" error when I run a query that has an expression in it. I'm using linked (ODBC from iSeries) tables and I think it is because the data type is set to decimal but I can't change it because it is a linked table. Any suggestions. On Sep 7, 12:14 pm, SteveM <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What is your expression? > > Steve > > > > "James" wrote: > > Hi, > > > I'm getting a "SCALING OF DECIMAL VALUE RESULTED IN DATA TRUNCATION&quo...

created by field
I had a field named created by that would pull in the network user name, then date and time record was created as shown below: sbingaman 12/27/2007 7:42:15 AM what do i need to do to get this to repopulate automatically again? i can't seem to find the same post that helped me create it. Thanks. -- Scott Scott First things first... When you stuff more than one fact in a single field, you make more work for yourself, for Access and for anyone who tries to maintain/understand your database. Instead of using a single text field, consider two fields: [CreatedBy] (network user ...

Pivot Table
I'm building out some financial reports where the titles change every month - consequently changes my calculated field refrences. The sequence or position of the fields doesn't change & the ideal solution for me would be to reference the pivot fields with an index number. I've made several attempts and done quite a bit of searching with no luck. Working with Excel 2007. My code is below and the code that doesn't work is inside the With block. Basically, I'm creating the Pivot Table using VBA - inside the with block not displayed I'm adding Page Fi...

Should forms be created based on tables or queries, or does it mat
Title prettly much says it all. Is it better to create forms based on table or queries? Or, is there any real difference? If so, are there any benefits with one or the other? I'm fairly new at this and was just wondering what the logic or path of thought I should be using to create my database. Thanks in advance. I always base my forms on queries. The benefit is that you can control the order in which the records are presented by using an appropriate ORDER BY clause in the query. In addition, if not all of the fields (or not all the rows) are required for the specifi...

Using (1), (2), (3), etc. in Risks and Issues Category values?
Do most of you use numbers, like (1), (2), (3), to define Category values for Risks and Issues to keep it "the same" as the out-of-the- box values for Status? Just curious. Thanks Andy Novak UNT Andy, I have used both with numbers and without for projects, based on the clients maturity. I would suggest if you want to make it as easy as possible to differentiate between the different risk and issues categories, put the number in, it makes it much easier to see. Alex. On Feb 20, 8:48=A0am, "ano...@unt.edu" <ano...@unt.edu> wrote: > Do most of y...

rule for detecting something in bcc field
I would like to set up a rule to detect if there are recipients in the bcc field and then put it in a folder. I don't need to know who those recipients are, just that someone has been bcc'd. I'm using Outlook 2002. Is this possible? nope -- Robert Cohen A legend in his own mind -- "corsolini" <corsolini@iwon.com> wrote in message news:b85493c6.0402191210.5deb9d9e@posting.google.com... > I would like to set up a rule to detect if there are recipients in the > bcc field and then put it in a folder. I don't need to know who those > recipients are, just ...

Blank To field with Outlook 2003 and IMAP
Hello, I'm encountering the following problem ... I've configured Outlook 2003 SP2 with an IMAP account, and in the "Sent Items" the fied "To" is blank. It only appears if I download the message. Any idea to solve this issue ? Thanks ... Michel ...

Finding rows that contain Keyword1and Keyword2 in any part of field in Column A, B or D
I need to find rows that contain Keyword1and Keyword2 in any part of field in Column A, B or D For instance : Col.A Col.B Col.D 1. WordX Keyword1 WordZ 2. Keyword2 WordY Prefix&Keyword1 3. Keyword1 4. Keyword1 WordZ Keyword2&Suffix In this case, rows 3 and 4 would be retrieved Help appreciated, J.P. I think you meant that rows 2 and 4 would be retrieved, not rows 3 and 4, right? If so, give this code a try... Dim X As Long, Joined As String, Answer As String Dim R As Range, SearchRange As Rang...

Which field in a VARIANT is for a pointer?
Hi, Does everybody knows that which field in a VARIANT should I use to store a pointer (to any type, e.g. a user defined class)? Could I use VT_I4 and lVal? Thanks for your help. Tony I think I would use... VARIANT v; v.vt= VT_I4 | VT_BYREF; v.byref= (void*)pObject; There are various pointers in the variant structure so there may be better options available depending on what you want a pointer to. -- Frank "May Young" <tony@srac.com> wrote in message news:40AA5D21.1070507@srac.com... > Hi, > > Does everybody knows that which field in a VARIANT should I us...

Excel Auto Populate Fields
I am working with two seprate worksheets. There is Data on one sheet that I will manually input, what I want to do is have that data move from worksheet 1 to worksheet two (in a desgnated cell) once two critirias are met in two seprate cells. For expamle: When William makes a Sale, I want the name of the Company to be copied from the list on worksheet 1. Sinc eI have Mark and William, I only want the data from William to move and only if one cell says "Set" and another Says "Sale". This is the formula I used: =IF((AND(Daily!C3:C101="William",Daily!B3:B101=...

StyleRef Field in Headers to Show Chapters/Sections
New to fields...I want my headers to show chapters on the even page and sections in the odd pages. When I put a simple StyleRef field in I'm not getting what I want...here is what I would like it to do: - if a chapter has not started yet (as in the preface pages) then I would like it to be blank rather than picking up the chapter that will be 10 pages later. - same with the section I guess I'd like both to search starting from the bottom of the page the field is currently on...and go backwards through the document to the most recently started chapter/section. I'm s...

Customize Enterprise Task Field
I want to create a customize Enterprise Task field in which the formula will use which calculate of different built-In fields which I can use in the all Gantt Chart of all projects. How i can do this ? If I understand you properly, you would like to create a task level Enterprise Field referencing out of the box fields that will then surface in the Enterprise Gantt Chart View. Is that in the bar chart or the table to the left of the view? If the first, then: 1) Navigate to PWA 2) Go to Server Settings 3) Select Custom Fields 4) Create a new custom field with the appropri...

Display only the field with value
I have the report to display only the record with value...May i know the way? For example some record might not have value in certain field and I only want to showed the one with value.... Thank you.. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200705/1 Thanks a for helping... Duane Hookom wrote: >You open the report's record source in design view (query design) as set the >criteria under a field/column to: > Is Not Null > >> I have the report to display only the record with value...May i know the way? >>...

Linq to sql - object designer
Hi. I have a winform and a few texteditfields. These are bound to the result from a linq query: var person = ProjectGlobal.rd.ER_Persons.Single(c => c.LogonId == ALogonId.ToUpper()); The query gets the person of the entered logon-id. Next, the persons departments are feched: var sections = from s in ProjectGlobal.rd.ER_Person_Sections where s.Person_Id == person.Person_Id select s; The results from this query is databinded to a DataGridView. The result columns is Person_Id and Section_Code. And these two columns are then shown in t...

Text Field
Hi, I want to create a text field for users to enter in Excel. The amoun of text can be pretty large especially for case recordings. One of th users complained that Excel does not work like Word, where the text wil go to the next line automatically. For Excel, the text spill over. Yo would have to arrange them for printing, do line-break manually. tried wrap text and merge cells, it worked well for the first fe lines. For the rest of the text, it became messy. And it cant displa the whole text, the max row height is 409 -- mejame -----------------------------------------------------------...