Copying fields in backend - 16470

Hi Access Group.

Can somebody help me with my problem.

Scenarium:

I have an Access backend, only with tables ;-).  These tables are
updated with data written from a program which is not developed in
Access. I have no forms in the backend in which I can call Modules or
Subcodes.

What I need is that when the table "tbl_prod" has been updated with
new data, then the text value of field "tbl_prod.Article" is to be
copied into the emty field "tbl_prod.Barcode" of the updated record.

Is it possible to made this copy only in the table field settings, or
can it be done without Forms. How can I get the "copycode" executed
when new data has been written to the table. This backend is then used
by a machine in which it is not possible to change the software or
field relations (interface).

If  You can help me with this, then it will minimize a lot of errors
with wrong manual keyed in Barcodes.

Best Regards

Class Olsen

0
nesalc

Why? In general, it's a bad idea to store data redundantly, which is what it
sounds like you're trying to do.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

<nesalc@mail.dk> wrote in message

> What I need is that when the table "tbl_prod" has been updated with
> new data, then the text value of field "tbl_prod.Article" is to be
> copied into the emty field "tbl_prod.Barcode" of the updated record.

0
Douglas
9/13/2007 10:52:09 AM
Hi Douglas.

Thank you for your quick reply. As a former database administrator I
agree with you at any time that it is a bad idea to store data
redundantly. But in this case I think that I have no choise. Normally
the mentioned fields are stored with different data but this case the
data is the same, so in order to minimize the numbers of errors I can
accept the stored data.

The machine which is looking into the table fields have an interface
in which I cannot change.

Do you have an idea.

Thank you in advanced

Regards Class

On 13 Sep., 12:52, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> Why? In general, it's a bad idea to store data redundantly, which is what=
 it
> sounds like you're trying to do.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> <nes...@mail.dk> wrote in message

> > What I need is that when the table "tbl_prod" has been updated with
> > new data, then the text value of field "tbl_prod.Article" is to be
> > copied into the emty field "tbl_prod.Barcode" of the updated record.- S=
kjul tekst i anf=F8rselstegn -

> - Vis tekst i anf=F8rselstegn -

0
nesalc
9/13/2007 12:03:43 PM
Can you create a query that duplicates that field and have the machine look
at that query rather than the table?

There's no equivalent to triggers in Access, so there's no way to
automatically run code after data insertion at the table level. (When you're
working with forms, you can use the AfterInsert or AfterUpdate events)

--

Hi Douglas.

Thank you for your quick reply. As a former database administrator I
agree with you at any time that it is a bad idea to store data
redundantly. But in this case I think that I have no choise. Normally
the mentioned fields are stored with different data but this case the
data is the same, so in order to minimize the numbers of errors I can
accept the stored data.

The machine which is looking into the table fields have an interface
in which I cannot change.

On 13 Sep., 12:52, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> Why? In general, it's a bad idea to store data redundantly, which is what
> it
> sounds like you're trying to do.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> <nes...@mail.dk> wrote in message
> > What I need is that when the table "tbl_prod" has been updated with
> > new data, then the text value of field "tbl_prod.Article" is to be
> > copied into the emty field "tbl_prod.Barcode" of the updated record.-
> > Skjul tekst i anf�rselstegn -

0
Douglas

Field can not be updated....Why?
Dear All, Why does access send me below error message "! Field can not be updated " I type some value to my field but the error message appear,I have to click OK 4 times and then the value I type is typed.And this condition occur for the first typing only then others work normally.?Any guidance? I think this error occur cause I input the data into a child table,but although the relationship is deleted, the problem still exist.Why? I use access 2000 and my form type is continuous form. I plan it to become subform.Please help.Any assist would be greatly appreciated.Thank's...

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Tab , setFocus doesn't hilite the text of the field
Hi, I have many fields that should be filled by the user. I added 2 more and I would like to change the tab order. I don't like using the numbers (after pressing Ctrl D, by clicking the fields I change the order) because I have too many fields and it takes time to do that. So I used the script, in each killFocus function I called setFocus function with the right field. The problem is that this function brings the cursor to the right field BUT it doesn't hilite the value in that field so in order to change this value I have first to hilite it. How can I hilite it by script? Th...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Query:When 1 field in a table is not = to another field (same tab
Does anybody know how I can do the following? I want to query a table to find when one field in that table does not match one of two other fields. The table in question pulls together data from several sources, and we want to find results where the one field does not have the same info as one or the other of the other two similar fields. For example, say we are discussing favorite color. Field A has it as "blue." If field B or C, or both also have it as "blue," we don't want to see that in our results. If field A has it as "blue" and neither B or C have...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

local copy of mail

Secondary Copy

Outlook 2000 SP3

CDaoTableDef
I'm developing an application that uses the MicroSoft Access Jet DB engine. This is being done using C++ in VS.net. I need to change the user's db when they use the new version of the program. In particular I need to change the length of a text field in a pre-existing db without loosing the user's data. When I wanted to add a new field I used CDaoTableDef and it worked fine, but I can't locate a method to just update an existing field's properties. Any Ideas on how this can be done?? Thanks, Neil Neil if you need to alter the attributes of a tabledef object, you ...

Copy picture ossice wizard

create calculated field for age in pivot tables
I need to create a calculated field for Age from the birth date within a Pivot Table (Excel Office 2007). I can not create age in the data set because it is pulling directly from a data source. I tried just using the formula =INT((TODAY()- Birthday)/365.25) but received an error. Hi That won't work because you cannot use NOW() or TODAY() in PT Calculated fields or items. I think the only way you can do it (approximately) if you cannot add a field to your source data, would be to make a calculated field with the formula =2010-Year(Birthday) -- Regards Roger G...

subtotal copy and paste

Copying graphs

Copying Views

Printing the Note Field in Report Writer
I'm re-creating the Payables Transaction Edit List report in Report Writer to include a number of fields not available of the original report. I am trying to get the information placed in the Note field to print as part of this new report. However the only option, I see is the note index which just gives the number. I was able to get the note to print using Smartlist Builder. Is there a way to do the same using Report Rriter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Alecia, this might help: http://www.vaidy-dyngp.com/2009/04/displaying-note-text-on-gp-report.html. It's not t...

Having a go with assembly... how do I copy a double into a register??
I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. Now if I declare my doubles as floats float f double d _asm { mov edx, f //ok mov edx, d //error operand size conflict Can someone show me the error of my ways??? Thanks "Si" <me@you.twang> wrote in message news:sm1gk0l60ng23gilu9b68hkcqi3ub9horn@4ax.com... > > > I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much > iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. > > Now if I de...

EXCEL FILE a copy/a copy/a copy ....filename
when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file itself so my file name of a file i save 7 times can have 7 'a copy' in it eg c./my doc/a copy/a copy/ a copy..............a copy/xx.xls Is the file saved as Read Only? Do you get a message on opening asking you if it's read only? Regards, Alan. "ve" <ve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88C3DEBA-2C2E-4DF0-978B-F823E120458A@microsoft.com... > when i save my excel file i get a saved copy of the file, not the file > itself so my file name of a file i save ...

copy of treeview
Hello, I have to copy information from a treeview to another treeview... The first TreeCtrl is in a dialog and the second it's in another dialog. The application is Dialog Based and I use my oen solution of property sheet. So if I want to call something from another dialog i make i this way: CResultsPageDlg resDlg((CMyAppDlg*)theApp.GetMainWnd()); resDlg.CopyTreeview(m_TreeView.GetRootItem(), m_TreeView.GetRootItem()); useing the solution from http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/treeview/dragdrop/article.php/c657/ Somebody knows how to do that? Alex What is CopyTreeview method...

everything I copy from explorer end up green in Excel How can I c.
How can I change this to copy the actual colors from the html file ??? "Sacs" wrote: > ...

no recurring pattern field for tasks in field chooser
I am trying to customize the current view of tasks in Outlook 2000. There is no "recurring pattern" field for tasks in the field chooser. Is this field available elsewhere, or is there an upgrade? ...

Adding Sort Field from Existing Data
I have a problem and if anybody could help I would really appreciate it. I have a field called subcondwgnumber which has entries such as PL100, RS2A, BP35A etc. I want to run some code that on an afterupdate of the subcondwgnumber takes the users entry and makes it an 8 or 9 digit sort number and then stores it in a field such as sortnumber such as the entries above would be PL000100, RS000002A, BP000035A. Please note that not all entries have a letter at the end so that this creates some difficulty. I am thinking: 1. Test subcondwgnumber user entry for letter at end 2. If there is, strip ...