Command Buttons Don't Work in Access 2007

Hello:

I'm sure there's a quick and easy answer to this question.

After doing all of my previous work in Access 2003, I just installed Access
2007. Much to my surprise, the first time I opened a custom form, none of the
command buttons on my form worked. I couldn't open a report, save a record,
run a query, etc. Can someone please explain why.

In addition, can you also take a couple of moments to highlight any
significant changes I should be aware of and kind of point me in the right
direction to make the transition to 2007 go a little smoother.

Thanks,
Robert

"Robert T" <RobertT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I'm sure there's a quick and easy answer to this question.
>
> After doing all of my previous work in Access 2003, I just installed
> Access
> 2007. Much to my surprise, the first time I opened a custom form, none of
> the
> command buttons on my form worked. I couldn't open a report, save a
> record,
> run a query, etc. Can someone please explain why.

VBA code is disabled in Access 2007 by default, as a security measure,
unless you explicitly enable it for the database or save the database in a
trusted location.  If the database is not in a trusted location, you should
see a message (just below the ribbon, I think) telling you that the code is
disabled.  Clicking on that message should give you an option to enable it.

(Note: this is from memory -- my work in Access 2007 is on a database in a
trusted location, so I haven't seen this message in a while.)

You can designate trusted locations via the Trust Center, accessible from
the Office button -> Access Options... -> Trust Center.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
2/11/2008 4:56:50 PM
Hello Dirk:

Thanks for the timely and informative explanation.

Robert

"Dirk Goldgar" wrote:

> "Robert T" <RobertT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >
> > I'm sure there's a quick and easy answer to this question.
> >
> > After doing all of my previous work in Access 2003, I just installed
> > Access
> > 2007. Much to my surprise, the first time I opened a custom form, none of
> > the
> > command buttons on my form worked. I couldn't open a report, save a
> > record,
> > run a query, etc. Can someone please explain why.
>
> VBA code is disabled in Access 2007 by default, as a security measure,
> unless you explicitly enable it for the database or save the database in a
> trusted location.  If the database is not in a trusted location, you should
> see a message (just below the ribbon, I think) telling you that the code is
> disabled.  Clicking on that message should give you an option to enable it.
>
> (Note: this is from memory -- my work in Access 2007 is on a database in a
> trusted location, so I haven't seen this message in a while.)
>
> You can designate trusted locations via the Trust Center, accessible from
> the Office button -> Access Options... -> Trust Center.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> www.datagnostics.com
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

How do I put input boxes and sumbit buttons in?
How do I put input boxes and sumbit buttons in excel vba? I am trying to make a address book manually using Excel VBA. Is there a way I can record multiple information into Excel after submitting info. All i have so far is being able to submit one bit of information into excel but I dont think it will stay if I save it. Like is there a way I can group multiple address information using excel VBA? If so how? What you want to do is not clear. Please post back and give us a step-by-step procedure of what you want to do and what you want Excel to do. HTH Otto "mikstr14" <m...

print preview command in Excel

Access Reports 11-27-07
In my access database, I created a check request report which recognizes a query. How do I get the report to go to the next record within a persons record if there are more than one expenses. It wants to print up a separate report for each expense which gives the report total an error, i.e. County Club Dues $260.00, Parking $48.00 are on two separate lines, however, it gives me a report for Country Club Dues and a separate half report for Parking. Is there a way in either query or the report to force it to go to the next record? If you mean a new page for each expense category, then...

macros will not assign to buttons
Help! I cannot assign macros to my custom buttons. The dialog box appears and I can select a macro but it does not save to the button. I believe this is related to another problem I had - which was my personal.xls file did not load on start even though it was in the xl start folder. I fixed that - it was disabled by excel which I fixed by going to about excel - disabled files and selecting enable. Now personal.xls loads - but the macros will not assign. What type of button? From Tools>Customize>Commands>Macros? These customizations are stored in a file named Excel(x).xlb wher...

Will a merge work
I would like to have a single generic letter but inside this letter I need to put a list of infractions. There are only 18 infractions that can go in this letter. But you will not use all the infractions the same but need to chose one or more of these infractions and put then in the same place in the letter. Would I create the infractions in excel and do a merge? Will the merge then give you the list where you can check only the infractions that you want? Or should I be doing something different. Thanks you would create an excel template of the letter. then create a...

ESEutil commands
I need a step by step guide on using eseutil. I need to learn how to use this tool to commit the logs to the database On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:09:02 -0800, "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need a step by step guide on using eseutil. I need to learn how to use this >tool to commit the logs to the database eseutil/? A full online backup of the store will commit the logs. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I have another site that will not have a backup solution in place until next month so i would to know how to flush the logs using this utility ...

Browser in Outlook 2007 window
My default browser is Firefox. I was playing with customising the Outlook toolbar and find that if I use the search icon - BING opens in the outlook window and the links stay in the window. However, if I use the browser command, Firefox proper opens. Is there a way of keeping the browser in Outlook? Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 -- Jim S Tyneside UK www.jimscott.co.uk You really should not use Outlook as an Internet Browser. Support for displaying web pages is actually only meant for the Home Folder feature and the Web Toolbar is mainly used for web references to O...

Excel 2007 Recently Opened Filed List
Excel 2007 is supposed to maintain a list of the last 50 opened files. I opened about 45 files at one time and my recently opened list shows only 28 filenames. There's nothing on the screen to suggest that I can scroll to another screen or that the list continues. Has anyone tried this and actually seen 50 files in the recently used list & if so does Excel display them all at once or in multiple screens? Any ideas? Thanks, Tanya The list does not scroll so it will only show 50 files if there is enough room between where the list starts and the Windows task bar. I got 50 to show (...

Outbound Mail has stopped working
Why would outbound mail all of the sudden stopped working on a MS Exchange 2000 Server. ...

Creating custom buttons #2
Hello, I would like to create screens of buttons so that the operators of the register can simply press a button to add an item for a sale. The system will be used at the end of a cafeteria type food line and I need to speed up the check out process. What I am thinking is having 3 buttons on one screen, Hot Food, Drinks, and Candy/Snacks. Then when the cashier presses Hot Food, another screen comes up that displays 1 button for each of the 16 current Hot Food items. When 1 of those items is selected, the Hot Food button screen should remain open until the user presses a Back button. ...

Command Button #4
I'm trying to create a command button to clear filters in my spreadsheet. I don't know how to write the commands, but can recored a macro and run it fine. I tried pasting that macro into the button....and I had it working then messed it up. Now when I click on the button, nothing happens. The code currently associated to the button is below. I really don't want Criteria1 to = 'Reject', but the one time the button worked if no filter was set and the button clicked, an error was returned. The only way I could make it work was to force a filter as part of the macro. How...

Outlook 2007: "Cannot save free/busy information"
Hi, all I have been getting the error message "Cannot save free/busy information" from Outlook frequently these days. It started when we changed our configuration from connecting to an Exchange server on the LAN to using a proxy Exchange server that forwards (I imagine) to another Exchange server on a different LAN. I have my profile configured to deliver to a local PST file. It seems that Outlook does successfully update free/busy info on the server sometimes; the error message appears fairly randomly - e.g. sometimes when I delete a meeting request, but not every time. An...

internet access 03-08-05
When I attempt to log on the login comes up, but then when I enter my user name and password, Exployer closes. Any ideas? Thanks, Antony disable any pop up blocker, like google toolbar, or Yahoo toolbar. SP2 if unpatched (server and client) can cause this as well. ...

command
how do you use command. A lot of computer people use it but how do we use it? Aaron You've reached a newsgroup dedicated to supporting the use of Microsoft Access, a relational database product. I don't see anything in your post that suggests you are asking about MS Access. Please post to a newsgroup that supports the area covered by your post. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "aaron" <aaron_t_d@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:78CB1423-55B3-40A1-8BF5-D4615E816057@microsoft.com... > how do you use command. A lot of computer people use i...

Programming "yield" function in Microsoft Access
Hi, I've been looking for a way to program/calculate "yield" function in Microsoft Access. I know this forum is for Excel users but the procedure I found on this form. This procedure was created by Mirna Larson back in 2004. Looks like everything should work and this is exactly what I need. However I=92m getting =93User defined type=94 error. I tried to use references to different libraries =96 same error. I=92m not an advanced Access VBA user. Basically I created a button on a form and inserted the code thinking that if this works I should be able to customize this late...

Set Increment on Spin Button to 0.1
I'm using a spin button from the control toolbar to increase the value in a cell. the min value i want is 0 the maximum is 2 but i want it to increase by 0.1 in the properties this doesn't seem to be allowed help!!!! Thanx Mark Mark, Here is one way. Link your spinbutton to an unused cell (I use) A15. Set the max to 20. Then in code, set the real cell's value like so Private Sub SpinButton1_SpinUp() Range("A16").Value = Range("A15").Value / 10 End Sub Private Sub SpinButton1_SpinDown() Range("A16").Value = Range("A15").Valu...

Customize Outlook Today Not Working
in OL 2000 Customize Outlook Today button does not respond on certin workstation, any ideas? http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820575 might be helpful. <David.Malandra@siemens.com> wrote in message news:016b01c3c0dd$a1a6e280$a301280a@phx.gbl... > in OL 2000 Customize Outlook Today button does not respond > on certin workstation, any ideas? In article <016b01c3c0dd$a1a6e280$a301280a@phx.gbl>, David.Malandra@siemens.com says... |in OL 2000 Customize Outlook Today button does not respond |on certin workstation, any ideas? | www.google.com - you'll get about 19,000 h...

return value from access into excel based on criteria or content
I have two unique challenges that I need help figuring out: 1. I have an access database of names Example: Name: Van Gogh, Vincent I have an excel sheet that has Name but may have incorrect spelling or variances. Example: Name: VanGogh, Vincent Vincent Van Gogh Van Go Vincent (etc) I would like to find a way to pull in the correct value for name and title from access into excel based on exact match, close match or keyword. 2. I would also like to do the same for name and title combination. Example- access database has Name and Title Name: Van Gogh Title: Starry Night the excel sheet...

command boxes from menu
I was working on word 2003, I had copied a portion of an online ebook to paste onto a new document, when I did right click to paste it on the doc. the command box appears outlined, no word commands, it's like a ghost. I then went to the menu at the top to Edit and find paste to do it from there and the same thing appeared; an outline of the command box, no word commands, it's like a ghost. I tried to pretend the words were there just not visible and moved my cursor to the position in which I thought paste was and clicked but nothing happened. Has anybody ever had this ...

regression lines and r-square in work sheets instead of charts
1. I am mathematically challenged 2. I have a series of numbers such as sales per month for a 60 month period. From these numbers I have to predict the next month, quarter’s sales. I have to (1) enter the historic data, (2) prepare a line graph, (3) add a trend line by choosing one of the regression types (4) set the period and ask for the r-square value, (5)"zoom in" on the graph to find the value. (6) go back to the worksheet and plug in the predicted number and the r-square value and (7) repeat steps 2-6 for each of the remaining 5 regression models. 3. I could enter the ...

UpdateData not working
I have a dialog with an edit control IDC_EDIT. I have associated a CString variable m_str with the edit control, via class wizard. I also have overridden the function OnOk() as follows: void CMyDialog::OnOK() { int startTime = m_startTimeEdit.m_time; int endTime = m_endTimeEdit.m_time; UpdateData(); // newStr is a public member of CMyDialog class newStr = m_str; CDialog::OnOK(); } When I call this dialog via DoModal(), i expect newStr to contain the contents of the edit control (updated contents if the control was modified). But I am observing that m_str and hence newStr still contai...

command
still learning of the sql command HOW TO DISABLE XP_CMDSHELL AND DISABLE BOTH MAIL PROCEDURES ...

Needed: a good MS-SQL book for Access users
Can anyone here recommend a good read for an accomplished Access user (my client) to get familiar with MS-SQL? In particular, he will be training others to use Access as a (read-only) front-end reporting tool, so he will probably need a pretty good understanding of views and sprocs that call them. I don't want to overwhelm him, though. Any Access users out there who have a suggestion? TIA--Big Slim "Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server" by Mary Chipman and Andy Baron. -- --Roger Carlson www.rogersaccesslibrary.com Reply to: Roger dot Carlson at Spectrum...

Outlook 2007 Locks up
Outlook 2007 locks up almost every time it is open. It is an Office 2007 Enterprise installation on a clean, updated XP workstation. I just unistalled Outlook and Reinstalled it with no improvement What to do ? Try disabling the RSS feeds to see if that helps. Does Outlook use Word as the email editor? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "steveb" wrote: > Outlook 2007 locks up almost every time it is open. It is an Office 2007 > Enterprise installation on a clean, updated XP workstation. > > I j...

expand.dat file missing? Safe mode Outlook, not working
I've done nothing out of the ordinary, save deleting, multiple files from Dreamweaver, and now Outlook won't launch. When I try to start, it suggests safe mode (otherwise it just shuts down). Safe mode doesn't work either, though, and a message pops up that expand.dat file may be missing, damaged or properties have changed. Should I uninstall/reinstall Outlook or is there a way to fix this? I use Outlook quite a bit. Thanks, any help is appreciated! Try deleting or renaming the extend.dat file -- Outlook will just create a new one, and deleting that file won't cause an...