Combo Box - Display other than 1st displayed column?

Hi,

AFTER a user has choosen a row from a combo box, it appears that the combo
box automatically display the first printable column.

Is there a way to display someother column than the 1st printable column?
Sometime I would like to print the 2nd or 3rd column.  Is there a way to do
this?

--
Dennis

Dennis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFTER a user has choosen a row from a combo box, it appears that the
> combo box automatically display the first printable column.
>
> Is there a way to display someother column than the 1st printable
> column? Sometime I would like to print the 2nd or 3rd column.  Is
> there a way to do this?

There are several ways.
The easist way is to just relate the table the combo box displays to the
table(s) the form is based on and then just drop those field next to teh
combo box.
No code is needed.

0
Mike
1/2/2010 4:46:24 AM
Dennis wrote:
>AFTER a user has choosen a row from a combo box, it appears that the combo
>box automatically display the first printable column.
>
>Is there a way to display someother column than the 1st printable column?
>Sometime I would like to print the 2nd or 3rd column.  Is there a way to do
>this?

Actually, it displays the first column with a non zero value
in its position in the ColumnWidths property.  If you want
to display more than that one column, add a text box with an
expression like  =combo1.Column(N) where N is the 0 based
number of the desired column.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

I'm sorry, I did not clearly state my question.  Please let me try again.

I have a combo box that selects three columns, part number, manufacturer,
and product description.  Part number has a zero length (is not displayed)
while manufacturer and product descriptions are displayed in the drop down
list.  However, once the user select a product, I want the product
description to be displayed in the combo box.  Instead the Manufacturer is
displayed.

The manufacturer, product description is the "normal" seqence for the users.
 Can I do this in single combo box or should I change the display sequence to
Product Description, Manufacturer?

Thanks,

--

Dennis

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 20:30:01 -0800, Dennis <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>AFTER a user has choosen a row from a combo box, it appears that the combo
>box automatically display the first printable column.
>
>Is there a way to display someother column than the 1st printable column?
>Sometime I would like to print the 2nd or 3rd column.  Is there a way to do
>this?

In addition to Mike's suggestion, you can put a textbox on the form with a
control source such as

=comboboxname.Column(n)

where n is the zero-based column number - e.g. (2) to display the third
column. This works even if the column in the combo is concealed by making it
of zero width.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
wrote:

>or should I change the display sequence to
>Product Description, Manufacturer?

Certainly the simplest solution!
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
Dennis wrote:
>I have a combo box that selects three columns, part number, manufacturer,
>and product description.  Part number has a zero length (is not displayed)
>while manufacturer and product descriptions are displayed in the drop down
>list.  However, once the user select a product, I want the product
>description to be displayed in the combo box.  Instead the Manufacturer is
>displayed.
>
>The manufacturer, product description is the "normal" seqence for the users.
> Can I do this in single combo box or should I change the display sequence to
>Product Description, Manufacturer?

Why not use a text box to display the description?

You cam get the combo box to disp;ay both values by
modifying its RowSource query to concatenate the two column
values into a single column:
	SELECT part number, manufacturer & " - " & description
	FROM table
but you might not like the way it looks.

If your form is displayed in continuous view, you can still
use a text box and do what Mike said.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Your definition of "printable column" and mine may not match.  What do you
mean by that?

Be aware that you do NOT need to see the value on the form in order to get
the value printed.

Do you wish to see BOTH Manufacturer and Product Description, rather than
seeing only one?

--

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
not constitute endorsement thereof.

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> AFTER a user has choosen a row from a combo box, it appears that the combo
> box automatically display the first printable column.
>
> Is there a way to display someother column than the 1st printable column?
> Sometime I would like to print the 2nd or 3rd column.  Is there a way to
> do
> this?
>
> --
> Dennis

0
Jeff
1/2/2010 2:34:26 PM
All,

Thanks for your suggestions.  After talking with the users, I was able to
come up with a compromise between what they wanted and your suggestions.

Thanks one and all.

--
Dennis

Question: removing cached Display Names
Hi, all... Our Outlook clients (2003, SP1) recently changed Exchange servers, and Exchange organizations. Prior to the move, users would key in the last name of a target mailbox in the To: field of a new message, and the correct Dispoay Name would appear (assuming they had sent to that user in the past). Now that we're pointing to the new server, keying in the same last name brings up the same Display Name, but there's no longer a corresponding name in the GAL - so the delivery fails. Users can manually select the To: button, bring up the GAL, and select their target mailbox and th...

Combo Box Filtering Macro #2
Sorry for the possible double post of this. Now I have a combo box setup with a list of specified items in Column A. Is there a filtering macro I can run with the box to filter the contents of column A.. The combo box is currently named combobox1 and lets say the range is A1:A10 of items in the list ...

How to stop toolbar drop box of entire cell contents
I keep getting a drop box in the toolbar that shows my entire cell contents and covers 1/4 of my screen. Would like it not to do that. What should I do? That is the formula bar you see expanding. Don't select any cells with great amounts of text or just don't display the formula bar. View>Formula Bar...........uncheck it. That's one thing I like about Excel 2007. The option to expand or not. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:27:04 -0700, cubanmamma <cubanmamma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I keep getting a drop box in t...

Linking Combo boxes
I have 2 combo boxes that I need to link. One is a list of contacts and the other is a list of Extensions. I have the tables all worked out so that the AutoID number is synched in both fields. How do I link these fields, so that when I select a contact, their extension is automatically updated? You just need to adjust the recordsource of the extension combo-box in the after_update event of the contact combo-box. But, is there a reason you're breaking it into 2 combo boxes instead of putting it together in 1? "szczmj70" wrote: > I have 2 combo boxes that I need to l...

Combining multiple columns into single column based one another field
What query would I need to convert this two field table - Test1 121 Test2 121 Test2 244 Test3 121 Test4 121 Test4 224 Test4 566 Test5 566 Test5 566 to this one - Test1 121 Test2 121, 244 Test3 121 Test4 121, 224, 566 Test5 566 Test5 566 Thanks in advance, Aine Answered under Reports... -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II <aine_canby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1189783028.600190.194270@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > What query would I need to convert this two field table ...

Excel 2007 won't display numbers on the vertical axis of column ch
I've been struggling for a while with this one and can't seem to find a solution. I want to plot some series in a column chart, with values ranging from 3E-18 to 8E-18. However, after plotting the chart, the vertical axis does not display the numbers; only 0 at the bottom with empty space up the rest of the left hand side. Is it because the numbers are so small? Nothing I change in format axis seems to alleviate this problem and I have plotted the same graph in Excel 2003 previously without a problem. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance Hi, Looks ...

Log display window
I have an application that prints messages to a log file. What I would like to do is create an "Activity Log" window that can be opened that will display the contents of the log. However, I would also like the Activity Log window to be updated whenever a new message is written to the log file. The log file has the potential to get very big (I've seen as large as 10MB) so just loading up the entire file may become difficult. Any suggestions on how I would go about doing this? Does anyone know of an MFC control implementation that would make this easier? I have been looking th...

Select last data in column for a graph
Hello, Is there an excel function that I can use to select the last cell that contains data to display in a chart? Do I have to write a macro for this? Thanks Dan No macro, just formulas in dynamic defined names: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/05/14/dynamic-charts/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "ASTDan" <ASTDan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2ABB9526-574C-4589-B6D4-6A9EDBB75C9D@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Is there an excel function that I ca...

unwanted text boxes that only appear when doc is printed
When previewing the created document there is no unwanted text boxes. Upon printing they appear and text is lost. ...

Sorting Multiple Columns in Excel 2003
I have this: 1 4 3 5 8 6 I want this: 1 3 4 5 6 8 Any Ideas? This is in Excel 2003. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice WPF DataGrid Custom Paging and Sorting http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/8a2ea78b-f1e3-45b4-93ef-32b2d802ae17/wpf-datagrid-custom-pagin.aspx To clarify: I have two colums. Each has some blanks and some numbers. I want the two colums sorted ascending taking into consideration the numbers in both and relative to both. Jason Perilla wrote: Sorting Multiple Columns in Excel 2003 29-Sep-09 I have this: 1 ...

How to extract rows according to a maximum for a column
Hi all, Sorry for this new post dealing with such a classical issue that seems trivial but that puzzles me: I have to deal with a 26 columms long Excel file (and about 3 000 rows) The file has this form (and 23 other columns :gender,address, social security number ...) Id Name Value 00001 GATES 345 00001 GATES 322 00003 JOBS 455 00003 JOBS 455 00003 JOBS 435 00003 JOBS 422 00005 GOSLING 123 00005 GOSLING 220 00005 GOSLING 125 00005 GOSLING 125 00008 BALMER 300 00008 BALMER 320 I want to extract from this data another sheet where all refNumbers (id) ...

How Do I Resize an Option Group so It Displays Horizontally?
Hello, I'm using Access 2003 and am relatively new to it. In a form, I've created an option group with 15 check boxes. The group is vertical, which I don't want. I'd prefer, if possible, for the group to be horizontal. Actually, I'd really prefer three rows with five options each. Is it possible to resize the option group, or configure it in such a way that it spreads out horizontally on the form, rather than vertically? When I try to resize it in design mode, nothing happens. Thank you! T. Hulot Yes it is quite easy to do it in design mode in the form. Select th...

Check box help in Word 2007
I have inserted check boxes into a document using the Check Box form field. The user has to go through the document, checking the boxes that apply in a particular client's situation, so it's different every time. I cannot lock the document because it is set up for a merge. Other than having to double click on the check box, then click checked, then click OK (phew!), is there a shortcut, a faster way to do check/uncheck these boxes? I seem to remember (perhaps it was an older version) that a simple double click used to check or uncheck the box. Which makes a lot more ...

Excel should provide an easy way to switch a column into a row, n.
A very useful feature for Excel would be the ability to easily switch a column of data into a row. This would allow a column of entries to be used as a row of headers, for example. Excel already allows switching a column into a row in the charting area, but not in the spreadsheet. One can work around this by exporting the column into Word, changing the delimiter between fields from a paragraph mark (normally hidden) to a comma, then re-importing the data into Excel - which will then be as a row. This would also allow Access to import the former column into a row, which could then be...

Display Excel list from vertical to horizontal
Hi, I would like to know the advanced Excel function or formula on how to display a list of data from vertical listing and be able to identify and display the next occurence of the same text, to be displayed horizontally for the return column. Here is an example: Sample data: Name Favourite colour John Smith Black John Smith Blue John Smith Orange Mary Singh Purple Sally Hansen Red Sally Hansen Green The layout I want to display is as follows: Name Favourite colour1 Favourite colour2 Favourite colour3 John Smit...

Missing fill in text box
My wife and I are using Publisher 2003 on a Toshiba laptop. When we open a document under my profile everything is fine. When we log off and open the same file under her profile some of the color is missing and all the fill in the text boxes disappears. Any thoughts? thanks, Peter Have you thought maybe her profile is corrupt? How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/en-us Does your wife have "high contrast" enabled in the Accessibility folder? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.o...

How to change background color of dialog boxes at touch of a button
How can I change the background color of my dialog boxes (main dialog box & pop-up dialog boxes) of my MFC application program? I would like to change the background color according to the selection of radio buttons. Thanks in advance for help. Handle OnCtlColor(or WM_CTLCOLOR) in your dialog class. If you want to change it for all the dialogs of your app, take a look at CWinApp::SetDialogBkColor (This function is obsolete in MFC7 on though, should work for MFC42). Regardless, look at codeguru/codeproject for sample code first. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com &quo...

Combo Box Question
How do I configure a combo box so that when a value is selected, Excel searches for that value in a range of cells and highlights all occurences (changes the background/fill color)? Thanks, Chris ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com -- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions ------------------------------------------------ Can't you use conditional formatting ? On the format menu go to conditional formatting, and...

SUMIF with two columns
[Excel 2003] Assume a worksheet with with numbers in column A; Boolean criterion [Y or N] in column B; and another Boolean criterion [Y or N] in column C. I would like to add the numbers in column A for all rows that have 'y' in both columns B and C. I have been trying to do this with a SUMIF statement in which the criteria is a combination of the two columns. I have not been able to find the magic formula, so either I am missing the correct syntax or there is a better formula to use. Help would be appreciated! =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A25),--(B1:B25="Y"),--(C1:C25="Y&quo...

How to graph adjacent data in column?
I have data of variable length (time dependent) that I wish to graph which comes from some third party software. The data always starts in the same row and is always in the same column (C29). The problem is that after the data rows end, there are several blank rows, and then other data is written below in the same columns of interest. I have created an Excel template which graphs this data, with fixed ranges of rows (C29:A55). For shorter data sets however, the extraneous data becomes included in this range, and this causes all kinds of trouble with the graph. Is there a way to set the data ra...

How to Anchor Decimal in Text Box
Hello Colleagues, Is it possible to "anchor" decimals in a column of numbers in a text box so all of the decimals in the rows are in perfect alignment? For instance, consider the text below as the contents of a PowerPoint text box: $13.5 Volume (2.1) Mix 4.4 Diversions I seek to have the decimals in vertical alignment in the three rows. Using leading spaces doesn't work so well because with proportional fonts, the parenthesis are a different width than the numerals. Tabs are worse because some of the rows do not have the same number of characters befor...

Freezing Table Headers and Column Headers
I am able to freeze table headers and column headers. Simple report with a one row table header. Table Headers : Tablix property, row group, advance mode, static, set fixed data to true Column: same using column groups Issue is when both are frozen and I scroll horizontally everything is fine. When I scroll vertically everything is fine. If I scroll vertically then horizontally the frozen column disappears. If I scroll horizontially then vertically the frozen column disappears. Can anyone explain this behavior? What am I missing. ...

Move Mail box failed
Dear all, When I try to move a mailbox accross Exchange 2000 server (or accross different mail store in same server), I got below errors. Is the problem caused from System Attendant mailbox? Because I found the Last Logon of SA mailbox is Domain/System in this server, for the other server which can normally opration the last logon of SA mailbox is Domain/Admin Thanks for help. MSExchangeAdmin Error Move Mailbox 1008 N/A EXCH1 Unable to move mailbox 'Test'. Error: The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Excha...

How can I hide a range of columns without hiding charts there?
I've got a spreadsheet with about 60 columns and I need to hide the first thirty or so. Each month, I'll need to hide one or two more from the left while one or two more are created off to the right. It's an ongoing range of dates, if that makes more sense. Anyway, I've got two charts located on that page and feel that there must be a way of formatting them so that the charts are still visible when I hide columns. The simple way to do this would be to move the charts out of the range of columns to be hidden. But I'd rather not have to reposition the charts every...

Tick Box/Check Box
Simple question her How do you add a normal tick box to a cell Thanks You can't. Those things (components, drawing objects etc) are floating above the spreadsheet on the "drawing layer". Checkboxes are found in the Controls toolbox or on the Forms toolbar (see the View > Toolbars menu on this). -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgroup only please "Bennett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:158576B9-E499-4D68-9322-C828CE2139C2@microsoft.com... > Simple question here > How do you add a normal tick box to a cell? > >...