Code causes error 2486 in access 2000, IPF in 2002

I have an Access 2000 database application which was originally created on a
Windows 2000 pro computer using Office xp developer and installed in on a
Windows 98 machine. I originally installed Office 2000 and installed the
database using the setup created by the Office xp developer packaging wizard.
Everything was working fine until someone accidentally uninstalled Access
2000 to make room on the drive not realizing the application would no longer
work. I temporarily reinstalled the application using the setup with the
access 2002 runtime so it would work until we upgraded the hard drive.

One of the forms takes data from input boxes, runs some SQL and a couple
update queries and opens another form -

DoCmd.OpenQuery "UpdateHr"
DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE CurrentP SET CurrentP.PStart = #" & Me.Text15 & "#,
CurrentP.PEnd = #" & Me.Text17 & "#;"
DoCmd.OpenQuery "AddPR"
DoCmd.OpenForm "ViewPR", acNormal ' , , "PR.PEND = " & Me.Text17

At some point while running the queries or sql or opening the form I would
get an Invalid page fault in the XP runtime version about 3/4 of the time.
This wasn't happening when we were running the db in 2000. After upgrading
the hard drive, I uninstalled the 2002 runtime version and re-installed
Access 2000. Now at this same point in Access 2000 every time I try to run
this code it will not run at all, I get error 2486 - You cannot complete the
action at this time. Then I keep getting this same error no matter what I try
to do until I exit the application completely, running code on any other form
or even attempting to exit the form gives the same error. I reinstalled the
original database and then again with the runtime version and then even
installed the full version of Access 2002 to try both of those and have the
same Invalid page fault problem 3/4 of the time in both Access 2002 full
version and runtime. The information given with this fault says

AppName: msaccess.exe AppVer: 10.0.2627.1 ModName: oleaut32.dll ModVer:
2.40.4518.0 Offset: 0002b683

I have tried uninstalling all office applications completely and
reinstalling them, even manually deleting leftover directories and registry
values before reinstalling. I have tried replacing the oleaut32.dll with 2
other versions and have the same problem.

The references for this db are:
Visual basic for applications
Microsoft access 9.0 Object Library
OLE Automation
Microsoft ActiveX data objects 2.1 Library
Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0

Any help would be so greatly appreciated with either version, I would prefer
to run the database with Access 2000 but would settle to just have it work in
the runtime version without the page faults.

Thanks
ST

Analysis
======
a) Since the app has been opened under various versions of Access, there is
a good likelihood that it contains some spurious binary code. A Decompile
followed by a Compact should fix this.

b) The failed code may result from concurrency issues. Close anything else
that is using the same tables before executing the code. Particularly if
there is any forms open that could be editing a record, explicitly save.

c) RunSQL does not notify you if it fails, unless you have SetWarnings on,
in which case you get too many notifications, and still can't determine
programmatically if it succeeded. Instead, use the Execute method with the
dbFailOnError switch:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-60.html

d) The OpenForm line will probably fail, since it lacks the # delimiters
around the literal date value you are concatenating into the WhereCondition
string. The code also needs to check that Text15 and Text17 contain valid
dates (e.g. not null), and that the dates are correctly formatted (if used
with non-US regional settings.)

e) Turn off Name AutoCorrect:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html

f) Remove unnecessary references such as oleaut32, and add a reference to
Microsoft DAO 3.6 (for the code below):
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html

g) The OpenForm with WhereCondition won't work correctly if the form is
already open.

h) Use a valid event. This is probably okay (e.g. the Click of a command
button), but the errors could be caused by using an unsuitable event - one
that triggers a range of other events where the problem actually lies.

Suggestions
=========
Try this sequence (in order):

1. Uncheck the boxes under:
    Tools | Options | General | Name AutoCorrect
In Access 2007, it's:
    Office Button | Access Options | Current Database | Name AutoCorrect
Explanation of why:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html

2. Compact the database to get rid of this junk:
    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair
or in Access 2007:
    Office Button | Manage | Compact/Repair

3. Close Access. Make a backup copy of the file. Decompile the database by
entering something like this at the command prompt while Access is not
running. It is all one line, and include the quotes:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

4. Open Access (holding down the Shift key if you have any startup code),
and compact again.

5. Open a code window.
Choose References from the Tools menu.
Uncheck any references you do not need.
For a list of the ones you typically need in your version of Access, see:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html

6. Still in the code window, choose Compile from the Debug menu.
Fix any errors, and repeat until it compiles okay.

7. Replace the code with this kind of thing (aircode):
------------code starts------------
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim strSql As String
Dim strWhere As String
Const strcJetDate = "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#"
Const strcTarget = "ViewPR"        'Name of form to open in the end.

Set db = CurrentDb
If IsDate(Me.Text15) And IsDate(Me.Text17) Then
    db.Exeucte "UpdateHr", dbFailOnError
    'Debug.Print "Records changed by UpdateHr: " & db.RecordsAffected

    strSql = "UPDATE CurrentP SET CurrentP.PStart = " & _
        Format(Me.Text15, strcJetDate) & ", CurrentP.PEnd = " & _
        Format(Me.Text17, strcJetDate) & ";"
    db.Execute strSql, dbFailOnError
    'Debug.Print "Records changed by SQL statement: " & db.RecordsAffected

    db.Execute "AddPR", dbFailOnError
    'Debug.Print "Records changed by AddPR: " & db.RecordsAffected

    strWhere = "PR.END = " & Format(Me.Text17, strcJetDate)
    If CurrentProject.AllForms(strcTarget).IsLoaded Then
        DoCmd.Close acForm, strcTarget
    End If
    DoCmd.OpenForm strcTarget, WhereCondition:=strWhere
Else
    MsgBox "Enter dates in Text15 and Text17"
End If
Set db = Nothing
------------code ends------------

Notes
====
1. Add error handling.

2. Uncomment the Debug.Print lines to track down what's happening.

3. I have assumed your OpenQuery was used on action queries, not SELECT
queries.

4. The SQL statement has no WHERE clause, so all records in CurrentP get
updated. Not sure if that's intended.

5. If ViewPR might have been open and in the middle of an edit, the edit may
be lost:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bug-01.html

"ST" <ST@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> 2.40.4518.0 Offset: 0002b683
>
> I have tried uninstalling all office applications completely and
> reinstalling them, even manually deleting leftover directories and
> registry
> values before reinstalling. I have tried replacing the oleaut32.dll with 2
> other versions and have the same problem.
>
> The references for this db are:
> Visual basic for applications
> Microsoft access 9.0 Object Library
> OLE Automation
> Microsoft ActiveX data objects 2.1 Library
> Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0
>
> Any help would be so greatly appreciated with either version, I would
> prefer
> to run the database with Access 2000 but would settle to just have it work
> in
> the runtime version without the page faults.

0
Allen
3/13/2007 8:03:31 AM
Thanks for your help. I tried all of your suggestions and was able to figure
out that while the error was showing up while trying to open the form, the
cause was actually the third query for some reason. I could stop the code at
that point and manually run the query and it would work fine, but running it
this way 'DoCmd.OpenQuery "AddPR"' cased the error I mentioned, and running
it like you mentioned 'db.Execute "AddPR", dbFailOnError' still caused an
invalid page fault. I also tried running is as an sql statement like the
second query/sql statment and it still caused an IPF. So as a last resort I
tried doing it like this and this worked:

Dim dbs As Database, rst As DAO.Recordset, rst2 As DAO.Recordset
    Set dbs = CurrentDb
    Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(mysql)
    Set rst2 = dbs.OpenRecordset(mysql2)

rst.MoveFirst
Do Until rst.EOF
     With rst2
        .addnew
        !PPSTART = rst!PPSTART
        !PPEND = rst!PPEND
        !EID = rst!EID
        !HrlyRate = rst!HR
        .Update
        .Bookmark = .LastModified
    End With

rst.MoveNext
Loop
rst.Close
rst2.Close

I would love to know why the query would not run but I am just happy it is
working at this point.

Thanks for your help.

ST

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> [...]
> > 2.40.4518.0 Offset: 0002b683
> >
> > I have tried uninstalling all office applications completely and
> > reinstalling them, even manually deleting leftover directories and
> > registry
> > values before reinstalling. I have tried replacing the oleaut32.dll with 2
> > other versions and have the same problem.
> >
> > The references for this db are:
> > Visual basic for applications
> > Microsoft access 9.0 Object Library
> > OLE Automation
> > Microsoft ActiveX data objects 2.1 Library
> > Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0
> >
> > Any help would be so greatly appreciated with either version, I would
> > prefer
> > to run the database with Access 2000 but would settle to just have it work
> > in
> > the runtime version without the page faults.

Integrate Paycodes, benefit codes and deduction codes
Has anyone used integration manager to update new pay rates, deduction amounts and benefit amounts for employees? At the beginning of each year, our company gives pay increases and we need to update the pay codes, deduction codes and benefit codes for 40 employees, which we get the information from a spreadsheet. I thought that maybe I could use integration manager to update the pay, benefit and deduction codes instead of going into each employee's card, which is time consuming. Thanks, Laura Integration Manager will allow you to do this. Use the Payroll Master Destination. one ...

Error #1004
I use epace which is set up on excel and has many links. When I go into any of my excel workbooks and try refresh the file, I get the following message: Error #1004 was generated by Microsoft Excel Calculate Method of Range class failed. The file saves my trial balance numbers but will not save other changes made (titles and other alpha changes). Any thoughts? ...

OWA can't access certificate store?
Hi, i have an organisation with 3 exchange servers, 2 of them are exchange 2003 sp 2 and 1 of them exchange 2003 sp 1. Im using OWA on all of them, but on the servers with sp 2 i cant access the certificate store for some reson. I cant send signed or encrypted mail (S/MIME) what so ever via the OWA but if i use outlook 2003 everything works fine. When i check the properties on users via OWA i get the message that the recipient does not have a valid ID for encryption. One of the sp 2 servers and the sp 1 server are also using SSL on the OWA. On a sidenote, i cant view users published certi...

Error tendering transactions
I have 4 tender types set up in RMS: cash, cheque, on account, and COD (which in effect is also on account). Recently I tried to tender a transaction COD, but got an Error 315 message, stating: "A tender type is invalid while in offline mode". BUT, the POS station is NOT working in offline mode. How do I fix this? Is the only problem with the COD tender type? If so you might want to try to delete it and recreate it again. Daniel NuRol Point of Sale and Barcoding www.nurol.com 404-352-3587 >-----Original Message----- >I have 4 tender types set up in RMS: cash, cheque, ...

zip codes don't merge #2
I am trying to mail merge w/ Word 2000 the names and addresses in my worksheet. When I get to the part to choose the format for the mailing labels, I choose F1, F2, etc. to F6 (which is the zip code column). A few do get there, but the vast majority stop at the state, leaving off the entire zip code. I have gone to menu/format and selected text in the number tab. I have gone to format/cells and chosen special/zip code in the number tab. I've read Excel for Dummies. Please help me. TIA bb ...

Error 8213
Hi: I have been getting this error for few months. Microsoft suggestion is to reset pasword in System Manager. I honestly cant find where in System Manager to change password. Plus i cannot find the error I am getting in event log (0xc007052e) in MSKB. We use to have a connector to Exchabge 5.5 Server which has been disconnected for a while. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeFBPublish Event Category: General Event ID: 8213 Date: 7/6/2006 Time: 12:28:28 PM User: N/A Computer: XXX Description: System Attendant Service failed to create session for virtual machine XXX. The...

OWA-"!an unknown error has happened"
In Outlook Web Access, when I try to reply to or forward an e-mail message, I get an error message with a red explanation point in front of it saying "!an unknown error happened." Anyone know what this is? It's also happening at a time when my signal from my cable modem connection is not very strong. Could this be causing it? Try asking this in an Exchange group as OWA is a function of Exchange, not Outlook. microsoft.public.exchange.admin is a good place to start. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to ...

concatenating two vendor codes
My company recently changed the vendor codes and now I end up with two separate sets of data for each vendor. Obviously I could just leave the vendor code field out. I don't want to do that so what I need to do is concatenate the two codes. Example Vendor Code Vendor Name 123 Joe's Supplies ABC Joe's Supplies what I need is this Vendor Code Vendor Name 123/ABC Joe's Supplies any ideas? Rather than create a new record for each vendor, add another field to the table -- call it NewVendorCode -- and put th...

Application Error (0xc0150002) "Unable to Start Correctly"
I received the above subject error message when trying to open my Money Plus Deluxe application for the first time after upgrading my OS to Windows 7 Pro, and transferring the app and files from my old XPsp3 OS back into Win 7. I've tried all the tools and options available when right clicking the Money Plus icon to no avail. All my banking accounts are in this program and its imperative I get this open and operating again. Could an MVP help? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Warbler wrote: >I received the above subject error message when trying to open my Money Plu...

publisher 2002 grid lines do not show, boundaries and guides chec
Have publisher 2002, gridlines on tables do not show, but do print. Boundaries and Guides is checked. What next to get lines to show? -- Too awake to buy into the illusion, Too asleep to stop dreaming That could be your video driver. It happened to me. Did you just install Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "lostinspace" <lostinspace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EFBDDB8-B025-4D0C-BD55-DC022A1089D1@microsoft.com... > Have publisher 2002, gridlines on tables do not show, but do print. > Boundaries and Guides is checked. W...

Cannot access windows update via Control Panel
But I can access windows update if I first start IE8 and select windowsupdate from the Tools menu. When I try to access windows update via Control Panel, I get this message: 1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options. 2. Click the Security tab. 3. Click the Trusted Sites icon, and then click Sites... 4. Uncheck the "require server verification" checkbox. 5. Make sure the following URLs are listed in the Web Sites list box: * http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com * http://*.windowsupdate.com I followed the ...

Outlook caused IPF in module KRNL386.exe
I have searched everywhere for the solution to this error which causes the computer to freeze!!! Any help would be great!!! OUTLOOK cause an invalid page fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:0000663d. miscott2@sympatico.ca ...

Credit Card Account on Money 2002
I pay my credit card account using the Money register. I now am trying to run a Monthly Income and Expenses report and I find all my payments coming up in "Income Unassigned." When I click on one of those individual payments, it shows "From XYZ Credit Card" being paid to "XYZ Credit Card." Obviously I have set the accounts up incorrectly, but I"m not sure what to do. Can anyone help? Something tells me you are messing with electronic transactions and downloaded transaction data without really understanding how Money works first. Perhaps I'm wrong....

How do i stop the error message
Does anyone know how to stop the below error mesage on MS Outlook. "The Customer form could not be opened. Outlook will use an oulook form instead. The object could not be found," ...

Login Error #3
I have upgraded my server from 9 to 10; however, I'm working on client install and getting the following error in GP_LoginErrors.log Product Name: HITB Report Database Version: 1001296 Client Version: 9015 I have copied the HTB5597.dic file from server. It also shows version 9015 in the Windows properties, but runs fine on the server. I've copared dynsmics.set files and every seems to be the same. What am I missing? Thanks, G.A. maybe your dictionary is correct, but on the dynamics table in sql it has not upgraded its version run this query and it will tell you the version ...

Can MS EXCEL remove duplicates and separate by color coded items ?
Can MS EXCEL remove duplicates and separate by color coded items ? I am NOT technical and have just started using MS EXCEL. Can anyone PLEASE HELP me: 1. How can I automatically remove duplicates using EXCEL ? ie the same info input more than once on different lines. Can EXCEL do this ? 2, I have color coded the text in the certain lines in terms of priority. can Excel rearrange the data by color ? If yes, How do I do it ? I think I have EXCEL '97 Thanks for your help in advance. Hi 1. You can extract the unique items to a new list using menu Data > Filter > Advanced fil...

16 bit code
Hello, I have a 16 bit code to maintain. (It is too complex to copile it to 32 bit) so all we are doing is support. Now they want to add a small feature, where I need to copy long file names in the project. I know we can not do long file name copies in vc++ (1.52). So I wrote a program in VC++(6.0) which does directory copy. My questions are 1. How can I call a 32 bit exe (I guess WinExec should work)? 2. How can I make the 16 bit to wait till the 32 bit code completes? 3. Is there any other better way to do this? (other than converting to 32 bit) Thanks. I actually do this in an old 16-bi...

Money 2000 Windows XP SP2 Password problems
Hi. * I have reformatted my hard drive (On a Compaq Table TC1000) & reinstalled Windows XP Pro Tablet. * I have then installed the Windows XP SP2. I then restored my backups, which included my mny data file from Money 2000. * I then (amongst other software installs) installed Money from the original CD. * When I tried to start Money, it asks for the password as usual BUT it doesn't accept the usual password. * I have checked that it is the right file, checked Caps Lock, typed carefully several times - to no avail. * Are you aware of any problems with Money 2000 & SP2? I...

Save Error
I have a file that I am trying to save. Everytime I select Save I get the following message: Excel could not save all the data and formatting you recently added to file data file.xls. -To return to your workbook without saving click Cancel. -If you want to continue saving changes without repairing the problem, click OK. -For information about repairing the problem, click Help. When I click Help I get a blank grey box. How can I find out what is wrong? Thanks, JC It kind of sounds like you're getting hit with the fact that Excel has a limit of 4000 different formats in a workbook....

area codes is auto filling my own 9 digit ph# vs just area code
When I enter a phone number for a contact it autofills with my personal area code and phone number instead of just the area code. How to I change this to just autofil the area code? I am using Outlook 2007 on an ACER laptop. Make sure you have your area code entered correctly in "Dialing Properties". "Computer Dummy" wrote: > When I enter a phone number for a contact it autofills with my personal area > code and phone number instead of just the area code. How to I change this to > just autofil the area code? I am using Outlook 2007 on an ACER ...

Access file types?
I have created an Access database and have designed a form. When selecting "Form View" the forms remains in design view. I then get a new database which is an LDP file which I cannot delete and restricts using the mdp file. Why can I not view the designed form in Form View? It's LDB, not LDP; and MDB, nor MDP The LDB file is a locking database. It cannot be deleted while the main database is open. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access "Wayne Viles" <WayneViles@discussions...

VBA Code for Pasting Sheets
I would like a spreadhseet that pastes the contents of one sheet into another sheet. I like like to do this for 7 different sheets For example: I would like paste the contents form sheet titled "sheet1" into a sheet titled "data1". Continue to process for pasting "sheet2" into "data2" and "sheet3" into "data3" all way until "sheet7" and "data7". thanks, Curt Subject: Automated Copy Paste Subject: Copy/Paste Import/Export Data VBA Code On Apr 27, 10:49=A0am, Curt <C...@discussions.mi...

MC/VISA joint code
Isn't there any way to combine the blocks (4* & 5*) for MC/VISA credit cards? It's a pain to have them separate because my bank posts them together. It is the same company afterall. It would save me a lot of time adding separate entries together to reconcile the statement! I do not know of a way to do what you are asking, but I have found that using the # symbol as follows works better than using the * symbol: 4############### 5############### If you use the * symbol it is a wild card with no determined length. The # symbol requires that the characters after the first d...

Causes of DDE Links switching from Automatic to Manual
Hello there, - Using Excel 97, 2000 or XP, NT or XP - Having a very active Workbook with hundreds of DDE Links. - Setting all DDE Links to Automatic (menu Edit --> Links). When requesting updates for the DDE Links, some of the links change to status of Manual. - Can you advise of what the possible causes for a DDE Link to change status from Automatic to Manual, and what are the possible solutions. ...

Crystal Report Error
Hi, We have a custom quote report that is triggered from a button. When a user selects the Print Quote Button on the quote page, the quoteid is passed into a custom report we created and the quote displays. For some reason, this report is stopped working. All others are still working. When we try to run the report, we receive an erroneous error: Page header or footer longer than a page..... I opened the report in Crystal Report designer and was able to run it with no error.There are references to print driver issues on other Web sites. Has anyone run into this issue and if so,...