Checking a forms fields for null

Hi All,

I can think of a few ways to accomplish this, but would like to know of a
better way.

just like when you fill out forms on the web if the field is mandatory it
pops up a msg say somthing like "This field isn't optional" if it is left
blank. What is the best way to do this in access on a form?

I'm using now:

if ISNull(myFeild1) then
  msgbox"Please fill in myFeild1"
end if
If ISNull(myFeild2) then
  msgbox"Please fill in myFeild2"
end if
if ISNull(myFeild3) then
  msgbox"Please fill in myFeild3"
end if

I use something similar to what you are suggesting however my validation if
more than one field is null it will list all the fields that are null.  I
chopped a small bit of it below.

Dim strMsg As String

    If IsNull(Me.Audit_nme) Then
        Cancel = True
        strMsg = strMsg & "Audit Name required." & vbCrLf
    End If
    If IsNull(Me.Combo61) Then
        Cancel = True
        strMsg = strMsg & "Auditor required." & vbCrLf
    End If
    If IsNull(Me.DateAudit) Then
        Cancel = True
        strMsg = strMsg & "Date Initiated." & vbCrLf
    End If
If Cancel Then
        strMsg = strMsg & vbCrLf & "Correct the entry, or press <Esc> to
undo."
        MsgBox strMsg, vbExclamation, "Invalid entry"
    End If
"Mark" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I can think of a few ways to accomplish this, but would like to know of a
> better way.
>
> just like when you fill out forms on the web if the field is mandatory it
> pops up a msg say somthing like "This field isn't optional" if it is left
> blank. What is the best way to do this in access on a form?
>
> I'm using now:
>
> if ISNull(myFeild1) then
>   msgbox"Please fill in myFeild1"
> end if
> If ISNull(myFeild2) then
>   msgbox"Please fill in myFeild2"
> end if
> if ISNull(myFeild3) then
>   msgbox"Please fill in myFeild3"
> end if

Outlook 2003 Form Design Mode Bug: Solutions?
Is there a solution to the bug outlined in this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823133/en-us ? KZ No. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "Ken Zenachon" <imafellow@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1176480066.954591.89200@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Is there a solution to the bug outlined in this KB article: > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823133/en-us > ? &g...

Reset form and find record
If user enters an InmateId value and a ClassDate (a unique index) that already exits in the table, I want to undo what the user punched in and go find the record they tried to duplicate. A button click is called that fires two SendKeys "{ESC}", which undoes everything on the form, but I still get a runtime error at Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark: "The macro or function set to the BeforeUpdate or ValidationRule property for this field is preventing db1 from saving the data in the field." Why is it trying to save anything? I've undone all the fields, like it's a n...

merge MSN Bill Pay & Checking Acct

Authorizing checks with RMS

Easiest way to create forms with Excel?
Hi all - apologies if this is a FAQ question, was unable to find good answers there. My organization often needs to distribute various 'forms' designed in Excel. People will fill them in, (often print a copy and) send the filled-in sheets back to us. There are a lot of problems with this: people will modify stuff where they're not supposed to, will leave 'mandatory' options blank, and the process of copying/pasting data for further processing once we get the filled in sheet is laborious. For various reasons we need to stay with Excel (i.e. Access, or redoing everything a...

How do I create Check list

Printing Checks

Can I create custom forms to add data to a Excel Spreadsheet? How.
see this site http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#UserForm it has a sample WB that you download. good online instructions. >-----Original Message----- > >. > ...

Employee Check Format-Graphical

MultiValed Fields
I could be way off here, but I have over 60 fields (numeric fields that are scored 1-100) which represent observations of specific items that occur (are repeated) at different date-times for multiple subjects (SubID). The numeric fields are defaulted to be zero and I am having diffculty, for example, with selecting all fields >1 or >30 or >60 without querying them one at a time. Does it make sense for me to make a table and place all of these fields in a multi-valued field so I can then query the field for those criteria? Thanks No: don't use MVF for that. Whatever...

Check Names = "Exchange Server computer is busy..."
Here's what I got: Active Directory on Server 2003 1 Domain Controller also running DNS and WINS No other DNS or WINS servers (I know, I know) Static IP Addresses...NO DHCP Exchange Server 2003 on a member server Client running W2K SP4 Outlook 2000 SP3 Exchange has 4 mailboxes set, but nobody is using it. I'm still testing things out. When I try to connect to Exchange via my Outlook 2000, I get the following message: "The function cannot be performed because the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is busy. Try again later" I've tried it from 3 different client comp...

Form
Hello, I am trying to create a project progress form. The is completed twice a month. I have created a table that has the periods as follows: Report Num Period Start Period End ------------------------------------------------------ 1 01 Jan 10 15 Jan 10 2 16 Jan 10 31 Jan 10 etc.... The second table has the work items in the project: Item # Work Desc. % Total % this Period % Cumulative -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 ...

Copying values from a previous record to a current form
I have created a form that updates a table with bound edit box controls. The nature of our data is that for a given field in the table there may be a long sequence of repeat values from record-to-record, so, my form needs to populate the current bound edit box witha "default" value derrived from the field value from the previous record. In pseudocode I imagine something like: MyForm.MyEditBox = MyTable.Field1[CurrentRecord-1] If "CurrentRecord" was a pointer to the current record in the table being edited by the form, then the results of the expression right of th...

Could very much use a Field List
I apologize if this is out there already, but it seems that at least a few field names changed from 1.2 to 1.3. Although I had downloaded a field list before, from here, I cannot even find that original post, let alone any more recent that might contain the correct field names. I need to do some custom SQL and would prefer not to reinvent the wheel. Thanks in advance very much to anyone who could help. Bud Izen Salem Oregon Do you have MS Access? Make a new project and attach to the database as your data source. You will be able to see all the tables and the field names. It has been ...

how do I print doublesided 2up on a4 on a form consisting of 4 a5
I am practicing a mock exam on publisher2003 professional and am struggling to print an application form to be printed as a double sided 2 up on a4 paper folded across the application form will consist of 4 a5 pages? Setup your printer for A4, setup your page as a booklet. I can't quite understand the 2 up part. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "tommyk" <tommyk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A66AE0F8-3AB6-42C8-A116-47652D88C4AB@microsoft.com... >I am practicing a mock exam on...

Printing MICR checks
Hello, We are having an issue printing checks on the Select Payables Checks window. When we try to print the checks we receive the error message below: "Warning: You have MICR but are not in a MICR screen. To use MICR, abort this screen and set up security access." The user has access to this screen but I'm not sure what this error message means. There was nothing related to this in the Knowledge Base either. Has anyone else received this error message before and if so how did/do you resolve it? Thanks! The user has the third party mekorma check writing module ...

Form controls, vba and arabic script
I'm struggling with this one. We have developed an application in Access 2003 using standard forms and controls (text boxes, etc). If I enter (by pasting because I can't type it in directly) so arabic text into a text box it displays OK. However, if I want to do anything with that text in vba I run into problems because the value of the text box only displays as "???????" ... e.g Dim strText as string strText = me.txtText Debug.Print strText Output is something like "???????" What am I doing wrong, or will this never work? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sales User Define Field Inquiry Zoom
I'm working Great Plains 7.0 What table can I find the Sales User-Defined Fields Inquiry Zoom information? I need the detail information. Thank you, KBrown SOP10106 for the user defined values on specific transactions. SOP40400 to define the available user defined values -- Jim@TurboChef "KBrown" wrote: > I'm working Great Plains 7.0 > What table can I find the Sales User-Defined Fields Inquiry Zoom > information? I need the detail information. > > Thank you, > KBrown Thank you very much "Jim@TurboChef" wrote: > SOP10106 for the user...

Search Form
I am in the process of developing new front end program for SQL database to replace MS Access front end. I have been unable to convert the following lines of VBA to C# to find a record in the workorder dataset from a seperate form based on query presented in datagridview. I open the workorder form, then click on search form, then double click the line in datagridview to focus back on workorder to the selected record by workorderID. If IsNull(Forms![Search SO Open]![List0]) Then MsgBox ("You did not select a record to search for") Else DoCmd.SelectObject acF...

Query on two tables with matching null fields
Suppose I have two tables: Table 1: ID a b c 1 1 2 2 3 4 3 5 6 4 7 8 9 Table2 ID a b c 1 1 2 2 3 4 3 5 6 4 7 8 9 The following SQL: SELECT Table1.ID, Table2.ID FROM Table1 INNER JOIN Table2 ON (Table1.c = Table2.c) AND (Table1.b = Table2.b) AND (Table1.a = Table2.a); Returns: Table1.ID Table2.ID 4 4 I do want these tables connected by inner joins not left or right (in other words I want only those records where all t...

Check off boxes
Publisher 2003 in use. I am creating a questionnaire that will be included in a newsletter. I am using the publisher software to make this form. Somewhere, in the past, I saw a keyboard shortcut to inset checkoff boxes, however, I cannot remember the key strokes. Any help along this line will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and enjoy your day. Mike Mike Reshetar wrote: > Somewhere, in the past, I saw a keyboard shortcut to inset checkoff boxes, > however, I cannot remember the key strokes. Use Wingdings and the � or q characters. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher h...

Form Design
Hi Folks - I am designing a form to enter data with the following relationships: The main form is legal case data such as name, address, DOB, etc. For each case, there can be multiple charges, and for each charge there can be multiple victims. What's the best technique to display this related data on a form? Tabs? "Popup" forms? Can you create a victim form on its own tab of the main form? Thanks for any ideas? Michael Start with the design of the tables, not the forms. There should be a Case table, as you mentioned, then a charges table with a foreign key to the ca...