Value Entered Isn't Valid...Error

I have a cbo ShopName on my subform which is populated by ltblShop. The cbo
displays the Name, but is bound by the ShopID.  If the user doesn't enter a
value, I want a msgbox to open confirming this and then entering "None",
which is an item in my ltblShop.  Admittedly, the idea of having a tbl for
Shops which then has a "None" entry which isn't a shop feels wrong but seemed
to be the most expedient at the time and easiest for such the novice that I
am.   The code for this upon entering and exiting that control seems to work
fine.  The box opens upon a Null entry and will put "None" as directed.  The
problem comes in when I later refer to that control in code to concatenate it
into text to copy.  The copy operation gives me a "The operation has been
canceled" error and then I get "The value entered isn't valid..." error and
the system sets focus back to this control.
Here is my code:
Private Sub ShopName_Exit(Cancel As Integer)
If Len(Me.ShopName & vbNullString) = 0 Then
    If MsgBox("Are you sure there's no shop?", vbYesNo, "Enter Shop") =
vbYes Then
    Me.ShopName = "None"
Else
    Me.ShopName.SetFocus
End If
End If
End Sub
**Note, if a ShopName is entered, the whole form works perfectly - it's only
on this "None" portion that it stops up.
Thanks so much for help!!
Pamela

I would perform all your form-related validations in the forms BeforeUpdate
event.
Don't use the Exit event for the control.
Another alternative would be to set the default for the control to the
'none' entry in the list.
However, it would be preferable to allow no entry for this control to
represent 'none'.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

"Pamela" wrote:

> I have a cbo ShopName on my subform which is populated by ltblShop. The cbo
> displays the Name, but is bound by the ShopID.  If the user doesn't enter a
> value, I want a msgbox to open confirming this and then entering "None",
> which is an item in my ltblShop.  Admittedly, the idea of having a tbl for
> Shops which then has a "None" entry which isn't a shop feels wrong but seemed
> to be the most expedient at the time and easiest for such the novice that I
> am.   The code for this upon entering and exiting that control seems to work
> fine.  The box opens upon a Null entry and will put "None" as directed.  The
> problem comes in when I later refer to that control in code to concatenate it
> into text to copy.  The copy operation gives me a "The operation has been
> canceled" error and then I get "The value entered isn't valid..." error and
> the system sets focus back to this control.
> Here is my code:
> Private Sub ShopName_Exit(Cancel As Integer)
> If Len(Me.ShopName & vbNullString) = 0 Then
>     If MsgBox("Are you sure there's no shop?", vbYesNo, "Enter Shop") =
> vbYes Then
>     Me.ShopName = "None"
> Else
>     Me.ShopName.SetFocus
> End If
> End If
> End Sub
> **Note, if a ShopName is entered, the whole form works perfectly - it's only
> on this "None" portion that it stops up.
> Thanks so much for help!!
> Pamela
Hi, Dorian,
I little more guidance would be great.  I'm very green.  I don't understand
what you said about "form-related validations in the form's BeforeUpdate
event."  My thinking is if the form runs the code before the user even starts
to fill it in, how will the code find entries that are input after the code
runs...??   I am a little worried about using default values because my users
tend to get very lazy and don't always pay attention to fields they don't
HAVE to update so if they all start blank...they have to fill it in.  I do
understand about the No Entry = None, but I'm a little worried about
implementing it. Perhaps a query...??  Thanks for any additional help!

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:29:01 -0800, Pamela <Pamela@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I little more guidance would be great.  I'm very green.  I don't understand
>what you said about "form-related validations in the form's BeforeUpdate
>event."  My thinking is if the form runs the code before the user even starts
>to fill it in, how will the code find entries that are input after the code
>runs...??

The "Before Update" event's name is a bit confusing. It fires AFTER the user
has entered all the data that they plan to enter, and taken some action that
will cause the record to be committed to the database - e.g. moving off the
record or closing the form. It does fire "before" the record is updated - but
*right* before that happens, after the user has filled in everything.

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
1/4/2010 9:37:27 PM
Hi John,
Thanks so much for that clarification.  How does that work with subforms?
Are all of the subforms handled separately in that I'd need to do separate
BeforeUpdate events for each one and then only pertaining to the controls on
that subform or can they all be done from any of the forms?  For all of this
that I've been working on (thanks for all your help on it) I have a command
button at the botton of the last subform that selects an unbound text box
which, on it's GotFocus event, runs all of this code to lookup -  based on
the user's data -  and concatenate and then copy a nice little paragraph and
then close the form.  The user can then paste that paragraph into whatever
outside application needed.  With this in mind, could I run the validation
codes for all of these controls on that button and then also go ahead and run
the code for compiling my paragraph?  Getting it "right" which seems to be
somewhat subjective, may help with all of these problems I'm running into.
Thanks so much again!
Pamela

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:31:01 -0800, Pamela <Pamela@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi John,
>Thanks so much for that clarification.  How does that work with subforms?

Exactly the same way. When the user takes an action which would cause the
subform data to be saved to disk - e.g. setting focus to the mainform, or
moving to a different record on the subform - the Subform's BeforeUpdate event
fires. The main form's event does not.

>Are all of the subforms handled separately in that I'd need to do separate
>BeforeUpdate events for each one and then only pertaining to the controls on
>that subform or can they all be done from any of the forms?

Each (sub)Form has its own independent BeforeUpdate event.

>For all of this
>that I've been working on (thanks for all your help on it) I have a command
>button at the botton of the last subform that selects an unbound text box
>which, on it's GotFocus event, runs all of this code to lookup -  based on
>the user's data -  and concatenate and then copy a nice little paragraph and
>then close the form.

The GotFocus event will NOT fire unless the *user* manually sets focus to the
event. Rather than seting focus to the box and letting the GotFocus code fill
it, you should fill it directly in the button's Click event.

>The user can then paste that paragraph into whatever
>outside application needed.  With this in mind, could I run the validation
>codes for all of these controls on that button and then also go ahead and run
>the code for compiling my paragraph?

I'd suggest validating in the Form's BeforeUpdate event. Having the validation
in the button code might work but it'll be more complex since it has to look
not only at multiple fields, but multiple forms!

>Getting it "right" which seems to be
>somewhat subjective, may help with all of these problems I'm running into.

It is always subjective. That's why us consultants are all independently
wealthy <cough cough>...
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Pamela

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:31:01 -0800, Pamela <Pamela@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi John,
> >Thanks so much for that clarification.  How does that work with subforms?
>
> Exactly the same way. When the user takes an action which would cause the
> subform data to be saved to disk - e.g. setting focus to the mainform, or
> moving to a different record on the subform - the Subform's BeforeUpdate event
> fires. The main form's event does not.
>
> >Are all of the subforms handled separately in that I'd need to do separate
> >BeforeUpdate events for each one and then only pertaining to the controls on
> >that subform or can they all be done from any of the forms?
>
> Each (sub)Form has its own independent BeforeUpdate event.
>
> >For all of this
> >that I've been working on (thanks for all your help on it) I have a command
> >button at the botton of the last subform that selects an unbound text box
> >which, on it's GotFocus event, runs all of this code to lookup -  based on
> >the user's data -  and concatenate and then copy a nice little paragraph and
> >then close the form.
>
> The GotFocus event will NOT fire unless the *user* manually sets focus to the
> event. Rather than seting focus to the box and letting the GotFocus code fill
> it, you should fill it directly in the button's Click event.
>
> >The user can then paste that paragraph into whatever
> >outside application needed.  With this in mind, could I run the validation
> >codes for all of these controls on that button and then also go ahead and run
> >the code for compiling my paragraph?
>
> I'd suggest validating in the Form's BeforeUpdate event. Having the validation
> in the button code might work but it'll be more complex since it has to look
> not only at multiple fields, but multiple forms!
>
> >Getting it "right" which seems to be
> >somewhat subjective, may help with all of these problems I'm running into.
>
> It is always subjective. That's why us consultants are all independently
> wealthy <cough cough>...
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

One more question about running the compiling code from my final command
button... I was told that in order to run do the RunCommand.AcCmdCopy
function/procedure that Focus must be set to a control from which to copy the
text.  Will it work w/o having a text box to which to set focus and from
which to copy it??

Thanks!
Pamela

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:49:01 -0800, Pamela <Pamela@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>One more question about running the compiling code from my final command
>button... I was told that in order to run do the RunCommand.AcCmdCopy
>function/procedure that Focus must be set to a control from which to copy the
>text.  Will it work w/o having a text box to which to set focus and from
>which to copy it??

I've never used acCmdCopy at all, and it's certainly neither necessary nor the
best way to go.

Instead, just copy the data:

Me.targetcontrolname = Me.sourcecontrolname

or

Me.targetcontrolname = SomeVariableYouHaveSet

By using a VBA variable to hold the calculated value, you can - if you wish -
move the calculation from (possibly complicated) expressions on the Form into
your VBA code, where it can use all the power of VBA to validate, properly
handle missing information, use conditional logic (e.g. "if there is a check
in the TaxExempt checkbox use the value as is, otherwise add the tax").
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:49:01 -0800, Pamela <Pamela@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >One more question about running the compiling code from my final command
> >button... I was told that in order to run do the RunCommand.AcCmdCopy
> >function/procedure that Focus must be set to a control from which to copy the
> >text.  Will it work w/o having a text box to which to set focus and from
> >which to copy it??
>
> I've never used acCmdCopy at all, and it's certainly neither necessary nor the
> best way to go.
>
> Instead, just copy the data:
>
> Me.targetcontrolname = Me.sourcecontrolname
>
> or
>
> Me.targetcontrolname = SomeVariableYouHaveSet
>
> By using a VBA variable to hold the calculated value, you can - if you wish -
> move the calculation from (possibly complicated) expressions on the Form into
> your VBA code, where it can use all the power of VBA to validate, properly
> handle missing information, use conditional logic (e.g. "if there is a check
> in the TaxExempt checkbox use the value as is, otherwise add the tax").
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

Adding some values on a sheet???
Hello and thanks in advance. I'm working on a calculator for some Cable TV plants designs. Here is what I need: I'd like to have a drop down menu with several different values of design in it. When I click on a value, I'd like it to insert some "value specific" numbers on this type of chart below...... 30 mhz= Ch 5= Ch 40= Ch 78= Ch 80= Ch 116= Any ideas on how I go about that and where to insert and store the info for each type of "value" Cheers! Doug Strinz Hudson Falls, NY Hi Doug Strinz, Assume that you have a worksheet named 'master'. On ...

How to draw 2D values to windows screen??
Suppose now I have a 2D array containing binary values only (1 or 0). I would like to draw these values on the windows screen (created by MFC dialog-based app in MSVC++ 2005) with 0 be black (0, 0, 0) and 1 be white (255, 255, 255). Which MFC class and function should I use to achieve this effect?? Newbie Question wrote: > Suppose now I have a 2D array containing binary values only (1 or 0). I would > like to draw these values on the windows screen (created by MFC dialog-based > app in MSVC++ 2005) with 0 be black (0, 0, 0) and 1 be white (255, 255, 255). > Which MFC class a...

How to enable the email address to repeat when entering a email
The outlook email program will not automaticallly fill in the email address of email address that I have previously used. How and where can I enable that menu? Thanks Depends on your Outlook version which you failed to mention. Since the feature is enabled by default, I suspect you have other problems. Clarify your post and provide more detail. -- Russ Valentine "Crash1234" <Crash1234@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4818E78-9AD9-4256-9649-461E107FDD40@microsoft.com... > The outlook email program will not automaticallly fill in the email &g...

error when reinstalling XP Pro
thHi, I have a Dell Latitude D620. That was having some issues with ethernet and wireless connections. Nothing really found as fas as malware or viruses, without updates of course. I tried to do a windows repair from the XP CD and right when it shows starting windows to choose repair or install windows I get a blue screen with the error... PCI.SYS-address F76130BF base at F76000000 Date stamp 3B7D855C. I tried a few times and even set the BIOS to minimal. Then I pulled the hard drive out and connected to another laptop using a usb cradle, formated the drive and put it back in th...

text value
I need to rank a column containing concatonated names and addresses. Ranking only handles numeric values, is there any way to give text a numeric value? Hi, It would have helped to see some test data but let's start from here. With your data in column A starting in A2 enter this in b2 and drag down =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$100,"<"&A2)+1 -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "AllyH" wrote: > I need to rank a colum...

Value Axis Scale Change Problem #2
Thanks Jon - problem solved -- dp_fulche ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dp_fulcher's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=969 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27033 ...

How to retrieve value from specific cell value?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell value with specific worksheet? I would like to create a if-statement within macro, If specific cell within specific worksheet = 1 then process following code End If Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi If Sheets("sheet1").Range("A1") = 1 Then MsgBox "run code" Else MsgBox "skip code" End If regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell &...

Item Value List vs Item Movement History Report (including cost)
I have been trying to create reports for previous points in time, but I am so confused at this point as to what is what. I've ran an Item Value list, which shows the current value of items, and got an extended cost. Then I ran an Item Movement History Report that includes cost with a filter that begins before the store opened and ends today. The extended cost in this report was very close, but not the same as the extended cost in the Item Value list. Is there something that the Item Movement History Report takes into account that the Item Value list doesn't, or vise versa? Beca...

Multiple Value Lookup field
I need to add multiple values to a look up field and I just found out that new to Access 2007 I can add multi-values to my look-up fields. I just tried doing this, but for some reason in the look-up wizard there is no check box that says "Allow Multiple Values", so then I went to the Lookup tab in the field properties to see if there was an Allow Multiple Values property and there was none. Not sure if this would mean anything, but this table was converted from Access 2003 to Access 2007. Why do I not have this option and what I can do about it? On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:58:0...

Unique Values from Access
Dear all, I'm trying to create a validation list with data from access. The code below already do it, but I have a big problem: in the field of access database I can have duplicate data... table: period fields year_month year_quarter year 200701 200701 2007 200702 200701 2007 200703 200701 2007 200704 200702 2007 .. .. .. And the code below brings duplicate data. How can I solve this problem? I wouldn't like to bring all information to excel ...

SOAP error
I am getting this error when I am making SOAP call to a webservice. I am using perl - SOAPLite HTTP/1.1 500 (Internal Server Error) Internal Server Error. Cache-Control: private Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 14:49:36 GMT Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0 Content-Length: 476 Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8 Client-Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 14:48:27 GMT Client-Peer: x.x.x.x Client-Response-Num: 1 X-AspNet-Version: 1.1.4322 X-Powered-By: ASP.NET <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi= "...

Error.exe
My (sole) E2003 server reports a couple of 1022 errors each week. I am not particularly worried about these as they are for currently unused accounts, but when I click the 'More information' link from the Event log, it tells me to use error.exe to decode the error. What is error.exe and where can I get hold of it? Thanks I tend to use this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=be596899-7bb8-4208-b7fc-09e02a13696c&DisplayLang=en -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Alistair Taylor" &...

SQL 2008 intellisense errors Invalid Object
3 days ago I switched out my old SQL 2005 (SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS) server for a new one with SQL 2008(SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS). I created the Linked Server to my second server that runs SQL 2005 (Latin1_General_BIN) with the default Linked Server settings. When trying to compile stored procedures from the new SQL 2008 server that calls objects on the second SQL 2005 server I was getting an error (Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_BIN" in the equal to operation) I found that SQL 2008 by...

VBA Error Message "Compile Error...."
I used a macro from Ron's website to mail each worksheet to the email address in cell a1. I ran this macro and it worked perfectly for one workbook BUT... when I tried to use it for another workbook I got the follwing error message "Microsoft Visual Basic Compile Error Can't find project or library Ok Help". Help me please... do I have to check some more references in the VBA tools? Thanks, Steve Hi Steve Have you set the reference to Outlook in that other workbook also ? You must do that in every workbook or you can use Late binding. See my site for a example --...

Default values
How can I set up default values for text box fields for new records? Fore example: I would like to set up default value for Country so when user creates new account - country field is populated with that vaue. Thanks, m Hi there You would need to use a picklist field instead of a text field and add a value for each country. You can then set the default country. This is all done in Systom Customisation > Customise Form. Other than this you could use a workflow based on Account Create. Insert a condition to check the country field is null, and insert an action to update the country fi...

DLookup error
I'm trying to reference a control on a subreport in a DLookup formula. This is my formula =(DLookUp("[txtletter]","[tblComplaintnbr]","[txtYear]=Reports![rptcomplaintsPage1]![rptcomplaints].[txtYear]") & [txtrefnbr]) Where rptcomplaintsPage1 is the main report and rptcomplaints is the subreport and the control txtyear is on the subreport. can anyone see where I'm going wrong? I've tried using a ! before txtyear and that doesn't work either. Thanks Tony Solved I missed out the last Report! before the control name and I've been loo...

Enter Button / WM_USER
Hello, again: I've yet another question to all you guru's of MFC. I've written a program in MFC, and I'm having a problem with it and the "Enter button." If at anytime during the application's execution, the user hits the enter button, the application closes. I'm assuming it's because the exit has the focus??? It doesn't matter if the user is in an edit box, the application closes. How can I disable this feature? Second, I'm accustomed to the Win32 API. How can I define my own messages (WM_USER + XXX), and have that correspond to the ...

Can't Assign Value to this Object
I think I've seen this problem before but I can't remember the reason or solution. I have a form (in add mode) whose record source is a single table. For most fields on the form, the user will input data, but for a couple of fields I am trying to populate them with the values of global variables. I've got the global variables working (I can assign one to an unbound text box on the form), but when I try to assign the variable value to a bound text box, I get an error message that "Run-time error 2448: You can't assign a value to this object". Here is ...

Populate cell with a value if another cell has a certain value
All, good morning. i have a issue, i need to populate cell E4 with a value CX/025966 when cell F4 has a text Bond Street. Is there a simple way of doin this? EXCEL 2007 Try:- =IF((F4="Bond Street"),"CX/025966","") If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "B2ORL" wrote: > All, good morning. i have a issue, i need to populate cell E4 with a value > CX/025966 when cell F4 has a text Bond Street. > > Is there a simple way of doin this? Use IF() =IF(F4="Bond Street","CX/02...

Trade Discount entered into a PO is not prefilled on rcpt
A Trade Discount entered into a PO is not prefilled on an invoice or Shipment /invoice receipt that were automatically received. Unfortunately the freight, trade discount and Miscellaneous fields do not populate automatically. One needs to reenter the amounts for these values manually again on the receipt. With the ability to Auto Receive multiple purchase orders within this window on one receipt, this requires the end user to enter the figures manually. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote f...

Lookup a value in a table and display text if a value exists
I have a customer database form named frmMain with a field called txtAgency. I also have a table that has a column of agency codes that are in the Outlook Global directory. The table is called tbl_Global and consist of about 40 records. If the user inputs an agency that is within this table on the frmMain, I want the phone number field (txtPhone) on the database form to automatically display "See Outlook". If the agency is not within this list, I want the end user to be able input a value on the form. What is the best way to go about this? Use DLookup() to get t...

Reporting Services error when reinstalling DPM 07
I'm in the process of upgrading DPM 2007 to 2010. I did the O/S upgrade from 2003 to 2008 Server. Now I'm trying to re-install DPM 2007 and I can't get past the prerequisite check. The error is below: Setup has detected that the installation of Reporting Services is not correctly configured or no instance of Reporting Services is linked to of SQL Server. 1)To use the local dedicated MS$DPM2007$ instance with DPM, uninstall SQL Server and run setup again. 2)To use the option of installing DPM with an existing instance of SQL Server, make sure that the Reporting ...

Summing visible column values but not hidden column values
I need to write a SUM function that will add up the numbers in several columns of data (for example, A4:S4), but I only want it to add those columns that are visible, not those that are hidden. Is there any way to have Excel add only the numbers in the visible columns, not in any hidden columns? Thanks. Hi have you hiddent he columns manually?. If yes you'll need VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "BW" <BW@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:CBAFDFDF-FFFD-4521-97EC-CD3941FD8686@microsoft.com... > I need to write a SUM function that ...

CRM 3.0 Data Migration FrameWork Error
Hello, I am runing CRM 3.0 with window 2003 Small Business Server. I install CRM 3.0 data migration framework. However, when I run the framework, system throw a run time error as: Microsoft.Crm.DataMigration.Shell.exe Application has generate an exception that could not be handled. Process id = 0x13cc (5068), Thread id = 0x13d0 (5072). I try to uninstall and reinstall it again, but the same error occur. Does anyone sucessfully run the data migration framework ? -- Thanks, Hi Ken, Just so you know your are not alone, I have the same issue. Did you ever manage to fix it? Regards, N...

Can't Enter New Contact in Business Contact Manager
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 SP1 When I try to enter a new contact in Business Contact Manager I receive the error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.". In addition, when I try to enter Journal entries I receive the error "The custom form could not be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead." but I am still able to continue and the journal entry gets logged. I don't know if these are related but I need HELP!!! Thanks!! ...