Validation of one column based on value of another column

Hello,

This is the first time i've ever posted on this board, so bear with
me. I am trying to add data validation to one column, that checks the
value of another column in the same form, and if the value is true,
not allow a 0 to be entered in the column.

For example, Column 1 = Type, Column 2 = Usage.

If Column1 = Gas, Electric, Water, or Sewer, Then Column2 should not
allow a 0 value. If Column1 = Fire, Garbage, Sanitation Then Column2
should allow a zero value.

Currently my validation is >0 which works, but doesn't filter its
validation based on column1, only on the value of column2.

Is this even possible with Access? I am using Access 2007, but the
actual database was created in Access 2000

0
webinsomniac

there are several ways to do this. the simplest way to explain here is:  add
validation code to the *form's* BeforeUpdate event procedure. something
along the lines of

    Select Case Me!FirstControlName
        Case "Gas", "Electric", "Water", "Sewer"
            If Me!SecondControlName = 0 Then
                Cancel = True
                Me!SecondControlName.SetFocus
                MsgBox "whatever message you want to " _
                    & "give the user"
            End If
    End Select

the above assumes that what you refer to as "Column1" and "Column2" are
actually *controls* in a form set to Continuous View or Datasheet View. so
replace FirstControlName and SecondControlName with the correct names of the
controls, of course.

hth

<webinsomniac@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> This is the first time i've ever posted on this board, so bear with
> me. I am trying to add data validation to one column, that checks the
> value of another column in the same form, and if the value is true,
> not allow a 0 to be entered in the column.
>
> For example, Column 1 = Type, Column 2 = Usage.
>

> If Column1 = Gas, Electric, Water, or Sewer, Then Column2 should not
> allow a 0 value. If Column1 = Fire, Garbage, Sanitation Then Column2
> should allow a zero value.
>

> Currently my validation is >0 which works, but doesn't filter its
> validation based on column1, only on the value of column2.
>

> Is this even possible with Access? I am using Access 2007, but the
> actual database was created in Access 2000

0
tina
7/14/2007 2:43:39 AM
On Jul 13, 7:43 pm, "tina" <nos...@address.com> wrote:
> there are several ways to do this. the simplest way to explain here is:  add
> validation code to the *form's* BeforeUpdate event procedure. something
> along the lines of
>
>     Select Case Me!FirstControlName
>         Case "Gas", "Electric", "Water", "Sewer"
>             If Me!SecondControlName = 0 Then
>                 Cancel = True
>                 Me!SecondControlName.SetFocus
>                 MsgBox "whatever message you want to " _
>                     & "give the user"
>             End If
>     End Select
>
> the above assumes that what you refer to as "Column1" and "Column2" are
> actually *controls* in a form set to Continuous View or Datasheet View. so
> replace FirstControlName and SecondControlName with the correct names of the
> controls, of course.
>
> hth
>
> <webinsomn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > This is the first time i've ever posted on this board, so bear with
> > me. I am trying to add data validation to one column, that checks the
> > value of another column in the same form, and if the value is true,
> > not allow a 0 to be entered in the column.
>
> > For example, Column 1 = Type, Column 2 = Usage.
>
> > If Column1 = Gas, Electric, Water, or Sewer, Then Column2 should not
> > allow a 0 value. If Column1 = Fire, Garbage, Sanitation Then Column2
> > should allow a zero value.
>
> > Currently my validation is >0 which works, but doesn't filter its
> > validation based on column1, only on the value of column2.
>
> > Is this even possible with Access? I am using Access 2007, but the
> > actual database was created in Access 2000

Thank you very much for the quick response. I will test this out, and
get back to you.

Sincerely,

M. Carrizales

0
webinsomniac
7/14/2007 5:08:33 AM
I got a variable not defined on the cancel = true statement. I will
attempt to troubleshoot this and hopefully have a working validation
soon. Thanks for the help thusfar!

On Jul 13, 10:08 pm, "webinsomn...@gmail.com" <webinsomn...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jul 13, 7:43 pm, "tina" <nos...@address.com> wrote:
>

> > there are several ways to do this. the simplest way to explain here is:  add
> > validation code to the *form's* BeforeUpdate event procedure. something
> > along the lines of
>
> >     Select Case Me!FirstControlName
> >         Case "Gas", "Electric", "Water", "Sewer"
> >             If Me!SecondControlName = 0 Then
> >                 Cancel = True
> >                 Me!SecondControlName.SetFocus
> >                 MsgBox "whatever message you want to " _
> >                     & "give the user"
> >             End If
> >     End Select
>
> > the above assumes that what you refer to as "Column1" and "Column2" are
> > actually *controls* in a form set to Continuous View or Datasheet View. so
> > replace FirstControlName and SecondControlName with the correct names of the
> > controls, of course.
>
> > hth
>
> > <webinsomn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Hello,
>
> > > This is the first time i've ever posted on this board, so bear with
> > > me. I am trying to add data validation to one column, that checks the
> > > value of another column in the same form, and if the value is true,
> > > not allow a 0 to be entered in the column.
>
> > > For example, Column 1 = Type, Column 2 = Usage.
>
> > > If Column1 = Gas, Electric, Water, or Sewer, Then Column2 should not
> > > allow a 0 value. If Column1 = Fire, Garbage, Sanitation Then Column2
> > > should allow a zero value.
>
> > > Currently my validation is >0 which works, but doesn't filter its
> > > validation based on column1, only on the value of column2.
>
> > > Is this even possible with Access? I am using Access 2007, but the
> > > actual database was created in Access 2000
>
> Thank you very much for the quick response. I will test this out, and
> get back to you.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> M. Carrizales

0
noservice
7/16/2007 6:09:42 PM
Did you put the code in the form's BeforeUpdate event, as Tina suggested, or
did you put it in some other event?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"noservice@address.com" <webinsomniac@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I got a variable not defined on the cancel = true statement. I will
> attempt to troubleshoot this and hopefully have a working validation
> soon. Thanks for the help thusfar!
>

> On Jul 13, 10:08 pm, "webinsomn...@gmail.com" <webinsomn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 7:43 pm, "tina" <nos...@address.com> wrote:
>>

>> > there are several ways to do this. the simplest way to explain here is:
>> > add
>> > validation code to the *form's* BeforeUpdate event procedure. something
>> > along the lines of
>>
>> >     Select Case Me!FirstControlName
>> >         Case "Gas", "Electric", "Water", "Sewer"
>> >             If Me!SecondControlName = 0 Then
>> >                 Cancel = True
>> >                 Me!SecondControlName.SetFocus
>> >                 MsgBox "whatever message you want to " _
>> >                     & "give the user"
>> >             End If
>> >     End Select
>>
>> > the above assumes that what you refer to as "Column1" and "Column2" are
>> > actually *controls* in a form set to Continuous View or Datasheet View.
>> > so
>> > replace FirstControlName and SecondControlName with the correct names
>> > of the
>> > controls, of course.
>>
>> > hth
>>
>> > <webinsomn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Thank you very much for the quick response. I will test this out, and
>> get back to you.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> M. Carrizales

0
Douglas
7/16/2007 6:20:33 PM
On Jul 16, 11:20 am, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> Did you put the code in the form's BeforeUpdate event, as Tina suggested, or
> did you put it in some other event?
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "noserv...@address.com" <webinsomn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I got a variable not defined on the cancel = true statement. I will
> > attempt to troubleshoot this and hopefully have a working validation
> > soon. Thanks for the help thusfar!
>
> > On Jul 13, 10:08 pm, "webinsomn...@gmail.com" <webinsomn...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Thank you very much for the quick response. I will test this out, and
> >> get back to you.
>
> >> Sincerely,
>
> >> M. Carrizales

When I put the event in the BeforeUpdate event, nothing happened when
I tested the field with a zero value. Perhaps I am not defining the
control names properly. I will look into this.

0
noservice
7/16/2007 6:32:49 PM
Ok, first of all, thanks for the help with this. I seemed to have
solved the issues and it is validating correctly. I had to remove the
Me!SecondControlName.SetFocus  because that threw out an error
relating to the data not yet being saved (Runtime 2108). Your code
gave me enough clues as to what I was doing wrong. Again, THANK YOU
VERY MUCH for your help. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

M. Carrizales

0
noservice
7/16/2007 8:14:55 PM
you're welcome  :)
and though i didn't set out to give you code that would err, that's not
always a bad thing - you can learn a lot from digging around and solving a
problem "the hard way", as you did. good job, and good luck as you continue
your project.

> Ok, first of all, thanks for the help with this. I seemed to have
> solved the issues and it is validating correctly. I had to remove the
> Me!SecondControlName.SetFocus  because that threw out an error
> relating to the data not yet being saved (Runtime 2108). Your code
> gave me enough clues as to what I was doing wrong. Again, THANK YOU
> VERY MUCH for your help. I really appreciate it.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> M. Carrizales

0
tina

Can a DL List be broken down and sent one address per message?
I currently have an exchange 2003 box in a Server 2003 domain. I have 150 odd workers in the field who carry cell phones. I created a Distribution List in a public folder, and used the [add new...] button to place each cell users "text message" address in the list. (5551231234@vtext.com is the format). I did not create contacts or domain/email accounts for these users. They exist no where except for in this DL. Yesterday, I sent an email to supervisors@mydomain.com (supervisors is the list name) from my local exchange account using outlook and all worked fine. It showed up as a...

Moving Knowledge Base Articles from one CRM server to another
Hi all, I am trying to copy Knowledge base articles in CRM from a production environment to a Development environment. I can not find a tool that does this any assistance would be appreciated Ranga You could write a fairly simple SDK based utility to do this. Otherwise, you might look to buy something like Scribe migrate. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Ranga" <ranga.ngwerume@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1141073508.821512.55840@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... Hi all, I am trying to copy Knowledge base articles in CRM from a production environment to a Develop...

DON'T PASTE IN HIDDEN COLUMNS
IS THERE A WAY THAT I CAN HIDE VARIOUS COLUMNS ON MY WORKSHEET AND PASTE SOMETHING FROM ANOTHER WORKSHEET ONTO ONLY THE UNHIDDEN COLUMNS. THANKS SHERRY Hi Try this Select the range (inclusive of hidden column), click Edit > Goto > Special > Visible cells only (system will select those cells that are not hidden). Then, carry out the usual copy and paste action. >-----Original Message----- >IS THERE A WAY THAT I CAN HIDE VARIOUS COLUMNS ON MY >WORKSHEET AND PASTE SOMETHING FROM ANOTHER WORKSHEET ONTO >ONLY THE UNHIDDEN COLUMNS. > >THANKS SHERRY >. > ...

Msgbox entry validation
The following Macro will not loop more than twice the error entries. Will someone help me correct it to loop indefinely? Thanks Sub Entry_validation() Dim Teststring As String Dim Inputstring As String Cells(1, 1) = "ABC" 'as given filename Cells(2, 1) = "DEF" 'as given filename Cells(3, 1) = "GHI" 'as given filename Cells(4, 1) = "JKL" 'as given filename errorloop: Inputstring = InputBox(prompt:="Enter Filename" & vbLf & "Enter abort to abort en...

Data Validation -> Validation list is larger than the cell width
I have a workbook that I've just added data validation to one cell. FWIW, the data validation is based on a named range. Here's the (perceived) problem. When I've set up data validation in the past, the selection is the same width as the cell. In this case, the list starts almost a full cell width to the left. What am I missing? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, In Excel2003 I can replicate what you describe under the following conditions: 1. the named range contains entries that are wider than the data validation cell 2. The data validation cell is r...

Restoring one Dynamics table instead of the whole database
Is it possible to restore just a table into the SQLdatabase instead of the entire database? We accidentally deleted a budget and would like to restore just the GL00200 and the GL00201 tables... thanks! -- Doug I restored the backup into a test company (KB 871973). I then used DTS to copy the data to the live company. -- Thanks Titan "Doug" wrote: > Is it possible to restore just a table into the SQLdatabase instead of the > entire database? We accidentally deleted a budget and would like to restore > just the GL00200 and the GL00201 tables... > > thanks...

Outlook 2003
Hi, I remmeber that there is a way that company address and conatcts should be filled to as many contacts (persons) that you have as soon as you fill company info. For example if John is working for Dell at address: xxx Then if another guy with the name James works for Dell, once I fill company name Dell it should fill his address and main phon number. But in my MS Outlook 2003 is not working? Any idea why? Is there any settings that I missed? Thanks, Are you using Save & New... Contact from company? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours...

Copy a Table to another place with Column Alignment Displaced
I am using Excel 2007 In earlier version of Excel, I used to utilise a special function (with icon of Camera ?) to copy the contents of a range of cells alongwith the formating to another place in the worksheet, in a sort of 'picture' or 'mirror' so that the column alignment is for columns above the range copied is NOT done. This has a special advantage in a complex Form. Otherwise, when I split a range of cell columns, unfortunately the whole of the column from top of the workshee to the bootom gets split, thereby disfiguring the other portion of the form. How t...

h:mm to decimal value
Good morning, Is there a formula or easy way to automatically convert a custom h:mm format to a decimal format? Situation: I am working on putting together an Excel Template for my boss for our departmental time sheets. I currently have these basic categories setup (worded differently but will use descriptive terms in this example). Day AM TIME IN, AM TIME OUT, PM TIME IN, PM TIME OUT, Total (h:mm format), and then a Total column (Decimal format) Currently I have the AM, PM cells and Total h:mm cells formatted as "custom" and set to "h:mm". And the Total Deci...

Merging three workbooks and worksheets into one and automatically sorting
Hi all, I am trying to merge three workbooks and worksheets into one and then have the data sorted automatically in the order of the workbook names. For example: I have three workbooks named ... Workbook1, Workbook2, Workbook3 with one worksheet in each named ... Sheet1. All three worksheets have column headings with some column headings being identical in all three worksheets and some columns being unique to each individual worksheet. I would like to merge all three workbooks and worksheets into one and sorted in the order of the workbook names. i.e. merge Workbook1 first, followed by Wor...

zero values #3
Hello, I would like to know how to prevent cells with values zero or empties (is it the same ?) to NOT be plotted in the chart ? After the last dot on the chart matching the last value on the spreadsheet, the line descend to zero on the graph Thank you Michel If you have a formula that is returning either 0 or "" and you want those results not to be plotted as zeroes, get the formula to return NA() instead. -- David Biddulph "Michel" <michel.porthe@orange.fr> wrote in message news:49747146$0$9422$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr... > Hello, > I would like to know ...

One to many
I have 2 tables with a one to many relationship. One table with a family name and one with individual members. I want to generate a report that is filtered eliminating some individuals that do not want to be included. The report is grouped to the family record. The queries that I have tried to make combine the 2 tables eliminating the grouping. Is there a way to filter a report - OR generate a query that preserves the one to many relationship? Put a Yes/No field in the table with the individual members called Excluded. Put a checkmark in the Excluded field for all those indiv...

Conditional Formats Date Based
I need to format a row in a workbook so that the cells in the range change color based on a date on another workbook. It needs to be formatted so that when a certain date ie 12/1/09 is reached, the color changes to green, but is yellow or red if it's later than 12/1/09 like 3/1/09 depending on what's entered in the worksheet. It's best to assign a cell outside your print area to equal the date in the other workbook, then give that cell a name (like "EffectiveDate"). Then in your conditional format you can use <EffectiveDate or <=EffectiveDate. -- ...

Validating against a DTD
Hello All, I am trying to validate an xml file against a DTD. I went through a lot of examples especially: http://www.xmlforasp.net/codebank/util/srcview.aspx?path=../../codebank/System_Xml/XmlValidatingReader/Validator/validator.src&file=validator.cs&font=3 but its not working in my case. First of all, when i try to add my DTD file in XmlSchemaCollection object, it throws an error saying DocType element is expected. I am using NITF DTD for this and there is no DocType element in it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. VD You should not add DTDs to XmlSchemaCollection. XmlSchema...

Display of one thousand individuals emails
Sent one thousand emails into my box Where did these items come from? "Display their names also" <Displaytheirnamesalso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8BF2FFA-52D5-4423-8033-81FEF6DED332@microsoft.com... > Sent one thousand emails into my box And the problem you have with these 1000 messages is... ? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net...

switch from one email address to another like Outlook
My husband and I each have our own email addresses in Outlook Express, very easy to use, but do not understand why it cannot be done in Office. We switched to Office because every few weeks the system would do it automatically and we tired of having to go through the procedures of changing our account back to Outlook Express. Any advise is welcomed! "Covach" <Covach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43C3727B-1C42-4E35-A73E-23C21FF734FD@microsoft.com... > My husband and I each have our own email addresses in Outlook Express, > very > easy to use...

Copying calendar items to another PC ???
Can you copy calendar items (without using shared folders) to another PC? I envision sending a file to another person using email. On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:17:10 -1000, Pete B. <pbrwn@hotmail.com> wrote: > Can you copy calendar items (without using shared folders) to another > PC? I > envision sending a file to another person using email. To copy individual calendar items via e-mail just open the calendar item, choose Actions | Forward (or Forward as iCal depending upon what app the other person is using). You could also export multiple calendar items (or your who...

Validation dropdown list is not coming visible
Hi, I'm using XP and 2003. I have a problem that I have once found resolution, but now it came again and cannot remember what needs to be done. Here is the problem: There is a column where Validation is specified in right manner with error message in case of error. When selecting the cell - dropdown list is not coming visible. In case I write something wrong it gives error message. If I recall correctly - it was something to do with some kind of list. How can I change this to work properly? I tried to paste new column from another file where the column is working as I want...

Base class constructor call with derived class
Is there a way, other than an initialization list, to call a base-class copy constructor in a derived-class function in order to copy base class member data? Thanks. Chip Pulitzer wrote: >Is there a way, other than an initialization list, to call a base-class copy >constructor in a derived-class function in order to copy base class member >data? You mean "derived-class ctor", and the answer is no. Once you've entered a ctor body, the base class and member subobjects that weren't mentioned in the member initialization list have already been default-initialized. ...

Need help copying to column to rows
I need help copying an entire column of information into multiple rows without doing so manually considering that I have over 4000 addresses that need to be arranged into rows. For example: Column A 1. Smith & Sons 2. 223 5th AVE, New York, NY 11234 3. Phone: (212) 758-0718 4. 5. Joe's Auto 6. 556 60th STREET, Brooklyn, NY 11220 7. Phone: (718) 745-0778 I need this to come out like this: ColumnA Column B Column C 1. Smith & Sons 223 5th AVE, New York, NY 11234 Phone: (212) 758-0718 2. Joe's Aut...

Messages from one e-mail address double in Outlook inbox
Every time I get a message from one particular e-mail address, I get it twice in my inbox. It may have something to do with the sort / sub-folder rule but I could use help on this ...

Data Validation
Hi all I want to set data validation on a cell so that it will accept the following (and only the following) text strings: (1) "BR" (literally) or (2) "NT" (literally) or (3) "nA" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take any of the values "L", "P", "T", "V" or "Y" or (4) "An" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take either of the values "K" or "D". Is this possible, please, and if so how? thanks -- Return e...

Entering a Formula / Wrong value
I have inserted a new column into the work sheet called column D, I have named the cell D1 Service. In cell D2 I enter the formula =(TODAY()-E2)/365 and should come up with the Value 4.9 in D2 and them drag the fill handle down 14 cells to compute the rest of the length in the new column D. But in cell D2 I keep getting the Value 9.58989, I have tried reducing the # of decimals and also widening the with of the new column D, but with no luck. As a new Excel user can someone give me a tip on how to trouble shoot this situation? I get 4.9 if E2 contains 31 December 2002 or 9.58989 if...

Delete rows based on a cell value in the row
I'd like to delete rows from a spreadsheet based on the value of a cell in a row. This is a very large spreadsheet (60,000+ lines). I want to delete rows based on a value (in this case all parts which are purchased- vs mfd) without destroying the spreadsheet structure. In this case I have several bills of material where I want to list all the assemblies, but not the purchased parts. It seems it should be possible, but I'm not having any luck with the filter method. Thanks, Dave sort?? or use a macro to delete, from the bottom up, if the cell contains your text -- Don Gu...

reinstall-validation problem
Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over. All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself during one of the boots and I think little of it until ... During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop figured I just download it. When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it, at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, g...