update many fields in a form from existing info.

I have 2 tables.  One table stores various information about companies
including company name, address, etc.  The second table stores student names.
 In a form, I am able to enter mutiple student names into a memo field and,
as of right now, type in the company name, address, etc. (it is not linked to
the company name table at all).

What I want to do is this: from the student add form, search the company
table for a company based on partial name and/or zipcode, select one company
from a possible 1 or more companies, and have the fields in the form
automatically fill in - pulling the information from the companies table.
If the company searched for does not exist, I want to be able to prompt the
user of this, and give the user the ability to add the company.

The end result is that I merge this information in a Word document to print
envelopes/receipts to be sent to the company.

First, do I need to have the company information in BOTH the company table
AND the student table?  I'm thinking NOT, as I could use a query.  But I'm
not the expert here, so please advise me.

Step away from the keyboard - you need to rethink your table structure
before you move on.  Adding multiple student names into a memo field is the
WRONG way to do whatever it is you are trying to do.  The way to handle a
1-many relationship is by placing a foreign key in the many-side table.
That means that if a student can be associated with a SINGLE company, you
would add a companyID to the student table.  However if a student can be
associated with many companies and a company can be associated with many
students, you have a m-m relationship and to implement that, you need a
third table which is commonly referred to as a relation or junction table.
This third table will contain the keys to the two tables it is linking and
usually nothing else but we'd need to know more about your application to
say for sure.

Do some reading on normalization and take a look at some of the template
databases created by Microsoft as examples.  Their datanames are poor
practice examples, but usually their schemas are ok.

"Roy Carlson" <RoyCarlson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 tables.  One table stores various information about companies
> including company name, address, etc.  The second table stores student
> names.
> In a form, I am able to enter mutiple student names into a memo field and,
> as of right now, type in the company name, address, etc. (it is not linked
> the company name table at all).
>
> What I want to do is this: from the student add form, search the company
> table for a company based on partial name and/or zipcode, select one
> company
> from a possible 1 or more companies, and have the fields in the form
> automatically fill in - pulling the information from the companies table.
> If the company searched for does not exist, I want to be able to prompt
> the
> user of this, and give the user the ability to add the company.
>
> The end result is that I merge this information in a Word document to
> print
> envelopes/receipts to be sent to the company.
>
> First, do I need to have the company information in BOTH the company table
> AND the student table?  I'm thinking NOT, as I could use a query.  But I'm
> not the expert here, so please advise me.

0
Pat
1/7/2008 4:38:20 PM
I have to do the memo field thing for the student names.  The document I
print them out on requires it...

The receipt for one company will print out like this:

StudentA
StudentB
StudentC...and so on.  There may be 25 students for this one company.  Once
I print these receipts/envelopes/letters, I DELETE ALL of the student data,
as it is no longer necessary, and may change for the next semester's
scholarships.  The students aren't the issue here at all...

Right now I type in many students, and add the company to those many
students.  It works fine.  But I'm leaving after this semester and I want the
people who take my place to have an easier job than I do.  SO, I'm trying to
keep a listing of companies in the database that can be linked to constantly
changing lists of students.  This way the user won't have to type in a
company more than once, ever, while still having to type in student names.

The company table has nothing in it right now...once I get this database
working the way I want, it will have a long list of companies which, using
the student form, can be searched for and added to the temporary student
record.  Once the stationary is printed, we delete the student record.

"Pat Hartman" wrote:

> Step away from the keyboard - you need to rethink your table structure
> before you move on.  Adding multiple student names into a memo field is the
> WRONG way to do whatever it is you are trying to do.  The way to handle a
> 1-many relationship is by placing a foreign key in the many-side table.
> That means that if a student can be associated with a SINGLE company, you
> would add a companyID to the student table.  However if a student can be
> associated with many companies and a company can be associated with many
> students, you have a m-m relationship and to implement that, you need a
> third table which is commonly referred to as a relation or junction table.
> This third table will contain the keys to the two tables it is linking and
> usually nothing else but we'd need to know more about your application to
> say for sure.
>
> Do some reading on normalization and take a look at some of the template
> databases created by Microsoft as examples.  Their datanames are poor
> practice examples, but usually their schemas are ok.
>
> "Roy Carlson" <RoyCarlson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 2 tables.  One table stores various information about companies
> > including company name, address, etc.  The second table stores student
> > names.
> > In a form, I am able to enter mutiple student names into a memo field and,
> > as of right now, type in the company name, address, etc. (it is not linked
> > the company name table at all).
> >
> > What I want to do is this: from the student add form, search the company
> > table for a company based on partial name and/or zipcode, select one
> > company
> > from a possible 1 or more companies, and have the fields in the form
> > automatically fill in - pulling the information from the companies table.
> > If the company searched for does not exist, I want to be able to prompt
> > the
> > user of this, and give the user the ability to add the company.
> >
> > The end result is that I merge this information in a Word document to
> > print
> > envelopes/receipts to be sent to the company.
> >
> > First, do I need to have the company information in BOTH the company table
> > AND the student table?  I'm thinking NOT, as I could use a query.  But I'm
> > not the expert here, so please advise me.

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

Adding two fields together
Does anyone have a solution how can I manage the following: Basic setup: Custom entity with many nvarchar attributes. I created a custom view and selected a filter and the fields I want to have. (I need to export those to Excel-sheet) The problem is that lets say I have attributes A and B, which are ofcourse shown as different fields in the view. What I want is to have them in the same cell in Excel (when I do export) and not in two different columns. Is there any easy way to achieve this without touching the entity itself? (or do I have to create a custom attribute C and some java script On...

How update entity in post update?

file exist
hi, what is the command to check if file exist ? thanks. Lior Montia wrote: > hi, > > what is the command to check if file exist ? > > thanks. Dir("path to file") It will return the name of the file if it exists and "" if it does not. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com "Lior Montia" <liorm@matrix.co.il> wrote in message news:f053kh$edi$1@news2.netvision.net.il... > hi, > > what is the command to check if file exist ? > > thanks. > > Dir() will...

latest update too MSCFV2

Anyone know how to Automatically transfer CSV data to Web page forms?
How can you populate a form fields on a html web page (client side) with data from an Excel file (CSV). The web page has several text fields for input that I manually populate. I would like to transfer the data into the web form automatically from the CSV file. How can this be done? TIA Jman -- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- - Jman, I had some success using the SendKeys method in VBA. It wasn't a web form -- it was a terminal emulator -- but I think I did...

Dynamic Menu update

How do I match values from cells to a list of info
Which function would I use to link data entered in to cells to the corresponding value in the chart. A B C D 1 1 1.5 2 2 .5 2 7 12 3 1 3 8 13 4 1.5 4 9 14 5 2 5 10 15 6 2.5 6 11 16 According to the chart 2x1.5=10. If one cell has the value of 2 another cell has the value of 1.5, is there a function to connect the info? Sorry if the question makes no sense, I am struggling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One way... A10 = vertical lookup ...

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

Set date range and filter results via form/menu for Report Preview
I created a form to use as a "print menu" for a report. You can select the date range (txtStartDate and txtStopDate). I have this part of the code working. However, I also need to be able to filter based on the job flag: [Flag] with value of 1, 2 or 3-- OR show all (still applying the date range). I created a list box on the form and named it [ReportFilter]. It's bound to the first column (hidden) with 0 for All, 1, 2 and 3 to correspond with the Flag names. I can't figure out how to get All records to show on top of not being able to incorporate with the above date range. H...

Determing active form to process function
I suppressed the Ctl-P shortcut by creating a ^p autokey macro that does nothing. Now I want Ctl-P to execute a function if a specific form is open and do nothing otherwise. I added a condition to the macro that if the active from is Data Entry ([Screen].[ActiveForm].[Name]="Data Entry"), it should run the function and the next command is StopMacro. The function runs correctly if the active form is Data Entry, but it returns the error "The Object you referenced in the Visual Basic Procedure as an OLE object isn't an OLE Object" if the screen the user is on is ...

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...