Unsure of database design

Hello all, I hope you can help me!

I'm reasonably new to Access having learnt how to use it and VB mostly
through trial and error!  I'm now trying to set up a new database
which will lookup conditions in animals following a search based on
symptoms, breeds, age etc.

What I'm getting stuck on is the table design for my database.  For
each of the conditions there may be 5 or 6 clinical signs, several
breeds and so on.  What is the best way of structuring this?  Should I
have one big table with maybe eight "Clinical Signs" fields (Clinical
Sign 1, Clinical Sign 2 etc....) for each record, or is it better to
use several tables?  I'm very confused!

Cheers,

Ben

0
ginge6000

hi Ben,

ginge6000@hotmail.com wrote:
> What is the best way of structuring this?  Should I
> have one big table with maybe eight "Clinical Signs" fields (Clinical
> Sign 1, Clinical Sign 2 etc....) for each record, or is it better to
> use several tables?
It is better to use several tables. You always need to normalize your
model.

> I'm very confused!
These articles may enlighten you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization
http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/database/datamodeling/rm/rm7.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=normalization

mfG
--> stefan <--
0
Stefan

Design questions
We are in the process of designing a new database that will be utilized by several areas of the company that are housed in multiple states. We are going to have an Access Database that has 6 different tables. We wanted to use a Web page that will feed a query to update these 6 tables accordingly. However, in preliminary testing, it will only update these tables IF all the tables have the same KEY. We have tried have the same key with foreign keys but that did not work at all. Any ideas how we can get this to work? Bunky I think we're going to need to know why you need one quer...

Matching databases
Hi, is there a way to match data from two excel workbooks based on a variable common in both workbooks? This is very common task in database software like filemaker but I have not figured out how to do it in excel yet. ex. I have two databases in excels containing two different kind of data (i.e adress and phonenumber)for the same subject (i.e name). How do I create a crossreference between the two databases that finds the right adressa and phonenumber for each unique name? Regards Jonas Jonas, Use a VLOOKUP formula - see help for more on how - and set the fourth optional parameter ...

moving company database
I am looking for a database program for a new moving company that would track name, first address and second address, phone numbers, email and comment field. and track how much I was paid for the job and totals for the month, quarter, year. does any want a small challange? marjen@hot.rr.com If you are looking to hire a consultant, be sure to check references carefully, and to be sure the project's parameters and the pricing policies are well-defined. I suspect there is off-the-shelf small business software that will fit your needs at a fraction of the cost of a custom program...

Re: Read only table from replicated database
"Eighte" <Monei@Microsoft.com.my> wrote in message news:... > New. > The says of "READ.." I was in tears for so sakit kena kaca. Takuya removed > it all. That is why I am so scared of glass. Plastic pun aiyo. So what? > Can`t all mind their thoughts and speaches? > > Monei and Grugs.. > As in language. We do speak but we can`t teach. It`s an innerself > knowledge. > > "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message > news:Xns9D46A76825FE7f99a49ed1d0c49c5bbb2@74.209.136.92... >>...

Logos , business cards, flyers , media kits, web optimization, website design
BIG MARKETING FOR SMALL BUSINESS High impact, affordable marketing for your business is finally within reach. Welcome to Ritty in the City. We're a full service print design, internet developer and marketing studio that caters to small and medium sized businesses. But we do it with a twist. http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Ritty.in.the.City.954-749-4308/coupons At Ritty in the City, we believe marketing is not about how big your budget is, it's about wanting to grow your business without betting the farm. That's why we do not charge retainers, lock you into long contracts, ...

microsoft database utility
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I was installing Office 2008 for mac & I got a message that said I might need to rebuild my database utility b/c the folder might be damaged. Suggestions were to open office, go to Microsoft Database Utility, open database utility application, click help and go to database utility help. This means very little to me since I can't find anything that says database utility anywhere on this computer. It said I might not be able to use the address book and scrapbook unless this was repaired. Can anyone help me? Sincer...

Unsure VLOOKUP
I have 2 worksheets. Each worksheets has a vertical list of part numbers (1 sheet has 888 rows and the other has 956. They SHOULD be identical part numbers on each sheet but they obviously are not. In actuality, each page contains part numbers that don't exist on the other. One sheet also contains a material number associated with the part number in the column next to the part number. The other sheet contains a description of the part next to the part number. I was thinking to use an IF statement and VLOOKUP to run down the part numbers on the 2nd page and return the part descriptions t...

Unsure why getting error
In the following block of code I am getting an error for variable not defined and I don't know why as there are no variables If Forms![frmPara1]![cboCore] = "CNO" Then strWhere = strWhere & " Core Capability= """ & CNO & """" End If The code may seem strange but it is the starting point to add several other terms to the string such as CNA, CNE,etc... Any idea why I am getting the above error Thanks Dave Try... strWhere = strWhere & " [Core Capability]= " & """ & Me.cboCore &...

Setup was unable to grant access to the Microsoft CRM databases 10-07-04
I keep getting this message when installing MS CRM 1.2. Anyone else had this issue? ------=_NextPart_0001_31256612 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Brian, This error can mean a few different things. Below are a couple of KB articles that discuss the error message: https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;861915 https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870105 Thank you, Tami J. Lemar Microsoft Business Solutions Support This posting is provided �AS IS� with no warranties, and confers no rights. ------...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Database engine upgrade...
One of our client is using Great Plains Dynamics version 7. Their database engine used is MS-SQL version 7. And they are planning to upgrade from MS-SQL 7 to MS-SQL 2000. Is it possible to do the upgrade with just simply upgrading the database engine? Or should there be a step-by-step guide to do this? Hope to have a reply on this message... Thanks.... Microsoft offers detailed instructions through their SQL Server documentation on upgrading 7.0 to 2000. I have an article I could send you. You can send me a message to callen@nospam.bkd.com but take out the nospam. portion. -- Charles...

Move database from C to D
Can anyone give me direction on how to move the rms database from drive C todrive D? I'm using RMS 2.0. Thanks in advance. -- Randy Manchester Here are some instructions I made for a friend. Please note that these instructions were made on a computer where I didn't have access to an SQL Database, so some of the directories could be wrong. If you need more detailed instructions, e-mail my gmail.com account: natesawyer3. ~Nate 1. Download the appropriate SQL Management Studio Express for your operating system, and install it on the Computer with the database on it. [Link] 2. Open ...

User access to database
My company is looking into MS Dynamics and one of the questions that has come up is what kind of access will end users have to the db? It is my understanding that every user will have a user account within SQL server. As such I would expect that if a user was to access sql server directly w/o going through the Dynamics front end they would have whatever access to the db that their sql user account has. Is this correct? If so what access is that? Any info on this topic would be appreciated. The password setup for a user in GP is encrypted within the database. The GP login process dec...

Which Database technology should i use?
Hi, I am writing a database application usinf MFC and was wondering which of the database technologies is the best to use. Should i use ODBC,OLE DB, ADO,MFC Database classes? I want to future proof my application to some extent. Which method is the most efficent? Which is the most widely used with VC++/MFC. Which is the easiest to learn/use? I'd appreciate all opinions and suggesstions, Thanks In Advance Macca "Macca" wrote: > Hi, > > I am writing a database application usinf MFC and was wondering which of the > database technologies is the best to use. ...

databases
Does anyone know where I can get a data base for Glasshouse crops. Or does anyone of you kind people want to build me one grahame "Glasshouse" <Glasshouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C5909E8-CDA5-4187-84CC-C86064A1F7E1@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know where I can get a data base for Glasshouse crops. > Or does anyone of you kind people want to build me one > grahame You may be able to find someone who will build you a database for a fee. Unfortunately, building an entire database is beyond the scope of the help services we provide here. ...

database freezing
I am having a problem with my database freezing when a duplicate value is entered in the primary field. I have 9 table. Each of them has two primary keys. If a duplicate value is entered in one of them, the database freezes. I would expect it to give me an error msg saying that I am entering a duplicate value. But this does not happen. Why might this be the case? Is there any way in which i can fix this problem? ...

Trying to use 2002 database in 2000
I am taking an access 2002 course which includes a CD with 2002 databases. I have version 2000 at home and at the office. Is there any way to open these databases? Or do I have to upgrade to 2002? Have you tried? The default file format in Access 2002 is the Access 2000 format, so you may get lucky. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Michelle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:011001c4a71c$cb7e6e40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am taking an access 2002 course which includes a CD with > 2002 da...

error
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Processor: Power PC Hi,When I click to open a new or existing Word doc, (it seems it started when using a TEMPLATE doc) - the following "Microsoft Visual Basic" window appears with "End/Debug/Help" options: "run-time error '4231'The languagedesignation method or property is not available in Word for the Mac." I did a remove and reinstall of Office and repaired permissions - Subsequently, some docs are ok, but this message appears with others and renders Word unable to open/print I believe if I can...

How to mirror live database on development sever #2
Hi, Could anyone explain to me the correct procedure to copy the live database (with all configurations and settings) to a development server. I backed up the live company and the dynamics database and restored that on the development server. This caused econnect to fail on invalid registration. Restored original and eConnect works again. I appreciate any help Thanks Justus There is a TK, called something like 'How to move Dynamics database to a new SQL Server' that should work for you -- Doug "justus" wrote: > Hi, > > Could anyone explain to me the c...

Can we have Advanced Find on database other than MSCRM Database
Hi, When the Advanced Find button is clicked in Microsoft CRM,is there any possibility that it can contact another database that is integrated with Microsoft CRM and retrieve the information? Kindly let me know if there are any inputs to this. Thanks Unfortunately not - the data has to come from CRM entities -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.excitation.co.uk "KIRAN" wrote: > Hi, > > When the Advanced Find button is clicked in Microsoft CRM,is there any > possibility that it can contact another database that is integrated with &...

Access database created when opening Excel
Users are having a problem opening Excel within Access in that it creates a 'psuedo-database' (they are not importing). Access is creating a database with the same name as the Excel spreadsheet. The users then have to delete the 'psuedo database' (the one created with the Excel name) when they close the Access database. Is there a fix for this? Is there a setting that we are missing? Thanks, Bill How are they opening Excel within Access? Are you using the Shell function? -- Lynn Trapp MS Access MVP www.ltcomputerdesigns.com Access Security: www.ltcomputerdesigns.com/...

07 Design management confusion
Hi....if you are experienced with Access07 ; can you briefly explain the phenomena when one used the Report Design Wizard all the fields created are "bound" together...and when you go to alter one it alters the entire group.....so to speak... and the data field is "bound" to its label....I can't seem to tweak the label names have floundered around to turn off this field group binding but not sure if it is possible.... tia -- NTC NetworkTrade wrote: > Hi....if you are experienced with Access07 ; can you briefly explain the > phenomena when one used the ...

Overwrote Database
I hope some one can help with this. I accidently tried to name a new Access database the same as a database that I already had created. I was allowed to create the new database with the same name, but now the original database is gone. When I go the new database, none of my original objects are there and instead it looks like a new database. I have tried lookign in the recycling bin, but to no avail. Can any one help or am I stuck. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you don't have a backup, I do believe you are out of luck. You didn't actively delete it but ...

Joins Across Servers/Databases
Hi there, Is there an easy way to use excel to create a single query that joins two different databases, such as an oracle db and a MS SQL db, and bring the data back into one excel worksheet. This is a complicated task that I'm trying to accomplish, but have not had any luck so far. Thanks in advance ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Did you try Data>Get External Data>New Database Query? In the wizard, select a table and proceed to the las...

R&D database
I would like to create an R&D database with the following: I want to create a Tests table, PartNumbers table, PartNumberTests table and a Results table. We will enter tests in the tests table, and part numbers in the PartNumbers table. then we would like to assign tests to a partnumber in the partnumberTests table. Up to here I have no problem doing this via forms and creating whatever is necessary (relationships, queries, etc). Then We would like to call up a form that would display a part number and its related tests and empty fields so that results can be properly recorded (into t...