unbound text box filter by form on Split Form

I have a split form, with several unbound text boxes, which I would normally
use as a filter by form type function.  the query has criteria bound to these
text boxes.
My problem is that I cannot seem to get the mouse to focus on the unbound
text boxes on this split form.  when i click in the unbound filter by form
text box, the focus immediately moves to the first text box that is bound to
data on the form.
Is there a solution to this, or if this is an unknown problem to anyone
else, then i will try recreating my split form in a different way.  if it is
a problem, then any ideas for a solution would be appreciated.
If perhaps a split form cannot have any unbound data entry controls on it,
then I could create a form with the search criteria on, and keep the forms
seperate.  If i was to do this, though i would like to 'dock' this form at
the top of the window, and then have the split form 'dock' underneath, as if
there was an application level window splitter control.  Is this possible?  I
guess I am looking for an elegant solution.  Another option might be to put
the filter by form text boxes in the ribbon, and I have added some stuff
here, but I am unsure how I might refer to the control in a query criteria.
thanks for reading this far, and I am grateful for any insights you can give
me.

"Ian Burton" wrote:

> I have a split form, with several unbound text boxes, which I would normally
> use as a filter by form type function.  the query has criteria bound to these
> text boxes.
> My problem is that I cannot seem to get the mouse to focus on the unbound
> text boxes on this split form.  when i click in the unbound filter by form
> text box, the focus immediately moves to the first text box that is bound to
> data on the form.
> Is there a solution to this, or if this is an unknown problem to anyone
> else, then i will try recreating my split form in a different way.  if it is
> a problem, then any ideas for a solution would be appreciated.
> If perhaps a split form cannot have any unbound data entry controls on it,
> then I could create a form with the search criteria on, and keep the forms
> seperate.  If i was to do this, though i would like to 'dock' this form at
> the top of the window, and then have the split form 'dock' underneath, as if
> there was an application level window splitter control.  Is this possible?  I
> guess I am looking for an elegant solution.  Another option might be to put
> the filter by form text boxes in the ribbon, and I have added some stuff
> here, but I am unsure how I might refer to the control in a query criteria.
> thanks for reading this far, and I am grateful for any insights you can give
> me.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Reply''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I have worked out the answer.  I had made a simple mistake, and I had put
the after update code in the onclick event instead for some mad reason.
therefore, it does all work fine, and the split form seems to have the same
type of functionality as a normal form, but with the very nice synchronicity
between a datasheet view and the form view.

Any answers to the idea of docking a form, or putting a search box in the
ribbon and using it as a criteria though would be appreciated.
thanks.

text color
This is my second post on this problem. Using Pub. 2002 and HP6122 printer. Created a postal card and had a color problem. Created the card and changed some of the lines to a blue ink. Saved the doc. and decided to change the blue back to black. When I printed it out it wasn't sharp. In looking under a Magnifying glass I could see the blue color edge behind the black and it makes the type fuzzy. Contacted HP and they suggested I try the same procedure in other applications as Word, Notepad, Wordpad, Works, etc. The problem does not happen in other programs. HP says it is n...

Text join formulas working but act as straight text when modified
I have a spreadsheet in which I am using left and right functions to populate a new column. This seems to work if I key the whole thing in at once. When I try to modify the formula, it stops working and displays as straight text. Format of all cells is general. The formula in question is as follows: =LEFT(B5,2)&RIGHT(B5,2)&(A5). It works after I key it, but if I key any change to it, it displays as text only and stops working. Thanks for the help! Ken K. -- akkrug Ken, The behavior you are describing occurs when a cell has a Text format applied after the entry of the form...

unbound forms
I have a form that has a recordsource based on a query I typed in and I have all the controls on the form unbound. I believe with a bound control it keeps a link to the database so there is a lot of communication between form and database right? With an unbound form does the recordsource "download" a recordset that the form then walks through? So if I add a next button to the form, when next is clicked does the form requery the database or does it get the data from the recordset? I am working in access 2007 and right now the database is split with the backend stil...

Outlook-option "ARE YOU SURE" POPUP 4 -EMAILS W/ ATTACH in text
ATTACHMENTS OFTEN DON'T GET --- ATTACHED! I would like to see an option whereby you could choose to have a POP UP ask you if you are ready to send the email WHEN ANY FORM OF THE WORD "ATTACH" is included in the subject or body of the email AND THERE IS NO ATTACHMENT. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-ba...

I have accidently hidden all my drwing, text boxes, etc
I have a file with several drawings, text boxes, etc. I now cannot see them nor can i add any new drawings, text boxes, etc., to this file. I might have accidently hit some shortcut key sequence to hide them. How do i get them back? Thank you, Tonso On Jun 20, 10:32 am, Billy <wthoma...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a file with several drawings, text boxes, etc. I now cannot see > them nor can i add any new drawings, text boxes, etc., to this file. I > might have accidently hit some shortcut key sequence to hide them. How > do i get them back? > > Thank you, > >...

Plain text freindly..
Please make this product (v10.6515.6626) easier to use for those of us who have standardized on plain text messages. Specifically: * Have ONE setting to configure the mailer to send and receive in plain text. * The reply option does not reliably start in plain text mode * Make the spell checker smarter to avoid checking quoted plain text. * Keep the inbox from making hits onto the internet (which is all spam anyway and therefore a privacy breech) * When replying, only quote *selected* text to keep messages short. * Make a "paste as quotation" option so that text may be inse...

Text orientation when saved as web page
I have an Excel file and I need to save it as a web page. When I do, text that I had displayed vertically (Format/Cells/Alignment/Orientation) are displayed horizonally. How can I get the text to stay the way I want it? ...

Text wrapping
I have a problem with Outlook 2002 wrapping text in plain text emails I send at 72 characters. I've changed the Plain Text Options (under Mail Format; Internet Format; Plain Text Options; Automatically Wrap Text) to 80 characters but it still wraps at 72. This is causing big problems because I send out links that wrap and therefore don't work. When I go back and check the settings, it shows that I'm set to 80 characters but ignores the setting. Can anyone please offer any assistance? Thank you, Lee For anyone else with the same problem, installing the Jan 2003 Outlook securit...

I need to add two text boxes from two different reports.
I am adding a value from one monthly report to another monthly report. I keep getting #name. Please help! "Shawna" <Shawna@discussions.microsoft.com> > I am adding a value from one monthly report to another monthly report. I > keep getting #name. Please help! Give us a few more details. What are you typing into your text boxes? You can't actually add up things in 2 different reports - reports are just ways of showing data - I'm guessing that you are really adding up things from a table. A common cause of the #name error is when you are trying to refer to a...

Convert text to numbers
Hi I have a column of numbers in text format - I need to change them to number format When I goto Format ->cells to change - it does not work Is there another way to change? Thanks Hi - copy an empty cell - select your values - goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Add' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany yahoo wrote: > Hi > > I have a column of numbers in text format - I need to change them to > number format > > When I goto Format ->cells to change - it does not work > Is there another way to change? > > Thanks ...

how to keep Cedit box scrolled to the bottom
How do you prevent a cedit box from scrolling to the top after changing its text and submitting an UpdateData(FALSE) command ? currently I use m_OutputEditBox.LineScroll(m_OutputEditBox.GetLineCount()); however that creates alot of flicker Thanks, Nick "Nick Schultz" <nick.schultz@flir.com> wrote in message news:%23q%233lbe7IHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > How do you prevent a cedit box from scrolling to the top after changing > its text and submitting an UpdateData(FALSE) command ? > > currently I use > m_OutputEditBox.LineScroll(m_OutputEditBox....

Text Box
I have a chart on its own worksheet. I need to have a text box (or something similar) on that chart that references a cell in another worksheet. That way a user could enter a "batch number" once and have it appear in several graphs in that workbook. Thanks. Bern Muller wrote: > I have a chart on its own worksheet. I need to have a text box (or > something similar) on that chart that references a cell in another > worksheet. That way a user could enter a "batch number" once and have > it appear in several graphs in that workbook. Select the chart. In the fo...

Conditional Formatting based on Text within Text
I need to create a conditional format based on a text string that will be contained in a larger text string within the active cell. I know I can use either the SEARCH or FIND function to determine if a text string is contained within a larger string, but those functions require a cell address and I don't know how to apply them to the current cell address, whatever it might be. So, for example, if the text string is "needs training", and the text in cell A5 is "George has had some exposure to the app, but he needs training", then I would want that cell to apply ...

Find part of text in column or array
Hi. Please need your help for this I have a table that I past from another aplication to a blank worksheet, i this workbook i have a sheet with formulas and i need one to find in that table a field that contains at least a part of text field that i need to find. I appreciate your help. Thanks ...

form
i have a form that is linked to a table. all i do is enter data from the form. i converted the database from 2000 to 2003 because i want to use with runtime. for some reason the form doesnt open up in data entry mode. i can scroll through records etc but the * is not available to use to create a new record. it worked no problem before now its not. everything is checked for the properties for data entry. when i use the database with runtime, the total form is blank. thats another story. does anyone have any ideas what is happening. thanks ...

Checking a box on a report
I think there must be a simple way to do this, but I can't figure it out. I have a report that must match a printed form. On the report, each record needs one of about 12 checkboxes checked and all the rest blank. The value that determines which box to check is the combination of two field values, stored in different tables. I have named each box based on this value. I want to calculate the value of the correct box, then set its value to true. Is there a way to set the report's checkbox to true from a proceedure? -rg On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:04:00 -0700, rg <rg@discussions.micr...

Missing Text in Cell
When I put text into a cell, sometimes I can't see the bottom line of text unless I use Print Preview mode. Is there any way to see the exact WYSIWYG of a sheet and be able to edit it at the same time? (Page Break Preview mode also doesn't work.) I've never seen a 100% way to make sure that the stuff you see is what gets printed. But if you adjust the rowheight, doesn't it look ok? David Godinger wrote: > > When I put text into a cell, sometimes I can't see the bottom line of > text unless I use Print Preview mode. > > Is there any way to see the exa...

Remove portion of text from cells
When subtotating, the subtotal row shows as "John Smith Total". How do you remove the word Total from all the subtotal rows? Select that column and do edit|Replace what: _total (_ = space bar) with: (leave blank) replace all glenlee wrote: > > When subtotating, the subtotal row shows as "John Smith Total". How > do you remove the word Total from all the subtotal rows? -- Dave Peterson ...

text and letters
Dear all, couple days ago i have set a query how can use the concatenate formula More of you replied and thank you very much there is a way that i acn take specific characters from a word? eg; i have in a cell the word BUDGET there is a way to make a link with formula to another cell and take only the B D G in order to show BDG? Thanks in advance Manos If you're always substituting for the same word, you can use =IF(B1="BUDGET","BDG","") If you always want to delete the letters E, T and U: =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B1,"E",&...

how do i make a box plot?
Jon Peltier has instructions for Box and Whisker Plots: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#BoxWhisker megan pitcher wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

date filter
my table has a date/time field. when I datasheet it , it shows date in format dd/mm/yy. In my report I want to filter the date field on 8th Feb 2008. If I set filter to tabdate = #08/02/2008# it doesn't find any records, however if I put tabdate = #02/08/2008# it finds them fine. Why do I have to use mm/dd/yyy format ? "simcon" wrote: > my table has a date/time field. when I datasheet it , it shows date in format > dd/mm/yy. In my report I want to filter the date field on 8th Feb 2008. > If I set filter to tabdate = #08/02/2008# it doesn't find any records, &...

Gray status boxes -- saving, repagination, ""
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Today I started getting gray rectangular &quot;status boxes&quot; any time I pasted a word. The &quot;Edit&quot; in the Menu would flash every time I pasted a word (Command-v). Then the &quot;status box&quot; would have a horizontal line fill from left to right. <br><br>This new development also has the same type of box for indicating that Word is checking for smart quotes or repaginating a 100 page document. When the show codes option is turned on, the &quot;status box&qu...

Bound form with unbound controls
I have a bound form that has 2 unbound combo boxes that I need to have the value of combo #2 as a field value of the table the form is bound to. Haven't worked with ACCESS in a while so my programming is off, but can anyone help me out here? Thanks, Jeff This is an odd request. May I ask why you need an unbound control that has a value from the same table that the form is bound to? Do you mean field name maybe? To get a value (though I don't know why you would in this case), use: =DLookup("Fieldname", "Tablename", "Criteria") If...

Custom control with a scrollbar and converting dialog box units to pixels in a CWnd derived class
Hello, Lets first state the problem I need to solve: Our application has a protocol debug view, which graphically displays the last round of some UHF reader commands done in a device attached via a serial port (some UHF reader). This display consists of several rows (one per time slot) and each row has severl columns (for the various actions done in this time slot). Depending on what happened the column fields in each row get different colors and text. Originally this was done by placine a lot of static labels on the dialod and just changing their text and foreground/background ...

Using Logical OR on text in Conditional Formatting
I have a column with various text entries. I have created a conditional formatting rule for each type of entry but the formatting can be grouped together, so I would like a Conditional Formatting rule that says: If string contains "foo" or "bar" then colour red If string does not contain "yibble" or "wibble" then make bold etc. Any idea how I can do this rather thasn having to manage over 30 rules with each one looking for a single text entry type. Thanks Darius Try a formula of =OR(A2="foo",A2="bar") =AND(A2<>"y...