Suggestions for exponents?

Hi -

I have a field that holds the "units" of a measurement as a string. It can
be something like "kg" for kilograms or "m^2" for meters-squared. The folks I
am working with keep asking if there is a way to display the latter with a
superscript, as in m2 (with the "2") being a smaller font and higher. I know
of no way to do this short of using two string fields on a form, and managing
that seems kind of daunting.

Has anyone dealt with this before and have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Phil Freihofner

A text box is just that!

What is the purpose?

--
www.ae911truth.org

"Phil F" wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have a field that holds the "units" of a measurement as a string. It can
> be something like "kg" for kilograms or "m^2" for meters-squared. The folks I
> am working with keep asking if there is a way to display the latter with a
> superscript, as in m2 (with the "2") being a smaller font and higher. I know
> of no way to do this short of using two string fields on a form, and managing
> that seems kind of daunting.
>
> Has anyone dealt with this before and have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Phil Freihofner
See whether holding down the Alt key and keying 0178 on the number pad
works: that's how I just did m�. (note that it can depend on what font
you're using)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Phil F" <PhilF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I have a field that holds the "units" of a measurement as a string. It can
> be something like "kg" for kilograms or "m^2" for meters-squared. The
> folks I
> am working with keep asking if there is a way to display the latter with a
> superscript, as in m2 (with the "2") being a smaller font and higher. I
> know
> of no way to do this short of using two string fields on a form, and
> managing
> that seems kind of daunting.
>
> Has anyone dealt with this before and have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Phil Freihofner

0
Douglas
7/31/2007 12:17:51 PM
Ignore my first response. Douglas is correct.

Just to add something further you may be able to press a button in the form
that will add the superscript automatically. Worth a think instead of doing
ALT+0178 every time!

"Phil F" wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have a field that holds the "units" of a measurement as a string. It can
> be something like "kg" for kilograms or "m^2" for meters-squared. The folks I
> am working with keep asking if there is a way to display the latter with a
> superscript, as in m2 (with the "2") being a smaller font and higher. I know
> of no way to do this short of using two string fields on a form, and managing
> that seems kind of daunting.
>
> Has anyone dealt with this before and have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Phil Freihofner
Thank you!

For some reason I overlooked where you wrote "number pad" and was dismayed
at first when the numbers above the letters did not work. So I thought I
would just add that for anyone else who happens to do a search here for
"exponents" or "superscripts".

I've since discovered my users are also using exponents such as m^6 and m^8.
Tt seems it will take a bit more work to uncover those control sequences. The
Access version here on site doesn't have help installed, or I would also add
that reference to this note.

- Phil Freihofner

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> See whether holding down the Alt key and keying 0178 on the number pad
> works: that's how I just did m². (note that it can depend on what font
> you're using)
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Phil F" <PhilF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi -
> >
> > I have a field that holds the "units" of a measurement as a string. It can
> > be something like "kg" for kilograms or "m^2" for meters-squared. The
> > folks I
> > am working with keep asking if there is a way to display the latter with a
> > superscript, as in m2 (with the "2") being a smaller font and higher. I
> > know
> > of no way to do this short of using two string fields on a form, and
> > managing
> > that seems kind of daunting.
> >
> > Has anyone dealt with this before and have any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Phil Freihofner

Unfortunately, the "number pad" approach is limited to � and �.

There's really no simple solution to what you want. You could use an RTF
control, but you'd have to create an interface that allows your users to
create the text correctly.

--

> Thank you!
>
> For some reason I overlooked where you wrote "number pad" and was dismayed
> at first when the numbers above the letters did not work. So I thought I
> would just add that for anyone else who happens to do a search here for
> "exponents" or "superscripts".
>
> I've since discovered my users are also using exponents such as m^6 and
> m^8.
> Tt seems it will take a bit more work to uncover those control sequences.
> The
> Access version here on site doesn't have help installed, or I would also
> add
> that reference to this note.
>
> - Phil Freihofner
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" wrote:
>
>> See whether holding down the Alt key and keying 0178 on the number pad
>> works: that's how I just did m�. (note that it can depend on what font
>> you're using)
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no e-mails, please!)
>>

>> "Phil F" <PhilF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi -
>> >
>> > I have a field that holds the "units" of a measurement as a string. It
>> > can
>> > be something like "kg" for kilograms or "m^2" for meters-squared. The
>> > folks I
>> > am working with keep asking if there is a way to display the latter
>> > with a
>> > superscript, as in m2 (with the "2") being a smaller font and higher. I
>> > know
>> > of no way to do this short of using two string fields on a form, and
>> > managing
>> > that seems kind of daunting.
>> >
>> > Has anyone dealt with this before and have any suggestions?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > Phil Freihofner

0
Douglas

Formula help or suggestions??
I need to sum all amounts by month posted (ex:April 2010 and May 2010 separately). My columns look like this: Col A ColB Date Amt 4/13/10 $100.00 4/14/10 $ 50.00 5/2/10 $200.00 5/5/10 $8.00 Would love any help anyone can provide! Thanks for the time!! -- crazidazi3 =sumproduct((month(a2:a22)=4)*b2:b22) =sumproduct((month(a2:a22)=5)*b2:b22) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "crazidazi3" <crazidazi3@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Suggestion: Hide selections in Excel
The new explorer bar in windows XP explorer window is a good idea. it allows a list of commonly used functions grouped by type, and hidable under it's group name. Excel could make use of a feature like this, wherein many columns or rows could be grouped together as a single group, and with one click be "hidden", that is the rows or columns after those selected would collapse to take their place, thus hiding data. I commonly use Excel to do lengthy data transformations, and often I wish to compare the final results to the raw data at the top of the spreadsheet. Freeze p...

Hiring in the Bay Area...any suggestions?
Hi, I'm an internal Recruiter at Shutterfly, a direct to consumer online photo and personal publishing service in Redwood City, CA. We are trying to hire an IT Manager and a Sr. ERP Administrator. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to advertise for admin that specialize in Great Plains? Or do you happen to know of anyone who's looking? If so, please feel free to share my contact information. :) Descriptions can be reviewed at: IT Manager: http://www.shutterfly.com/about/emp_sub_0703081243.jsp Sr. ERP Administrator: http://www.shutterfly.com/about/emp_sub_0703081236....

HR Attendance Transaction & Void efficiency suggestions
Suggestion #1: Balance Adjustment types of HR Attendance Transactions should not be editable after saving... they should go to the same place that posted or "history" transactions go so the only transactions available on lookup would be current, unposted, editable transactions. Suggestion #2: When a payroll check that included attendance transactions is voided, create offsetting balance adjustment attendance transactions automatically. (And then refer to Suggestion #1 again... these transactions should not be editable.) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsof...

Order Point MRP Suggestions
I am running GP 10.0 with Manufacturing module. Recently our Planner has noticed that she has not been getting any order point MRP suggestions. I looked into it and it appears that there are some OP suggestions but they are only when the material gets down to a 0.00 quantity, almost as if it sees that it's an Order Point item but doesn't send out the MRP suggestions when it get to that order point but rather when it gets to 0.00 available. Is there a setting for this that I am missing? I don't recall having to set anything up for order point other than to just enter a qu...

Excel2002: Data > Sort ruins links! Any suggestions?
Hi Problem: if I do a sort on one page (ie worksheet) then all the other pages taking info from that page will now point to the wrong cells! This problem happens both if I use ordinary addressees and also if I use defined "names" instead! Any suggestions? Ship Think you'll need to use for e.g. VLOOKUP's or OFFSET(..MATCH()...) in the dependent sheets rather than just simple links to cells in the "master" sheet This arrangement will work if you have a key column that is shared between the dependent sheets and the "master" sheet with no duplicates i...

Suggestions requested for vacation planning Excel spreadsheet
I have a cell in a spreadsheet that contains a number of vacation days. I would these vacation days to turn to zero in the same cell after June 30th. I'm VB illiterate...is there an IF, THEN formula (or any other) that would work for this? =if(today()>DateValue("Jun 30, 2005"),0,current formula) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "echo144000" <keckhardt@atsautomation.com> wrote in message news:2c9aa5b1.0412140623.22ac9a7f@posting.google.com... > I have a cell in a spreadsheet that contains a number of vacation > days. I would these vacation days to turn to zero i...

Manufacturing Suggestions
My suggestions are for these two transaction types inside Manufacturing: Manufacturing Component Transaction Entry Manufacturing Order Receipt Entry For the MCTE my suggestion is to allow for a non-consecutive list of MO's be pulled without requiring each MO (or range) to be added to the Pick Doc. seperately. For the MORE I suggest that the receipt of multiple MOs on one receipt be enabled. Thanks! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" butto...

Any suggestions as to the code for making automated file names?
I am working on an app that scrubs a hard drive but I can't remember how to setup the code for automated file names. Can you help me with this? Can you be more specific than "automated file names?" -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com "avatar70" <jspalding@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1168016485.127859.297340@s80g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am working on an app that scrubs a hard drive but I can't remember > how to setup the code for automated file names. Can you help me with > this? > Thanks for ...

Outlook 2000 Suggest names while completing To, Cc...
A few weeks ago, Outlook lost all of my email addresses and no longer suggests emails as I type the first few letters. Now, it will remember an email and offer it as a suggestion until I turn the computer off and reboot - then all is lost again. Any one encounter this problem? In advanced email options, I have all the boxes checked. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Either rename the *NK2 file this profile uses or create a new profile. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Jim" <jamesvon@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f2c901c43db3$deed7200$a101280a@phx.gbl... > A few w...

Printing is slow: Any suggestions
I am printing from excel to a network printer. I have the printer set to spool print jobs directly to printer and have also selected the option to Start Printing Immediately. I am printing to a HP Deskjet 1627 which has its own internal nic connect to a PDC on NT Server 4.0. I print a 10 page doc and it takes minuites to print. No sure why. The Excel Application will sometimes become non responsive if the job is 25 pages or larger. Not sure how to speed things up a little. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, bob bob, The solution that is most often recommended is to...

Suggest Name Now Not Working
All of a sudden the suggest name option no longer works in Outlook 2003. Any way to repair this or fix it? If not and I have to create a new profile, what's the best way to do it and keep all my customizations, email accounts, etc. intact? Thanks! Try shutting down Outlook and renaming the .nk2 file associated with your profile. Outlook should start building a new one for you when you send more messages. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.as...

Reposting here for expert advice! (Suggested by Peter Foldes)
An elderly friend of mine now living permanently in Australia has just bought a new computer to replace his XP machine. It has the Windows Vista OS installed (an upgrade to 7 is available FOC) He is now using --> X-Mailer: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000 He tells me .... "All your emails are coming through as "Malevolent and Phishing" and go to my junk mail box"! ** I'm certainly not Phishing - nor am I malevolent! ;) I am, though, using an iMac with OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) and Apple Mail Version 4.2 Is there a setting in Vista wh...

suggest names (outlook 2002)
in the autocomplete function, is there a way to access the database? I've got old addresses in there that I used once a year ago causing a drop-down list when I've only got one matching entry in my address book... so what I'd like to do is either clear it out completely or at least delete the obsolete entries, I've looked in the registry and it isn't there... any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! --John Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to...

ANY SUGGESTION PLS....??
I have project..in which i have to add all the Api function and access the data from server and store in my database... Steps i have followed till now r: NEW->PROJECT->MFC AppWizard (exe)->Dialog based In dialog based application :NEXT PROJECT->ADD TO PROJECT->COMPONENTS AND CONTROLS->GALLARY->REGISTERED ACTIVE-X COMPONENTS->ARIEL API CONTROLS->THEN IN DIALOG BOX I GOT THE INFORMATION ABOUT 1=2E CLASS NAME AAPI 2=2E BASE CALSS CWND 3=2EHEADER FILE AAPI.H 4=2EIMPIMENTATION FILE AAPI.CPP IN .CPP FILE ALL THE FUNCTIONS EXAMPLE: CString CArielAPI::GetServerAddress(...

Underline? Bottom border? or any suggestions?
Hello! We have a form that we use quite often and I am attempting to put it on Excel so that someone can just tab through it and type in their responses. This is a type of service report and there is a large section for the technician to describe the work they performed on a specific day. This section should allow the text that is typed in to be "underlined". Is there a way to set this up so that the tech is able to type one complete paragraph (instead of typing line by line), have the text print "underlined" AND if the amount of text typed in does not f...

New storage
Hi, We have installed a new shelf where we will be relocating our mailbox stores to (multiple SGs with multiple stores in each). We have two options to move: 1. Straight move the databases via the ESM 2. Create a new mailbox store on the new volume, then use the move mailbox wizard to move mailboxes to new mailbox store, once all mailboxes moved from source we delete the source store. I would like to use option 2, this would minimise the downtime that users will experience, are there any disadvantages associated with this option? Thanks Matthew Hi, Either is fine really. 2. Is a b...

Control suggestion
Hello, using Outlook I seen that is possible to group messages (eg. for sender) and the view show a row for each different sender name with a button on the left side that explode a list of all messages, I need to do the same... someone know if this control used in Outlook is an ActiveX or a special style of CTreeCtrl or CListCtrl? Thanks, Gaetano You can inspect window class ans styles with Spy++. Maybe, this can give you some clue about the control used in outlook. Regards, Rodrigo Corral Gonz�lez ...

Data Migration Issue.... Please suggest
Hi, I am required to transfer data from Sql Server 2005 which is in different network and domain, its site runs on internet, To Microsoft CRM 3.0. Please Suggest me as how to achieve this. Thanks in advance Misha ...

Need recommendation for a high-speed barcode label printer suggestion
Currently we mainly use Zebra 2824 printers and they work great with RMS. We now have the need for a higher speed printer (2824 not cutting for the volume) - one that is a single label feed (1.25 x 1 is fine) AND the ability to autocut between each sku that's sent to the printer from RMS (this may not be possible with RMS...I do not know...part of what I'm trying to find out). Any suggestions or someone out there doing something similar? Thanks! Chris ...

looking for any suggested item number practices
We're in the process of setting up item number naming conventions and we are looking for any suggestions. The best scheme in the world, and the one that never fails, is to number the first item 100001, the second 100002, and keep going. Items should be entered with well formated Descriptions, Generic and Short Names for searches. In other words, if you sell hardware, use Generic Descriptions like Bolts, Nuts, Washers, Nails and all of those parts can be found by looking for the Generic Description. In the Description, make sure that all bolts are described the same, LxWxT, etc ...

Attn: Microsoft
I'd like the ability to place an object directly into a cell, not merely hover above it. HTML can insert graphics into cells, why can't Excel? I'd also like to place an entire sheet into a single cell. Send them an email mswish@microsoft.com -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Robert Kent" <robertkent@yahooie.coma> wrote in message news:OOOh%23K7jEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > I'd like the ability to place an object directly into a cell, not merely > ho...

voting for product suggestions
I recommend everyone get on the internet version of the newsgroup, filter the group by suggestions and go through the list voting for the suggestions you would like to see implemented. I was just there and the amount of votes for even really good suggestions is pitiful. We have no one to blame but ourselves if none of our suggestions get implemented since only the ones with a lot of votes have a chance of working their way into product development. Lets start making ourselves be heard! Craig ...

Smartlist Builder Troubleshooting Suggestions
I've created a view that shows vendor purchases and I used a "union all" to select the specific companies I want included in the view. The view is in the dynamics database. I've configured the Smartlist Builder security to enable the view to be selected, as well as the underlying tables. I've also granted the necessary GP security so the users can see the Smartlist Builder. If the SA account runs the Smartlist they get the proper results. If the user runs the same Smartlist, they get 0 results and I cannot figure out why. Any suggestions on how to determi...

Is there anyway to remove a "suggested name" short of actually turning this feature off? Our CEO's PA has returned from leave but her home email address keeps popping up as an option. Ta Ian When Outlook suggests the name, highlight it with the arrow keys and then press the delete key. "Ian Kynaston" <IKynaston@nospam.propertyoz.com.au> wrote in message news:554f01c4743a$a34b6910$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there anyway to remove a "suggested name" short of > actually turning this feature off? > > Our CEO's PA has returned from leave b...