Set value in a query when opening a form

I have in a database an append query which has a Yes/No field Append. The
query appends only those records where the Append field value is set to No
(0). In the OnOpen event of a form, I want to first run the append query to
add any new records, then set the value of the Append field to Yes (-1),
then finish opening or loading the form. How can I do this programmaticaly?

Ivor

0
Ivor

Ivor:

You can do this using DAO.

In the VBA editor, open the Tools menu, select References, and, in the
References dialog, select Microsoft DAO 3.6. Close the References dialog.

In the database window, create a new Update query to update the Append field
to True (ie put True in the "Update To" Row) if the Append field is False
(ie put False in the "Criteria" Row).

You can now execute the Append and Update queries in the Form's Open event.

Here is some sample code for doing this, which assumes the Append query is
named "qryAppend" and the Update query is named "qryUpdate":

    Const QRY_APPEND As String = "qryAppend"
    Const QRY_UPDATE As String = "qryUpdate"

    Dim objDB As DAO.Database
    Dim objQDF As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim lngRecsAppended As Long

    '   Instantiate Database object:
    Set objDB = CurrentDb()

    '   Point to the APPEND query:
    Set objQDF = objDB.QueryDefs(QRY_APPEND)

    '   Execute the APPEND query:
    objQDF.Execute

    '   See if the query appended any records:
    lngRecsAppended = objQDF.RecordsAffected

    '   If no records were appended, finish:
    If lngRecsAppended = 0 Then GoTo Finish

    '   Poitn to the UPDATE query:
    Set objQDF = objDB.QueryDefs(QRY_UPDATE)

    '   Execute the query:
    objQDF.Execute

    '   Update this form's recordset:
    Me.Requery

Finish:

    '   Optional: Show message to user:
    MsgBox "Records Appended = " & CStr(lngRecsAppended) _
        & vbNewLine & vbNewLine _
        & "The above number of records were appended " _
        & "to the target table and updated in the source " _
        & "table.", vbOKOnly + vbInformation, _
        "Information"

    Set objQDF = Nothing
    Set objDB = Nothing

End Sub

Incidentally, on a small point, it would seem natural to rename the field
"Appended".

Regards
Geoff

"Ivor Williams" <ivorwilliams@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I have in a database an append query which has a Yes/No field Append. The
>query appends only those records where the Append field value is set to No
>(0). In the OnOpen event of a form, I want to first run the append query to
>add any new records, then set the value of the Append field to Yes (-1),
>then finish opening or loading the form. How can I do this programmaticaly?
>
> Ivor

0
GeoffG

setting up new outlook mail account

Query Exceeds the limit of data for a single record
I have designed a database for tracking results from surveys filled out by participants attending various workshops. I am running into problems with a query that sums, counts, and groups together each question on the survey. The field data type for the question is "text". I have a total of 15 questions on the survey. When I run the query, I receive an error message stating that the form or report is based on a query in which it exceeds the limit of data for a single record. My table field properties are set at 255 characters. Some of my questions may be larger than 255. How mi...

one label all forms
I want to put a label on all my forms that says YOU ARE IN ARCHIVE. Can I do this without placing a label on each form? Thanks. You could set the form's Caption to that. That would mean that it would appear in the bar at the top of the form. However, you'd have to set it, so I don't know whether that'll save you anything. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "seeker" <seeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4FC21F1-32F8-4A6E-A33B-EC9B18F9617D@microsoft.com... >I want...

Javascript Error opening threads
In Windows XP General Discussions, when I click on a thread to expand it, it says 'loading' but there is a 'javascript 0' error message on the left side of the status bar. When I attempt to refresh the page, it says 'service temporarily unavailable.' Anyone else have this issue? What's the fix? The issue is that the newsserver for the web-interface is horked /again/. The fix is to access this and other MS newsgroups in your newsreader (e.g., Outlook Express). Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups http://www.michaelstevenstec...

Linked form can't be edited
I have a large table with contact details and also additional details which only relates to about a third of my clients. If I include all the fields in my main input form(1) it becomes very cluttered so I have created another form(2) for just the additional information and select it with a button from form(1). Form(2) is filtered according to the client in form(1). However even though I have enabled editing in the properties box, I am unable to edit the form(2) fields. Without the filter it works fine, but I have to find the client manually to add the additional information. What...

OWA Set Rule problem

How to set backcolour

How can I open outlook in a different inbox, i.e.hotmail ?
I am using Microsoft Outlook 2002 i Windows XP and opens in its own inbox. Is it possible to set it to open in the Hotmail inbox where my mail is found? ...

Formating text of x-axix value
I make a chart with x-axix values from let's say 1E-9 to 1E-3, using logaritmic scale. So far so good. But my need is not to display the values in the chart like 1E-9, 1E-8, etc. but like 10-9, where the -9 text will be formated as upper index. Thx for any help or suggestion. see http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Exponents_in_Cells_and_Charts.htm best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Karel" <Karel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA5042AE-A412-4CB3-B823-89741DAF8FFD@microsoft.com... >I mak...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

Obtaining the correct results from a two table query
I have two tables say A and B, what I am trying to achieve with the query is just to display records that have the received field ticked in table A and the colour field in table B not containing �Y�. How do I modify the code below to achieve this? SELECT A_Date, A.Received, A.ID, B. Colour FROM A LEFT JOIN B ON DDP_A.Main = B.Main WHERE (((A.Received)= -1) AND ((B.Colour <> �Y�)); jo@jo.uk wrote: >I have two tables say A and B, what I am trying to achieve with the query is >just to display records that have the received field ticked in table A and >the colo...

Reading Pane Settings

synchronize sub forms-part 2
Don't see my earlier post... here I go again! Scenario: Main form (1)- frm1 based on tbl01 User enters 3 parameters to filter by p1,p2,p3 Subforms (6)- fsub1-fsub6 (each with its own tab) also based on tbl01 ALL subforms are Linked to frm1 through 2 fields (p2,p3) When the 3 parameters are chosen fsub1 will list the basic info associated with them. fsub2-fsub6 will list more specific info. With the following additions suggested by Robert Carlson: fsub1 On current Event: Forms![frm1]![fsub2].Requery fsub2 On Current Event: If IsNull(Forms![frm1]![fsub1].Form!ID) = False Then ...

Propagate Lead Form Changes
I added some new values for Lead Source in the Lead form yesterday. My IT manager who's unavailable and normally does this sort of thing told me that many changes like this just "take a while" to propagate out system wide. How long does it take, or do I need to do something to publish my changes? I can see that they're saved because if I go back to edit the values for that field, they're all in there. Thanks Nathan, You need to publish the changes from the deployment manager. Usually you need to restart IIS (just Start - Run - iisreset will do the trick). T...

Need to sum values that are not strikethroughs
I need to sum a column without it adding the rows that have strikethroughs values; is it possible to combine a formula and vb code to a cell ? =SUM(BH100:BH120) & Activecell.selection.font.strikethrough = false Thank you Khf Try: Function zum(r As Range) As Double Dim rr As Range For Each rr In r If rr.Font.Strikethrough = False Then zum = zum + rr.Value End If Next End Function In the worksheet use it like: =zum(A1:A10) -- Gary''s Student "Rock" wrote: > I need to sum a column without it adding the rows that have strikethroughs > values; i...

Metrics should include both Open and Closed Year information
For example Total Receivables for Past 12 Months will show nothing for months that have been closed during the GL Year End Close process...This tool doesn't do much good if you can't see the prior year information after the Year End Close process. when I want to see Total Receivables for the Past 12 Months...after the year end close, the Past 12 Months is no longer valid, cause the metric will only show for the months that are in the GL20000 and are in an open year. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the mos...

interactive buttons, multiple sets

How do I set OOR

Opening to a default tab?
Hello, Is there a way to get a workbook to default to a certain tab when opening the file? I noticed that it opens to whatever page was open when last saved but I want it to always open to the first sheet regardless. Any ideas? Thank you in advance, Joe Use the Workbook_open event in ThisWorkbook module or an auto_open macro in a regular module sub auto_open() sheets("mysheet").select end sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Joe" <Joe@home.com> wrote in message news:eZpp9EUKEHA.1312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is there a wa...

Set Focus