Record Locking Multiuser

I have created a multiuser database. In order to prevent more than one user
editing the same record I have set the record locks to "edited record"
This seems to create a lot of unwanted record locking issues for the users:
Some records get locked and the only way to unlock them seems to be closing
and reopening the database.
I have thought about putting some unlock buttons on the forms but it would
not work because I have another automated way to lock the records: when the
record is complete a supervisor enters his/her name on the form and this
action locks the record to all users (I do not want to allow any changes to
the records after the supervisor review).
In order to try to get around the record locking issue I create a Record
selector form which lists all open recent records and allows user to pick the
record they want to edit so they go directly to the record without having to
search through the records. However this did not solve my locking issues.
I would like to add one more step: adding the form status (locked or
available) to the Record selector form and prevent record opening if the
record is being edited. How would I be able to do this?
Is this the right way to handle this issue?
Thanks in advance for any response.

Jeff

Have you thought about setting the forms to "Data Entry" mode this should
prevent anyone from having the record lock problems. At least that is what
fixed those issues for me on my DB.

Now if I understand correctly you have one user that enters data on the
front end and then a supervisor comes back on the backend and enters data
into the same form?

If thats the case setting it to Data Entry mode will prevent the supervisor
from going back to previous entries. An end run around that is pretty simple
just seperate the front end data entry and the back end data entry on to two
different forms. One for the front end user and one for the supervisor.

Might be a different direction than what you initialy thought but I hope
that helps.

"Jeff via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> I have created a multiuser database. In order to prevent more than one user
> editing the same record I have set the record locks to "edited record"
> This seems to create a lot of unwanted record locking issues for the users:
> Some records get locked and the only way to unlock them seems to be closing
> and reopening the database.
> I have thought about putting some unlock buttons on the forms but it would
> not work because I have another automated way to lock the records: when the
> record is complete a supervisor enters his/her name on the form and this
> action locks the record to all users (I do not want to allow any changes to
> the records after the supervisor review).
> In order to try to get around the record locking issue I create a Record
> selector form which lists all open recent records and allows user to pick the
> record they want to edit so they go directly to the record without having to
> search through the records. However this did not solve my locking issues.
> I would like to add one more step: adding the form status (locked or
> available) to the Record selector form and prevent record opening if the
> record is being edited. How would I be able to do this?
> Is this the right way to handle this issue?
> Thanks in advance for any response.

> .

How do I add a record counter to my form
I would like to add my own record counter, like "Record # of #", to my form. How can I do this? Private Sub Form_Load() DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNext DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acFirst End Sub Private Sub Form_Current() Me.Caption = "Record " & CurrentRecord & " Of " & RecordsetClone.RecordCount & " Records" End Sub This code places the info in the form's title area. To place it in a Label, substitute Me.LableName.Caption for Me.Caption. To place it in a TextBox, substitute Me.TextBoxName.Va...

Record recording
I need help in creating an automatic record form a file to an individual record. Example: You would make a work order for three different employees the first employees work order enter name, date, location, time, cost, and then this information would automatically be recorded to a permanent work sheet record specific to that employee. I have tried to manipulate VLOOKUP for this but to no avail. Any clue or help would be greatly appreciated. -- cdixon ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cdixon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=ge...

Help with sql which counts records
Could someone help me to extend this sql to include: 1. a count of txtsole where the field is a YES/NO field and I want a count of where the answer is YES 2. a count of txtmulti where the field is a YES/NO field and I want a count of where the answer is YES 3. a count of txtsole where the field is a YES/NO field and I want a count of where the answer is YES 4. a count of txtnbrparts where the field is a number field and I want a count of where the answer greater than 1 I think I need to extend the WHERE statement? SELECT tblhvdealspt1.txtablhybrid, Count(*) AS totals, tblhvdealspt...

Message -- Worksheet xls. is locked for editing. What is this?
I cannot view or change the data in my worksheet because I am getting this message. Why, and how do I unlock it? Thanks for your help. gman gman Has someone else got the file open? If not........... Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open. Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still open and locked for editing. You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot, clear out your Windows\Temp folder. If using WinXP ...

Selecting specific records
Is it possible to create a form with a "select" field (yes/no box), to select several items (say employees) and then output this information to a report with only the fields selected? -- Lori A. Pong How about multi-select list box? HTH -- -Larry- -- "Lori" <lpong@sternconstruction.com> wrote in message news:CAE5922D-92E5-4A01-83B2-6484024725C5@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to create a form with a "select" field (yes/no box), to select > several items (say employees) and then output this information to a report > with only the fields sele...

Multiple records in table to display single records
My table has 3 columns, A is account numbers, B is first name, C is last name. If an account has 2 owners, the account number is listed twice in C1, like this: A B C 123 Hank Jones 123 Ann Jones 231 Mike Smith 321 Jim John I want to query this table to display the names side by side if there is more than one owner, so that my data appears like this: A B C D E 123 Hal Jones Ann Jones 231 Tim Smith 321 Jim John Help please! Sorry, got the names mixed up! "Hurrikane4" wrote: > My table has 3 columns, A is account numb...

How do I trigger an event on opening a record
I have an Access 2003 form where I would like to take an action (e.g. via an event procedure or macro) whwnever the user opens a record for editing (e.g. via the arrowed record selector buttons). Effectively what I want is something like an On Enter or On Open control but relating to a whole record. It seems that such a control is only available for (e.g.) a text box, which relates to a single field in a record. I thought there would be something in the Detail section of the form as I thought that section related to whole records (?) but there isn't such a control there. Any idea...

Object Source / Record Source
Hello I have created a database regarding the School System. I have created three forms (one form and two subforms) one main form is (Students) where i enter student's name, father's name, phone, address etc. now on the main Student form i want to place a subform. But the thing i want to know is: I want to make two buttons on my main form (Fees) and (Progress).. because i have two subforms (sbffees and sbfprogress) now the record source of subformbox should be controled with these two buttons. when i click the ( Fee) button the Source Object should be (sbf-fee) and when i c...

Outlook client 'View in CRM' does not open the record
My 'View in CRM' button is not opening the CRM record. Pop-up blocker is turned off. Any other ideas? Thank you very much! Suzy ...

Record Count 10-02-07
Experts, I'm trying to dynamically stored the record count from a subform into a field on my form. Now I have to look at the record count on the subform and manually entered the count into a field on form. There must be a better way. Please help! In the Control Source property of a text box on the main form: =[SubFormControlName].[Form].[recordset].[RecordCount] Where SubFormControlName is the name of the subform control, Not the name of the form that is the Source Object of the subform control. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Shiller" wrote: > Experts, >...

MCI recording silence, but Sound Recorder records OK.
Hello everybody, This code using MCI is working fine in many PCs, but one (in which only a long silence is recorded): // // OPEN // sMsg.Format("open new type waveaudio alias %s", m_sWavName); mciError = mciSendString(sMsg, lpszReturnString, 256, NULL); (...) sMsg.Format("status %s mode wait", m_sWavName); mciError = mciSendString(sMsg, lpszReturnString, 256, NULL); (...) sMsg.Format("set %s format tag PCM", m_sWavName); mciError = mciSendString(sMsg, lpszReturnString, 256, NULL); (...) sMsg.Format("set %s channels 1", m_sWavName); mciE...

Control the number of records shown in a report/subreport.
I've posted this question before and when I follow the advice, I keep getting a circular reference error. So I'm hoping that if I post some more info, I may get insight as to what is going wrong. I have a report (BartS1report) it uses a query (BartS1Report). This report as a subreport (BartS1Sub2) that uses the query (BartS1). The report lists the customer name, address, and systems serviced. The subreport lists the systems serviced. The reports are connected through the Master/Child links Customer ID and the ServiceAddress. When there are more than 20 systems per ...

What determines the order in which records are viewed
Hi all What determines the order in which records are viewed in a table If I import data or create a new table from a query regards, Garry ...

New Record
I have a form/subform. I have an event that opens a popup. I select from a list on the popup that copies the value onto a txtbox on the Main form and the popup then automatically closes. In the same code I place the focus in the subform to begin adding data to a new record. The problem I 'm having is that when the focus is set in the sub, there are two lines. The top line, which is the one I'm entering data in, does not automatically put the autonumber in for the ID that links the tables, but the record below it does, which is one that I'm not using. When I fill in the...

Database Deleting Record Problem
Just launched a new database. Using an Autonumber field to generate document numbers (sequence is not important - just need a unique identifier). There are a number of fields that are required fields based on an option group selection. Problem; If all required fields (they are required fields programmatically) are not completed and you attempt to exit the form, a message box appears asking " Do you want to save changes". If you say "Yes" the form closes, does not save, and the record is deleted - but users are not aware of this deletion - and they think the recor...

Recording last modification of records
I have found out how to record the date and time of the last modification to a record, which is great. Can I also record the user that made the changes? If so,how? Something like this can give you the network login name. http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "splitz" wrote: > I have found out how to record the date and time of the last modification to > a record, which is great. Can I also record the user that made the changes? > If so,how? ...

SBS2008 - Activesync
Just put a whole bunch of users onto SBS2008 today and configured their mobiles. They really *hate* that their mobile handsets are locking after a short period of inactivity. Is it down to this policy setting ? Activesync - Maximum inactivity time lock 15mins They either want this lengthening considerably or want it disabling altogether. They want to choose when they want to lock their phones. What's the score regards this ? They want it to work the same as it did on their old SBS2003 server. Jim wrote: > Just put a whole bunch of users onto SBS2008 toda...

Report Not Showing All Records
Dear All, I Have a Report that Shows all the records in a Table, at the moment the table hold 200 Records. but the report which is related to the table, is only displaying 32 pages, with the one record on the last page. the report is only showing 160 Records, What would cause the report to exclude the other 40 Records? Theres no filters set or anything. Any one got any suggestions? Regards Dan ...

me too, problem with import... only 15 records
me too, problem with import... only 15 records.... also in one of my customers crm i need a fast answer.... I dont see a question to answer...? JUAN MARKETING wrote: > me too, problem with import... only 15 records.... also in one of my > customers crm > > i need a fast answer.... Hehe yeah, what is the question!? what are you trying to import? Sorry, I don't know the reason, bu each time i try to import x number of accounts or contacts, MSCRM only import 15 records... Promise, everything is ok... columns, format csv from excel, size, records.... I say that, becau...

Button to go to a specific record in a form
Hello, I have two forms. I need to use a command button to go to a second form's specific record. a. In the wizard, when it is time to chose the fields to match, there is nothing in the left side of the screen. b. How do I do this in code. Thnaks for all of your help. Joe In the Click event of the command button, use the primary key field of the record you want to open in the second form in the OpenForm Where argument. This is a good example in VBA Help. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Joe C" wrote: > Hello, > > I have two forms. I need to use a c...

Advice on multiuser setup, using IMAP folders
Okay, here's the CURRENT setup: We have a website hosted by a company. We have 7 users who have email accounts. We have 5 local PC's arranged in a simple file-sharing network (one PC hosts the shared-out documents folder that everyone uses, but that PC is also a workstation, and it's your basic home network with simple file sharing used, no user or group accounts set up, no logins for workstations, etc.). All accounts are hosted on the server as well. Each user uses a browser-based interface to log into webmail on the server (ie they go to the web address for login, and...

Accessing current record
What is the syntax for referring to the underlying record that a form is currently displaying? In other words, I would like to make a change to an attribute of a record that is being displayed when a user clicks a button. I believe the best way to do this is through modifying the VB code that underlies the onClick event, but I can't figure out how to reference the record that is being displayed in the current (or active) record. In this case, we're dealing with a boolean value (I realize that I could simply have the checkbox in the form, have the user check or uncheck the box, then s...

Records in a Custom Entity
Does anyone know if you are able to assign records within a new custom entity to a queue in CRM (V3.0) ?? I think that I can only assign the records to a user or myself...... Thanks, Ryan ...

What is the last event when moving from record to record?
What is the last event that fires when moving off of a record. It needs to give me access to the values of the controls in the record I am moving off of. Thanks. =?Utf-8?B?bXNjZXJ0aWZpZWQ=?= <rupert@tigerlily.com> wrote in news:1358FD7D-6CA4-42FC-8A2F-A83B85876300@microsoft.com: > What is the last event that fires when moving off of a record. It > needs to give me access to the values of the controls in the > record I am moving off of. Thanks. > There isn't ONE. If you move off a record that has not been edited, only viewed, then it's the OnCurrent event. If yo...

Multiple Records Into A Single Record...
I have about 800 records that look like this: id diag 0001 11.0 0001 4.56 0003 10.5 0003 41.7 0003 52.5 I want it to look like this: id diag1 diag2 diag3 0001 11.0 4.56 0003 10.5 41.7 52. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried using a pivot table? "aljordan >" wrote: > I have about 800 records that look like this: > > id diag > 0001 11.0 > 0001 4.56 > 0003 10.5 > 0003 41.7 > 0003 52.5 > > > I want it to look like this: > > id dia...