read only form allows date to change

I have a form that I open in read only that has a calendar popup for the date
fields.  When I open the form the calendar pop up allows the date to be
changed.  The rest of the fields are read only.  Any suggestions.  Thanks

Private Sub ViewActivityNote_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_ViewActivityNote_Click

    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

    stDocName = "FRM - Activity Note"

    stLinkCriteria = "[activitynoteid]=" & Me![activitynoteid]
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, acFormReadOnly

Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_ViewActivityNote_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click

End Sub

__________________________________
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Public Today As Control, ctldate As Control

Function PopCalendar()
On Error GoTo PopCalendar_Err

        Set ctldate = Screen.ActiveControl
        DoCmd.OpenForm "FRM - Calendar"

PopCalendar_Exit:
        Exit Function

PopCalendar_Err:
        MsgBox "Error:" + Error$
        Resume PopCalendar_Exit

End Function

Perhaps you could refuse to open the calendar (or refuse to write the date
back), if the form is read-only or the control is not visible/enabled.

Testing the Visible/Enabled properties of Screen.ActiveControl is easy
enough.

What's more challenging is determining the form that the control is on
(particularly if it is in an option group, on a tab control, in a subform,
etc.) Then you still have to test for all the factors that could make that
form read-only, e.g. AllowEdits (but AllowAdditions if at NewRecord),
RecordsetType, whether the source query is read-only (and in some cases,
some fields in a query are while others are not), user's permissions
(security), read-only status of database, etc.

"sue gray" <suegray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a form that I open in read only that has a calendar popup for the
>date
> fields.  When I open the form the calendar pop up allows the date to be
> changed.  The rest of the fields are read only.  Any suggestions.  Thanks
>
> Private Sub ViewActivityNote_Click()
> On Error GoTo Err_ViewActivityNote_Click
>
>    Dim stDocName As String
>    Dim stLinkCriteria As String
>
>    stDocName = "FRM - Activity Note"
>
>    stLinkCriteria = "[activitynoteid]=" & Me![activitynoteid]
>    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, acFormReadOnly
>
> Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click:
>    Exit Sub
>
> Err_ViewActivityNote_Click:
>    MsgBox Err.Description
>    Resume Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click
>
> End Sub
>
> __________________________________
> Option Compare Database
> Option Explicit
>
> Public Today As Control, ctldate As Control
>
> Function PopCalendar()
> On Error GoTo PopCalendar_Err
>
>        Set ctldate = Screen.ActiveControl
>        DoCmd.OpenForm "FRM - Calendar"
>
> PopCalendar_Exit:
>        Exit Function
>
> PopCalendar_Err:
>        MsgBox "Error:" + Error$
>        Resume PopCalendar_Exit
>
> End Function

0
Allen
4/27/2007 6:08:08 AM
Sue, if you want to follow up on this, I've never had much success with
trying to work with Screen.ActiveControl.Form, so here's a routine that will
let you get a reference to the form that the active control is on.

You could use it like this:
    With FormOf(Screen.ActiveControl)
        Debug.Print .Name & " permits changes = ";
        If .NewRecord Then
            Debug.Print .AllowAdditions
        Else
            Debug.Print .AllowEdits
        End If
    End With

Public Function FormOf(varControl As Variant) As Form
On Error GoTo Err_Handler
    'Purpose:   Return a reference to the form the control is on.
    'Argument:  The control whose form you seek.
    'Return:    Form variable, or Nothing on error.
    Dim obj As Object

    If IsObject(varControl) Then
        Set obj = varControl
        Do While Not TypeOf obj Is Form
            Set obj = obj.Parent
        Loop
        If TypeOf obj Is Form Then
            Set FormOf = obj
        End If
    End If

Exit_Handler:
    Set obj = Nothing
    Exit Function

Err_Handler:
    Select Case Err.Number
    Case 91, 2450 To 2452, 2459 'Object not set, invalid form/report/view,
No parent.
        'do nothing
    Case Else
        MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description,
vbExclamation, "FormOf()"
    End Select
    Resume Exit_Handler
End Function

> Perhaps you could refuse to open the calendar (or refuse to write the date
> back), if the form is read-only or the control is not visible/enabled.
>
> Testing the Visible/Enabled properties of Screen.ActiveControl is easy
> enough.
>
> What's more challenging is determining the form that the control is on
> (particularly if it is in an option group, on a tab control, in a subform,
> etc.) Then you still have to test for all the factors that could make that
> form read-only, e.g. AllowEdits (but AllowAdditions if at NewRecord),
> RecordsetType, whether the source query is read-only (and in some cases,
> some fields in a query are while others are not), user's permissions
> (security), read-only status of database, etc.
>
> "sue gray" <suegray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a form that I open in read only that has a calendar popup for the
>>date
>> fields.  When I open the form the calendar pop up allows the date to be
>> changed.  The rest of the fields are read only.  Any suggestions.  Thanks
>>
>> Private Sub ViewActivityNote_Click()
>> On Error GoTo Err_ViewActivityNote_Click
>>
>>    Dim stDocName As String
>>    Dim stLinkCriteria As String
>>
>>    stDocName = "FRM - Activity Note"
>>
>>    stLinkCriteria = "[activitynoteid]=" & Me![activitynoteid]
>>    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, acFormReadOnly
>>
>> Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click:
>>    Exit Sub
>>
>> Err_ViewActivityNote_Click:
>>    MsgBox Err.Description
>>    Resume Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click
>>
>> End Sub
>>
>> __________________________________
>> Option Compare Database
>> Option Explicit
>>
>> Public Today As Control, ctldate As Control
>>
>> Function PopCalendar()
>> On Error GoTo PopCalendar_Err
>>
>>        Set ctldate = Screen.ActiveControl
>>        DoCmd.OpenForm "FRM - Calendar"
>>
>> PopCalendar_Exit:
>>        Exit Function
>>
>> PopCalendar_Err:
>>        MsgBox "Error:" + Error$
>>        Resume PopCalendar_Exit
>>
>> End Function

0
Allen
4/27/2007 7:02:48 AM
Wow,  I didn't realize it was that complicated.  If I choose your last
response, where would I put that code.  THanks for the help.

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> [...]
> >>date
> >> fields.  When I open the form the calendar pop up allows the date to be
> >> changed.  The rest of the fields are read only.  Any suggestions.  Thanks
> >>
> >> Private Sub ViewActivityNote_Click()
> >> On Error GoTo Err_ViewActivityNote_Click
> >>
> >>    Dim stDocName As String
> >>    Dim stLinkCriteria As String
> >>
> >>    stDocName = "FRM - Activity Note"
> >>
> >>    stLinkCriteria = "[activitynoteid]=" & Me![activitynoteid]
> >>    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, acFormReadOnly
> >>
> >> Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click:
> >>    Exit Sub
> >>
> >> Err_ViewActivityNote_Click:
> >>    MsgBox Err.Description
> >>    Resume Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click
> >>
> >> End Sub
> >>
> >> __________________________________
> >> Option Compare Database
> >> Option Explicit
> >>
> >> Public Today As Control, ctldate As Control

The FormOf() function goes in a standard module.

You would then use it in whatever way you need in the function where you
call the calendar.

> Wow,  I didn't realize it was that complicated.  If I choose your last
> response, where would I put that code.  THanks for the help.
>
> "Allen Browne" wrote:
>
>> Sue, if you want to follow up on this, I've never had much success with
>> trying to work with Screen.ActiveControl.Form, so here's a routine that
>> will
>> let you get a reference to the form that the active control is on.
>>
>> You could use it like this:
>>     With FormOf(Screen.ActiveControl)
>>         Debug.Print .Name & " permits changes = ";
>>         If .NewRecord Then
>>             Debug.Print .AllowAdditions
>>         Else
>>             Debug.Print .AllowEdits
>>         End If
>>     End With
>>

>> Public Function FormOf(varControl As Variant) As Form
>> On Error GoTo Err_Handler
>>     'Purpose:   Return a reference to the form the control is on.
>>     'Argument:  The control whose form you seek.
>>     'Return:    Form variable, or Nothing on error.
>>     Dim obj As Object
>>
>>     If IsObject(varControl) Then
>>         Set obj = varControl
>>         Do While Not TypeOf obj Is Form
>>             Set obj = obj.Parent
>>         Loop
>>         If TypeOf obj Is Form Then
>>             Set FormOf = obj
>>         End If
>>     End If
>>
>> Exit_Handler:
>>     Set obj = Nothing
>>     Exit Function
>>
>> Err_Handler:
>>     Select Case Err.Number
>>     Case 91, 2450 To 2452, 2459 'Object not set, invalid
>> form/report/view,
>> No parent.
>>         'do nothing
>>     Case Else
>>         MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description,
>> vbExclamation, "FormOf()"
>>     End Select
>>     Resume Exit_Handler
>> End Function
>>
>> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote in message
>> > Perhaps you could refuse to open the calendar (or refuse to write the
>> > date
>> > back), if the form is read-only or the control is not visible/enabled.
>> >
>> > Testing the Visible/Enabled properties of Screen.ActiveControl is easy
>> > enough.
>> >
>> > What's more challenging is determining the form that the control is on
>> > (particularly if it is in an option group, on a tab control, in a
>> > subform,
>> > etc.) Then you still have to test for all the factors that could make
>> > that
>> > form read-only, e.g. AllowEdits (but AllowAdditions if at NewRecord),
>> > RecordsetType, whether the source query is read-only (and in some
>> > cases,
>> > some fields in a query are while others are not), user's permissions
>> > (security), read-only status of database, etc.
>> >
>> > "sue gray" <suegray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Allen

Filling in a form
I have a form that I fill out mailing purposes. I have a difficult time filling out by hand. Is there a way that I can use my computer to do this? I have XP, Home Edition. I have printer and a scanner. I've been told it can be done. -- thanks chiefd This forum is for Microsoft Great Plains (an accounting system); I recommend you post your question on the Microsoft forum; see below for link. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx Good luck, rc "chiefd" wrote: > I have a form that I fill out mailing purposes. I have a difficult time &...

Date format #16
I want to format a column of cells so that when 012208 is entered with the numeric keypad, 01/22/2008 appears in the cell. So far, I'm getting 6/3/1933. Thanks, Cathy Hate to say it but why not just type the extra two characters to make it 1/22/08? If you type "12208" in a cell, Excel assumes you are entering a serial date (hence the conversion to 6/3/1933). How much easier to just type the two "/" and don't force Excel to guess what you want. HTH, JP On Jan 22, 10:00=A0pm, "Cathy C" <cchrist...@aristotle.net> wrote: > I want to format a...

Set a date as a constant to work back from to show only weekdays #2
I would like to input one date as a constant and then apply a formaula in other cells relating to this date to calculate back from but to "round" back to only weekdays. For example if i type in a date of February 1st 2006 (a Wednesday) and would like to calculate backwards automatically by eleven days it is Sat Jan 21st 2006. I would like this to round back to the nearest previous workday which would be the Friday. On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:11:02 -0800, "Happy Gilmore" <Happy Gilmore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to input one date as a constant...

Adding PowerPoint slide to Access Form
How do I add an interactive PowerPoint slide to an Access Form (this will be on my switchboard)? I don't believe it's possible. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele (no e-mails, please!) "Natasha" <Natasha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA6EEA66-68ED-46F1-ABE9-1B5F83EEDEF6@microsoft.com... > How do I add an interactive PowerPoint slide to an Access Form (this will > be > on my switchboard)? Probably not do-able, but here's a good site for things pertaining to PowerPoint: htt...

remove white space without changing plot size
Now I know the white space can be removed by draging plot area but without changing the size of plot I like to remove the white space. Is that impossible ? Not impossible, but it is hard to maintain the plot area size. You have to first make the outer chart area rectangle as small as you need, then make the plot area as large as you need. You'll probably have to cycle through resizing of the two rectangles a few times. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ pm wrote: > Now I know t...

Use custom task form in Outlook 2003 when creating task in ON 2007
I have a custom task form in Outlook 2003 that I use for all of my task-related info. I rely heavily on this form, and would like to have it be the form that isused when ON creates a task (using any of the Outlook Task tags). Is it possible to do this? -- Bobby C Hi Bobby, You might get better help if you posted this in the Outlook Forum since this is an Access Forum. Happy New Year! Patrick Wood "Bobby C" wrote: > I have a custom task form in Outlook 2003 that I use for all of my > task-related info. I rely heavily on this form, and would like to have it be > ...

Reading .wks file

How to send a form to my email address
I am trying to create a form in my website which I would like the page of content send to my email address. I use "Insert"-"Form Control" to build a page of the content. I added the "Submit" button to send the form content to my email address. However, when I published the website, and click the submit button, there are error message for it as: "The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons: 1. You are the owner of this web site and you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded)...

Form to report
I have a form with a listbox and 2 graphs. When an item is selected on the listbox, the chart displays the appropriate informatiom. But when the "preview report" button is selcted at the bottom, the form displays graphs for ALL items in the listbox...not the one selected. I am missing passing something to the report but I don't know what. Here is the code behind the button: Private Sub Command20_Click() Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "rptTrend_HF" DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview End Sub -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com ht...

data entry on form
i have a form that is linked to a table. all i do is enter data from the form. i converted the database from 2000 to 2003 because i want to use with runtime. for some reason the form doesnt open up in data entry mode. i can scroll through records etc but the * is not available to use to create a new record. it worked no problem before now its not. everything is checked for the properties for data entry. when i use the database with runtime, the total form is blank. thats another story. does anyone have any ideas what is happening. thanks On Tue, 8 May 2007 19:38:37 -0400, &...

File won't open as read only

Subfor delete not allowed
Hi All, I know i am missing soething here but i can't seem to explain this condition. The condition exists with all of my forms that contain subforms. A DB table contains 2 fields, School_name and Unit_number (it is intended to track which Scout units draw from which schools) both fields are many to many relationships. A school may have many units drawing scouts from it and unit may draw from many school but no duplicates are allowd. So both unit_number and School_name are joint keys in the School-Unit Table. Each of these is linked to its own tables called Schools (Sch...

How to calculate compound interest given table of dates/interest rate
Hi, There must be a standard way of doing this... I have a table of bank base rates and the day on which they came into effect - about 50 entries in two columns (date/rate%). I want to calculate the compound interest on one of my customer's outstanding invoices from the due date of the invoice. My knowledge of Excel is basic, but even I understand there must be a standard way of doing this ;-) The interest rate table goes back several years, as does the outstanding amount. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks -- Mike As you can tell by the dearth of replies, this is not ...

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

Archiving mail items with a modified date of "none"
Outlook 2003 BTW, I am trying to use the archive function to combine a couple PST files (archiving from one file to another). I set the archive date to a future date to force all items to be moved. unfortunately some items have a modified date of "none". These are left alone by the archive process. Is there a better way to merge pst files or os there a way to include those items in the scope of the archive? Thanks, Steve -- NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:12:44 -0500, "Stephen M" <sawdustnospam@primelink1.net>...

reading confirmation

Outlook 2003 Custom Form
OK... I give up. How do I get the wheel mouse to activate and listen in a custom form for outlook 2003? The scroll bar is tedious to use, especially when you're used to having the scroll on the mouse. ...

The memory could not be "read".

Forms based authentication.
Im running Exchange2003 enterprise on a W2K3 server. I understand that with forms based authentication, the OWA login page requires the user to either login with their full email address and password, or the domain\username and password. Our users can successfully login with the domain\username format but cannot login with their email address and password. Have i misunderstood the possible logon formats which can be used or is there something I haven't configured correctly? I'm constantly getting calls to remind people of the domain name of the local network and it would be much...

I've inharited a spreadsheet that I need to change the query to an external source...
I've inharited a spreadsheet that connects to an external source, our SQL 2005 server. I've altered the query to reflect our server name and saved it in Excel as a query with a new name. If I press F5 I can select the range, then I click on the Edit Query icon . First it says "This query cannot be edited by the Query Wizard", I press OK. Then it says "Invalid object name "TheirSERVERNAME.odb.SVSLSITM, Statement(s) could not be prepared", which makes sense since their server is different then ours. If I press OK there it takes me to basically a blank screen/...

Problem with xy scatter with dates
I am trying to create an x-y scatter chart where both the x values and the y values are dates. I highlight the 2 adjacent columns of date data and click on Insert>Scatter. Instead of a scatter graph, I get a line chart with 2 lines (the two data columns). The x values on the graph are simply a count of the data points as in a line chart. If the 2 columns of data are not dates, I get the correct scatter chart, but not if the x-values are dates in which case I get a line chart. How can I get a scatter chart with both x-values and y-values as dates? You could select just the Y val...

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...

Unable to Read Japanese Email
I correspond with several Japanese users and can read emails from some of them without a problem, but emails from others are nothing but a series of ?????. In one case, I can read one email but not another from the same sender. Changing the Encoding doesn't help. Sending emails in Japanese to them without a problem...they can read it fine. Would appreciate any suggestions/solutions as I'm stumped. I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Home operating system. Japanese language support is installed. ...