Problems with different versions of Access

Hello,

I am working on a VBA Access pplication which connects to a SQL Server
database.
I have a continuous form displayed with data, ad it is linked to a
database table, so when I  enter a value from my form the data in
instantaneously updated in the database.

The problem I have is that this form works perfectly when I am
developping, and using my developpement environement (with Access
allowing me to set breakpoints, go step by step in the code and so on),
but it does not work when I use it in the PC of the ending user : in
this case, when I enter a value in the form, and click in another part
of the form, it crashes immediately. Note that my ending user has a
version of Access which does not allow entering or modifying the code,
but just executing my application as a MDE project.

So I made several tests, and the conclusion is that with a version of
Access which allows access to the VBA code (developpement version), the
form works (in MDB or MDE versions of the app), but not with the
version that does not give access to the code.

Is there something I should do when creating the MDE file to be sure
that it includes averything it needs to run correctly in all versions
of Access ?

What should I do to allow my MDE file to run in any version of Access ?

Thank you for any idea on this point.

--
QUI VA A LA CHASSE VOLE UN BOEUF (Proverbe)

0
ByB

ByB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a VBA Access pplication which connects to a SQL Server
> database.
> I have a continuous form displayed with data, ad it is linked to a
> database table, so when I  enter a value from my form the data in
> instantaneously updated in the database.
>
> The problem I have is that this form works perfectly when I am
> developping, and using my developpement environement (with Access
> allowing me to set breakpoints, go step by step in the code and so
> on), but it does not work when I use it in the PC of the ending user
> : in this case, when I enter a value in the form, and click in
> another part of the form, it crashes immediately. Note that my ending
> user has a version of Access which does not allow entering or
> modifying the code, but just executing my application as a MDE
> project.
> So I made several tests, and the conclusion is that with a version of
> Access which allows access to the VBA code (developpement version),
> the form works (in MDB or MDE versions of the app), but not with the
> version that does not give access to the code.
>
> Is there something I should do when creating the MDE file to be sure
> that it includes averything it needs to run correctly in all versions
> of Access ?
>
> What should I do to allow my MDE file to run in any version of Access
> ?
>
> Thank you for any idea on this point.

First off, the "version of Access" you are describing that your user has sounds
like the runtime.  That is a completely different and separate issue to using an
MDE.  One can use an MDE in the fully licensed version of Access and one can use
an MDB with the runtime.

The reason I make that distinction is that it is possible for code to work in an
MDB and not in an MDE without bringing the runtime into the discussion and it is
also possible for code in an MDB that works in "full-blown" Access to not work
in the runtime.  Lastly (and more likely really), is that it is possible for
code to work on one PC and not on another without the runtime or MDB/MDE being
thrown into the mix at all.

Whether the runtime, the MDE, the combination of the two, or none of those has
anything at all to do with your problem cannot be determined unless you post
exactly what your code is.

Generally speaking MDEs cannot execute code that would try to alter the design
of a code-based object or open it in design view.  The runtime has some
restrictions on what you can do, but mostly from the user interface.  The list
of things you cannot do with code is a pretty small list.  Certainly anything to
do with saving a record should be just fine.  A missing VBA reference is a
common problem when code works on one PC and not on another.  Unfortunately,
that is not so easy to diagnose with an MDE or with the runtime.

You can certainly rule out the MDE factor by seeing if you have that problem
with the MDE on your development machine.  If not, then you can likely dismiss
that issue.  Additionally, you can launch your app from a shortcut that
specifies the /runtime command line argument for the Access executable to
simulate the runtime environment on your PC.  If you don't see the same problem
then the runtime is likely not the issue.

After that I suggest posting your code.  The answer might be obvious to someone
from there.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
10/13/2007 12:19:19 PM
Before creating your MDE file be sure you have good error handling on all
your codes. Next, in the VBA window, compile your file and then go to
Tools>Options and select the General tab. In Error Trapping section select
"Break on Unhandled Errors". If "Break on All Errors" is selected this will
shut down an MDE file on any error that occurs. At least it has in my
experience.
Hope this helps.

John G

"ByB" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on a VBA Access pplication which connects to a SQL Server
> database.
> I have a continuous form displayed with data, ad it is linked to a
> database table, so when I  enter a value from my form the data in
> instantaneously updated in the database.
>
> The problem I have is that this form works perfectly when I am
> developping, and using my developpement environement (with Access
> allowing me to set breakpoints, go step by step in the code and so on),
> but it does not work when I use it in the PC of the ending user : in
> this case, when I enter a value in the form, and click in another part
> of the form, it crashes immediately. Note that my ending user has a
> version of Access which does not allow entering or modifying the code,
> but just executing my application as a MDE project.
>
> So I made several tests, and the conclusion is that with a version of
> Access which allows access to the VBA code (developpement version), the
> form works (in MDB or MDE versions of the app), but not with the
> version that does not give access to the code.
>
> Is there something I should do when creating the MDE file to be sure
> that it includes averything it needs to run correctly in all versions
> of Access ?
>
> What should I do to allow my MDE file to run in any version of Access ?
>

> Thank you for any idea on this point.
>
> --
> QUI VA A LA CHASSE VOLE UN BOEUF (Proverbe)

 Additionally, you can launch your app from a shortcut that
> specifies the /runtime command line argument for the Access executable to
> simulate the runtime environment on your PC.  If you don't see the same problem
> then the runtime is likely not the issue.

Thank you for your answer.
Can you please tell me how to launch Access with the /runtime
argument ?
For the moment, I just double click in my MDB file to run Access. I
have been searching via Google, but did not find any example of
running Access with a parameter like this (when I try running it from
the console with MSACCESS /runtime, Access starts but asking for the
"runtime" database !)

Thank you

0
nartla
10/15/2007 8:47:09 AM
On 15 oct, 10:47, nartla <bruno.bar...@altran.com> wrote:
>  Additionally, you can launch your app from a shortcut that
>
> > specifies the /runtime command line argument for the Access executable to
> > simulate the runtime environment on your PC.  If you don't see the same problem
> > then the runtime is likely not the issue.
>
> Thank you for your answer.
> Can you please tell me how to launch Access with the /runtime
> argument ?
> For the moment, I just double click in my MDB file to run Access. I
> have been searching via Google, but did not find any example of
> running Access with a parameter like this (when I try running it from
> the console with MSACCESS /runtime, Access starts but asking for the
> "runtime" database !)
>
> Thank you

OK, I found the way :

MSACCESS databaseName  /runtime

is the correct syntax.

0
nartla
10/15/2007 9:07:07 AM
On 15 oct, 11:07, nartla <bruno.bar...@altran.com> wrote:
> On 15 oct, 10:47, nartla <bruno.bar...@altran.com> wrote:
>

> >  Additionally, you can launch your app from a shortcut that
>
> > > specifies the /runtime command line argument for the Access executabl=
e to
> > > simulate the runtime environment on your PC.  If you don't see the sa=
me problem
> > > then the runtime is likely not the issue.
>
> > Thank you for your answer.
> > Can you please tell me how to launch Access with the /runtime
> > argument ?
> > For the moment, I just double click in my MDB file to run Access. I
> > have been searching via Google, but did not find any example of
> > running Access with a parameter like this (when I try running it from
> > the console with MSACCESS /runtime, Access starts but asking for the
> > "runtime" database !)
>
> > Thank you
>
> OK, I found the way :
>
> MSACCESS databaseName  /runtime
>
> is the correct syntax.- Masquer le texte des messages pr=E9c=E9dents -
>
> - Afficher le texte des messages pr=E9c=E9dents -

Well, I tried my app by running it with the /runtime parameter, but
the bug cannot be reproduced in this way.
Does that mean that the problem does not come from the runtime ?

0
nartla
10/15/2007 9:55:39 AM
nartla wrote:
> Well, I tried my app by running it with the /runtime parameter, but
> the bug cannot be reproduced in this way.
> Does that mean that the problem does not come from the runtime ?

Probably.

Do you have any references besides the deafult ones?  That is the most
common reason for apps that work on one PC, but not another.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
Rick

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Access 97 executables and other versions of Access
I have a few questions regarding Access 97 and other versions of Access as we don't have time to develop .net versions of our Access 97 databases and some of our users are moving to other versions of Office/Access - I work for a local authority hence we tend to be very slow in moving to newer technology! We've tried converting our Access 97 databases (lots of front end forms) into Access 2000 but they fail and we don't want to install two versions of Access due to having our applications delivered via Novell to the user (PC's are locked down). Do we need to purchase...

Problem shortcuts in Word

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

problem #4

Access denied when forwarding
When I am working remote using webmail, after being logged on and receiving mail...when I try and forward a mail message I get a "access denied" error When I am logged on as a MAPI client....everything works fine. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeff ...

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

Unable to open subforms in Access
I am working with a access database that is located on a network drive. This database is a patient history list and when i double click on the patient's name it is supposed to show me the patient history but it doesnt. I have gone to the access options and changed the trust center settings to allow all macros to run but still can not get the database to work. Any Idea's? On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:54:02 -0800, bpalmeri <bpalmeri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am working with a access database that is located on a network drive. This >database is a patie...

IF AND problem

Insurance Policies in Different Currencies
How do I set up Insurance Policies in different currencies ? I am using Money 2006 Deluxe and when I create a insurance policy, it takes the base currency as the default. Appreciate any help here. Thanks "sbmd2006user" <sbmd2006user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A342B0FB-5352-42E4-BB4D-3F755891436E@microsoft.com... > How do I set up Insurance Policies in different currencies ? > I am using Money 2006 Deluxe and when I create a insurance policy, it > takes > the base currency as the default. Money apparently lacks the capability you're ...

Instant Access not enabled.
At start-up of Excel I get a pop-up which states: "Unable to Find Quit on the File Menu. Instant Access not enabled." I can then choose to press OK on the pop-up, after which everything works OK and Instant Access does work. I believe Quit is on the File Menu: it's the X mark to quit Excel completely. I also have an add-on icon which I can't get rid of (couldn't get rid of it in Excel 2000 either), as it keeps coming back, even though it says it can't come back and will be irretrievable. This add-on is for an old scanner that I no longer use and have deleted ...