Problem with popup form on a single record

I have a record that has a form for a user to enter information into.  If the
user needs to add additional information, a popup screen (popup and modal)
comes up for them to add additional information.  Both forms service one
record.  Occasionally, and I can't seem to define it exactly, I get an error
message saying that another user (I'm the only user) is trying to update the
record and I have three choices:  Save the information, write it to the
clipboard or dump the information.  The last time I saved it, I corrupted the
entire database and had to start all over again.

The only thing that I think may be causing this is a routine that changes
the date if a certain button is pushed.  Does changing the date cause both
forms to attempt to update to the new date? If so, what can I do to change
the underlying data without having both of them attempt to update at the same
time?

This usually, but not always, happens after the popup has closed and the
original form is doing a close form.  I must have tried a hundred times
(probably more) to duplicate this and get a consistent pattern.

Hi,
the error is access' way of telling you that you have 2 open forms that edit
data from the same table.
This scenario is a problem for access, it doesn't know which data to save,
and thus you see the error message.
If you open the popup form with an acDialog argument, the main form will be
disabled until the popup is closed. This will stop the error message.

Code it like this:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "YourFormName", , , , , acDialog

When you use the acDialog argument to open a form, its popup and modal are
temporarily set to true, without any need to set these properties to true on
the forn's property sheet.

Jeanette Cunningham

"Lambi000" <Lambi000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a record that has a form for a user to enter information into.  If
>the
> user needs to add additional information, a popup screen (popup and modal)
> comes up for them to add additional information.  Both forms service one
> record.  Occasionally, and I can't seem to define it exactly, I get an
> error
> message saying that another user (I'm the only user) is trying to update
> the
> record and I have three choices:  Save the information, write it to the
> clipboard or dump the information.  The last time I saved it, I corrupted
> the
> entire database and had to start all over again.
>
> The only thing that I think may be causing this is a routine that changes
> the date if a certain button is pushed.  Does changing the date cause both
> forms to attempt to update to the new date? If so, what can I do to change
> the underlying data without having both of them attempt to update at the
> same
> time?
>
> This usually, but not always, happens after the popup has closed and the
> original form is doing a close form.  I must have tried a hundred times
> (probably more) to duplicate this and get a consistent pattern.

0
Jeanette
2/28/2008 8:46:39 PM
Looks like that did it.  It makes sense that if you can go back and forth
between the two screens there would be a problem.  Thanks, Jeannette.

"Jeanette Cunningham" wrote:

> Hi,
> the error is access' way of telling you that you have 2 open forms that edit
> data from the same table.
> This scenario is a problem for access, it doesn't know which data to save,
> and thus you see the error message.
> If you open the popup form with an acDialog argument, the main form will be
> disabled until the popup is closed. This will stop the error message.
>
> Code it like this:
>     DoCmd.OpenForm "YourFormName", , , , , acDialog
>
> When you use the acDialog argument to open a form, its popup and modal are
> temporarily set to true, without any need to set these properties to true on
> the forn's property sheet.
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>
> "Lambi000" <Lambi000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a record that has a form for a user to enter information into.  If
> >the
> > user needs to add additional information, a popup screen (popup and modal)
> > comes up for them to add additional information.  Both forms service one
> > record.  Occasionally, and I can't seem to define it exactly, I get an
> > error
> > message saying that another user (I'm the only user) is trying to update
> > the
> > record and I have three choices:  Save the information, write it to the
> > clipboard or dump the information.  The last time I saved it, I corrupted
> > the
> > entire database and had to start all over again.
> >
> > The only thing that I think may be causing this is a routine that changes
> > the date if a certain button is pushed.  Does changing the date cause both
> > forms to attempt to update to the new date? If so, what can I do to change
> > the underlying data without having both of them attempt to update at the
> > same
> > time?
> >
> > This usually, but not always, happens after the popup has closed and the
> > original form is doing a close form.  I must have tried a hundred times
> > (probably more) to duplicate this and get a consistent pattern.

Outlook 2003 PST problems

I want to expose Action menu items as form buttons
I'm trying to expose Action menu items as form buttons by customizing the _recources/ISV.Config file. I'm trying to use the following code: <incident> <ToolBar ValidForCreate="0" ValidForUpdate="1"> <Button Title="Resolve Case" ToolTip="Resolve this case" Icon="/_imgs/ico_18_serviceReports.gif" Url="http://localhost/CS/cases/dlg_closecase.aspx" PassParams="1" WinParams="" WinMode="0"/> </ToolBar> </incident> It throws an error, so I can only assume that I'...

more than two MX record
Hi gurus I have and exchange 2000 server, two statics ip, two routers.- each router has it own Ip address.- my mx record points to one of my public IP and all email comes through this using one of my router, then my router push all email to my spam firewall and my firewall push those emails to my exchange server. I want some of my outside user to send email using the other router and bypass my spam firewall. do I just create another MX record pointing to the next static ip and use my router to forward those email directly to my exchange server my MX record mail.domain.com can I cr...

Problem shortcuts in Word

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

In Word 2000 how do I undo Skip Record If
In creating my first mail merge file I thought the "Skip Record If" might work for me. I will be running this mail merge on a monthly basis and used a date in the Compare To: box which will only work for the current month. How do I undo the "Skip Record If" so I can sort my data through the recipient list? -- Thanks, ChrisR Your post in the mailmerge.fields newgroup has been answered. Please do not post the same question separately to multiple newsgroups. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my se...

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Multiple loans serviced by single provider
I am a new user of Money and am trying to set up my student loans. Like most government-backed education loan portfolios, there are multiple loans with different terms, variable rates, etc serviced with one payment to a single service provider -- Sallie Mae. I send Sallie Mae one check each month. I have set up each loan in Money (there are four) as a separate account thinking I could 'split' the single payment from my checking account into four pieces. But Money will not give me the option to split checking transaction into multiple loan payments. I have the option in the initi...

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...