Paper Data Entry Form

Hello,

I have a form with many fields.  Some of the fields are combo boxes
based on value lists where the value list could have up to 5 different
choices.

Field Example: Incision Dimension (Value List: 2.0, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4)

I need a paper copy of the form that users can fill out.  Is there an
easy way to do this such that the fields which are combo boxes will be
presented with all the value list choices (i.e., Incision Dimension
(2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) so the user is aware of all the choices and
perhaps circles the relevant one?

I know I could print the form but it would not capture the value
options in these combo boxes.
I know I could make a form in Word or Excel but hoping I can avoid
having to do that.

Thanks for you help.

sargum

I'll be very curious to see if someone has such a tool.  For whatever it's
worth, I've not heard of a way to "print a form" and have it drop down all
its own comboboxes.  Actually, depending on the placement, I could imagine
having some drop-down lists obscuring other dropped-down lists, so it might
not even be a good idea?!

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

<sargum@umich.edu> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a form with many fields.  Some of the fields are combo boxes
> based on value lists where the value list could have up to 5 different
> choices.
>
> Field Example: Incision Dimension (Value List: 2.0, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4)
>
> I need a paper copy of the form that users can fill out.  Is there an
> easy way to do this such that the fields which are combo boxes will be
> presented with all the value list choices (i.e., Incision Dimension
> (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) so the user is aware of all the choices and
> perhaps circles the relevant one?
>
> I know I could print the form but it would not capture the value
> options in these combo boxes.
> I know I could make a form in Word or Excel but hoping I can avoid
> having to do that.
>
> Thanks for you help.

Jeff
11/1/2007 7:47:03 PM
On Nov 1, 3:47 pm, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> I'll be very curious to see if someone has such a tool.  For whatever it's
> worth, I've not heard of a way to "print a form" and have it drop down all
> its own comboboxes.  Actually, depending on the placement, I could imagine
> having some drop-down lists obscuring other dropped-down lists, so it might
> not even be a good idea?!
>
> Good luck!
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> <sar...@umich.edu> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > I have a form with many fields.  Some of the fields are combo boxes
> > based on value lists where the value list could have up to 5 different
> > choices.
>
> > Field Example: Incision Dimension (Value List: 2.0, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4)
>
> > I need a paper copy of the form that users can fill out.  Is there an
> > easy way to do this such that the fields which are combo boxes will be
> > presented with all the value list choices (i.e., Incision Dimension
> > (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) so the user is aware of all the choices and
> > perhaps circles the relevant one?
>
> > I know I could print the form but it would not capture the value
> > options in these combo boxes.
> > I know I could make a form in Word or Excel but hoping I can avoid
> > having to do that.
>
> > Thanks for you help.
>
> > S- Hide quoted text -

Hi,

You bring up a good point.  I thought about this too but am thinking
that there may be a report or something like a report that would take
this into account and generate something that would present the data
without obscuring fields based on combobox choices.  If there isn't a
tool, there should be...It would be great to have a wizard that spits
out a paper data entry version to give to users.  My guess is that
every database maker has to use work or Excel to make such a thing...I
am surprised that MS Access hasn't thought of making this easy to do.

sargum
11/1/2007 8:00:56 PM
"sargum@umich.edu" <sargum@umich.edu> wrote in

> My guess is that every database maker has to
> use work or Excel to make such a thing...I am surprised that MS
> Access hasn't thought of making this easy to do.

Very few developers need to have users fill in a paper form and someone
else perform data entry on the completed paper. It's duplication of
effort and expensive.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Bob
11/1/2007 9:38:09 PM
What I've noticed is that it is often easier to give the users a screen and
let them do the data entry/data selection.  This tends to reduce the
frequency of data entry errors, since it's touched once, not twice.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

<sargum@umich.edu> wrote in message
> On Nov 1, 3:47 pm, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
>> I'll be very curious to see if someone has such a tool.  For whatever
>> it's
>> worth, I've not heard of a way to "print a form" and have it drop down
>> all
>> its own comboboxes.  Actually, depending on the placement, I could
>> imagine
>> having some drop-down lists obscuring other dropped-down lists, so it
>> might
>> not even be a good idea?!
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>
>> <sar...@umich.edu> wrote in message

>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I have a form with many fields.  Some of the fields are combo boxes
>> > based on value lists where the value list could have up to 5 different
>> > choices.
>>
>> > Field Example: Incision Dimension (Value List: 2.0, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4)
>>
>> > I need a paper copy of the form that users can fill out.  Is there an
>> > easy way to do this such that the fields which are combo boxes will be
>> > presented with all the value list choices (i.e., Incision Dimension
>> > (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) so the user is aware of all the choices and
>> > perhaps circles the relevant one?
>>
>> > I know I could print the form but it would not capture the value
>> > options in these combo boxes.
>> > I know I could make a form in Word or Excel but hoping I can avoid
>> > having to do that.
>>
>> > Thanks for you help.
>>
>> > S- Hide quoted text -

> Hi,
>
> You bring up a good point.  I thought about this too but am thinking
> that there may be a report or something like a report that would take
> this into account and generate something that would present the data
> without obscuring fields based on combobox choices.  If there isn't a
> tool, there should be...It would be great to have a wizard that spits
> out a paper data entry version to give to users.  My guess is that
> every database maker has to use work or Excel to make such a thing...I
> am surprised that MS Access hasn't thought of making this easy to do.

Jeff
11/1/2007 10:27:17 PM
On Nov 1, 6:27 pm, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> What I've noticed is that it is often easier to give the users a screen and
> let them do the data entry/data selection.  This tends to reduce the
> frequency of data entry errors, since it's touched once, not twice.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> <sar...@umich.edu> wrote in message

> > On Nov 1, 3:47 pm, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> >> I'll be very curious to see if someone has such a tool.  For whatever
> >> it's
> >> worth, I've not heard of a way to "print a form" and have it drop down
> >> all
> >> its own comboboxes.  Actually, depending on the placement, I could
> >> imagine
> >> having some drop-down lists obscuring other dropped-down lists, so it
> >> might
> >> not even be a good idea?!
>
> >> Good luck!
>
> >> Regards
>
> >> Jeff Boyce
> >> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> >> <sar...@umich.edu> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > You bring up a good point.  I thought about this too but am thinking
> > that there may be a report or something like a report that would take
> > this into account and generate something that would present the data
> > without obscuring fields based on combobox choices.  If there isn't a
> > tool, there should be...It would be great to have a wizard that spits
> > out a paper data entry version to give to users.  My guess is that
> > every database maker has to use work or Excel to make such a thing...I
> > am surprised that MS Access hasn't thought of making this easy to do.
>
> > S- Hide quoted text -

Hello,

I agree that it would be most efficient if the user entered the data
into the DB.  However, these are going to be clinicals at the
hospital.  They need to have the data fresh in their mind to fill out
a paper data entry form.  Let me know if anyone has any ideas.  Thx.

sargum
11/2/2007 1:43:59 PM
Consider reposting as a new thread.

Consider searching on-line.

Consider creating a Word (or Excel) document that depicts what you need it
to.

> On Nov 1, 6:27 pm, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
>> What I've noticed is that it is often easier to give the users a screen
>> and
>> let them do the data entry/data selection.  This tends to reduce the
>> frequency of data entry errors, since it's touched once, not twice.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>
>> <sar...@umich.edu> wrote in message

>> > Hi,
>>
>> > You bring up a good point.  I thought about this too but am thinking
>> > that there may be a report or something like a report that would take
>> > this into account and generate something that would present the data
>> > without obscuring fields based on combobox choices.  If there isn't a
>> > tool, there should be...It would be great to have a wizard that spits
>> > out a paper data entry version to give to users.  My guess is that
>> > every database maker has to use work or Excel to make such a thing...I
>> > am surprised that MS Access hasn't thought of making this easy to do.
>>
>> > S- Hide quoted text -

> Hello,
>
> I agree that it would be most efficient if the user entered the data
> into the DB.  However, these are going to be clinicals at the
> hospital.  They need to have the data fresh in their mind to fill out
> a paper data entry form.  Let me know if anyone has any ideas.  Thx.

Jeff
11/2/2007 3:22:04 PM
I'd be very interested in knowing if someone has a tool for this. One
suggestion I'd make is to create a report that brings all your data together.
Each of your combo boxes would be a sub-report. Make a seperate expression
for each different subreport. I just tested this method out and it works.
It'd take some time to revamp the layout, but it'll work.

The nice thing about this method is the data will not be hard-coded and will
update automatically. However, the layout won't be as manageable as a word
document.

Good luck.

sargum@umich.edu wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a form with many fields.  Some of the fields are combo boxes
>based on value lists where the value list could have up to 5 different
>choices.
>
>Field Example: Incision Dimension (Value List: 2.0, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4)
>
>I need a paper copy of the form that users can fill out.  Is there an
>easy way to do this such that the fields which are combo boxes will be
>presented with all the value list choices (i.e., Incision Dimension
>(2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) so the user is aware of all the choices and
>perhaps circles the relevant one?
>
>I know I could print the form but it would not capture the value
>options in these combo boxes.
>I know I could make a form in Word or Excel but hoping I can avoid
>having to do that.
>
>Thanks for you help.

benyod79
11/2/2007 3:46:50 PM
On Nov 2, 10:46 am, "benyod79 via AccessMonster.com" <u23098@uwe>
wrote:
> I'd be very interested in knowing if someone has a tool for this. One
> suggestion I'd make is to create a report that brings all your data together.
> Each of your combo boxes would be a sub-report. Make a seperate expression
> for each different subreport. I just tested this method out and it works.
> It'd take some time to revamp the layout, but it'll work.
>
> The nice thing about this method is the data will not be hard-coded and will
> update automatically. However, the layout won't be as manageable as a word
> document.
>
> Good luck.
>

> sar...@umich.edu wrote:
> >Hello,
>
> >I have a form with many fields.  Some of the fields are combo boxes
> >based on value lists where the value list could have up to 5 different
> >choices.
>
> >Field Example: Incision Dimension (Value List: 2.0, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4)
>
> >I need a paper copy of the form that users can fill out.  Is there an
> >easy way to do this such that the fields which are combo boxes will be
> >presented with all the value list choices (i.e., Incision Dimension
> >(2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) so the user is aware of all the choices and
> >perhaps circles the relevant one?
>
> >I know I could print the form but it would not capture the value
> >options in these combo boxes.
> >I know I could make a form in Word or Excel but hoping I can avoid
> >having to do that.
>
> >Thanks for you help.

That's a good idea.  Thank you.  I will try it.

-S

0
sargum

Report based on form filter?
Hello, I have a form with Multiple fields filter based on and event procedure where I can filter multiple combo fields. I would like to print a report after the filtered fields, but not sure how to like what is the control source etc.. Any help is appreciated. Here is my sample form filter event procedure. Private Sub cmdFilter_Click() Dim strWhere As String Dim lngLen As Long If Not IsNull(Me.cboMach) Then strWhere = strWhere & "([Mach] = '" & Me.cboMach & "') AND " End If I...

How do I print an invitation on 5x5 size paper?
I want to print an invitation on card stock that measures 5.25" by 5.25". How do I print? Printer only wants to print standard size paper. Can you setup custom size stock on your printer? Most printers these days are capable of custom sizes. What version Publisher are you using? If you are using Publisher 2007, after you setup your printer for custom size, File, Page setup, Advanced (on the right), type 5.25 width 5.25 height. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A90DD897-BF13-418B-8B40-FE7C78B4E...

Pre-Cut Paper
I have pre-cut paper that I want a b-day printed on. When I go into publisher 2007 and I set the page up to 5 x 7 when you go into the print view its on a 8 1/2 x 11. How do I have the page just 5x7 so that when it printers its not printing incorrectly. I want it to be just like when you set up a page in word. Not all of this extra space when you print? Nikki wrote: > I have pre-cut paper that I want a b-day printed on. When I go into publisher > 2007 and I set the page up to 5 x 7 when you go into the print view its on a > 8 1/2 x 11. How do I have the page just 5x7 so that ...

Data Migration 12-07-05
Does the data migration framework from CRM1.2 work for 3.0 and/or is their one for 3.0 Hi Robert! "Robert" wrote > Does the data migration framework from CRM1.2 work for 3.0 and/or is their > one for 3.0 DMF 1.2 will not work with 3.0. Microsoft has postponed the release of the DMF for 3.0. See the Mail from Kyla: > You are correct; the release of the DMF was recently pushed out/postponed > until about 90 days after GA. It was original expected that it would > release closer to the GA release. The delay is in part due to additional > work that needs to be on t...

How to remove Old values from a pivot (data dimension)
I have a pivot sheet referring to a dataset where I have period which i want to have as a data set. now was that for example 200511. I deleted that info and now only have other values there like 200601 or so but in the dropdown box of the period ( data column) this old value 200511 is still there I can't get ride of it ( in the dropdown) not even after refreshing the pivot. How do i make sure that values which are not in the Datasource anymore are being removed from all dropdown boxes (page, row as data) Regards, Linda Monincx Hi Linda On the PT, drag the field off the PT, use th...

interpolating beyon data points
I have ploted data that I have, and fitted a curve to the data, now I would like to interpolate a result beyond the fitted curve. Is there a method in Excel to do this. I know that you cannot go too far with out lossing accuracy, but that is ok. If by "fitted a curve to the data" you mean added a trendline to the graph, format the trendline to display the equation. Jerry Austin wrote: > I have ploted data that I have, and fitted a curve to the > data, now I would like to interpolate a result beyond the > fitted curve. Is there a method in Excel to do this. I >...

Data Validation List #5
I have several lists that I would like to put into drop down boxes. I tried going to data>validation and then chose list (and select my list) and no drop down box shows up. This is strange since if I go to a new sheet and do the same thing I can create a list. Any ideas why I can get it to work with my existing sheet? Thanks! A couple of thoughts Make sure that you have the 'In-cell dropdown box checked in the Data>Validation>Settings tab. In Tools>Options, View tab, under 'Objects' make sure the 'Hide All' box is not checked. -- HTH RP (remove n...

paper
paper ...

How can I read data from SQL Tables for CRM?
Hello, I am new to CRM. I am trying to read the encrypted data in CRM database for example SalesOrderBase table, some of the fields are encrypted, is there a way to decrypt the data in those field and display in SQL Reports? Thanks, Meg, Data is not encrypted in the Salesorderbase table. Which fields are you referring to? However for SQL reports you should be using FilteredViews and not access the tables directly. For salesorder use the FilteredSalesorder View. More details on Report writing and adding filters can be found in the SDK which can be downloaded from here: http://www.mic...

Copying cell formatting and data validation in protected worksheet
I have a worksheet that has several auto-calculated columns that I would like to protect to prevent users from entering values. On the other hand, users should be able to copy the last row to create additional rows for entries. When I protect the sheet and copy the row, all the values calculated from formulas paste as fixed values and the data validation rules (selection dropdowns) disappear. I've tried not marking the cells with the formulas as "locked" in the cell format dialog, but it seems to make no difference. Using events to prevent users from selecting the cells that they...

Paper Sources
Hiya, We have printers with multiple trays which are configured for their specific paper type; tray 2 is headed, tray 4 is plain etc. These settings are configured in Word, so first page is Letterhead and other pages are Plain. This all seems to work OK using a PCL6 printer set as the default, but if a user's default printer is a PostScript one, Word changes the paper source to be auto select for page 1 and Color (!!!!) for other pages? Any ideas? Thanks ...

Returned: Copying a formula horizontally, the source data is verti
I need help figuring out how to copy a formula horzontally on one tab while the source data resides on a different tab vertically. Can't use copy/paste special/transpose, because the links have to be dynamic. Gord Dibben suggested using the INDEX function. But this only worked when I was working on the extreme left column. However, if I try to reference a column, say column F, which is 5 columns over the formula starts looking at the 5th data point down in the column. So If I want to start the formula in F:1, it will actually start in F:5. Is there a way to change that? Or is...

SQL Report using data from Multiple GP Companies
Is it possible to create a SQL Reporting Services report that will pull the same fields of data from more than one GP company? For instance, we have a customer that would like to pull Fixed Asset information from multiple GP companies. (Asset ID, Asset Description, Original Life in Years, Placed in Service Date, Cost Basis, Accumulated Depreciation, Net Book Value). I would assume you would have to create a data connections for each GP Company. But then would you create a separate table on the report for each company? Or would you use subreports? Just wondering if anyone has done it and...

Daily Racing Form: Horse racing
10 aug 06 1459 hrs. Greetings.. I am new to site..and to the use of Excel. I have recently started putting information from the "Daily Racing Form" into an Excel spreadsheet. I will use this data to work out simple and later complex formulas for extracting desired data. I have made cells long enough to hold each field, and there will be a weekly entry. What I don't understand is how I will search each date for a particular horse. It seems the formula could get lengthy. How would I tell the program to search all the entries to a particular "line"?, or do I just give ea...

Custom data validation problem
I would like to validate cells according to the following rule ... The cell can contain the following: A single zero "0" or a single period "." or a string of any length consisting of the letters R, W, B, L Eg all the following are valid 0 .. rrr bbbbb bbrrl l wrbblllrrrrbbbbbb The following are invalid 00 0r rrrbbbh ..rbl Is this possible using a custom validation? Thanks in advance. Neil How about: Data|Validation|Custom: formula is: =OR(A1=0,A1="0",A1=".", SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(lower(A1),"r",""),&qu...

O.T. Paper ?
Now that I've gotten help on getting Publisher all setup...I need some suggestions on paper. I am using Epson presentation paper (previously called photo quality ink jet paper) It works absolutely perfectly for the publication but is only avail. in packs of 100. I need at least 1000 sheets or more...and at a lower price than what I can get from Epson. I've heard there are Epson equivalents but thus far cannot find any. Thanks http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/search.do?searchtype=simple&catg=1&simplesearchfor=photo+paper&simpleitemtype=0 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP htt...

data ~ get external data
I have an Excel spreadsheet in Office 2000 for which a query was added using a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 data source (I asked it to create this datasource, and then entered the database server name and SQL table name to display). I told the query to 'return results back into Excel', and it did this at the row and column specified. Data can then be refreshed at will, and I can even go back in to edit the query and change its parameters. However, for some reason after closing and re-opening the spreadsheet a number of times I can no longer edit the query. When doing a DATA ~ GET EXTERN...

Sync of private data
I'm a long time user of Outlook and it's the primary tool I use to keep organized. I keep personal and business appointments, contacts and tasks in Outlook and I sync that data with my BlackBerry. Currently, my company does not use a company calendar, but we may start using Exchange. If so, I would like to prevent private data from being synced with Exchange. Specifically, I'm OK with the "private" functionality for contacts and tasks. But for appointments, I'd like to be able to: - share the appointment normally, such as a business appointment - show the time as ...

custom paper size problem
I have to create a custom envelope size for a client. I know how to do it via the windows printers dialogs. That's no biggie. But when I distribute the client mdb out to his workstations, do I need to (or have him do it) create the same one on each workstation or is there code I can write in ms access (2k) that can create a new printer form (I've searched and cannot find anything)? I can see that if we have to do this manually it's going to be a problem every time they set up a new machine. Thanks, Keith Never mind. As I work on this part of this project I'm realizing that...

Need macro to allow me to go out into another excel file and copy and bring data back..
Hi, I'm looking to have a macro that I've started (below) to allow me to go out to a file that is always in the same location with the same name and copy information from it and bring it back into the file I was originally in. The file from which I want to get the information from is updated automatically every 24 hours from data dumped into it from our MRP system. The macro is to be stored in my "personal.xls" file. The problem is that the original file name is always different. So how can I make the macro come back to this file that has a different name each time to pas...

help with macro to save repeating data entry
hello have the following 4 fields in excel f1 f2 f3 f4 A 2 9 B 3 8 A 2 9 n 4 6 A 2 9 what i need is a macro that when a user enters a value in the first record for eg, no 44 in f4, I need the macro to search thru all remaining records which have the same value as that in the data entry, (in this eg, A 2 9) and populate the f4 field with the same value being 44 f1 f2 f3 f4 A 2 9 44 B 3 8 A 2 9 44 n 4 6 A 2 9 44 hope u can help tom ...

Assignement Data Different on Task Usage from Resource Usage View
Hi Project Server Users, We are using PS 07 SP2 Aug09 MS CU. I know I saw data on this issue, but have not been able to find it. We are seeing different assignement data on the Task Usage view from Resource Usage view for resources We are not using the Load Summary Resource Assignments option. I would appreciated pointing me to the data on this issue. Thanks, On May 12, 11:35=A0am, BruceFFIC <breyn...@ffic.com> wrote: > Hi Project Server Users, > > We are using PS 07 SP2 Aug09 MS CU. > > I know I saw data on this issue, but have not been able to ...

determining the data source
Hi, I have some excel pivot tables written by someone else and I want to know where it's getting the data. Is there any way to figure that out? I need to determine which Access database, what tables, and what values from the table/s. Thanks. Henry Henry wrote: > Hi, > > I have some excel pivot tables written by someone else and I want to > know where it's getting the data. Is there any way to figure that > out? I need to determine which Access database, what tables, and what > values from the table/s. Thanks. > > Henry Open up the wizard for the table ...

To change the tab color in forms
I am new to the CRM version 3.0 i want to change the background color of tab & text color also Hi: AFAIK there is no supported way to do this. John. This message sent from Windows Vista! "mady" <mady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA664EFD-4183-4121-A1EF-4A1B857F72C9@microsoft.com... >I am new to the CRM version 3.0 > i want to change the background color of tab & text color also ....but there's a couple of unsupported ways. You can apply the style you want in the onload event. The tab id's are numbered from zero to 7: tab0Tab...

Opening a Form On Same Record
What is the syntax to open a single record form from a form that has a list box and has the same record source as the underlying form. The ID field is ContactID. I want to be able to move among the records on the single record form. Thanks, James You should use a combobox instead of a listbox, as the combobox has the AutoExpand feature. This allows you to start typing info into the combobox and it will go to the first record that matches. First you must have your form set up to display the record you want to retrieve, i.e. you must have controls set up with the appropriate Control Sources ...