option groups 11-28-07

I want to put an option group on a form and have the results be recorded in
my table as text. What should I do in order to convert the number values to
associated text options? I tried using a field list table that held all my
options, but I can't figure out how to get the display to show the text
options. If your answer includes using a query, explain how to set it up, as
I'm not too good with queries.

noe1818

If you've got a table that translates the numeric value to a text
description, why do you care? Store the number, and join the two tables in a
query.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"noe1818 via AccessMonster.com" <u39419@uwe> wrote in message
>I want to put an option group on a form and have the results be recorded in
> my table as text. What should I do in order to convert the number values
> associated text options? I tried using a field list table that held all my
> options, but I can't figure out how to get the display to show the text
> options. If your answer includes using a query, explain how to set it up,
> as
> I'm not too good with queries.

Douglas
11/28/2007 8:36:12 PM
How do you create a table that translates numbers to texts?

noe1818
11/30/2007 12:42:52 AM
NumericValue  TextValue
1                         Something
2                         Something else
3                         Yet something else

--

> How do you create a table that translates numbers to texts?

Douglas
11/30/2007 12:01:45 PM
I don't understand what this means? Are these two tables, or stuff in one
table? How do you get the text values to appear in the table. I'm really lost.

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>NumericValue  TextValue
>1                         Something
>2                         Something else
>3                         Yet something else
>
>> How do you create a table that translates numbers to texts?

noe1818
11/30/2007 2:28:59 PM
That's one table with two fields. One field contains the numeric value, the
other field contains the text. You key both pieces of information into the
table.

Your original question was "I want to put an option group on a form and have
the results be recorded in my table as text. What should I do in order to
convert the number values to associated text options?"

Once you're created the table below that indicates what the text is
corresponding to each option group value, you'd store the numeric value in
your existing table, rather than text. You'd then create a query that joins
your existing table to the table below on the NumericValue so that your
query can display the TextValue for each row in the existing table. You'd
then use that query anywhere you would otherwise have used the table.

--

>I don't understand what this means? Are these two tables, or stuff in one
> table? How do you get the text values to appear in the table. I'm really
> lost.
>

> Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>>NumericValue  TextValue
>>1                         Something
>>2                         Something else
>>3                         Yet something else
>>
>>> How do you create a table that translates numbers to texts?

Douglas
11/30/2007 2:36:31 PM
I FINALLY UNDERSTAND!!!! It took me awile, but I figured it out, thank you so
much. I have read your suggestions in many other threads, and I appreciate
the fact you want to help people like me.
-Noe

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>That's one table with two fields. One field contains the numeric value, the
>other field contains the text. You key both pieces of information into the
>table.
>
>Your original question was "I want to put an option group on a form and have
>the results be recorded in my table as text. What should I do in order to
>convert the number values to associated text options?"
>
>Once you're created the table below that indicates what the text is
>corresponding to each option group value, you'd store the numeric value in
>your existing table, rather than text. You'd then create a query that joins
>your existing table to the table below on the NumericValue so that your
>query can display the TextValue for each row in the existing table. You'd
>then use that query anywhere you would otherwise have used the table.
>
>>I don't understand what this means? Are these two tables, or stuff in one
>> table? How do you get the text values to appear in the table. I'm really
>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

noe1818
11/30/2007 3:32:04 PM
I'm sorry Mr.Douglas,
I want to use radio button option group.
Then, I use wizard to create the option group,
but if I define which field will store the value of
option group,the group then become disable in
my form.What's wrong with that?.
Thank's before

> That's one table with two fields. One field contains the numeric value,
the
> other field contains the text. You key both pieces of information into the
> table.
>
> Your original question was "I want to put an option group on a form and
have
> the results be recorded in my table as text. What should I do in order to
> convert the number values to associated text options?"
>
> Once you're created the table below that indicates what the text is
> corresponding to each option group value, you'd store the numeric value in
> your existing table, rather than text. You'd then create a query that
joins
> your existing table to the table below on the NumericValue so that your
> query can display the TextValue for each row in the existing table. You'd
> then use that query anywhere you would otherwise have used the table.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "noe1818 via AccessMonster.com" <u39419@uwe> wrote in message
> >I don't understand what this means? Are these two tables, or stuff in one
> > table? How do you get the text values to appear in the table. I'm really
> > lost.
> >

> > Douglas J. Steele wrote:
> >>NumericValue  TextValue
> >>1                         Something
> >>2                         Something else
> >>3                         Yet something else

> > --

New_Access

Why No "Format Cells" Choice Option Always ?
Hello, Using Excel 2007. When I select a Column of numbers, I usually see a choice for "Format Cells" At other times, for different Columns (also with numbers in the cells, I do not get the Format Cells choice. All that shows up as being selectable are: Cut, Copy, Clear Contents Why might this be ? Thanks ...

RMS matrix attribute option
Adding an existing item in the RMS 2.0.0114 matrix with 219 attributes and 826 items and saving it takes about 2 hours to complete (using Windows XP SP2 Pentium D 3.0 Ghz with 2 G RAM). Since the backend is SQL Server, we don’t see any reason for the application not to support matrix records of this size, considering that the Item has 219 attributes and 826 items only. I think it would be better if RMS has the option not to load the existing attributes for the dropdown list. Just enable the addition of new dimensions. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Micro...

What print settings should I use for 4 per pg postcards in Pub'07
What print settings should I use for 4 per page, postcards in Publisher 2007. Multiple pages per sheet. Use one of the Avery US Postcard templates if you are designing your own postcards. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "MarkatSac" <MarkatSac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB4CD4BB-21BB-4434-B747-E93A32D6074A@microsoft.com... > What print settings should I use for 4 per page, postcards in Publisher 2007. ...

combining two groups into one
I upgraded to Outlook 2003 and pulled over the Inbox from "old" Outlook. Now, somehow, I have two groups in my OL 2003 Inbox - one that has all my old messages from Ols OL and a new one with any messages since the upgrade. Strangely, both groups indicate they use the same e-mail account - all the account settings are identical. But only the "newer" group actually receives any new messages. The "old" OL inbox group does not receive the new messages. If I try - out of despiration and confusion - to delete the "new" group, it will be deleted, but...

Server for Update 11.2.5 not foound
I've ben trying for about a week to download the Office 11.2.5 update (English) but keep the a "Server cannot be found" error message. Any insights as to why? Many thanks. I don't know how you've been trying but this seems to work with no problem: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ Use the links on the right side of the page. -- HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac "RobinMN" <robin@bitstream.net> wrote in message news:1156793767.752043.235790@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > I've ben trying for about a week to download the Office 11.2.5 update ...

Why is redirect rule absent from my rules and alerts options?
Outlook 2003 help at <http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA011502011033.aspx?pid=CH063564671033> offers a choice of either forwarding or redirecting mail. I want to redirect mail to a webmail address to access it more easily while travelling. Redirect suits me better than forwarding, as forwarded mail all appears to come from me (i.e. original sender is not visible until mail is opened -- bit inconvenient). The forwarding option/s are visible among the checkboxes under 'Rules and alerts' but there is no sign of the 'Redirect it to people or distribution list&#...

outlook calendar #11
Hello all. We have a user that receives email indicating that 2 of his intended recipients did not receive their messages: From: System Administrator Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 9:10 AM To: Hansen Kristen; Layne Pauline Subject: Undeliverable:Accepted: Updated: UNIT MEETING: w/Origin & Cause Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Accepted: Updated: UNIT MEETING: w/Origin & Cause Sent: 5/27/2005 9:10 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Hansen Kristen on 5/27/2005 9:10 AM The e-mail account do...

Tools,Options, Email Options, AdvancedE-mail Options,
Hi, Windows XP, Outlook 2003, Desktop Alert stop popup, When it check in - Tools,Options, Email Options, AdvancedE-mail Options, It supposed to be "Preview" option, its not , In "When new item arrive in my Inbox" all the option mark, But when new mail arrived Desktop Alert not popup, What could be the problem Thank you & Bets Regards, Yakov Do you have a rule set to move messages? If you do then you need to add showing the Desktop Alert to that rule. "Yakov" <Yakov@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:304C2EEA-5839-47B1-A737-475921A51D...

Options okn Tools Menu
I have a user who is using Excel 97. When he goes to the menu bar and selects Tools then Options, the Options chioce is there but when you clck on it it does nothing. Has anyone had this issue before and if so how can I get his Options functionality back? Excel and Office has been uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Maybe this is it: XL97: Page Fault or Violation When You Click Options on the Tools Menu http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;108032 sounds like it describes your Tools|Options problem (it says it was corrected in xl97 SR2). Ron Davidson wrote:...

Power options issue 06-24-10
When I click on Control Panel and then Power Options and set turn off monitor to 20 minutes and turn off hard drive to 20 minutes nothing happens. However if I change those settings to turn off monitor to 1 minute and turn off hard drive to 3 minutes it works every time. I do not know what the problem is or how to correct it, so any help would be greatly appreciated. You should also know that no changes to my system have been made since this problem started happening. The turn off cannot be executed until the computer is not running anything for the amount of time you selec...

KB907747
FYI. ...

IMAP Status
In O2003, IMAP, Inbox, there is a default view called "Group Messages Marked for Deletion". The view groups the message marked and not marked for deletion by using this field (IMAP Status) in the Group By box. I tried to locate this "IMAP Status" field but cannot locate it. I looked through all the available fields but cannot locate it. Does anyone know where it is located? Shawn ...

Multiple SCOPE_IDENTITY 11-19-09
Can I use multiple SCOPE_IDENTITY() in the same stored procedure or is there a better way? I have a stored procedure that will create a new row in 2 tables and both tables have identity columns. The first INSERT will add a record to a People table and then set a variable to the SCOPE_IDENTITY() for use in the INSERT of the 2nd table. Then the 2nd table will return the SCOPE_IDENTITY of the 2nd table. Thanks. David Yes you can check Scope_Identity() after each insert for the proper value. -- Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP Solid Quality Mentors "David C" <...

Change printing options based on tender types
I have curerntly setup our POS registers to automotically print 40-column receipts and to prompt the user for whether or not to print a large 80-column invoice. However, I would like to have large invoices automatically print for all charge account tenders. Is there a way to specify the print behavior based on the tender type for the transaction? Thanks, Paul Arenson Anderson Plywood Sales, Culver City, CA not without an add-in. Seems like someone posted something about that within the last few weeks - try searching the newsgroup. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://ww...

Verions 11???
Has anyone heard a release date for the next version of GP? Version 10 was released over a year ago. ...

Exchange Disaster recovery Group
Hi, Have successfully been to restore a mailbox using the Exchange Disaster Recovery Group. Have dismounted the database, can I now delete the database from the RSG and all the associated files from the folder on the drive? Thanks, Abhi Yes. If you are done with the Recovery Storage Group, simply dismount the database, then delete the database and Recovery Storage Group from System Manager, and delete the associated files on your drive. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Abhi" &...

Remove Marketing and Service Option from Left Nav Bar
When the only entity selected in a security role is Account access, we would like the options for Marketing and Service not to be seen in the left hand Nav bar. -- Thanks, Justin ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutio...

AP Trail Balance should have option to select by due date
I believe the AP Aged Trial Balance could be enhanced to allow to select transactions by a due date range. That way the report will provide a list of invoices that a due within a specific due date range. I have a clinet that has requested this functionality. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click ...

Adding on Option to an Option Group
I have created a form to give a report of 3 tables and give the user the ability to sort on a column by checking the check box on the header. I had to add another field to one of the tables and now need to add this to the option group.. how? Thanks Sue Found it - for others, you need to add the field to the record source for the form, then with the option group selected, open the field list and drag the new field onto the option group (at least I hope that is it) Sue (Sometimes it actually pays off to have a stack of books over a foot high on Access) "Design by Sue" wrote...

Insert options
I've recently been "upgraded" to Office 2010 from Office 2003 and find the "Ribbon" interface really horrible. A good example is in Excel. In Excel 2003 if I wanted to insert a row or column it was simple. Go to the insert menu and select either rows or columns. To do the same task in Excel 2010 the logical place to go is the "Insert" ribbon. This lets me insert lots of things, but none of them are rows or columns. To do that I have to go to the "Home" ribbon and then there is an Insert button from where I can insert rows or columns. I thought one ...

How to revalue an option buttons
Hi, I have option group in from to add values in table. These options use to add a percentage to the table. The first one has 50% labels; the second one has 55% and so on to 100%. The problem is when I retype the value of each option from 1 to 0.50 the value returns to 0. Can any body help me revaluing the value of each option? Thanks!! Check the field type, if its Long or Integer it will round the number and 0.5 will turn into 0. Change the field type to Double or Single -- Good Luck BS"D "Jon" wrote: > Hi, > I have option group in from to add values in table...

data validation
Is it possible to create a similar function like data validation, from which I can select multiple options? (Background: I need a list of many names, from which I case by case can select). Not really. Maybe you could use a listbox. I added a listbox from the Forms toolbar to a worksheet. I called it "List Box 1". I rightclicked on that listbox and chose Format Control. On the Control tab, I chose Selection Type of Multi. I also pointed at the range that held the values that go in that listbox. Then I added a button from the Forms toolbar (I click the button when I'm d...

Counting 11-02-07
I have a database that I would like to create a table that would allow me to added document and page information. I would like to know how I can do vba or query to do this: 000001 000002 000003 000004 So I would want to have those numbers increment by one for each pay I have of images. Is there anyone out there that can help me? How are you putting data into your table? "lauriecking@gmail.com" wrote: > I have a database that I would like to create a table that would allow > me to added document and page information. I would like to know how I > can do vba or query to...

Validation Options with option List
Good morning! i have set up an validation list option in Excel so i can choose what option to pick. For example, i can choose test1, test2 and/or test3. But what i want to try to do is when i choose one of the options test1,test2 and/or test3 i want for those options different fields like for example: Test1 this is the text of data for test1 When i choose the option Test2 i want the text or data cleared for test1 and see the text for option 2. I hope you can help me with this problem, thanks in advanced! Edo -- EdoZwart ---------------------------------------------------------------...

Service Calendar 06-24-07
Is there a way way to tweak the view to hide off (non business hours) from view? Globally? These off hours just add clutter to the schedule. -- Steve ...