Multiple date parameters

I have three queries: MonthlyAll, MonthlyShows, and MonthlySpots.

My main form is built off of MonthlyAll.  It's main purpose is to provide a
list of cities in a single form view, so that I can scroll through the cities
and view the corresponding data.

The main form contains two subforms: MonthlyShows and MonthlySpots.  The
subforms are linked to the main form by city and display the respective shows
and spots by date.

My question seems simple enough: Upon opening the form, I would like to type
in a single date range ("Between [] And []"); and view only those shows and
spots in each city.

When I add "Between [] And []" criteria to MonthlyShows and MonthlySpots, it
prompts me for the date range twice.  Then, once the main form is opened, if
I try to scoll to the next city (ie the next record), it prompts me for the
date criteria two more times, once for each subform.

How can I simplify this so that I only enter the date criteria one time when
I open the form?  Is this possible?

(I tried using the solution in the thread "Multiple Date Parameters...
Simplify" but I could not get it to work.)

My only other option is setting the date criteria on both MonthlyShows and
MonthlySpots to 1/1/07 to 1/31/07 and naming the main form "January".  Then
creating a form for each month thereafter.  But that seems like a lot of
unnecessary work.

Thanks for your help!

Add two textbox controls to your form.  Have one be for "FromDate" and the
other "ToDate".

Modify the queries underlying your two subforms.  In the Selection Criterion
"cell" under the date field, use:

    Between Forms!YourMainForm!FromDate And Forms!YourMainForm!ToDate

(your actual names/syntax will vary).

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"tarheelkate" <tarheelkate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have three queries: MonthlyAll, MonthlyShows, and MonthlySpots.
>
> My main form is built off of MonthlyAll.  It's main purpose is to provide
> list of cities in a single form view, so that I can scroll through the
> cities
> and view the corresponding data.
>
> The main form contains two subforms: MonthlyShows and MonthlySpots.  The
> subforms are linked to the main form by city and display the respective
> shows
> and spots by date.
>
> My question seems simple enough: Upon opening the form, I would like to
> type
> in a single date range ("Between [] And []"); and view only those shows
> and
> spots in each city.
>
> When I add "Between [] And []" criteria to MonthlyShows and MonthlySpots,
> it
> prompts me for the date range twice.  Then, once the main form is opened,
> if
> I try to scoll to the next city (ie the next record), it prompts me for
> the
> date criteria two more times, once for each subform.
>
> How can I simplify this so that I only enter the date criteria one time
> when
> I open the form?  Is this possible?
>
> (I tried using the solution in the thread "Multiple Date Parameters...
> Simplify" but I could not get it to work.)
>
> My only other option is setting the date criteria on both MonthlyShows and
> MonthlySpots to 1/1/07 to 1/31/07 and naming the main form "January".
> Then
> creating a form for each month thereafter.  But that seems like a lot of
> unnecessary work.
>
> Thanks for your help!

0
Jeff
5/2/2007 11:20:25 PM
Thanks for all your help. I'm still relatively new to this, so I'm requesting
come clarification. (And probably asking some stupid questions along the
way)...

When you say add two textbox controls, do I need to add them to my originial
MontlyAll table... then to my MonthlyAll query... and then they'll show up in
my field list and I can add them to my form?

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Add two textbox controls to your form.  Have one be for "FromDate" and the
> other "ToDate".
>
> Modify the queries underlying your two subforms.  In the Selection Criterion
> "cell" under the date field, use:
>
>     Between Forms!YourMainForm!FromDate And Forms!YourMainForm!ToDate
>
> (your actual names/syntax will vary).
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> "tarheelkate" <tarheelkate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have three queries: MonthlyAll, MonthlyShows, and MonthlySpots.
> >
> > My main form is built off of MonthlyAll.  It's main purpose is to provide
> > list of cities in a single form view, so that I can scroll through the
> > cities
> > and view the corresponding data.
> >
> > The main form contains two subforms: MonthlyShows and MonthlySpots.  The
> > subforms are linked to the main form by city and display the respective
> > shows
> > and spots by date.
> >
> > My question seems simple enough: Upon opening the form, I would like to
> > type
> > in a single date range ("Between [] And []"); and view only those shows
> > and
> > spots in each city.
> >
> > When I add "Between [] And []" criteria to MonthlyShows and MonthlySpots,
> > it
> > prompts me for the date range twice.  Then, once the main form is opened,
> > if
> > I try to scoll to the next city (ie the next record), it prompts me for
> > the
> > date criteria two more times, once for each subform.
> >
> > How can I simplify this so that I only enter the date criteria one time
> > when
> > I open the form?  Is this possible?
> >
> > (I tried using the solution in the thread "Multiple Date Parameters...
> > Simplify" but I could not get it to work.)
> >
> > My only other option is setting the date criteria on both MonthlyShows and
> > MonthlySpots to 1/1/07 to 1/31/07 and naming the main form "January".
> > Then
> > creating a form for each month thereafter.  But that seems like a lot of
> > unnecessary work.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!

A bit of Access terminology (or jargon ... <g>).  In Access, the things in
tables are fields (the SQL folks call them columns).  The things in forms
(and reports) that show what's in the tables (and other stuff) are called
controls.

So my earlier suggestion was to open your form in design view and add the
two new controls, NEITHER of which connect to any table fields.  They will
be temporary buckets into which you'll add data parameters.

> [...]
>> > prompts me for the date range twice.  Then, once the main form is
>> > opened,
>> > if
>> > I try to scoll to the next city (ie the next record), it prompts me for
>> > the
>> > date criteria two more times, once for each subform.
>> >
>> > How can I simplify this so that I only enter the date criteria one time
>> > when
>> > I open the form?  Is this possible?
>> >
>> > (I tried using the solution in the thread "Multiple Date Parameters...
>> > Simplify" but I could not get it to work.)
>> >
>> > My only other option is setting the date criteria on both MonthlyShows
>> > and
>> > MonthlySpots to 1/1/07 to 1/31/07 and naming the main form "January".
>> > Then
>> > creating a form for each month thereafter.  But that seems like a lot

0
Jeff
5/4/2007 11:20:01 PM
I hate that I'm a newbie and just don't seem to be getting this... I really
do appreciate your patience.

I tried adding two text controls (thanks for the jargon). But when I open
the MonthlyAll form, it does not prompt for dates.  There is, in fact, no
data at all in the subforms.  The two text controls show up as "#Name?".

When I open MonthlySpots and MonthlyShows independently, it prompts me
"Forms!MonthlyAll!FromDate", so it seems like I did at least one step
correctly.

Thanks again for your help.

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> A bit of Access terminology (or jargon ... <g>).  In Access, the things in
> tables are fields (the SQL folks call them columns).  The things in forms
> (and reports) that show what's in the tables (and other stuff) are called
> controls.
>
> So my earlier suggestion was to open your form in design view and add the
> two new controls, NEITHER of which connect to any table fields.  They will
> be temporary buckets into which you'll add data parameters.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> "tarheelkate" <tarheelkate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for all your help. I'm still relatively new to this, so I'm
> > requesting
> > come clarification. (And probably asking some stupid questions along the
> > way)...
> >
> > When you say add two textbox controls, do I need to add them to my
> > originial
> > MontlyAll table... then to my MonthlyAll query... and then they'll show up
> > in
> > my field list and I can add them to my form?
> >
> > "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
> >
> >> Add two textbox controls to your form.  Have one be for "FromDate" and
> >> the
> >> other "ToDate".
> >>
> >> Modify the queries underlying your two subforms.  In the Selection
> >> Criterion
> >> "cell" under the date field, use:
> >>
> >>     Between Forms!YourMainForm!FromDate And Forms!YourMainForm!ToDate
> >>
> >> (your actual names/syntax will vary).
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Jeff Boyce
> >> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> >>
> >> "tarheelkate" <tarheelkate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

When "#Name" shows, Access is telling you that something is spelled
differently that it expects.  Or that the control is bound to a table field
that it doesn't recognize.  Click on one of the new controls.  Select
properties.  If there's anything in the Control Source property, delete
it... the two controls need to be unbound.

Next, I hadn't realized that you wanted the FORM to prompt you for a date.
The approach I offered requires you to enter dates in the two fields (if you
wish to), before running the query.

The queries will not "find" the date values unless the form is open and
dates are in the From and To controls.

And if I left it out last time, add a command button to your form that runs
the report (based on the query, based on the form's From/To values).

Good luck!

>I hate that I'm a newbie and just don't seem to be getting this... I really
> do appreciate your patience.
>
> I tried adding two text controls (thanks for the jargon). But when I open
> the MonthlyAll form, it does not prompt for dates.  There is, in fact, no
> data at all in the subforms.  The two text controls show up as "#Name?".
>
> When I open MonthlySpots and MonthlyShows independently, it prompts me
> "Forms!MonthlyAll!FromDate", so it seems like I did at least one step
> correctly.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> A bit of Access terminology (or jargon ... <g>).  In Access, the things
>> in
>> tables are fields (the SQL folks call them columns).  The things in forms
>> (and reports) that show what's in the tables (and other stuff) are called
>> controls.
>>
>> So my earlier suggestion was to open your form in design view and add the
>> two new controls, NEITHER of which connect to any table fields.  They
>> will
>> be temporary buckets into which you'll add data parameters.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>
>> "tarheelkate" <tarheelkate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for all your help. I'm still relatively new to this, so I'm
>> > requesting
>> > come clarification. (And probably asking some stupid questions along
>> > the
>> > way)...
>> >
>> > When you say add two textbox controls, do I need to add them to my
>> > originial
>> > MontlyAll table... then to my MonthlyAll query... and then they'll show
>> > up
>> > in
>> > my field list and I can add them to my form?

0
Jeff

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Charting multiple multiples

Date Formatting problem #2
I have a excel (professional xp). I have a problem formatting a text field into a date field. When I format the field nothing happens, until I double click on the field and then it formats. The problem is that I have over 8000 lines and I can't do this for every field. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Rick Rick Enter 1 in a blank cell and copy it. Highlight the 'dates' and Edit>Paste special...>Values+Multiply. With them still highlighted, reformat them as Date (Format>Cells...Number.Date). Don't worry that they all look like numbers before formatting....

Role of baseAddress Parameter in UriTemplate.Match Method
I have been writing some samples with the UriTemplate class. I have noticed that the baseAddress parameter does not have to match the URI scheme in the candidate parameter in order to obtain a non-null UriTemplateMatch on return. If this is the case, what is the role of the baseAddress parameter? Thank you, EagleRed ...

Date in the query is always short date
I want to capture the LONG date from a query, so I create a parameter for the date (mm ddd yy) . In its properties, it's format is long date, BUT it always shows up the short date. WHY? Dates are stored as decimal number counting days from 12/31/1899 midnight with time as the decimal fraction of a day. Formats are just different ways to display the information. So you got to set the format. In design view of the query click the field of the grid that has the datetime field, right click, scroll down and select Properties. Click 'Format' and then in the pull down...

Changing the System Date
Hi there, can anyone tell me the code for changing the System date from the program. thanks >can anyone tell me the code for changing the System date >from the program. Try the SetSystemTime API. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq In article <ab0f01c43674$05e05270$a101280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi there, > > can anyone tell me the code for changing the System date > from the program. SetSystemTime changes the date. On NT-based systems, you'll have to enable the SE_SYSTEMTIME privilege before that can succee...

Counting dates with specific criteria
Hi, I have a column with various dates, I need some formulae to count different criteria. The criteria are: 1. Dates in the current month. 2. Dates last month. 3. dates in a calender year. 4. Dates in a financial year. Each criteria will be shown in seperate cells on a different worksheet on Excel 2003, also the current month is always the current month as we progress through the year. Thanks in advance, -- Steve Try these... 1. Dates in the current month. =SUMPRODUCT(--(TEXT(A2:A21,"myyyy")=TEXT(NOW(),"myyyy"))) 2. Dates last month. =SUMPRO...

Grouping mails by their date received
Hi there, I would like to group my mails on "Received" date so as to figure out my activities on a particular date. Microsoft Outlook 2K SR1 allows its users to format the columns the way they want and group mails by those columns (except columns with formula) When I customize the "Received" column with "mm/dd/yy" format and group by it, Outlook falls back to the original format ignoring my customization. This results in a useless view in which Outlook groups the mails upto minutes accuracy and ends up puting one mail on each group and creating as many groups ...

distributing data into multiple cells

date problem #10
Thanks a lot, Dave This piece of code works great. M P Redd -- mpredd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mpreddy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1327 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26358 ...

Single click selects multiple cells

Pass optional parameters to a method in a Dictionary (C#2.0) ?
Hi, We have some test code where we would want to invoke a method with optional parameters. In C# 4.0, I believe we could use named parameters, but we're using C# 2.0 I found a Dictionary solved my problem, but I'm not sure it's the best pattern for C# 2.0?. Could anyone please comment on whether or not there's a more appropriate pattern? Cheers artie EXAMPLE: public void AddToDatabase(Dictionary<string,object> fields) { string _surname = ""; string _city = ""; int _employeeId; if (fields.ContainsKey("...

Sending to multiple addresses

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

dates and formats
I am trying on one colum to have the dates 01/07/2008 (dd/mm/yy) right until 30/06/2008 but l just cannot get it to do this. What am l doing wrong. have typed dates in 2 cells the hage highlighted both boexs until + appears and drag down this stops at month 12. Please can some one assits me in this beofre l go crazy -- jd Enter an unambiguous startdate in say, A1: 01-Jul-2008. Just drag A1 down as far as required. It'll increment one day per row. Then only format the col in the date format that you want to taste. -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,00...

need an overdue date to highlight
trying to get conditional formatting to highlight a cell with an overdue date. Use formula is and =TODAY()>Date_Cell+30 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Sarge" <Sarge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54017345-A39A-4115-B70A-C199265BE3F0@microsoft.com... > trying to get conditional formatting to highlight a cell with an overdue date. ...

Accessing at runtime nested method's parameters values
Hi all, I have some C# code with nested method call and I would like during runtime to log on different level the values of method parameters (just like VS offers Debug-> Windows->Call Stack). Is it possible because StackTrace class does not seems to offer support of accessing parameters values, it support just paremeter types and names ? best regards, Milan. On 08-03-2010 12:43, Milan wrote: > I have some C# code with nested method call and I would like during runtime > to log on different level the values of method parameters (just like VS > offers Debu...