Missing something basic - Combobox updating table

Working with Access 2003.  I have a table of users, their phone numbers, and
job classes called tblUsers.  A query extracts that information into
qryUsers.  I have a form that uses the query as the record source called
frmUsers.  The form only contains a single combobox so someone can select the
user for which they wish to view data in other forms.  It works fine for the
first user on the list in the combobox.  Selecting any other user in the
combobox causes the first record in the table to change to that user's name.
For example:

The table and the query both contain:
Timmy
Bobby
Billy
Bubba

The form's combobox box initially displays the names in the order shown
above.  Selecting any name other than Timmy, changes Timmy's entry in the
table to Bobby or Billy or Bubba or whatever was selected.  Timmy's name then
no longer appears on the combobox list.

I have tried to lock the table's name column down to "no duplicates".  That
worked while the form is displayed and it prevented the name changes but when
the form is closed an error message appears that a duplicate entry was
detected and it was unable to update the table.

Also, tried changing the Allow Edits field in Properties to No but that
disabled the ability to select another name.

Apparently, I'm missing something very basic.  I only want the combobox to
display the names.  No editing should take place.  Any thoughts, suggestions,
or guidance will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sounds as though your combo box is bound to the form's underlying
recordsource. Based on what you're describing, the form itself probably
doesn't need to be bound, much less the combo box.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"DiverGuy" <DiverGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Working with Access 2003.  I have a table of users, their phone numbers,
> and
> job classes called tblUsers.  A query extracts that information into
> qryUsers.  I have a form that uses the query as the record source called
> frmUsers.  The form only contains a single combobox so someone can select
> the
> user for which they wish to view data in other forms.  It works fine for
> the
> first user on the list in the combobox.  Selecting any other user in the
> combobox causes the first record in the table to change to that user's
> name.
> For example:
>
> The table and the query both contain:
> Timmy
> Bobby
> Billy
> Bubba
>
> The form's combobox box initially displays the names in the order shown
> above.  Selecting any name other than Timmy, changes Timmy's entry in the
> table to Bobby or Billy or Bubba or whatever was selected.  Timmy's name
> then
> no longer appears on the combobox list.
>
> I have tried to lock the table's name column down to "no duplicates".
> That
> worked while the form is displayed and it prevented the name changes but
> when
> the form is closed an error message appears that a duplicate entry was
> detected and it was unable to update the table.
>
> Also, tried changing the Allow Edits field in Properties to No but that
> disabled the ability to select another name.
>
> Apparently, I'm missing something very basic.  I only want the combobox to
> display the names.  No editing should take place.  Any thoughts,
> suggestions,
> or guidance will be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

0
Douglas
12/29/2007 6:22:03 PM
Yep, that was it!  I removed the Control Source from the combobox's
properties and it started working as desired.  Knew it was something simple I
had overlooked.  Thanks for the help.

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> Sounds as though your combo box is bound to the form's underlying
> recordsource. Based on what you're describing, the form itself probably
> doesn't need to be bound, much less the combo box.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "DiverGuy" <DiverGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Working with Access 2003.  I have a table of users, their phone numbers,
> > and
> > job classes called tblUsers.  A query extracts that information into
> > qryUsers.  I have a form that uses the query as the record source called
> > frmUsers.  The form only contains a single combobox so someone can select
> > the
> > user for which they wish to view data in other forms.  It works fine for
> > the
> > first user on the list in the combobox.  Selecting any other user in the
> > combobox causes the first record in the table to change to that user's
> > name.
> > For example:
> >
> > The table and the query both contain:
> > Timmy
> > Bobby
> > Billy
> > Bubba
> >
> > The form's combobox box initially displays the names in the order shown
> > above.  Selecting any name other than Timmy, changes Timmy's entry in the
> > table to Bobby or Billy or Bubba or whatever was selected.  Timmy's name
> > then
> > no longer appears on the combobox list.
> >
> > I have tried to lock the table's name column down to "no duplicates".
> > That
> > worked while the form is displayed and it prevented the name changes but
> > when
> > the form is closed an error message appears that a duplicate entry was
> > detected and it was unable to update the table.
> >
> > Also, tried changing the Allow Edits field in Properties to No but that
> > disabled the ability to select another name.
> >
> > Apparently, I'm missing something very basic.  I only want the combobox to
> > display the names.  No editing should take place.  Any thoughts,
> > suggestions,
> > or guidance will be very much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,

many-to-many table setup?
I am having trouble figuring out how to set up tables/fields for the following problem. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I currently have three tables: tblIndividual IndID FirstName LastName tblAttendance (join table between the other two) AttendID AtIndID AtEventID tblEvent EventID EventName other event info I have been asked to include a field which would keep track of options each individual chooses for each event. Currently there are three options (receive newsletter, receive a call, join), but I can envision adding more in the future. ...

Missing files

Updated Junk email fiters list
Here is an updated Filtters.txt list for Outlook 2000 on this site and how to use the Junk Mail Filter in Outlook 2000. http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010450041033&C TT=6&Origin=EC010553071033 -- marx404 "mjh404" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:u9Lwb.2287$zu1.1375423@news2.news.adelphia.net... > Here is an updated Filtters.txt list for Outlook 2000 on this site and how > to use the Junk Mail Filter in Outlook 2000. > > http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010450041033&C > TT=6&...

Outlook 2007 Missing Mail

Automatic update
I would like to make an auto update so the user can get a newest version from my computer, but how can I copy exe files to user's directory and replace the old exe if this is in use. if I first try to delete "is in use" do I can't copy the new exe to user machine. pleas give an idea hoe to handle this, thanks in advance for your help, Eduardo Hello Eduardo, Thanks for your post. I'd like to share the following information with you: 1. When you fail to copy a file because the destination file is in use, I suggest that you can call MoveFileEx with MOVEFILE_DELAY_U...

Missing Emails #2
From time to time my users report that so-and-so sent them an email but they never got it. Last night my VP sent 2 emails from home and never got them. 1. We have Exchange 2000 server, all clients are Outlook 2. We have Symantec anti-virus for exchange server now I have checked the following: 1. in the Exchange logs [reading them in Excel] I can see the 2 messages arrive and seem to process normally -- HELO,MAIL, RCPT, DATA, QUIT are the 5 lines in the log; the datum on the HELO record says =+sccrmhc13.comcast.net. the Quit record as cs-uri-query of 240. 2. I have searched through...

MDI App,Worker Thread in CDocument, how to update the views
Hi All, I created a MDI Application with Document/View Architecture. The Data Objects in CDocument are updated from a Worker Thread which I am creating in OnNewDocument. How I can signal from WorkerThread the Document respectively all Views, when Datas are changed? Should work like this: WorkerThread---->(don't know what to do)---->CDocument.UpdateAllViews() I tried already the following code, but it is causing an assertion: static UINT WorkerThread(LPVOID Param) { CMyDoc* pDocument = (CMyDoc*)Param; pDocument->UpdateAllViews(); } BOOL CMyDoc::OnNewDocument() { AfxBegi...

Sort and sum data in a table
I have a table of names, with multiple entries of each name. Each name has 5 columns of data that needs to be summed up. If I use a pivot table, it does not allow me to have column A as the name, B the sum of column B, C the sum of C, etc. It forces the data into individual rows, which is not good. Is there a way to create a list of unique names, and then sum up each column of data for each of these names? Thanks in advance Tim, Perhaps you need to put the name header (column A) into the row area of the pivot table, and each of the B, C, etc., headers into the data area, for totals...

Missing Folders after Sync

Bin Transfer Entry window missing

automatically updating cells in other files
An employee asked me if he had 3 files each containing the same database. Is there anyway in which he can update the data by only keyboarding it into one file and have it automatically update the rest of files? Any help is appreciated. You can link cells by referencing them to a cell in another sheet or workbook. eg =[Book2]Sheet1!$A$1 -- Ian -- "Peter McCaul" <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e3TdK25vFHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > An employee asked me if he had 3 files each containing the same database. > Is there anyway in which he can update the ...

Shared subform table
I posted this problem several months back and although I received a lot of help on it, I wasn't able to get my problem resolved. I'm starting fresh now and would like to give it another shot. Here is my problem put as simply as possible: I'm working with three tables: "RMAGEN" fields are ID and Customer "OrderInfo" fields are ID and Customer "Products" fields are ID, OID, RID and ProductDescription *This is scaled down, but I can expand later. I just wan...

Use critical update
--ykruxkvbnkioug Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="qphimgpos"; type="multipart/alternative" --qphimgpos Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pgirtbao" --pgirtbao Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most se...

Missing Fonts in Word Art

IS it possible to get the Visual Basic Form to VBA Excel
I have a code created in Visual Basic (Not VBA) The form is developed by someone else and i just want to use that. And, I want to get that into excel so that i would be able to work on it Is it possible?? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. VB controls are different than VBA controls... they are derived from different parent objects and there are many differences in their available properties. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Subodh" <getsubodh@gmail.com> wrote in message news:08e6425d-7460-447e-b6a9-6520ba28cc7c@m25g2000prj.googlegroups.com... > I have a co...

Waiting to update folder
Using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003. I am getting synchronizing errors on new folders that I create. I am using cache exchange mode. I tried deleting my .ost file and allowing it rebuilt. As soon as I create a new folder, and send/recieve I get the error below. I've tested between two different computers with AND two different account. In conclusion, on one account, creating new folders get synchronized. Good. The problem account says, shows "Waiting to update folder" for new folders created under Inbox. Other folders in other areas eventually update. So the problem mu...

online update #2
I have two credit cards from Chase with different logins. How can I get MS Money to see both of them. In microsoft.public.money, zbigguy wrote: >I have two credit cards from Chase with different logins. How can I get MS >Money to see both of them. What program are you using? In microsoft.public.money, zbigguy wrote: >I have two credit cards from Chase with different logins. How can I get MS >Money to see both of them. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814143/en-us zbigguy: I also have two CC accounts at Chase. Visa Cash Rewards and Visa Hess. I had the Cash Rewards c...

Missing Message Text

HI, Please be patient as the story is long: I migrated my users from a workgroup to a Client/Server network about a month ago. A network using Windows 2000 active Directory. All the clients workstations are Wondows 2000 professional. Before migration, I exported the emails, etc. to a .pst file and after migration imported the same file and all was fine. Last over the weekend our Active Directory server crashed by a Virus supposedly and we had to rebuil the servers, and couldn't have the users logon on to the network to the export/import scenarion again. After the server were re...

Retrieve all entries in table1 eventho they're not matched in tabl
I have 2 tables. ------------------------------------------------------- Table1 looks like this: ID Name Department 101 Allen Accounting 102 Sarah Accounting 103 James HR 104 Nicole Finance 105 Claire IT 224 Kingston External ----------------------------------------------------- Table 2: ID Name Nationality 101 Allen USA 102 Sarah UK 103 James Canada 104 Nicole USA 105 Claire ...

something curious when compiling
Hello. On my solution there are several project. Each project is compiled on the same directory (both for compiling and debugging. Everything works fine, till today. There are two project. For some reason I don't know, one of the projects (a specific project), doesn't "know" about the method of other library. I have the message : Could not load the file or assembly 'xxxxx.dll' or on of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Some of the 'xxxxx.dll' methods can be seen, and some cannot. On other project I can see the whole ...

Auto Update #2
Hello! Every time I launch Auto Update from the Applications folder on my Mac, OS 10.3.7, to check to see if there is anything new, I keep getting the same SR1 update for Office 2004 when I've already installed it at least 3 or 4 times thinking maybe something isn't sticking somewhere. Does anyone know why this is happening? Or should this be happening?! Thanks! MM I have tried practically everything! I've dumped every setting, every pref file associated with Office 2004 and also reinstalled office 2004 just to see. I've got to be missing something somewhere in the OS?!? ...

Check box and make table query
I am trying to write a very basic make table query pulling some of the data from a form. the form has a check box, [MO] and a default value of -1 (this is to defaul all records as checked) If I run a datasheet veiw of the query, the table populates with the "-1" when I run the make table the field shows ?? and a data type of bianary. The query is pulling from the form as MOR:[forms]![Frm_RunNew]![MO] If I uncheck the box it show zero on view and null when run. any suggestions? I added Cbool to my query and all is fine now.. thanks to anyone who may have taken t...

Money's account update, will it ever work again?
Well, it's been quite a while since i have been able to update my Money file from my bank. Any of you MVP's got any information on the problem, like when we can expect to use the software we paid for the way it was advertised to work.I know it's still down according to Microsoft's Money status site. http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp In microsoft.public.money, Insane Bill wrote: >Well, it's been quite a while since i have been able to update my Money file >from my bank. We don't know what your bank is. >Any of you MVP's got any ...

Missing Sata Sources
Hi there When I click Data, Get External Data, New Database Query..., there are no data sources listed in the Database list under <New Data Source>. Even the defaults e.g. dBase Files, Microsoft Access Database, Excel Files, etc are not listed. I am using Windows XP Professional with Office 2000. How can I fix this? Thanks Michael ...