max number of fields on a form (new question)

I am creating a database based on a paper form. The paper form has over 360
individual pieces of information, all of which are recorded for research
purposes. My boss would like me to create a replica electronic form based on
the paper form, but access only allows 255 fields on one form. Other than
subforms, is there any other way to get around this? I have my data organized
into related tables, but every field from each table needs to be on the form.
Any suggestions?

0
noe1818

The limit of 255 is not the form.  Forms have a lifetime limit of 754
controls.  That means that if you delete a control the count does not reduce
by 1, but when you add a control, the count is increased by 1.

The limit is the number of fields allowed in a table or query.

You might try using a subform for each table.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"noe1818" wrote:

> I am creating a database based on a paper form. The paper form has over 360
> individual pieces of information, all of which are recorded for research
> purposes. My boss would like me to create a replica electronic form based on
> the paper form, but access only allows 255 fields on one form. Other than
> subforms, is there any other way to get around this? I have my data organized
> into related tables, but every field from each table needs to be on the form.
> Any suggestions?

In addition to what Dave said, what's wrong with subforms, especially if you
want the form to be updatable?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"noe1818" <u39419@uwe> wrote in message news:7bdb192744d80@uwe...
>I am creating a database based on a paper form. The paper form has over 360
> individual pieces of information, all of which are recorded for research
> purposes. My boss would like me to create a replica electronic form based
> on
> the paper form, but access only allows 255 fields on one form. Other than
> subforms, is there any other way to get around this? I have my data
> organized
> into related tables, but every field from each table needs to be on the
> form.
> Any suggestions?

0
Douglas
11/27/2007 10:08:32 PM
And to continue, while the limit of 255 is not the form, it is the limit of
fields in a recordset, which means, I think, that you have to have subforms.
Since you're in the planning stages, you might want to take a look at this
site, which is a fairly good guide to programming a database for surveys.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
11/27/2007 10:42:30 PM

"Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The limit of 255 is not the form.  Forms have a lifetime limit of 754
> controls.  That means that if you delete a control the count does not
> reduce
> by 1, but when you add a control, the count is increased by 1.

Is that even if you compact the database?

Tom Lake

0
toml_12953
11/28/2007 1:47:40 AM
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:47:40 -0500, <toml_12953@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Klatuu" <Klatuu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The limit of 255 is not the form.  Forms have a lifetime limit of 754
>> controls.  That means that if you delete a control the count does not
>> reduce
>> by 1, but when you add a control, the count is increased by 1.
>
>Is that even if you compact the database?

Yes.

To get around it you must create a new form and copy and paste the controls
that you want to keep.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

Max Customers Accounts in CRM 1.2
One of our client who is evaluating CRM asked for number of Customer Accounts Limit of MS CRM 1.2. We know that MS is targeting CRM for small and Medium size orgainzation but can it support customers of an orgainzation to Millions. Or Can some one tell the max limit of Customer Accounts. ? Regards, JZ There is no defined maximum.. The key is sizing the SQL server appropriately. Especialyl with CRM not supporting clustered SQL servers. I know there are companies out there that have implemented (or are in the process of implementing) installs for > 1,000 users. Matt Parks MVP - Micr...

Pub 2000: insert Unicode by number
I wish to insert a couple of Unicode characters which do not appear i Publisher 2000's symbol list. Is this possible -- Andrew Bryan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Andrew Bryant's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=511 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=126125 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i Andrew Bryant wrote: > I wish to insert a couple of Unicode characters which do not appear in > Publisher 2000's symbol list. Is this possible? Try (with NumLock on) Alt+(Uxxxx), where xxxx is...

Blue is the new black?
I have Access 2003 and all of a sudden, when i put text boxes etc on a form, the border is blue. I check the properties, border color is 0 (black), i press the line/border color button on the toolbar, choose black and my border is still blue! What is going on why won't it turn black!!!! If i wanted blue i would select blue!!! I've tried several forms and several databases, still blue! (i'm sure this didn't happen before!), the only way to get it to go black is using a 2pt width which is totally wrong for my form. Please help....going nuts!!! When you change the color ...

auto number a word document each time it is opened
Hi there, I would like to know how to have a number update automatically each time the document is opened. I have tried all the avenues I know and still have had no luck. I am using word 2003 and have no experience with macros, however I am keen to learn. I am struggling to get the below advice to previous users " http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/NumberDocs.htm. " to work for me. It keeps coming up with error messages after I have created the macro, the main one being "Compile Error: Expected Function or variable" for the "Order =" and then...

Question regarding CRM Activity
I'm trying to create a new Activity in CRM Sales for Outlook, specifically an Appointment. I am trying to include another CRM user in the appointment, and would hope that CRM would notify said user via email. What happens is CRM addresses the user by his domain login, and Outlook does not properly associate any email address with this user (even though his email is set properly within Active Directory). Am I expecting too much out of CRM and Outlook? Is there some blatantly obvious configuration that I'm missing? This seems like it should be core functionality, but I'm...

Excel formula divide list of #s by N to get a number above 40
I have a list of numbers. I need to divide each of those numbers by the same number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in which all of the numbers are at least 40 or above. Is there a formula that will find such a number? Hi =MAX(40,A1/N) Arvi Laanemets "JudyK" <JudyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FB1C4C9-745E-4CAD-A20D-0AC346CE9365@microsoft.com... > I have a list of numbers. I need to divide each of those numbers by the same > number ("N") that will give me a resulting list in which all of the numbers > are at l...

numbers in a cell change
When I type numeric numbers in a cell they change to a type of formula when I exit the cell. How do I get them to stay numeric only? -- GeorgeA I just can't picture what you're describing. Could you post some examples? -- Regards, RD ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit ! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------- "GeorgeA" <GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Export number without decimals
hI, When I export my data from a query in csv format, one of the fields which has 13 digit numbers diplays decimal places when infact the data in the database does not have any decimals. How can I force this field in my query to format with zero decimals so it exports correctly. Eg. currently doing 1310010010011.00 want to show 1310010010011 Bruce Bruce It might be a bit of a kludge, but you could convert the number to text (CStr()) in a query before exporting the query. -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/...

sort by sum of a field
I have a table with several thousand records with the following fields: username, job, total pages What I want to do is group the records by username, then count the total of all grouped records of the total pages field to get a sum. Then I need to sort the results of the total of the "total pages field in decending order. I got a report to show me the summary of the user name and jobs, and to show the total from the totalpages, but how do you sort the report on the total pages by decending order? Darrell Eddy Use the report Sorting and Grouping. -- Build a...

Formatting Page Numbers
I am formatting a manual that supposed to have page numbers starting 0.0, 0.1, ... then 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. with an accompanying TOC. I am perfectly willing to put the page numbers in manually to make sure that they are done accurately, but I cannot figure out how to turn off the automatic page numbers or format them the way I need to. There must be something I can do with section breaks, but the revision date is alternating vertically on the side of the pages because it's a manual. Thoughts on how I can make the page numbers work out? What dictates the change from the ...

How To Go From One Form to Another
I have a form that displays names and contact information. It is based off a master table (called CONTACTS). It uses a combo box to look up and display the contact ifo for whoever I select from the list. In order to simplify any search process, I also have simple forms that consists of a list box. Each form is specific to a particular region within the state (based on queries). What I want to do from any of these forms is double-click on a name in the list and have the original form (described above) load and display the record for that name. Any suggestions will be great. -Rega...

Max and min
Hi! I would like a formula to anticipate the expected maximum and minimum of votes for each political group in the elections and that the variables are necessary to know Thanks in advance. an ...

KbFiltr questions
Hello all. I am a newbie working with the KbFiltr sample provided with the Windows Server 2003 ver 3790.1830 on Windows XP SP3. What I would like to know is what does the third parameter (InputDataEnd) do ? I have tried printing the InputDataEnd->MakeCode member variable but it always prints out to 0 no matter which key or key combinations are pressed. Also I would like to know what does InputDataConsumed does it remove the scancode from the queue ? VOID KbFilter_ServiceCallback ( IN PDEVICE_OBJECT DeviceObject, IN PKEYBOARD_INPUT_DATA InputDataStart, IN PKEYBO...

Exchange RUS new DC
Hi, When changing DC in RUS is necessary to restart System Attendant? Thanks No, it's not necessary. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Calin" <Calin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1231821-90DA-4D30-B477-8F185F32D025@microsoft.com... > Hi, When changing DC in RUS is necessary to restart System Attendant? > > Thanks > For me didn't work without restarting SA. ...

Adding a version number to a document
Is it possible to add a version number to a workbook on saving and closing Hi Tigsboy Yes it is possible. You can manually change the name of the document, e.g. from Draftv1.xls to Draftv1.1.xls. Or else, you can use a macro to increment your version number every time you save it -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "Tigsboy" wrote: > Is it possible to add a version number to a workbook on saving and closing Good afternoon Tigsboy You will need a macro to do this for you, but just to put you on th right track: Private Sub Workbo...

maximum number of recipients
I am using Microsofts Outlook 2007. What is the maximum number of recipients that can be added to send one message to? I get an error code 452 when I want to send one message to a few recipients simultaniously. Which is an error code and limitation set by your ISP and is not coming from Outlook. You'll have to contact your ISP to find out which limit applies to your subscription. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real ...

Open form to third tab
From one form button, I want to open to a another form on a specific tab. I've tried to figure this out, but to no avail. In form RegionalCompetitions, I have a button that I want the user to click to open another form called ChurchInformation. ChurchInformation has 6 tabs. I am trying to use OpenArgs, but I just can't seem to get it right. Here is what I have for the button in RegionalCompetitions: Private Sub Contact1_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Contact1_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "Contacts" stLinkCriteria =...

How can I display negative numbers in a floating bar graph?
I have two categories where the minimum value is a negative number. When Excel graphs these two categories, it starts at zero, rather than the negative number. I can't figure out how to get Excel to display the numbers accurately. Keeping in mind that a floating chart is a stacked chart, follow the procedures on this page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StackedColumnsAboveAndBelow.html In short, the bars cannot cross the axis, so you need two series, one for the positive part of a bar, and another for the negative part. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Pelti...

find header then replace header with number of entries below heade
I have a data set that contains over 66,000 lines. I would like to search for each 'nan nan' then replace it with the number of entries that follow until the next 'nan nan'. Ex. the first 'nan nan' to be replaced with '7', second with '17'. I would also like to enter a '1' in the cell to the right of each replaced value. Thanks in advance. Kevin nan nan -89.34548 29.000135 -89.34636 28.998375 -89.346654 28.997788 -89.347534 28.997788 -89.347827 28.997495 -89.346654 28.996321 -89.341373 29.000135 nan nan -89.424686 28.9232...

Copying matched criteria plus relevant columns to new worksheet
I want to use code in a macro to search for criteria in a worksheet which allows the matched data to be copied (along with other relevant columns) to another worksheet in the same file. Would this involve some sort of loop? Any help apreciated. Thanks in advance, Matt there are several ways to do it. if you want to copy a hundred cells for three columns every time something in row 3 is matched somehting like the following could be used. sub try() tar=1 ' target column in sheet 2 for c = 1 to 34 step 3 ' this will be the look up column in sheet 1 if sheets("Sheet1&quo...

Does Smartlist have max # of records it looks at?
I created a report through SmartList builder and when I run it, the information stops at 12/7/09. It does not show the rest of the year regardless of what date criteria I use. I then created a similar SQL query and made a new SmartList from that query. Again the information stops at 12/7/09. Is there a maximum number of records that SmartList will look at? Or any ideas on why this is happening? This is my SQL query: select a.ordocnum, a. crdtamnt, a.debitamt, a.trxdate, a.actindx, a.ormstrid, a.ormstrnm, a.dscriptn, b.mnacsgmt, c.userdef1, c.userdef2 from gl20000 a lef...

Licence caanot be authorised on new PC
I have recently bought a new Desktop PC. I have uninstalled a copy of Office Ultimate 2007 from my old PC and now wish to install it onto my new PC. I have checked with my supplier who assures me I have a licence for 3 machines. I have installed the product on a Desktop PC, Laptop and Netbook. Consequently I have uninstalled from one Desktop PC and wish to re-install on the new Desktop PC so still having 3 licences only. When I installed on the new PC I get a message asking me to activate the product. This does not work as it appears I have 4 rather than 3 licences even thou...

Excel Graphing Question
Hi, I was wondering if Excel had a way to accentuate intersecting points in a graph. I have a graph with several plots (horizontal) and some more corresponding plots (vertical). Each of these plots intersect and I was wondering if there was a way to dim out (make transparent) the non-intersecting points to accentuate the intersecting ones. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for any help, Andrew Andrew - This may get you started: Click once on a point to select the entire data series. Wait a second or two. Click on an individual point to select just that point. Format ... For more de...

Hindi Number Format
Is ther an equivalent in Access for a for a number format available inExcel .NumberFormat = "[$-2000000]#0,000.00"so that I can have Hindi numerals in a reports.when I use Numeral shapes to context or system or National it is notgiving me the desired result.How I can apply this in a Report so that the field will be formatedusing the above way?Thanks...

Formula For Sorting Part Numbers
I have Excel 2000. Sheet1 of my workbook has: * Part numbers in column D * Primary bin location in column F * Secondary bin location(s), if any, in columns I, J, K, L * Each part number and corresponding bin location(s) are listed on the same row and there are no duplicate part numbers I need help with a formula (to be inserted in Sheet2) that does the following: * List all the part numbers and bin locations (primary + secondary) if there is an "X" in column AB of any part number listed in Sheet1 * All the information for a part number should be on a single row * T...