Importing Customer Data from DataEase

Hi

I am converting an inventory system from a dos-based database called
DataEase to Access.  In the DataEase system a 4 digit customer number
(called a numeric string in DataEase) uniquely identifies each
customer in the Customers table.  This number is used as the basis for
a relationship between the Customers table and the Invoices table.

The Customers table has approx 1000 records and the Invoices table has
approx 9000 records.  I need to import the data from the Dataease
system to Access but I need help on the best way to proceed.

The customer number field in the Customers table (in Dataease) is an
"auto increment" field type.  This field type adds 1 to the highest
customer number.  If the last customer is "2004" and you enter a new
customer, the customer number of the new record is "2005"

If I was starting from scratch I could use the AutoNumber field type
in Access and everything would be fine.  But I need to be able to keep
the existing relationship between the existing Customers table and
Invoices table.

If I import the existing data into Access using a 4 digit text field
as the destination field type that would work but when I enter new
records into the Customers table, I would have to assign the next
customer number myself.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the best way to proceed.

Thanks in advance
Mark Thornblad

0
mthornblad
4/23/2007 6:26:14 AM
access.forms 6864 articles. 2 followers. Follow

2 Replies
886 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 55

Mark, I'm not clear about the system DataEase uses, but a 4-digit "numeric 
string" might imply that they store the value in a Text field that has the 
literal leading zeros as part of the string if needed.

If you import the data into a temporary table, you could create a query that 
converts that into a true numeric value. For example, if the field is named 
CustID and there are no Nulls in the field, you could type this into the 
Field row in query design:
    CLng(Val([CustID]))

You could then change the query into an Append query (Append on Query menu), 
and append that numeric value to the AutoNumber field in your new table.

-- 
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

<mthornblad@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1177309574.080422.7710@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
>
> I am converting an inventory system from a dos-based database called
> DataEase to Access.  In the DataEase system a 4 digit customer number
> (called a numeric string in DataEase) uniquely identifies each
> customer in the Customers table.  This number is used as the basis for
> a relationship between the Customers table and the Invoices table.
>
> The Customers table has approx 1000 records and the Invoices table has
> approx 9000 records.  I need to import the data from the Dataease
> system to Access but I need help on the best way to proceed.
>
> The customer number field in the Customers table (in Dataease) is an
> "auto increment" field type.  This field type adds 1 to the highest
> customer number.  If the last customer is "2004" and you enter a new
> customer, the customer number of the new record is "2005"
>
> If I was starting from scratch I could use the AutoNumber field type
> in Access and everything would be fine.  But I need to be able to keep
> the existing relationship between the existing Customers table and
> Invoices table.
>
> If I import the existing data into Access using a 4 digit text field
> as the destination field type that would work but when I enter new
> records into the Customers table, I would have to assign the next
> customer number myself.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions on the best way to proceed.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mark Thornblad 

0
Allen
4/23/2007 7:15:58 AM
On Apr 23, 2:15 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> Mark, I'm not clear about the system DataEase uses, but a 4-digit "numeric
> string" might imply that they store the value in a Text field that has the
> literal leading zeros as part of the string if needed.
>
> If you import the data into a temporary table, you could create a query that
> converts that into a true numeric value. For example, if the field is named
> CustID and there are no Nulls in the field, you could type this into the
> Field row in query design:
>     CLng(Val([CustID]))
>
> You could then change the query into an Append query (Append on Query menu),
> and append that numeric value to the AutoNumber field in your new table.
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
>
> <mthornb...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1177309574.080422.7710@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > I am converting an inventory system from a dos-based database called
> > DataEase to Access.  In the DataEase system a 4 digit customer number
> > (called a numeric string in DataEase) uniquely identifies each
> > customer in the Customers table.  This number is used as the basis for
> > a relationship between the Customers table and the Invoices table.
>
> > The Customers table has approx 1000 records and the Invoices table has
> > approx 9000 records.  I need to import the data from the Dataease
> > system to Access but I need help on the best way to proceed.
>
> > The customer number field in the Customers table (in Dataease) is an
> > "auto increment" field type.  This field type adds 1 to the highest
> > customer number.  If the last customer is "2004" and you enter a new
> > customer, the customer number of the new record is "2005"
>
> > If I was starting from scratch I could use the AutoNumber field type
> > in Access and everything would be fine.  But I need to be able to keep
> > the existing relationship between the existing Customers table and
> > Invoices table.
>
> > If I import the existing data into Access using a 4 digit text field
> > as the destination field type that would work but when I enter new
> > records into the Customers table, I would have to assign the next
> > customer number myself.
>
> > I would appreciate any suggestions on the best way to proceed.
>
> > Thanks in advance
> > Mark Thornblad

Allen

Thanks.  I ran a test of what you suggested and it worked perfect.  I
could have never figured
out how to do that without your help.

I still have a couple of issues as far as the conversion from DataEase
to Access but I'm
almost there.  I'm on the downhill side of my learning curve with
Access.

Thanks again... I appreciate your help greatly.

Mark Thornblad
Centre, Alabama

0
mthornblad
4/28/2007 5:07:21 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Importing Outlook data into Access 2003
I recently reinstalled Office 2003 and have encountered the following problem: I want to import my contacts in Outlook into an Access 2003 database. When I go to File/Get External data, there is no option to import from Outlook. In fact, the only choices I'm given are Microsoft Access, Windows Sharepoint Services, XML and ODBC databases. How can I enable the options I've had in past installations of Access? Thanks in advance, Pic Select Full install instead of typical Pieter "Pic" <compuBUTNOTTHIStoot@att.net> wrote in message news:uqqbh3t26icr6bo0httq2b6640b78pq56...

Passing data from one form to another
Hello I have a form called frmMaindB and it has 5 text boxes on it (txtEmployeeTime, txtDTRegular, txtDTReason1, txtDTReason2, txtDTMaintenance) when I double click on the text box it opens up a pop up form named frm_DecimalConversion. On this form I have two text boxes one box I enter data into and the other calculates or converts the data to a decimal. The box that converts the data is called txtDecimal. Then I have a close button which I want to use to close the pop up form and insert the data into the text box I double clicked in to get the pop up or (frm_DecimalConversion). I have r...

data value in Form field if no table entry
I have a form with a field which pulls through and concentenates 2 fields called [ContactFirstname] and [ContactLastName]from my table There are however some customers for whom I do not have names and therefore instead I would like Sir/Madam to appear in the field in the form I think I have seen this done somewhere using ELSE? but can't find it Any help/ideas gratefully received Perhaps something like this: Nz(Trim([ContactFirstname] & " " + [ContactLastName]), "Sir/Madam") -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access use...

Help ! formatting data to text
I am creating data in an Excel spreadsheet. I then want to get that data into a simple text email. I have some problems and questions... 1) how do I get the columns of data to line up evenly when I copy the data to email text ? Keep in mind I need to be in simple text format, not HTML or rich text. Every time I do this, all columns become chaos and are unreadable. 2) Is there a simple way to automate the creation of an email from an excel file ? this is less important to me. Thanks in advance WxMachine #1. I think it may have to do with what email client you use, too. I copy and ...

Article published by Microsoft reg. 'Event' custom entity
Recently, I found a great article published by Microsoft that contains a sample code on how to create a custom entity, event. I thought that I bookmarked it but cannot find it. Has anyone seen it and can provide a hyperlink? I will really appreciate it. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa682866.aspx you'll probably find it in the above link "mkatsev" wrote: > Recently, I found a great article published by Microsoft that contains a > sample code on how to create a custom entity, event. I thought that I > bookmarked it but cannot find it. Has anyone seen...

How can I stop charts from refreshing when changing source data?
My problem is, that I am working with a lot of data and when I change some of the ranges all charts in my view refreshes and it takes much time. My pc is aP4 3GHz, 2GB RAM so that should not be the bottleneck. Is there any way to force the charts not to update all the time? ...

how do I remove fx from the function line, can't enter data
I have the fx displayed just under my toolbar, and I can't enter or change data in any of the cells in the file. I can't get the red X, the Green check mark, or the black = sign to appear. There are very few areas that are not "greyed out" under the headings at the top. This situation applies to all of the excel files on this computer. I have Excel 2000. Please help. Can you move the cursor around anywhere in the spreadsheet? "dmdranch" wrote: > I have the fx displayed just under my toolbar, and I can't enter or change > data in any of the c...

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

Using subtotals as single data entries
Sorry about the subject--I couldn't figure out how to describe it simply. I have a large file (16,000 records) of amounts billed by roughly 10,000 service providers. A number of these providers have multiple office locations, so each record is unique to a specific office location. In other words, a provider who billed from 3 different office locations will have 3 entries. Each provider has a unique provider ID number, which stays the same regardless of which office location he is billing from. I want to be able to subtotal the amount billed by each provider for all their office locations...

lead import seams to be boring
Hi. Everytime I import leads from Excel I must manually map every column to the proper CRM fileds. Is there a way to do it once ? In the first row of excel file I wrote the name of the labels of the fields but it doesn't work. Any idea ? Sebastiano To automate it, you could use the Data Migration Framework, set up a recurring DTS task to move the leads from Excel to the CDF tables, and then a batch job to run the Migration tool at night (or whenever nobody is in the system). Harder to set up, but easier to maintain, until the spreadsheet changes. :-) -- Kevin Hill 3NF Consulting w...

How can I keep track of when (date and time) data is entered into.
I am trying to create a spreadsheet for a high school class. I need to be able to track when a student has entered data into specific cells of the spreadsheet. Any ideas? In the code behind the worksheet, enter (eg) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Cells(1, 1).Value = Now() End Sub This will enter in Cell A1 the date and time at which any entry is made in that worksheet. If you need the location of the time-stamp to vary according to which cell is changed then you can test the value of Target and vary the destination cell accordingly. -- Return email address is n...

How can I cut data out of HTML table, into msExcel and just take the data & columns? (but NOT the formatting & URLs!)
Hi This is driving me ABSOLUTELY NUTS! How can I keep the rows & columns of data that I am copying and pasting off a website (my own in this case!), into a spreadsheet... WITHOUT taking all the data formatting? If I paste out of Ms IE v6 into Ms Excel (2003), it does at least keep the columns (something that doesnt happen if I paste out of FireFox, fwiw). But it pastes with all the formatting & URLs etc - which I DONT WANT! OK, I can save as .CSV, close, 2 warnings, and re-open but when done REPEATEDLY this is a damned nuicance! Any suggestions? Ship Shiperton Henethe ship w...

Retrieving sorted data from same table.
Hi All, I am working on a table (mentioned below) I am looking for a query which can get me the data according to the =93id=94 column with respect to speed. The condition is that I have to get three consecutive entries which have speed > 60 Below is the sample table with data on which I have to retrieve the data on above condition. The output i need can be as given below DVXC002 12/10/09 0:12 96 DVXC002 12/10/09 18:40 89 DVXC002 12/10/09 19:43 65 DVXC005 12/10/09 11:56 69 DVXC005 12/10/09 15:26 62 DVXC005 12/10/09 17:35 85 Need your help urgently....Thanks in advan...

Import directory data into Excel 2003
I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information from and put into an Excel spreadsheet. Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into Excel. So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer some suggestions please? Thanks, Nigel -- www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends www.sysadmininc.com - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking... www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide www.kxez.com/shows_britishinv...

show last data point in chart
Hello, I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? Thank you. Nathan - > I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? < Click the charted data once to select the entire data series. Pause. Click the single point to select it. Then use the Format menu. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com Thanks for your reply. Well, that would work if I knew which point on the chart ...

Copy Data from One Group of Cells to Another Group
I have five columns of data on two different sheets in the same workbook. One set of columns is sorted in ascending date order the other in descending date order. When I enter data into the last row of Sheet 1, I need the data in that row in columns A, B, C and D to be copied into Sheet 2 columns A, C, D and E in a newly inserted row 14. Is this possible with the use of a macro? I can find the last cell in Sheet 1, but then need to go up one row and back to column A. I am having difficulty with that. Thanks is advance for any assistance offered! /s/ Alan Auerbach On Sat, 26 May 2007, ...

Import excel data to outlook calendar
I have found lots of tips to import excel data to the address book, etc, but can't find how to "custom map" or how to import data from an excel spreadsheet into the outlook calendar. Could anyone make any suggestions? Hi Tracy, normally you are in the wrong newsgoup, but I try to help you. - First export the dates from your OL calender to an excel file. - In this file, you can find all the headlines for importing. - If you try to import date, be sure that the headline matches as described before. - Then to the normal job for import in Outlook -- Ich hoffe, das hilft / ...

Registration Entry for External Data Refresh Prompt
Hello, I have several Excel Workbooks with external queries, pivots, etc. I have "ASK TO UPDATE AUTOMATIC LINKS" checked in TOOLS - OPTIONS. But it seems like I still stometimes get asked whether or not I want to update. Particularily I notice when I close the workbook I may get prompted if I want it to automatically update. Is there something I can do so I do not get prompted? Something in the registry perhaps? Thanks for any assistance! ...

Showing the perimeter of a set of (X,Y) data!
Good day all, I need to plot the perimeter of a set of data. I have a set of (X,Y) data with error bar and it is a nice mess so I just actually need to see (show) the area were the data can be found. Then hopefully overlay an other set of (X',Y') data and show that they both cover the same surface of existence. i.e this is a set of metrology measurement in X and Y of a part build from different mould. Obviously you get a nice cloud of X and Y but does the new material offer the same 'cloud' ? Thank you I think the easiest way to do this is plot the data on a XY Scatter cha...

How do I get total value data labels in a stacked bar chart?
I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if so, how?? Hi, This should help http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Cheers Andy blemerson wrote: > I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total > value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if > so, how?? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Thanks, Andy. The CFO is thrilled. Heather "Andy Pope" wrote: > Hi, >...

Error Exporting data in HQ Admin
Hi, I have HQ 1.2 (SP3) and two stores. I have previously exported new stores with other customers without any problems. However, I am now getting an error when it reaches the table supplier - An error was encountered while exporting data. Your Store Operations db is not complete and may not work correctly. Error 0: I have followed instructions as per another post ( query to check for NULL values and reinstall SO in case 'only me' option was selected) but still have same problem. Would anyone have any ideas on where to go from here? Thanks in advance. John. John, First I w...

Pivot table Data field question
I create a pivot table from three columns of data, using the Wizard.In the Layout dialogue, I drag one of my fields to the Rows; I drag anther field to the Columns. I need to drag a third field to the Data area. There's no conflict there, each Data cell of the resulting matrix would be unique. Excel doesn't let me do this. It insists on using a calculation, e.g. Sum of [field3], Count of [field3], etc. How do I convince Excel to insert just the value of Field3 in the Data? -- Regards Gershon Shamay The field you drag to the data area will always be summarized. However, if the v...

Data in Fields Changing Automatically
We use a simple Access table to keep track of resolutions adopted by our City Council. It's always worked just fine until today. When I add information in the fields of a row and click in the next row, the information I just added changes. There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern to how this happens. There is a column for the number of the resolution. Sometimes this will change to the number of the row above, or two rows above. I tried rebooting. Thanks in advance for any clues! ?Version of Access? ?Working directly in the table instead of, as recommended, in a fo...

Template Wizard with Data Tracking #8
I'm trying to use the template wizard to create a template that is linked to a data base so that every new file I create which is based on that template will add the info from the designated cells to the data base. I've followed all the steps in the template wizard several times over but always get an error message that says: Method 'Add' of object 'Sheet' failed. I haven't been able to figure out what this means or how to fix it. Help! Dee I know that the Data Tracker adds a hidden sheet to your workbook to keep track of the database location and such....

Mixed Data Handling
Hi, I have a mixed data set as exampled below, Type Value A 14 B 0.156 C 1.65 A 18 D 400 C 1.56 C 1.72 .... .... .... Question: How can I graph these variables individually without chancin' the data structure? Note: I can not use autofilter or any other macro, this data set will be updated every 2hours, but can make any link to this data set freely. Thx for your concern Emre ´┐ŻNAL Statistician http://www.geocities.com/dusemre You can make a pivot table from this data. The data is unchanged, as the P...