I want to inhibit editing of one text box based on the content of another

The two text boxes are on the same form (subform3).
I want to inhibit the Quantity filed from being edited if the Status
field contains "Ship Requested".

The following code gives me an error 'Expected: list separator or )'

Private Sub Quantity_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    ' Inhibit txtbox if the Status field is "Ship Requested"
    IIf(me.Status = "Ship Requested"; me.AllowEdits = True, _
me.AllowEdits = False)
End Sub
0
BobC

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 23:07:21 -0500, BobC wrote:

> The two text boxes are on the same form (subform3).
> I want to inhibit the Quantity filed from being edited if the Status
> field contains "Ship Requested".
>
> The following code gives me an error 'Expected: list separator or )'
>
> Private Sub Quantity_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
>     ' Inhibit txtbox if the Status field is "Ship Requested"
>     IIf(me.Status = "Ship Requested"; me.AllowEdits = True, _
> me.AllowEdits = False)
> End Sub

Code both the [Status] AfterUpdate event AND the Form's Current event:

Me.AllowEdits = [Status] = "Ship Requested"

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

fredg wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 23:07:21 -0500, BobC wrote:
>
>> The two text boxes are on the same form (subform3).
>> I want to inhibit the Quantity filed from being edited if the Status
>> field contains "Ship Requested".
>>
>> The following code gives me an error 'Expected: list separator or )'
>>
>> Private Sub Quantity_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
>>      ' Inhibit txtbox if the Status field is "Ship Requested"
>>      IIf(me.Status = "Ship Requested"; me.AllowEdits = True, _
>> me.AllowEdits = False)
>> End Sub
>

> Code both the [Status] AfterUpdate event AND the Form's Current event:
>
> Me.AllowEdits = [Status] = "Ship Requested"

0
BobC
11/28/2009 5:07:23 AM
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 00:07:23 -0500, BobC wrote:

> I'm having a hard time with this...
> Are you saying put the same equation in two locations?
> I never saw two = signs in the same expression?
>
> fredg wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 23:07:21 -0500, BobC wrote:
>>
>>> The two text boxes are on the same form (subform3).
>>> I want to inhibit the Quantity filed from being edited if the Status
>>> field contains "Ship Requested".
>>>
>>> The following code gives me an error 'Expected: list separator or )'
>>>
>>> Private Sub Quantity_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
>>>      ' Inhibit txtbox if the Status field is "Ship Requested"
>>>      IIf(me.Status = "Ship Requested"; me.AllowEdits = True, _
>>> me.AllowEdits = False)
>>> End Sub
>>

>> Code both the [Status] AfterUpdate event AND the Form's Current event:
>>
>> Me.AllowEdits = [Status] = "Ship Requested"

Did you place it in the 2 locations?
Did you write the expression exactly as I wrote it?
What happened?
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal e-mail
0
fredg
11/28/2009 6:56:49 AM
I did as you said and placed it in the two locations.
It worked logically backwards from what I wanted, so I changed the
equation to:
	Me.AllowEdits = [Status] <> "Ship Requested"
It now works great! dispite the fact that I still do not understand it!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!

Bob

fredg wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 00:07:23 -0500, BobC wrote:
>
>> I'm having a hard time with this...
>> Are you saying put the same equation in two locations?
>> I never saw two = signs in the same expression?
>>
>> fredg wrote:

>>> Code both the [Status] AfterUpdate event AND the Form's Current event:
>>>
>>> Me.AllowEdits = [Status] = "Ship Requested"
>>>

> Did you place it in the 2 locations?
> Did you write the expression exactly as I wrote it?
> What happened?
0
BobC
11/28/2009 7:21:30 AM
AllowEdits is a boolean field (i.e.: it accepts True or False).

[Status] = "Ship Requested" and [Status] <> "Ship Requested" are boolean
expressions (i.e.: they return True or False)

I usually add parentheses to make it a little clearer:

 Me.AllowEdits = ([Status] <> "Ship Requested")

Note that this is exactly the same as

 If [Status] <> "Ship Requested" Then
   Me.AllowEdits = True
 Else
   Me.AllowEdits = False
 End If

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"BobC" <Bob.CallenNoSpamm@cox.net> wrote in message
>I did as you said and placed it in the two locations.
> It worked logically backwards from what I wanted, so I changed the
> equation to:
> Me.AllowEdits = [Status] <> "Ship Requested"
> It now works great! dispite the fact that I still do not understand it!
>
> THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!
>
> Bob
>
> fredg wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 00:07:23 -0500, BobC wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having a hard time with this...
>>> Are you saying put the same equation in two locations?
>>> I never saw two = signs in the same expression?

>> Did you place it in the 2 locations?
>> Did you write the expression exactly as I wrote it?
>> What happened?

0
Douglas
11/28/2009 12:02:07 PM
Fred's code, placed as he's advised, will do the job.

There were two problems with your code:

First, you followed

me.Status = "Ship Requested"

with a semi-colon, instead of a comma, which was the cause of the

'Expected: list separator or )'

error message.

Secondly, IIF() is intended to be used to populate a value into a field. It
would use syntax like this

Me.Textbox =  IIF(Me.Status = "Ship Requested", "ThisValue", "ThatValue")

It cannot be use to set a form's property, as you tried to do.

As always when doing this kind of thing, you need to have some strategy in
place for dealing with the user incorrectly entering "Ship Requested" in the
Status field. And this will happen!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
11/28/2009 3:04:42 PM
It is not clear to me why I place the expression in TWO locations?
And... By doing so, does it affect more than ONE text box?

Thank you for you explanation!
Bob

Douglas J. Steele wrote:
> AllowEdits is a boolean field (i.e.: it accepts True or False).
>
> [Status] = "Ship Requested" and [Status] <> "Ship Requested" are boolean
> expressions (i.e.: they return True or False)
>
> I usually add parentheses to make it a little clearer:
>
> Me.AllowEdits = ([Status] <> "Ship Requested")
>
> Note that this is exactly the same as
>
> If [Status] <> "Ship Requested" Then
> Me.AllowEdits = True
> Else
> Me.AllowEdits = False
> End If

0
BobC
11/28/2009 4:45:24 PM
Thank you for your time in explaining the suntax and use of the IIF
function!  I could swear that the syntax I read had a semicolon????

Can you explain why it needed to be placed in TWO locations and in doing
so how many text boxes it affects?

Thank You Again,
Bob

Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com wrote:
> Fred's code, placed as he's advised, will do the job.
>
> There were two problems with your code:
>
> First, you followed
>
> me.Status = "Ship Requested"
>
> with a semi-colon, instead of a comma, which was the cause of the
>
> 'Expected: list separator or )'
>
> error message.
>
> Secondly, IIF() is intended to be used to populate a value into a field. It
> would use syntax like this
>
> Me.Textbox =  IIF(Me.Status = "Ship Requested", "ThisValue", "ThatValue")
>
> It cannot be use to set a form's property, as you tried to do.
>
> As always when doing this kind of thing, you need to have some strategy in
> place for dealing with the user incorrectly entering "Ship Requested" in the
> Status field. And this will happen!

0
BobC
11/28/2009 4:52:46 PM
Placing it in the AfterUpdate event of the Status control will set the
AllowEdit Property as soon as the Status control has a value entered.

Placing it in the Form_Current event insures that when you move from one
record to another, the Property is set appropriately.

For example, if you ***only*** place it in the Status_AfterUpdate event, and
the value entered is "Ship Requested," the AllowEdits would be set to True.

If you then move to another record, where the value of Status is something
other than "Ship Requested," AllowEdits will still be set to Yes, because
nothing ha been done to check the current value of Status!

Having the code in the Form_Update event checks the value of Status as you
move to a new record and sets AllowEdits accordingly.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
11/28/2009 5:22:24 PM
Amazing how simple it seems once you know the reason!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Bob

Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com wrote:
> Placing it in the AfterUpdate event of the Status control will set the
> AllowEdit Property as soon as the Status control has a value entered.
>
> Placing it in the Form_Current event insures that when you move from one
> record to another, the Property is set appropriately.
>
> For example, if you ***only*** place it in the Status_AfterUpdate event, and
> the value entered is "Ship Requested," the AllowEdits would be set to True.
>
> If you then move to another record, where the value of Status is something
> other than "Ship Requested," AllowEdits will still be set to Yes, because
> nothing ha been done to check the current value of Status!
>
> Having the code in the Form_Update event checks the value of Status as you
> move to a new record and sets AllowEdits accordingly.

0
BobC
11/28/2009 5:31:41 PM
Yes it is! Glad we all could help!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
11/28/2009 7:33:00 PM
"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in

> AllowEdits is a boolean field (i.e.: it accepts True or False).

More properly, a Boolean *property*, not field.

David
11/29/2009 4:42:33 AM
I'm sorry, but I am confused at you answer? Does it relate to my question?
Bob

David W. Fenton wrote:
> "Douglas J. Steele"<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com>  wrote in
>
>> AllowEdits is a boolean field (i.e.: it accepts True or False).
>
> More properly, a Boolean *property*, not field.

0
BobC
11/29/2009 4:57:20 AM
I was addressing your comment "It now works great! dispite the fact that I
still do not understand it!"

David was pointing out that my termininology was sloppy.

--

> I'm sorry, but I am confused at you answer? Does it relate to my question?
> Bob
>
> David W. Fenton wrote:
>> "Douglas J. Steele"<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com>  wrote in
>>
>>> AllowEdits is a boolean field (i.e.: it accepts True or False).
>>
>> More properly, a Boolean *property*, not field.

0
Douglas

a dll use a class in another lib project directly
Hi, I recently got a product with mutliple libs, dlls in VC++ 6.0. One thing puzzles me is that one of the dlls "directly" uses the classes in another lib project. Ususally we should put modifier _declspec( dllimport ) and _declspec( dllexport ) in the class declaration before the class can be used by another dll, right? But in these shared classes, the modifier is just absent. Do you have any clue? Any hint is much appreciated. JD ...

want questions

list in one cell
how can i ctreate a list in one cell such as drop down arrow You can use data validation for this http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=data+validation+excel "sohail" wrote: > how can i ctreate a list in one cell such as drop down arrow hi i think you are intersted in data validation. on the tool bar>data>data validation. also see this site for tutorial. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html regards FSt1 "sohail" wrote: > how can i ctreate a list in one cell such as drop down arrow ...

I want more!

How can I edit an entry in the dictionary in WORD 2007?
I have some words added to the WORD 2007 dictionary that I need to edit [these are Mohawk words, so spelling is a bit arbitrary]. How can I edit or delete entries to the spelling dictionary? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/EditCustomDic.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "J Lightfoot" <JLightfoot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF1D0297-BB68-445D-9910-4203C0B3B99E@microsoft.com... >I have some words added to the WORD 2007 dictionary that I need to edit > [t...

workbook links, remove a bad one
I have a workbook with a link to a workbook that no longer exists. I can't figue out how to remove move it. There is nothing listed in any of my books or the help file. Has anyone seen a procedure, anywhere. I'd love to get rid of the message window when the file opens up. Dave You could have a link in a named range. Check Insert>Name>Define on each sheet. Download Bill Manville's FINDLINK.XLA from Stephen Bullen's site. http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm With this add-in you can find and delete links. On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 06:35:58 -0700, "Dave Welsh"...

Outlook rule based on value NOT in name?
Hi, I have a lot of SPAM coming in with the sender's address set to my e-mail address. However, the name is different. I would like to setup a rule like this: If the sender's e-mail address = XXXXXXX, but the sender's name <> YYYYYYYY then move to the junk folder. Can this be done? All I see are rules to look for a string - not look for the absence of a string. I use e-mail to transfer notes to myself and also transfer information between mail accounts and computers, so I do send myself e-mail fairly frequently. I'm using Outlook 2003. Thank you for your time! -...

Downloaded Payee Names Editing
In Money 2006 the payee field of a downloaded transaction is "grayed out" and cannot be edited - DIRECTV (1) for example. When I try to use the Payee Rules Manager to change the name to Direct TV, I receive an error stating that "DIRECV (1) is already being used as a payee or payee name variation. Please enter a different name." This seems counter-intuitive to me. Surely, I should be able to enter the preferred name and then list the unwanted variants I wish to have replaced with the preferred name. Are you in Advanced Register??? "Silbury Hill" <no-one@h...

Edit cell value
I would like to change the value in a cell. This is a trivial question. But what I wanted to know is, how can I change the value without selecting that particular cell with the mouse, and then making the changes. Say I am using just my keyboard. How do I edit this value? you can move around using you tab key - and you can edit directly in the cell by using the F2 key Thanks. That was what I wanted to know. "pennie.thomas@ace-ina.com" wrote: > you can move around using you tab key - and you can edit directly in > the cell by using the F2 key > > ...

how do I populate a cell with data from another worksheet,
I have two worksheets, both with similar data. Say columns are Acc No, Acc Name and VAT number. Unfortunately the VAT number does not correspond on each worksheet. How can I populate 1 worksheet with the VAT number so that the data is collected on one worksheet? I have tried VLookup, but I'm not really converant with it so would appreciate any help. Many thanks Denise ...

Need query of all records based on month
How can i create a parameter query in the query grid to ask for all records based on the month. example: i want all records for May 2007. any ideas? In article <21EC5C38-AB39-4AA1-88D8-7C9627A947FE@microsoft.com>, jackle@discussions.microsoft.com says... > How can i create a parameter query in the query grid to ask for all records > based on the month. example: i want all records for May 2007. any ideas? > say you have a date column in your table Field: DatePart("m",[Orders].[OrderDate]) Criteria: DatePart("m",[Enter date:]) In article <21EC5C38-AB3...

Text want wrap in text box

Go to cell based on input
Hi all In hoping someone can help I have a cell (c16) the user will input a 1 or a zero into. If its a 1 i want cell (F16) to be selected or if its a 0 cell (C17) to be selected. Cheers in Advance D -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Put this code in the worksheet module. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "$C$16" Then Select Case Target.Value Case Is = "0": Range("C17").Select Case Is = "1": Range("F16").Select End Se...

Want to Add more Sub description Field

Text entered in two separate cells appear as one word in another
Text entered in two separate cells eg. A1 TOM B1 HARRIS how do I get these two words to appear as TOMHARRIS in Cell C1 Hi, =A1&B1 if you need a comma in between =A1&","&B1 if this helps please click yes, thanks "lizzie" wrote: > Text entered in two separate cells eg. A1 TOM B1 HARRIS how do I get these > two words to appear as TOMHARRIS in Cell C1 ...

"Save as" box in MSWord
Hi For some odd reason I cannot save a (new) file in MSWord because the "save as" frame is larger than the screen size on my notebook. Because of this, the space for the "File name" and "Save as Type" panels - and the "Save" or "Cancel" boxes cannot be reached. When trying to push the frame higher on the page so that I can access and enter data into those panels and boxes, it will move only for as long as I "hold" it in place. As soon as I release the moved frame, ready to enter data into the panels and boxes, it slips ...

Calculate average based on specific time or date
I have data of travel time between 2 locations each day. There are columns such as date, start time and end time in multiple columns. How can I find the average of travel time on Monday, Tuesday, Wed etc and the average of travel time if start time is between 7:00 to 7:30, etc..? Thanks for the help, cpliu, I have come up with a suggestion. Basically, I took your "average" two ways. One way would be to look at the Total Average for all days over time, and the second would be to look at the individual days themselves. Basically, the start and stop time can be Differenced ou...

How can I assign a range starting cell based on a variable locati.
I'm wondering if there is a way to assign a range starting (or ending) cell location based on a variable number. For instance, say I have cells B1 through B20 and want to take an average, but not of the entire range. Say I only want to average B5:B20 but the "5" is given to me by a separate equation. Is there a way to write =AVERAGE(B???:B20) so that the ??? is referenced to another cell? That way I can cite a range based on a variable starting point. Thanks, Dave by the way, these newsgroups are awesome see response in worksheet.functions -- HTH RP (remove not...

Missing text in long emails
The bottom portion of long emails is cut off when sent in Rich Text format. I have this happening from specific PC's using both Outlook XP or Outlook 2000. No problem when sending same message in HTML format. When selecting the message from the SENT folder it is also truncated, but when REPLYing to the message in the SENT folder everything is there until it is sent again. Help ...

Editing "Length" of media in WMP11
Does anyone know if it is possible to edit the "length" of a song listed in WMP11?? I have several songs that have incorrect times listed and can't seem to correct them. No, editing the length directly isn't possible, but playing the song (by double-clicking it in the library) should make WMP correct the length itself. If that doesn't help, remove the song from the library (right-click - Delete - Delete from library only), and re-add it (press F3, make sure "Add files previously deleted from library" is checked and click OK). Regards -- Tim ...

GP 2010
Hi, I need help with editing "Comments" field which is under blue arrow on invoice line. After posting invoice this field (as others) becomes grey - non editable. Any ideas how to change its value ??? ...

Combining Multiple-Color Data Series into One Bar Chart
I am trying to create a bar chart that incorporates three sets of data. The problem: (1) All of the data needs to be ranked (in total) and (2) each of the data series must be represented by a different color in the bar chart. How do I accomplish this in Excel 2007? ...

Miss- position of text box in chart
I have a problem on below : When i generate the chart there after i added in the text with text box to a certain location within the chart, but after the position of the text shifted once i preview and even printed out. the text just missalignment with what i have been placed earlier on. Thanks for the help~~! Eric - Add a dummy XY series to the chart, with a data point located everywhere you want a label. Format the series to be invisible (no marker, no line), then use one of the free Excel add-ins* to apply labels from a worksheet range to the dummy points. * Rob Bovey's C...