I need the code for event procedure of text box

I have a Text Box whose record source is a field of a query.
I want to update the query field upon 'change'
What code do I need to put in the event procedure to do that?
0
BobC

Are you sure about this, Bob?

The Change event fires with each keystroke, so firstly, you might need to
consider whether the data would be valid. For example, if the text box is
bound to a Date/Time field, it would not be valid when you have only typed
    3/
Similarly if it is bound to a Number field, it would not be valid at the
point when you have only typed the negative sign.

If you want to proceed, the idea is to assign the Text property of the text
box to its Value, e.g.:
    Me.Surname.Value = Me.Surname.Text
This has the side effect of triggering other events, and typically the
entire select becomes selected. Consequently, the next keystroke overwrites
everything in the text box. Therefore you need to store the SelStart and
SelLength before you assign the value, and then set SelStart again after
making the assignment.

If this is a memo field, there's another problem here. SelStart is an
integer (signed), and memos can have more than 32k characters.

If you have not worked with the Text property or SelStart and SelLength,
this example might give you some clues:
    http://allenbrowne.com/func-InsertChar.html

"BobC" <Bob.NoSpammm@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a Text Box whose record source is a field of a query.
> I want to update the query field upon 'change'
> What code do I need to put in the event procedure to do that?

0
Allen
3/22/2008 7:06:35 AM
Thank you for keeping me out of trouble on this!!!

Maybe I should tell you what I want to do ...
I'm wanting to update a name (which might contain spaces).
What would you suggest?  Would the 'enter' key be a possible approach?
Thanks,
Bob

Allen Browne wrote:
> Are you sure about this, Bob?
>
> The Change event fires with each keystroke, so firstly, you might need
> to consider whether the data would be valid. For example, if the text
> box is bound to a Date/Time field, it would not be valid when you have
> only typed
>    3/
> Similarly if it is bound to a Number field, it would not be valid at the
> point when you have only typed the negative sign.
>
> If you want to proceed, the idea is to assign the Text property of the
> text box to its Value, e.g.:
>    Me.Surname.Value = Me.Surname.Text
> This has the side effect of triggering other events, and typically the
> entire select becomes selected. Consequently, the next keystroke
> overwrites everything in the text box. Therefore you need to store the
> SelStart and SelLength before you assign the value, and then set
> SelStart again after making the assignment.
>
> If this is a memo field, there's another problem here. SelStart is an
> integer (signed), and memos can have more than 32k characters.
>
> If you have not worked with the Text property or SelStart and SelLength,
> this example might give you some clues:
>    http://allenbrowne.com/func-InsertChar.html

0
BobC
3/22/2008 7:31:15 AM
Bob, are you trying to make a text box behave like a combo does when it
auto-completes the name for you?

For example, you type the S and it displays the first name from your table
that starts with S, and selects all the remaining characters so they get
overwritten when you type the next character?

Simplest way might be to use a combo with LimitToList set to No, and
RowSource like this:
    SELECT DISTINCT Surname FROM tblClient WHERE Surname Is Not Null ORDER
BY Surname;

If that's what you want to do, but you don't want to use a combo, post a
request, and I'll try to dig up a code example.

> Thank you for keeping me out of trouble on this!!!
>
> Maybe I should tell you what I want to do ...
> I'm wanting to update a name (which might contain spaces).
> What would you suggest?  Would the 'enter' key be a possible approach?
> Thanks,
> Bob
>

> Allen Browne wrote:
>> Are you sure about this, Bob?
>>
>> The Change event fires with each keystroke, so firstly, you might need to
>> consider whether the data would be valid. For example, if the text box is
>> bound to a Date/Time field, it would not be valid when you have only
>> typed
>>    3/
>> Similarly if it is bound to a Number field, it would not be valid at the
>> point when you have only typed the negative sign.
>>
>> If you want to proceed, the idea is to assign the Text property of the
>> text box to its Value, e.g.:
>>    Me.Surname.Value = Me.Surname.Text
>> This has the side effect of triggering other events, and typically the
>> entire select becomes selected. Consequently, the next keystroke
>> overwrites everything in the text box. Therefore you need to store the
>> SelStart and SelLength before you assign the value, and then set SelStart
>> again after making the assignment.
>>
>> If this is a memo field, there's another problem here. SelStart is an
>> integer (signed), and memos can have more than 32k characters.
>>
>> If you have not worked with the Text property or SelStart and SelLength,
>> this example might give you some clues:
>>    http://allenbrowne.com/func-InsertChar.html

0
Allen
3/22/2008 9:09:28 AM
I actually have a 2 column combo box already ... then decided to add the
text box to resolve issues I was having with displaying 2 fields while
allowing editing of only 1 of the two fields.  If you can lead me in the
right direction, maybe I can keep this simple.  THANKS VERY MUCH!  If
you have any recommendations on where to learn combo boxes better then I
would appreciate that also!
Bob

Allen Browne wrote:
> Bob, are you trying to make a text box behave like a combo does when it
> auto-completes the name for you?
>
> For example, you type the S and it displays the first name from your
> table that starts with S, and selects all the remaining characters so
> they get overwritten when you type the next character?
>
> Simplest way might be to use a combo with LimitToList set to No, and
> RowSource like this:
>    SELECT DISTINCT Surname FROM tblClient WHERE Surname Is Not Null
> ORDER BY Surname;
>
> If that's what you want to do, but you don't want to use a combo, post a
> request, and I'll try to dig up a code example.

0
BobC
3/22/2008 12:38:24 PM
Sorry, Bob: I don't understand what you are aiming to do.

>I actually have a 2 column combo box already ... then decided to add the
>text box to resolve issues I was having with displaying 2 fields while
>allowing editing of only 1 of the two fields.  If you can lead me in the
>right direction, maybe I can keep this simple.  THANKS VERY MUCH!  If you
>have any recommendations on where to learn combo boxes better then I would
>appreciate that also!
> Bob
>
> Allen Browne wrote:
>> Bob, are you trying to make a text box behave like a combo does when it
>> auto-completes the name for you?
>>
>> For example, you type the S and it displays the first name from your
>> table that starts with S, and selects all the remaining characters so
>> they get overwritten when you type the next character?
>>
>> Simplest way might be to use a combo with LimitToList set to No, and
>> RowSource like this:
>>    SELECT DISTINCT Surname FROM tblClient WHERE Surname Is Not Null ORDER
>> BY Surname;
>>
>> If that's what you want to do, but you don't want to use a combo, post a
>> request, and I'll try to dig up a code example.

0
Allen
3/22/2008 2:36:39 PM
I am confused on how to setup a combo box to do what I want:
I have a form (frmHousingNames) with an associate query (qryHousingNNames)
The query has only 2 fields (HA#, HAName)
I want to be able to edit HAName, but NOT HA#

In the associated table (tblHousingNames),
HA# is indexed (no duplicates)and is a number (1-150). I DO NOT WANT TO
ADD, CHANGE OR DELETE any of these numbers.
HAName is text field (indexed, duplicates ok) and contains typically 1-3
words.

I have set up a combo box (cboHousingNames)with 2 columns.
It is not configured correctly (It lists both fields, but I am unable to
edit HAName and it looks like it is 'attempting' to allow me to edit HA#
which leads to errors ...

I very much appreciate you time and your patience!
Bob

Allen Browne wrote:
> Sorry, Bob: I don't understand what you are aiming to do.

0
BobC
3/22/2008 3:20:46 PM
BobC,
Use the combo box to tell the form which record you want to edit.
From the combo you select the HAName you want to edit.
The after update event of the combo tells the form to show the record for
the HA# selected in the combo.
On the form you have a text box for HAName - its control source(where it
saves its data) is HAName in qryHousingNNames.
Make sure you don't have this text box's control source set something like
this =Me.cboHousingNames.Column(1)
The control source for the text box must be HAName.
Now when you change the data in the text box HAName, the change is stored
back in the table where you store the housing name.

After you have finished editing this record, you save it and move on to the
next record.
The combo updates to show the edited name.

Normally we hide the first column of the combo, as we don't need to see the
HA#.
To hide the first column, set the width of the first column to 0cm

Jeanette Cunningham

>I am confused on how to setup a combo box to do what I want:
> I have a form (frmHousingNames) with an associate query (qryHousingNNames)
> The query has only 2 fields (HA#, HAName)
> I want to be able to edit HAName, but NOT HA#
>
> In the associated table (tblHousingNames),
> HA# is indexed (no duplicates)and is a number (1-150). I DO NOT WANT TO
> ADD, CHANGE OR DELETE any of these numbers.
> HAName is text field (indexed, duplicates ok) and contains typically 1-3
> words.
>
> I have set up a combo box (cboHousingNames)with 2 columns.
> It is not configured correctly (It lists both fields, but I am unable to
> edit HAName and it looks like it is 'attempting' to allow me to edit HA#
> which leads to errors ...
>
> I very much appreciate you time and your patience!
> Bob
>

> Allen Browne wrote:
>> Sorry, Bob: I don't understand what you are aiming to do.

0
Jeanette
3/22/2008 9:10:43 PM
BobC,
here is the code which you put in the after update event of the combo.
The code makes the form show the details of the record that you selected in
the combo.
You don't edit the housing name in the combo, you edit in the text box in
the form after you choose the name in the combo.

Here is the code which makes the form show the housing name that you
selected in the combo

Sub cboHousingNames_AfterUpdate ()
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

    If Not IsNull(Me.cboHousingNames) Then

        'Search in the clone set.
        Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone
        rs.FindFirst "[KeyID] = " & Me.cboHousingNames

        If rs.NoMatch Then
            MsgBox "Not found"
        Else
           'Display the found record in the form.
            Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
        End If
        Set rs = Nothing
    End If
End Sub

Jeanette Cunningham

"BobC" <Bob.NoSpammm@cox.net> wrote in message
>I am confused on how to setup a combo box to do what I want:
> I have a form (frmHousingNames) with an associate query (qryHousingNNames)
> The query has only 2 fields (HA#, HAName)
> I want to be able to edit HAName, but NOT HA#
>
> In the associated table (tblHousingNames),
> HA# is indexed (no duplicates)and is a number (1-150). I DO NOT WANT TO
> ADD, CHANGE OR DELETE any of these numbers.
> HAName is text field (indexed, duplicates ok) and contains typically 1-3
> words.
>
> I have set up a combo box (cboHousingNames)with 2 columns.
> It is not configured correctly (It lists both fields, but I am unable to
> edit HAName and it looks like it is 'attempting' to allow me to edit HA#
> which leads to errors ...
>
> I very much appreciate you time and your patience!
> Bob
>

> Allen Browne wrote:
>> Sorry, Bob: I don't understand what you are aiming to do.

0
Jeanette
3/22/2008 9:15:13 PM
BobC,
I am  assuming that you have cboHousingNames in the header section of your
form.
To answer your concern about having a space in the name of the housing:
spaces in names are a problem when the name is the name of a field in a
table or the name of the table.
It doesn't appear that you have either of these 2 situations. It is quite OK
to have a space in the data for the name of the housing when it is stored in
the table.

Jeanette Cunningham

"Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> BobC,
> Use the combo box to tell the form which record you want to edit.
> From the combo you select the HAName you want to edit.
> The after update event of the combo tells the form to show the record for
> the HA# selected in the combo.
> On the form you have a text box for HAName - its control source(where it
> saves its data) is HAName in qryHousingNNames.
> Make sure you don't have this text box's control source set something like
> this =Me.cboHousingNames.Column(1)
> The control source for the text box must be HAName.
> Now when you change the data in the text box HAName, the change is stored
> back in the table where you store the housing name.
>
> After you have finished editing this record, you save it and move on to
> the next record.
> The combo updates to show the edited name.
>
> Normally we hide the first column of the combo, as we don't need to see
> the HA#.
> To hide the first column, set the width of the first column to 0cm
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>

> "BobC" <Bob.NoSpammm@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I am confused on how to setup a combo box to do what I want:
>> I have a form (frmHousingNames) with an associate query
>> (qryHousingNNames)
>> The query has only 2 fields (HA#, HAName)
>> I want to be able to edit HAName, but NOT HA#
>>
>> In the associated table (tblHousingNames),
>> HA# is indexed (no duplicates)and is a number (1-150). I DO NOT WANT TO
>> ADD, CHANGE OR DELETE any of these numbers.
>> HAName is text field (indexed, duplicates ok) and contains typically 1-3
>> words.
>>
>> I have set up a combo box (cboHousingNames)with 2 columns.
>> It is not configured correctly (It lists both fields, but I am unable to
>> edit HAName and it looks like it is 'attempting' to allow me to edit HA#
>> which leads to errors ...
>>
>> I very much appreciate you time and your patience!
>> Bob
>>

>> Allen Browne wrote:
>>> Sorry, Bob: I don't understand what you are aiming to do.

0
Jeanette
3/22/2008 9:22:49 PM
BobC,
I have found an example that shows what I was trying to explain.
here is the link to download the sample database
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/download3.asp?SampleName=ComboChoosesRecord.mdb

> BobC,
> here is the code which you put in the after update event of the combo.
> The code makes the form show the details of the record that you selected
> in the combo.
> You don't edit the housing name in the combo, you edit in the text box in
> the form after you choose the name in the combo.
>
> Here is the code which makes the form show the housing name that you
> selected in the combo
>
> Sub cboHousingNames_AfterUpdate ()
>    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
>
>    If Not IsNull(Me.cboHousingNames) Then
>
>        'Search in the clone set.
>        Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone
>        rs.FindFirst "[KeyID] = " & Me.cboHousingNames
>
>        If rs.NoMatch Then
>            MsgBox "Not found"
>        Else
>           'Display the found record in the form.
>            Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
>        End If
>        Set rs = Nothing
>    End If
> End Sub
>

> Jeanette Cunningham
>

> "BobC" <Bob.NoSpammm@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I am confused on how to setup a combo box to do what I want:
>> I have a form (frmHousingNames) with an associate query
>> (qryHousingNNames)
>> The query has only 2 fields (HA#, HAName)
>> I want to be able to edit HAName, but NOT HA#
>>
>> In the associated table (tblHousingNames),
>> HA# is indexed (no duplicates)and is a number (1-150). I DO NOT WANT TO
>> ADD, CHANGE OR DELETE any of these numbers.
>> HAName is text field (indexed, duplicates ok) and contains typically 1-3
>> words.
>>
>> I have set up a combo box (cboHousingNames)with 2 columns.
>> It is not configured correctly (It lists both fields, but I am unable to
>> edit HAName and it looks like it is 'attempting' to allow me to edit HA#
>> which leads to errors ...
>>
>> I very much appreciate you time and your patience!
>> Bob
>>

>> Allen Browne wrote:
>>> Sorry, Bob: I don't understand what you are aiming to do.

0
Jeanette
3/22/2008 10:05:13 PM
Jeanette,
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
I had a lot of misunderstandings about combo boxes ... probably the
worst of which was the fact that I was trying to use it to actually
perform the editing of the fields!
Now I believe I understand them much better!
Thanks for taking the time and efforts to help me out!
I do not know what I would do without this site and people like yourself!
Bob

Jeanette Cunningham wrote:
> BobC,
> I have found an example that shows what I was trying to explain.
> here is the link to download the sample database
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/download3.asp?SampleName=ComboChoosesRecord.mdb
>
> Jeanette Cunningham
>

> "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> BobC,
>> here is the code which you put in the after update event of the combo.
>> The code makes the form show the details of the record that you selected
>> in the combo.
>> You don't edit the housing name in the combo, you edit in the text box in
>> the form after you choose the name in the combo.
>>
>> Here is the code which makes the form show the housing name that you
>> selected in the combo
>>
>> Sub cboHousingNames_AfterUpdate ()
>>    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
>>
>>    If Not IsNull(Me.cboHousingNames) Then
>>
>>        'Search in the clone set.
>>        Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone
>>        rs.FindFirst "[KeyID] = " & Me.cboHousingNames
>>
>>        If rs.NoMatch Then
>>            MsgBox "Not found"
>>        Else
>>           'Display the found record in the form.
>>            Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
>>        End If
>>        Set rs = Nothing
>>    End If
>> End Sub
>>

>> Jeanette Cunningham
>>

>> "BobC" <Bob.NoSpammm@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> I am confused on how to setup a combo box to do what I want:
>>> I have a form (frmHousingNames) with an associate query
>>> (qryHousingNNames)
>>> The query has only 2 fields (HA#, HAName)
>>> I want to be able to edit HAName, but NOT HA#
>>>
>>> In the associated table (tblHousingNames),
>>> HA# is indexed (no duplicates)and is a number (1-150). I DO NOT WANT TO
>>> ADD, CHANGE OR DELETE any of these numbers.
>>> HAName is text field (indexed, duplicates ok) and contains typically 1-3
>>> words.
>>>
>>> I have set up a combo box (cboHousingNames)with 2 columns.
>>> It is not configured correctly (It lists both fields, but I am unable to
>>> edit HAName and it looks like it is 'attempting' to allow me to edit HA#
>>> which leads to errors ...
>>>
>>> I very much appreciate you time and your patience!
>>> Bob

0
BobC

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Errors in Event Viewer
I have three errors in event viewer that occur during computer startup. How can I address these? 1) Event Source=Dhcp, ID=1002 Description: The IP address lease 192.168.1.21 for the Network Card with network address 00508D8287D7 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message). (note: The computer is connected by Ethernet cabling) Comcast cable --->cable modem --->Netgear router --->computer (The error is obviously related to the router but the signal should be just passing through the router.) 2) Event Source=Service Control Man...

Text Values #2
I'm tryng to build a spreadsheet to track employee vacations. How do I sum 8 hours if a cell has a "V" entered and 4 hours if a cell has an "X" entered? Assuming you're using column A, and each row is either the number of hours worked, or a V or a X, then use a helper column, B, and insert this in B1 and copy down.......change the A1's to A2's if you have a header in Row 1, and put this in B2. =IF(A1="V",8,IF(A1="X",4,A1)) Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Brando" <carpenterchsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1113...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

events in office 2000 do not go away
environment: office 2000 on XP sp1 or 2000 sp3 when an event occurs you get the option of Dismiss or Snooze or X the wnidow. regardless of method of dismissal of message the event will re-appear regularly. usually hourly. one of my users now has 20 of these appearing! Help Please Thanks muchly Jeff Poretsky IT Manager The Studio Theatre (please cc me in mail if possible {it at studiotheatre dod org} ...

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

text boxes filled with color
When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? Lavanya <Lavanya@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > When I fill any text bos with color while creating anm e-mail > publication, the text boxes are converted into images instead of > text, thus making my file size bigger. How to change this? There is no way to change it. This is the way Publisher works. Publisher is not designed for outputting small HTML code. --...

Popup Form with Combo Box
I have a popup form with a combobox to select a field from a query to generate a report. The combobox however needs to pull from mnemonic2 and mnemonic3 fields in table PDM. I cannot make an appended filed in the table as it is on a server and is unchangable. 1. Can I make an appended field in the query for the 2 fields to which I can attach the form to open when the report starts? I have tried to combine the fields and that just merges the 2 different mnemonics for the item. I just want to search both columns for the mnemonic enetered by the user. 2. Can the combo box search both fields wit...

Help needed

Combo Box Text Alignment
Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a combo box other then the standard "Left-Right-Center" preset options ? Thanks - George What specifically are you looking for? Assuming you use a query as the RowSource, you've always got the option of concatenating spaces in front (or after) a field. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1366215-05A0-45BB-A27B-272A47458FC8@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to tweek the text alignment in a ...

A full page of email text shrinks to one inch or less w/ new batte
I was answering emails and everyhting was fine. The batteries in my wireless mouse died. I replaced them and went back to answering emails. When I clicked the "forward" or "reply" button , a full page text in an email shrank to about one inch. Changing the font size did not correct the problem. HELP it's your zoom setting. Hold ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to increase. Depending on the mouse, you could have accidently pressed a mouse button and changed it when you changed the batteries. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.o...

Need help on this....thanks

Excel 2003 coding issue
I have a button, when pressed it will ask the user to select the email address from sheet 2, the problem i'm having is if I hide columns A, B and C it comes up with a debug error but if the columns stay visable it works? VB highlights the following: Set EmailAddr = Application.InputBox("Select Email Addresses, Click on the Email Worksheet" & vbCrLf & _ "Hold down Contrl Key to select multiple addresses", Type:=8) Please help. ...

I need Help

need help badly

Missing Text #5
Hello, I have a problem with Outlook XP (2002) that I can't find a solution for. When this particular user receives a reply to an email she sent, the frist couple of lines of the reply text will appear in the auto preview (the preview in the message listing in the inbox) but when she opens the message itself by double clicking it, that reply text is missing. I've updated Outlook to SP3 and even tried reinstalling it once. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks, Rod ...

VBA code to run macro in certain file based on name of file in cel
I am trying to come up with code that will run a macro in a workbook where the path and name of the workbook are in a cell reference. I have tried the following with no luck. The path to the file is located in cell F36 of worksheet, "Customize" and the name of the file is located in cell F42. The name of the macro is "ClearTotalSavings". Any help from one of you gurus would sure be appreciated. Application.Run "'" & Workbooks(Sheets("Customize").Range("F36").Value) & "\" & Sheets("Customize").R...

MSCRMEmail errors in event log
Running CRM 4.0 (rollup 3) and I am receiving the following message about every second in the application log. Exchange is on a different server. We are using "Forward Mailbox" for incoming email and "E-mail Router" for outgoing. We continue to have issues with emails being automatically promoted to CRM, as sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. #14494 - A provider work item using assembly: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailProviders.dll and class: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.ExchangePollingMailboxProvider has been aborted because it has been running for lo...

Need Help Despertly!

CODE: 0x800CCC79
Messages won't transmit. I receive the following: Account: 'pop-server.satx.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.satx.rr.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.5.2 RCPT TO syntax error', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79 To fix this problem: - Open Outlook Express, and click *Tools* - Then click on *Accounts* - Then click on your Tiscali connection and click *Properties* - Then click *Advanced* - On this screen remove the checks from the boxes *This server requires a secure connection* for both *Outgoi...