How to display background text in a text box?

I'm not sure how to search for this but what I want to do is to
include some kind of background message inside a text box to alert
user what type of data they should enter...for example, instead of a
blank text box - i want it to say [Enter your userid here] -- then the
message goes away as soon as the user clicks or tabs to the text box.
Similar to the search box in Microsoft ClipArt downloads -- where the
text box says "Searh All Media Type" in gray text.

Is this possible? If so, what would you call this feature so I could
search for it or if someone could post a code -- I would really
appreaciate the help.

Thank you,

Sharon
0
azu_daioh

There's no native Access way to do this, but it's not difficult with a little
code.

In the Property sheet for your textbox in the Default Value property place

"[Enter your userid here]"

then use this code:

Private Sub YourTextbox_GotFocus()
If Me.YourTextbox = "[Enter your userid here]" Then
  Me.YourTextbox.SelStart = 0
  Me.YourTextbox.SelLength = Len(Me.YourTextbox)
End If
End Sub

Private Sub YourTextbox_Click()
If Me.YourTextbox = "[Enter your userid here]" Then
  Me.YourTextbox.SelStart = 0
  Me.YourTextbox.SelLength = Len(Me.YourTextbox)
End If
End Sub

This will place your prompt in the textbox, and when the user moves to the
control, either by tabbing in or clicking in, the prompt will be hilited and
the user can simply overwrite it.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
3/19/2008 9:32:55 PM
Thanks for the help. It works.
I have another request...is there a way to remove the default value
when the control has the focus? I tried changing value to "" but it
gives me a "type mismatch" error message.

Thanks again for the help.

0
azu_daioh
3/20/2008 6:39:13 PM
Thank you.  I got it to work :)

0
azu_daioh

Dual Displays

Vba code cannot select text pasted from .txt file
The data I'm working with is from a .txt file which was created by exporting a .pdf to a text file. I copy all of the text from the .txt file and paste it into a column in Excel. When trying to reference any column, row, or range on the sheet with the pasted text, I get the following error: Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error. Sample code: Sheets("Sheet5").Select ' <this works fine Columns("A:A").Select ' <this gets the error I've tried pasting the text with other paste special options. I'v...

Define name box size too small for viewing large formulas
Hi, When we create a new name using insert and define name then if the formula is long it becomes difficult to view the whole formula. Also one is not able to use navigation buttons left,right here as if we do that then the formula gets modified. is there any way to see the whole formula. Like for creating ever expanding validation list using Debra's technique one uses offset etc but one is not able to view the whole big formula. Please guide me. Regards, Hari India Hi try hitting F2 while in this text box. After this you should be able to navigate within this box. -- Regards Frank ...

Folder could not be displayed

Message Box On One Sheet Only
I have a large spreadsheet with multiple worksheets in it. When one specific worksheet is selected (it does the calculations used on the other pages) I would like a pop-up text box to appear warning the user not to print it. Is there a relatively easy way to do this given that I can't write VB (though I can follow it in the VB editor)? I have been able to create a pop-up that appears on every page by putting an Auto_Open Msgbox in the ThisWorkbook module, but can't figure out how to get it to work on only one worksheet - is this a syntax probem or can't it be done?. Anoth...

Converting Revisions to Text
I have two word files. I do a comparison of the two files. I would like to convert the comparison result into a file where the revisions are actual text and formatting. For example, I would like the deletions to become text with strikethrough, not text marked as a deletion displayed with a strikethough. I need this to export to another application. Is there any simple way to do this? ...

grey text box
Need help adding the grey box to a document to click and fill basically. Deanna wrote: > Need help adding the grey box to a document to click and fill > basically. See http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. ...

How to select & display distinct values

Display Time in Outlook

Notebook Layout View: No page width zoom, cheesy backgrounds
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I just upgraded to Word 2008 and I just want to vent. I can't believe there's no page width zoom in Notebook Layout View. <br><br>I also really hate the forced view of cheesy backgrounds like woodgrain, leather and titanium. I want to outline and take notes--not to see the tacky interior design preferences of Microsoft engineers. > I just upgraded to Word 2008 and I just want to vent. I can't believe there's > no page width zoom in Notebook Layout View. There is. The zoom...

PK and FK Displayed

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Two address/one box
Due to a server crash we made changes to email addresses. Now some people are not receiving their email. Can we have two email addresses going into one email box? How? Please be specific as I am new at this. Thanks! You can set up an alias for the person within the exchange properties (sorry can't remember which tab) "Sam" wrote: > Due to a server crash we made changes to email addresses. Now some people > are not receiving their email. Can we have two email addresses going into > one email box? How? Please be specific as I am new at this. > Thanks! ...

Stop displaying a line

Converting number to text

Display or not display series

Comment Type Box??
Is it somehow possible to assign a description box/ comment box to an item so that when that item is entered or scanned it pops up allowing text to be entered. (A bit like ctrl+F10). Any help would be brill !! Really the only way out of the box is with CTRL+F10. A customization would certainly be able to make this happen though. If you are intested in finding out what it would take to make happen, drop me an email and we can discuss. -- Thank you, Ryan Sakry Program Manager Retail Information Technology Enterprises 320-230-2288 rsakry@rite.us http://www.rite.us ...

Displaying an equation
I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have equations in them. I want to have a cell that displays this equation with the answers that are calculated from these other cells displayed as values in the new equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#getformula In article <E4143E2B-360A-4B43-955F-73BF8EC60694@microsoft.com>, "hoising8" <hoising8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have > eq...

Filter a List Box Using a Combo Box
I have a dialog box that contains a list box of all my records; basically this is used as a way for a person to find/edit a previously-entered record (select from list box and click to edit/view). The list box is based on a simple query. I want to add a combo box that will allow me to filter the list box by one of the fields - so the user could select what type of record he/she would like to see, and the list box would automatically filter. I know I need an After Update event on the combo box, but I can't figure out the code. The complicating factor is that there are other filter...

Retrieve Meeting Response Text Associated with an Appointment
How do I retrieve the text of meeting responses associated with an appointment? I have redeveloped a macro which produces a word document listing the meeting response status of invitees to an appointment. I would like, for those who declined, to include the body of the meeting response (ie., where the invitee has chosen to "Edit response before sending." While the Meeting Response Status is a Recipient property, the text of the response is not. Any ideas? I'm including the macro below: Public Sub PrintAttendees() ' Gather data from an opened appointment ...