How do I add a record to a bound field on a subform?

Hi, i have a form, mostly with product info, and on it i have a subform with
buyer info. The subform tracks the main form ok (finally) but when i try to
enter new information into the subform i get this error message:

"control cant be edited; it's bound to the exression [Buyer_name]"

How the heck do you manage this?

Thanks for any direction,

Richard Stricker

0
Richard

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:02:23 -0700, "Richard Stricker" <clearpath@cox.net>
wrote:

>Hi, i have a form, mostly with product info, and on it i have a subform with
>buyer info. The subform tracks the main form ok (finally) but when i try to
>enter new information into the subform i get this error message:
>
>"control cant be edited; it's bound to the exression [Buyer_name]"
>
>How the heck do you manage this?

What is the Recordsource property of the subform?  Please post the SQL. And
what is the Control Source of the textbox? It sounds like Buyer_Name is a
calculated expression (perhaps a concatenation or a DLookUp???) rather than a
field in a table.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
6/13/2007 7:04:10 AM
Thanks for helping with this question. I am really tangled up on the
concepts.

I have a product table and a buyers table. They are related by buyer_name in
the buyers table and the buyer_ID in the product table.

The product table is the source for my main form. I want to include the
buyers name and email from the buyers table.

Using the wizard I was able to add a combo box that reflects the buyer for a
particular product. This tracks along as I hoped.

Here is the code for that combo:
control source  Buyer_ID
row source   SELECT [Buyers].[Buyer_ID], [Buyers].[Buyer_name] FROM Buyers;

Then I have another field for the buyer email (which is from the buyers
table). When I run the form I get a #Name? error in that field.

Here is the code for that field:  control source
=[Buyers]![Buyer_contact_email]

You can see I have restructured my original question because I realized I
have no clue about the concepts of combining data from more than one table
on a form.

Should the data from the second table be on subform (my original approach,
but because I wanted to make the form not visible until there was a buyer
for the product, not because I knew what I was doing).

Or should the data reference a query? or be on a subform based on a query
that blends the data?

Thanks for any clarity you can share. I am really confused at this point.
The idea of adding a new record to the buyers table from within the product
form can wait.

Richard

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:02:23 -0700, "Richard Stricker" <clearpath@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, i have a form, mostly with product info, and on it i have a subform
>>with
>>buyer info. The subform tracks the main form ok (finally) but when i try
>>enter new information into the subform i get this error message:
>>
>>"control cant be edited; it's bound to the exression [Buyer_name]"
>>
>>How the heck do you manage this?
>
> What is the Recordsource property of the subform?  Please post the SQL.
> And
> what is the Control Source of the textbox? It sounds like Buyer_Name is a
> calculated expression (perhaps a concatenation or a DLookUp???) rather
> than a
> field in a table.
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Richard

Update dynamicly a query field formula
Hi All,Is it possible to update a query formula by vba code?for now i found a solution by just building a dynamic query,but iprefer to have an option to update just one field with new formulafrom time to time,is it posible?...

Add Birthdates to Calendar
I have birthdates listed for my contacts. What do I do to make them show up in Events atop my calendar? "SKSmith" <SKSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:604E0640-DF72-4411-B4FC-B0A24AF7AE50@microsoft.com... >I have birthdates listed for my contacts. > What do I do to make them show up in Events atop my calendar? How did you add the birthdays? By default, when you open a contact record and add a birthday to the contact, it will show up in the Calendar automatically. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

scanned items from register adds items to inventory transfer scree
I have a client is having this strange issue. They're on a backoffice computer using the Manager program and adding items to a inventory transfer and at the same time a clerk is ringing up a customer at the front pos register and as they scan the items into the pos register, it also adds those scan items to the backoffice manager transfer items screen. They are running 2 stores with HQ version 2.00.0112. This sounds like a bug in the software. Would applying hotfix 114 fix this issue? Thanks Dave Sounds like a bug - if you are on maintenance log it with MS - several months ago I a...

Make the current cost field editable when using Item Copy.
When the Item Copy function in Item Maintenance is used to copy an item that uses an Average Perpetual valuation method, the current cost is taken from the source item and the current cost field is them locked down. This forces users to use the Change Average Cost utlity to alter the current cost for new items. If a new item is manually entered, and it uses an Average Perpetual valuation method, the current cost field is editable until the record is saved. When creating a new Average Perpetual item using Item Copy the current cost field should be editable until the record is saved. -...

Unable to add Query-based Distribution Group to Public Folders Permissions
Hello. I follow the following process to add a query-based distribution group to the ACLs of a public folder: Right Click on the folder -> Properties Permissions Tab -> Client Permissions Button Whenever I add a group, I press OK. As soon as I go back to check the permissions, they have reverted to defaults. I can add individual users and simple distribution groups, but not query-based ones. Any ideas? Rob Vella rob@absnetworks.com Query-based distribution groups can not be security principals. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822897 Mariah <robvella@gmail.com> skrev i med...

Multiple Values in One Record
I am following Dave Healey's code to report multiple values in one record (http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.access.reports/ msg/dbea034deb75430e?dmode=source). I think I have a syntax error in the ControlSource designation. BACKGROUND Specifically, my tblCI contains a field (CI) which is related to tblClassesCI which contain the Classes for the CI. A standard report indicates multiple Classes for each CI. The requirement is to separate multiple records by a comma in one field. Per Dave's specifications, I have a query named "qryCI" with a "CI" field....

Added a field but it doesn't save
I added a field on our form. It looks like it was okay but every time I put a value/data in, the value/data isn't saved. Am I doing something wrong? Did I add the field incorrectlY? Thanks You need to add the field to your table then in the control source of the text box select the field name that you entered in the table. Example: So you want to add a field to the form called "Cost" Go to your main table in design view and enter Cost and select Currency from the Combo Box. Open your form in design view and from the Field List in your toolbar select the word Cost and dr...

Sorting records in subform
I'm having problems sorting the records by a particular field (SampleDate) for a subform. I can have them sorted no problem in the actual form the subform is based on, but no matter what I do the subform will not sort!! What is going on?? Please help. Dave B On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:42:01 -0800, Dave <Dave.Beaune@lhsc.on.ca> wrote: >I'm having problems sorting the records by a particular field >(SampleDate) for a subform. I can have them sorted no problem in the >actual form the subform is based on, but no matter what I do the >subform will not sort!! What is going...

Count uniq records and assign to a control
SID is the field of underline query of a form (have many duplicates). I want to count number of uniq SID and assign the result to TotalStudent control on the form. Please help. Thanks - Song In article <e90AFyUbHHA.1388@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, csitnnn@hotmail.com says... > SID is the field of underline query of a form (have many duplicates). I want > to count number of uniq SID and assign the result to TotalStudent control on > the form. Please help. Thanks > > - Song > > > Maybe with a saved query such as Query1: SELECT DISTINCT SID FROM UnderlyingQ...

problem when entering manually a record in the CRM tables
Why when I enter manually (via SQL Studio Management) a record in the tables (base, extension) that represent an entity in a CRM, I can see this record via the CRM Interface. Any idea about this issue? Microsoft recommends that you do not enter data directly into the SQL tables for CRM. This is unsupported. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Ahmed Maaloul" wrote: > Why when I enter manually (via SQL Studio Management) a record in the tables > (base, extension) that represent an entity in a CRM, I can see this record > via the CRM Interface....

macro to add a comma
I need to add a comma at the end of every cell entry in one column and am not having any success doing it. It's gotta be easy for someone. Help. BrianMultilLanguage wrote: > I need to add a comma at the end of every cell entry in one column > and am not having any success doing it. It's gotta be easy for > someone. Help. If the column that you want to add a comma is A, try to put the formula in column B =A1 & "," Copy the formula to others cells in the same column (B) -- Rodrigo Ferreira Regards from Brazil Rodrigo, That will add commas to empty ce...

Add-in tab keeps disappearing in Word 2007
Hi Word Gurus, We have just moved over from Office 2003 to Office 2007. One of our staff uses special software that works together with Word. However, the add-ins tab that normally appears with the appropriate buttons for the special software keeps coming and going! The software is loaded correctly, it appears for a while, then suddenly is no longer. Reinstalling the special software isn't helping. (However, other staff using the same special software don't have an issue). Any ideas why this might be happening or what we need to check? Kind regards JD2 To m...

Could you please log a suggestion with MBS to add a function to P.
Could you please log a suggestion with MBS to add a function to Prof Tools to change a serial number. ...

Add-on Disabled issue
We're running computers in a public environment. These are Children's computers so when a patron tries to go to certain sites (Webkinz, Cartoon Network, GamePost, Mini Clips), it will not display the pages properly. A "Add-on Disabled" window pops up as well. I believe these sites are trying to load Flash Player. Now if I disable the Group Policy and log in as the patron, the pages work fine. There is some setting dealing with IE7 and the add-ons but I have not come across it yet. If someone knows what I should be looking for so I can enable or disable it, I'...

Need to show company name in To: Field
I am importing addresses from Access to Contacts folder. I want to show company name in To fields rather than full name. All contact records need to be filed by company name but I also need to see individuals contact names in their record. I have tried to import with Company name as "name" field, but this ends up with last part of name being filed first with a comma. HELP ...

No records in ContactExntensionBase table
We imported over 40,000 contacts into ContactBase table in CRM 3 but not a single a record was created in ContactExtensionBase table. Why?? If we manually created a contact then records are found in both tables. Any idea? Please help. Thanks. ContactExtensionBase table is used for custom fields for Contact. I'm not clear what you mean by importing contacts into ContactBase table. Did you insert record to ContactBase table manually or did you import contacts through CRM SDK or some other methods? For getting record when you manually create a contact using CRM, if you have ad...

Auto-populating a reference field
In the Purchasing module within the Payable Transaction Entry Distribution window, we have the ability to type a description of a transaction on the Distribution Reference field. Is there a way to automatically populate each entry with the vendor name and voucher number? Scott, There is nothing like this out of the box, you might need to write few VBA lines of code to have this done. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 Great Package For Business Solutions daoudm@greatpbs.com http://www.greatpbs.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "S...

summary type field in IV30102
what is the summary type field in IV30102 Scott: There are two types SMRYTYPE = 1 means you have the item set up to maintain calendar year history. If the SMRYTYPE = 2 means you have the item set up to maintain fiscal year history. So if you go to Item Maintenance and pull up your item and then click on the options button it will take you to the screen Item Maintenance Options. You will see in the lower right of the screen there is a Maintain History section. If you have Calendar Year checked then things will be written to the IV30102 under the SMRYTYPE = 1. If you have Fiscal Yea...

Recording Sports Tournaments
Hi, I am trying to concoct a spreadsheet that will keep a track of sport tournaments as they progress. The tournament format is one of four pools of four teams, the top tw teams progressing to the knockout stages. I have a list of the fixtures and cells in which to put the score during matches. From these cells I want to know how I can get Excel t calculate league tables for each group. I know there is a RANK function that may be of some use but it is stil a mystery to me how to run league tables in Excel and moreover how t present four different leagues on one sheet. If anyone has expe...

ListView with internal records
I would like to have a webpage with a list of items for the user to send for processing. When the user enters the page I usually would like to enter a couple of default items. Then it should be possible to edit, delete and insert items to the list. After all editing is ready, the list can be sent for processing. I found out the ListView control looked like a great candidate. I added a ListView and configured a corresponding ObjectDataSource. The ObjectDataSource calls a handler class that creates the default entities. It works fine so far. But when I want to configure the...

Using filter results to append records
I am using a form (frmSearchAlpha) that uses as its structure Allen Browne's Very Excellent filter code. The filter works great, and we have been using it for some time. We take the filter and use it in a VB SQL statement to append the filter results to another table (tblRetrievalVest) The problem is we are now filtering almost 500,000 records. The filtering doesn't take a long time, particularly after the first search, but the append SQL is beginning to. Is there code that allows us to append directly from the filter results instead running the filter all over again in the ...

Tabbing thru TabCtrl advances to new record; why?
I've built a form using TabCtrls; however, when I tab through the last field of the TabCtrl page, Access goes to the next record or a new record if I'm at the last record in the database. Any ideas on why, and how I can fix this. I'm rolling this out to new users, and I can see this as being a huge problem. They may be inputting data on their record, and then by tabbing through the page get switched over to someone else's record without even realizing it. Thank you for any help you can provide. On the properties sheet for the form go to the Other tab and change the C...

TO: Field shows duplicate names
when i send a message the auto fill completes the name when i hit send in the email it dublicates the name, so in a way outlook is checking the name twice in the global address book. this only occurs for one user in a corparation. anyone know a fix besides redoing the profile or removing the nickname file? Rather hard to say since you've provided no real information on how the address is being entered or even what version of Outlook you are using. You need to specify whether you are referring to autocompletion or autoresolution. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Brian" <...

Web Page Dialog fields
Q1. When I Cancel the Order (or close the Opportunity), the Web Page Dialog pops up. This dialog has a "Description" field. Where is this information stored? I cancelled an Order, enetered the description, but could not locate it anywhere on the form. I also checked the FilteredSalesOrder view in database and it is not there either. I wanted to include this information in an e-mail generated by workflow rule on order status change. Q2 The same web page dialog box (Cancel order) has Status reason which has only one drop down option "No Money". However, the attribute st...

Subform within a subform
I was suggested to use only one table from my project. The reason is that I want to break it apart by different queries, send the individual tables to the different field reps, they update the information, send back the tables and then with a UnionQuery, combine the information into one table. That all works find, but I can't seem to get my forms to work. What I have is three levels of information; Field, Meeting, and Person Data. I can have a Meeting_Subform that works and updates fine when I change between Fields. But I can't seem to be able to enter a PersonData_Subform within t...