Help with requery/update

I have a form called frmAuthorization with a combo box drop down menu called
RNAsssor.  I want to send an email to the Assessor chosen in the combo box
with a report attached containing the data just entered on the form.  I have
a macro set up to send the report in an email.

In the On Exit event  of the combo box I have:

DoCmd.Requery
DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrInitialAssessment.Initial"

The problem is when I exit the combo box, it does the requery and all of the
data disappears from the form, and the email is not sent.  When I take the
DoCmd.Requery out of the code, the email and report macro works, but there is
no data in the report.  This only works properly when I reopen the form, look
for the existing record, and choose the assessor again.

Any thoughts, or any additional info you may need to help me?

Thanks,

Mary Beth

Mary Beth -

I suspect that the data you have entered has not yet been saved when you run
the report, and that would be why the data is blank.  If that is the case,
replace the DoCmd.Requery with a Me.Dirty = FALSE, which saves the current
record.

If the combobox is used just to enter data, then I don't know why a requery
would be helpful.  (Whereas if an unbound combo box is used to select a
record, then a requery would be needed to display the data based on the combo
box.)

--
Daryl S

"Mary Beth" wrote:

> I have a form called frmAuthorization with a combo box drop down menu called
> RNAsssor.  I want to send an email to the Assessor chosen in the combo box
> with a report attached containing the data just entered on the form.  I have
> a macro set up to send the report in an email.
>
> In the On Exit event  of the combo box I have:
>
> DoCmd.Requery
> DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrInitialAssessment.Initial"
>
> The problem is when I exit the combo box, it does the requery and all of the
> data disappears from the form, and the email is not sent.  When I take the
> DoCmd.Requery out of the code, the email and report macro works, but there is
> no data in the report.  This only works properly when I reopen the form, look
> for the existing record, and choose the assessor again.
>
> Any thoughts, or any additional info you may need to help me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mary Beth

Thanks, Daryl, the Me.Dirty = False worked perfectly.  What does Me.Dirty
actually mean other than the fact that it saved the record?  I used
DoCmd.Requery in order to get the newly entered data into the report that I
am attaching to the email, otherwise either the data was not in the report at
all or the data from a previous record was in the report and the email
trigger wasn't working.  So is the Me.Dirty the way to go for this situation
instead of DoCmd.Requery in the future?  The combo box is bound and used to
choose a nurse assessor, then the email with the data goes to that assessor.

Thanks,

Mary Beth

"Daryl S" wrote:

> Mary Beth -
>
> I suspect that the data you have entered has not yet been saved when you run
> the report, and that would be why the data is blank.  If that is the case,
> replace the DoCmd.Requery with a Me.Dirty = FALSE, which saves the current
> record.
>
> If the combobox is used just to enter data, then I don't know why a requery
> would be helpful.  (Whereas if an unbound combo box is used to select a
> record, then a requery would be needed to display the data based on the combo
> box.)
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "Mary Beth" wrote:
>
> > I have a form called frmAuthorization with a combo box drop down menu called
> > RNAsssor.  I want to send an email to the Assessor chosen in the combo box
> > with a report attached containing the data just entered on the form.  I have
> > a macro set up to send the report in an email.
> >
> > In the On Exit event  of the combo box I have:
> >
> > DoCmd.Requery
> > DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrInitialAssessment.Initial"
> >
> > The problem is when I exit the combo box, it does the requery and all of the
> > data disappears from the form, and the email is not sent.  When I take the
> > DoCmd.Requery out of the code, the email and report macro works, but there is
> > no data in the report.  This only works properly when I reopen the form, look
> > for the existing record, and choose the assessor again.
> >
> > Any thoughts, or any additional info you may need to help me?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mary Beth

Mary Beth -

The Me.Dirty indicates that there are changes on the form that have not been
saved to the database.   Setting Me.Dirty = FALSE saves the changes to the
database.  If you run the report (which pulls from the database) while there
are changes in the form only, then those changes are not seen by tghe report,
which only looks at the database.

The DoCmd.Requery does the opposite - it pulls the data from the database
and displays it on the form.  This is needed especially in cases where we run
a query to append or update the database rather than saving changes on a
form.  The form will not display any data changed in the database unless we
requery the database.

Hope that helps!

--
Daryl S

"Mary Beth" wrote:

> Thanks, Daryl, the Me.Dirty = False worked perfectly.  What does Me.Dirty
> actually mean other than the fact that it saved the record?  I used
> DoCmd.Requery in order to get the newly entered data into the report that I
> am attaching to the email, otherwise either the data was not in the report at
> all or the data from a previous record was in the report and the email
> trigger wasn't working.  So is the Me.Dirty the way to go for this situation
> instead of DoCmd.Requery in the future?  The combo box is bound and used to
> choose a nurse assessor, then the email with the data goes to that assessor.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mary Beth
>
> "Daryl S" wrote:
>
> > Mary Beth -
> >
> > I suspect that the data you have entered has not yet been saved when you run
> > the report, and that would be why the data is blank.  If that is the case,
> > replace the DoCmd.Requery with a Me.Dirty = FALSE, which saves the current
> > record.
> >
> > If the combobox is used just to enter data, then I don't know why a requery
> > would be helpful.  (Whereas if an unbound combo box is used to select a
> > record, then a requery would be needed to display the data based on the combo
> > box.)
> >
> > --
> > Daryl S
> >

> > "Mary Beth" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a form called frmAuthorization with a combo box drop down menu called
> > > RNAsssor.  I want to send an email to the Assessor chosen in the combo box
> > > with a report attached containing the data just entered on the form.  I have
> > > a macro set up to send the report in an email.
> > >
> > > In the On Exit event  of the combo box I have:
> > >
> > > DoCmd.Requery
> > > DoCmd.RunMacro "mcrInitialAssessment.Initial"
> > >
> > > The problem is when I exit the combo box, it does the requery and all of the
> > > data disappears from the form, and the email is not sent.  When I take the
> > > DoCmd.Requery out of the code, the email and report macro works, but there is
> > > no data in the report.  This only works properly when I reopen the form, look
> > > for the existing record, and choose the assessor again.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts, or any additional info you may need to help me?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mary Beth

Yes, this helps alot.  Thanks for your explanation.  Mary Beth

"Daryl S" wrote:

> Mary Beth -
>
> The Me.Dirty indicates that there are changes on the form that have not been
> saved to the database.   Setting Me.Dirty = FALSE saves the changes to the
> database.  If you run the report (which pulls from the database) while there
> are changes in the form only, then those changes are not seen by tghe report,
> which only looks at the database.
>
> The DoCmd.Requery does the opposite - it pulls the data from the database
> and displays it on the form.  This is needed especially in cases where we run
> a query to append or update the database rather than saving changes on a
> form.  The form will not display any data changed in the database unless we
> requery the database.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "Mary Beth" wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Daryl, the Me.Dirty = False worked perfectly.  What does Me.Dirty
> > actually mean other than the fact that it saved the record?  I used
> > DoCmd.Requery in order to get the newly entered data into the report that I
> > am attaching to the email, otherwise either the data was not in the report at
> > all or the data from a previous record was in the report and the email
> > trigger wasn't working.  So is the Me.Dirty the way to go for this situation
> > instead of DoCmd.Requery in the future?  The combo box is bound and used to
> > choose a nurse assessor, then the email with the data goes to that assessor.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mary Beth
> >
> > "Daryl S" wrote:
> >
> > > Mary Beth -
> > >
> > > I suspect that the data you have entered has not yet been saved when you run
> > > the report, and that would be why the data is blank.  If that is the case,
> > > replace the DoCmd.Requery with a Me.Dirty = FALSE, which saves the current
> > > record.
> > >
> > > If the combobox is used just to enter data, then I don't know why a requery
> > > would be helpful.  (Whereas if an unbound combo box is used to select a
> > > record, then a requery would be needed to display the data based on the combo
> > > box.)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Daryl S

sumifs help

DST Updates applied but Public Folders still show appointments off
I have an SBS 2003 SP1 server with Exchange SP2 installed. I have installed the server OS patch, run the Exchange tool, run the Outlook tool, and applied the Exchange DST patch. My client's Public Folders still shows appointments as one hour off. Can anyone help with this? -- Thanks, Deanna! you ran the Time Zone data update tool for MS Outlook against the Public Folder calendars, explicitly? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Deanna" <Deanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEB13F19-7927-465B-B9C8-631FA2791F4D@microsoft.com... >I have an SBS 2003 SP1 ...

Help !

Help with this thing

Security Updates
I have in my Control Panel 38 Security Updates for Windows each with 6.83MB's & 6 Update for Windows. I am wondering if they are all necessary (especially the 38 Security Updates) or does each new update override the previous one and therefore all previous updates can be deleted or must I keep all the updates...Thanks kindly ..fipsey fipsey wrote: > I have in my Control Panel 38 Security Updates for Windows each > with 6.83MB's & 6 Update for Windows. I am wondering if they are > all necessary (especially the 38 Security Updates) or does each new > u...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

Automatic Updates should not be able to restart your computer when
When you have a very important Excel document open that you have not saved and simply go away for a few minutes, it is quite frustrating to come back and find that Windows Updates has restarted your machine for you. Shouldn't the Automated Windows Updates be aware that there are unsaved documents open? ...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Form updating on it's own!
I have a front-end / back-end situation where the tables reside on the back end machine and the forms on the front end. When I opened the form, which allows for simply data entry via some text fields, as I was typing into the first field, the form cleared! When I checked the tables, the data I had typed to that point was there... Almost like the back end PULLED the data from the other machine! Any ideas on what can cause this to happen? TIA... Dale: Yes, I know about the tab order. There are about 15 fields on this form. I was in the middle of the very first one in the tab order.....

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

League table automatic sort/update
Hi All I'm just getting up to speed with Excel and as an exercise I'm trying to implement a simple league table. What I'd like to know is how to create 'dynamically' a ranking table like the one shown below. Pos Player Points 1 Tom 124 2 Linda 122 3 Harry 107 4 Jayne 100 4 Bob 100 5 Steve 89 6 Mark 88 7 John 80 8 Angie 77 9 Andrew 71 The table is sorted on the points column, the values for which are referenced from another sheet. Ideally I'd Like the table to be sorted automatically as players points total change(based on calculations In another sheet). ...

Price/Balance Updates
Since 1/14/04, whenever I try to update the prices in my portfolio, I get a successful update, but the prices and the "Last Updated' date has not changed. I did all the Money updates to make sure I wasn't missing anything new...but no luck. Has anyone else noticed this problem ??? TK Vanacoro (hehe: while writing this I did an update and the prices updated. Go Figure!) Yes, I started have this problem also. None of my stock/index prices will update. I have uninstalled/reinstalled; it updated the first time, but thats it. It could have something to do with the MSN webserv...

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Your Help is Appreciated

Update from Recon button in Cashbook Bank Management
The Update from Recon button should have a prompt linked to it to allow a user to cancel the process if the button is hit in error. Currently if a user hits the button the update occurs and this can lead to errors in the application. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the ...

bcc help

Cached Outlook 2003 hangs "waiting to update"
Running Echange server 2003. Laptop client Win XP PRO and Office 2003 (Outlook 2003)using "cached exchange". Network connection 100MB/s hardwired, fixed IP. Upon startup the message "waiting to update folder" for inbox stays up several minutes. When updating finally starts, a few Kb may take more than an hour to update. Have check the various KB articles and found no solution. Curious: If I run detect and repair (even without closing Outlook) the update recovers and continues at full network speed once the D&R process completes. If I am lucky, it will sti...