Hello,

I am new to Access, so if anyone can help me, please assume I know
absolutely nothing!  I currently have a table with two columns, ID and
CHORE.  In each row, the ID number corresponds to a chore that I have
entered.  I would like to create a form with a button and a text field
such that when I press the button, a random chore is displayed in the
text field (supposed to make chores more "fun" for my son).  There is
no need to remove this record from future clicks (the same record can
come up over and over without any problem for me)  Can anyone explain
to me (in painstaking detail) how to do this?

Thanks!!
0
poopyurinal

Try this --
   To Do:  IIF([ID] = Rnd(Left(Right(Now(), 4),1), [CHORE],"")

--
Build a little, test a little.

"poopyurinal" <poopyurinal@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Access, so if anyone can help me, please assume I know
> absolutely nothing!  I currently have a table with two columns, ID and
> CHORE.  In each row, the ID number corresponds to a chore that I have
> entered.  I would like to create a form with a button and a text field
> such that when I press the button, a random chore is displayed in the
> text field (supposed to make chores more "fun" for my son).  There is
> no need to remove this record from future clicks (the same record can
> come up over and over without any problem for me)  Can anyone explain
> to me (in painstaking detail) how to do this?

Suppose your form has two controls, a command button named "cmdPickChore"
and a text box "txtChore" for displaying the random chore that is selected.
Suppose also that your table is named "Chores", and has the fields you
described above.  Then the code for the button's Click event could look like
this:

'------ start of code ------
Private Sub cmdPickChore_Click()

    Randomize

    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Chores", dbOpenDynaset)
    With rs

        ' Make sure we have at least one chore!
        If .EOF Then

            MsgBox _
                "Lucky you -- there are no chores to do!", _
                vbOKOnly, _
                "No Chores Defined"

        Else

            ' Okay, we have one or more chores.
            ' Make sure we know how many.

            .MoveLast

            ' Pick a random number between 0 and the number
            ' of chores (minus 1), and position the recordset
            ' to the record whose position corresponds to that
            ' number.

            .AbsolutePosition = CLng(Rnd() * .RecordCount)

            ' Get the name of that chore and display it in
            ' our text box.

            Me.txtChore = !Chore

        End If

        .Close

    End With

    Set rs = Nothing

End Sub
'------ end of code ------

Change the names in the above code as needed to correspond to the names of
your objects.

To enter this code for the command button, open the form in design view,
click on the button, bring up its property sheet, go to the Event tab, click
on the On Click property line, choose [Event Procedure] from the dropdown,
then click the "build" button (caption "...") at the end of the line.
You'll be placed in the VBA Editor, within an initial procedure stub
reading:

    Private Sub cmdPickChore_Click()

    End Sub

Paste my code (with names corrected) in place of that code.  Click Debug ->
Compile to compile the code and ensure that there are no mistakes.  Then
close the VBA window and save the form.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
11/17/2009 6:53:01 PM
On Nov 17, 12:53=A0pm, "Dirk Goldgar"
<d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
> > no need to remove this record from future clicks (the same record can
> > come up over and over without any problem for me) =A0Can anyone explain
> > to me (in painstaking detail) how to do this?
>
> Suppose your form has two controls, a command button named "cmdPickChore"
> and a text box "txtChore" for displaying the random chore that is selecte=
d.
> Suppose also that your table is named "Chores", and has the fields you
> described above. =A0Then the code for the button's Click event could look=
 like
> this:
>
> '------ start of code ------
> Private Sub cmdPickChore_Click()
>
> =A0 =A0 Randomize
>
> =A0 =A0 Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
>
> =A0 =A0 Set rs =3D CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Chores", dbOpenDynaset)
> =A0 =A0 With rs
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ' Make sure we have at least one chore!
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 If .EOF Then
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 MsgBox _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 "Lucky you -- there are no chores to do!"=
, _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 vbOKOnly, _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 "No Chores Defined"
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Else
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ' Okay, we have one or more chores.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ' Make sure we know how many.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 .MoveLast
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ' Pick a random number between 0 and the number
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ' of chores (minus 1), and position the recordset
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ' to the record whose position corresponds to tha=
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ' number.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 .AbsolutePosition =3D CLng(Rnd() * .RecordCount)
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ' Get the name of that chore and display it in
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ' our text box.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Me.txtChore =3D !Chore
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 End If
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 .Close
>
> =A0 =A0 End With
>
> =A0 =A0 Set rs =3D Nothing
>
> End Sub
> '------ end of code ------
>
> Change the names in the above code as needed to correspond to the names o=
> your objects.
>
> To enter this code for the command button, open the form in design view,
> click on the button, bring up its property sheet, go to the Event tab, cl=
ick
> on the On Click property line, choose [Event Procedure] from the dropdown=
,
> then click the "build" button (caption "...") at the end of the line.
> You'll be placed in the VBA Editor, within an initial procedure stub
> reading:
>
> =A0 =A0 Private Sub cmdPickChore_Click()
>
> =A0 =A0 End Sub
>
> Paste my code (with names corrected) in place of that code. =A0Click Debu=
g ->
> Compile to compile the code and ensure that there are no mistakes. =A0The=

I tried this as you suggested, and thank you for being so thorough!
When I try to compile the VB script, I get the error:

Compile error:

User-defined type not defined

and the following text is highlighted in the script: "rs As
DAO.Recordset"

You also said something about changing the names in the script, but
I'm not sure what you meant.

Thanks for your help!
0
poopyurinal
11/17/2009 10:51:15 PM

> I tried this as you suggested, and thank you for being so thorough!  When
> I try to compile the VB script, I get the error:
>
> Compile error:
>
> User-defined type not defined
>
> and the following text is highlighted in the script: "rs As DAO.Recordset"

That implies that you don't have a reference set to the DAO object library.
Here's how to set it:

1. While viewing the code in the VB Editor environment, click menu items
Tools -> References...

2. In the References dialog, locate the reference named "MIcrosoft DAO 3.6
Object Library".

3. Put a check mark in the box next to it.

4. Click the dialog's OK button.

If you try compiling now, you should not get the error.

> You also said something about changing the names in the script, but I'm
> not sure what you meant.

The code I posted assumed the following names of objects:

    "cmdPickChore" - the name of the command button

    "txtChore" - the name of the text box where the selected chore will be
displayed

    "Chores" - the name of the table containing the list of possible chores

    "Chore" - the name of the text field, in the Chores table, that holds
the chore name/description.

If any of these names is not correct, you should change the code to use the
correct name for that object.  Or, of course, you could change the name of
the object to match the code, if that's more convenient.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
11/18/2009 4:30:31 AM
On Nov 17, 10:30=A0pm, "Dirk Goldgar"
<d...@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote:
> "poopyurinal" <poopyuri...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I tried this as you suggested, and thank you for being so thorough! =A0=
When
> > I try to compile the VB script, I get the error:
>
> > Compile error:
>
> > User-defined type not defined
>
> > and the following text is highlighted in the script: "rs As DAO.Records=
et"

> That implies that you don't have a reference set to the DAO object librar=
y.
> Here's how to set it:
>
> 1. While viewing the code in the VB Editor environment, click menu items
> Tools -> References...
>
> 2. In the References dialog, locate the reference named "MIcrosoft DAO 3.=
6
> Object Library".
>
> 3. Put a check mark in the box next to it.
>
> 4. Click the dialog's OK button.
>
> If you try compiling now, you should not get the error.
>
> > You also said something about changing the names in the script, but I'm
> > not sure what you meant.
>
> The code I posted assumed the following names of objects:
>
> =A0 =A0 "cmdPickChore" - the name of the command button
>
> =A0 =A0 "txtChore" - the name of the text box where the selected chore wi=
ll be
> displayed
>
> =A0 =A0 "Chores" - the name of the table containing the list of possible =
chores

> =A0 =A0 "Chore" - the name of the text field, in the Chores table, that h=
olds
> the chore name/description.
>
> If any of these names is not correct, you should change the code to use t=
he
> correct name for that object. =A0Or, of course, you could change the name=
 of
> the object to match the code, if that's more convenient.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> Access tips:www.datagnostics.com/tips.html
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

That worked perfectly!  Thanks for your in depth help!
0
poopyurinal

sumifs help

Help !

Record auto numbering
I suppose I shouldn't be concerned, but my record autonumbering jumped from 135 to 432,233 when I was trying to copy and paste common info. Any way to reset? Access Rookie If the numbers don't have "meaning" nor need to be sequential, no problem. Actually if they needed to be sequential or have meaing, there would be a problem as autonumbers often aren't as you just found out. Still that is quite a jump. Copying and pasting can be a problem. It's better to import instead. You could empty the table, like exporting to Excel, then do a compact and ...

Forms, tables, etc. open in separate windows, accessible from the MS Vista taskbar
Dear All How can I set Access 2007 up in order to have the windows (forms, tables, etc.) open in separate windows, accessible from the MS Vista taskbar? In short, I would like to have Access 2007 behaving likewise Access 2003, regarding opening windows. Thanks in advance, Paul Hi Paul, I don't believe this capability exists in Access 2007. You can have the objects open in separate windows within the object workspace by doing this: - Click the Office button - Click Access Options (bottom left corner) - Click Current Database category - Under the Application Options section for the r...

Displaying cell data in a chart
Previous posts indicate a successfuly method for displaying data/text from a cell into a chart. Following this procedure, I select the chart, press the equal sign, and select the cell, and then enter. The address of the sheet and the cell address are displayed after the equal sign. When I press enter nothing seems to happen. The data are supposed to display in the middle of the chart, but I do not get any display of the data. I am in a Pivot Table worksheet but did not directly insert a Pivot Chart. I used getpivotdata and created new cells for plotting into the inserted column ch...

Help with this thing

Form records has only 1 but should have many
I have a main form with a button when click will execute: Private Sub btnCreateEmployee_Click() DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEmployee", acNormal, , , acFormEdit, acWindowNormal End Sub Most of the time when the frmEmployee opens up will show only 1 record on the record selector. I need to return to the main form and click the button again to open up the frmEmployee again to see there are many records on the record selector, any idea? Alan, Try leaving out some of the arguments. DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEmployee", acNormal This should do the trick. Also make sure there is not...

Excel chart to Access report
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I'm clutching at straws here.... I have a chart which must be created in Excel because the Access chart interface does not (to my knowledge) permit custom error bars. The problem is that I want then to include the graph in an Access report. I can see how, via automation, I can address the chart from code in the Access report. I just don't know how to actually include it, if you get my meaning. I thought placing an unbound OLE object control in the report would be a good start, but I don't seem to be able to move the chart data into...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

How do I display search terms in report?
Hi, I would like to know how to include my query parameters into my report. For example, if I search a flower database for "pink" and "blue" I'd like a report which gives me all the corresponding flowers and specifies which for search term each was found. (ie. rose- pink; lilac- blue; etc) Thanks! On the form you use to open the report, create an unbound text box called "txtParameters". Set txtparameters.visible=false Use code to fill in the value of txtparameters as the user chooses what they want a report of. Create a control in the header of your re...

Access 2007 link table login
Hi I am migrating my Access 2003 to 2007. There a lot of link tables from Oracle in my mdb file. when my applicaiton running, I have to code to login Oracle: Dim wsp As Workspace Set wsp = DBEngine.CreateWorkspace("xxx", "xxx", "xxx", dbUseODBC) Set dbs = OpenDatabase("", False, True, strConnect) ' connect via regular ODBC 'Close the database. The login is still cached so that it is available for any 'Access object that needs it during the same session. dbs.Close This code works great in 2003 but not in 2...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

How do I make a column be my default column in Access
I need to make my desricption field my default field. How do I do that? Right not it defaults to my items field. me.controlname.setfocus or in macro GoToControl "controlname" Bonnie http://www.dataplus-svc.com michelle wrote: >I need to make my desricption field my default field. How do I do that? Right >not it defaults to my items field. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200912/1 Or, if you don't want to use events, simply set your tab order from the form design view. -- Frank H R...

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Creating E-R Diagrams In Visio Based On ACCESS Database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C48BB9.47434CA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to generate an E-R diagram for an ACCESS database that I have = setup. In ACCESS I have defined all of the table relationships using the = relationships tool. Now I am looking for a way to import that = relationships data into Visio to create a more formal and commented E-R = diagram. Any ideas? Thanks, Gary --=20 Gary Novosel Recursion (noun). See recursion. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C48BB...

Your Help is Appreciated

Money 2004 Deluxe/Recording Spin-Off
Hello, Can anyone tell me what is the best way to record a spin- off, i.e. MerckMedcoHealth from Merck? Many thanks, Jim In microsoft.public.money, Jim Hammond wrote: >Hello, > >Can anyone tell me what is the best way to record a spin- >off, i.e. MerckMedcoHealth from Merck? > >Many thanks, > Go to the Merck investment details and choose "Record a spinoff" on the left. The details as to how much basis should be allocated to each is available on the web. >-----Original Message----- >In microsoft.public.money, Jim Hammond wrote: > >>Hello, &...