Getting form expression results to update to table.

The totals from the expressions in a couple fields on the form don't update
to the table.  They (the expressions) work correctly in the form, but they
(the results of the expressions) don't appear on the table after clicking
Update All.

Does anyone know how ot fix this?

Hi Peg,

First, forms don't contain fields.  They contain controls (most commonly
textboxes) which may or may not be bound to fields in the form's
recordsource.  If they are bound to a field, changing the data in the form
will change the underlying field in a table (unless the form's recordsource
happens to be a non-updateable query).

Alternatively, a textbox on a form can display the result of a calculation
(usually involving other fields from the form's recordsource).  A textbox
cannot contain a calculated expression and be bound to a field.  And, in
almost all cases, you should not be storing calculated fields in your
tables; simply display the calculation in a control in your form or report.

HTH,

Rob

"Peg" <Peg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The totals from the expressions in a couple fields on the form don't
> update
> to the table.  They (the expressions) work correctly in the form, but they
> (the results of the expressions) don't appear on the table after clicking
> Update All.
>
> Does anyone know how ot fix this?

0
Rob
2/17/2008 8:09:00 AM
Hi Rob...

Thanks for the explanation.  I'm brand new to this process and I'm learning
as I go.  Your reply "A textbox cannot contain a calculated expression and be
bound to a field." would have been useful information in the Help file.  :-)

I was sort of using the Table like a spreadsheet, but now that I understand
the process better I see they're not interchangeable.

Thanks, yes, your explanation did help.

Peg

"Rob Parker" wrote:

> Hi Peg,
>
> First, forms don't contain fields.  They contain controls (most commonly
> textboxes) which may or may not be bound to fields in the form's
> recordsource.  If they are bound to a field, changing the data in the form
> will change the underlying field in a table (unless the form's recordsource
> happens to be a non-updateable query).
>
> Alternatively, a textbox on a form can display the result of a calculation
> (usually involving other fields from the form's recordsource).  A textbox
> cannot contain a calculated expression and be bound to a field.  And, in
> almost all cases, you should not be storing calculated fields in your
> tables; simply display the calculation in a control in your form or report.
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob
>
> "Peg" <Peg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The totals from the expressions in a couple fields on the form don't
> > update
> > to the table.  They (the expressions) work correctly in the form, but they
> > (the results of the expressions) don't appear on the table after clicking
> > Update All.
> >
> > Does anyone know how ot fix this?

updating OE Addressbook
we're using Outlook express as our email client, we've created a txt file (comma seperated value) conatining the additional email addresses. Is there a way to import the txt file and update each client's address book through network rather than going to each PC and import it manually.... pls. help tnx.... Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer G...

How can I keep a maximized form maximized?
Hi All, I have a form I want maximized. I added DoCmd.Maximize to the form Open event. I set the property sheet for no min max buttos, but a minimize button still shows up next to the close button (which I have to have. Is there a majic spell I can use in VB to hide the min button? Second to making it go away, can I trap it and stop it from happening? Thanks, Max Hi Max, Are you sure you set the option minimize and maximize to none because if you did you shouldn't see neither option. Reading your post it looks like you have opted for only showing the minimize op...

Outlook Express attachments #9
When opening an e-mail with an attachment I get the message "OE has denied access to unsafe attachment". It does this with every email w/ attachments. This is on a XP machine. Is it some security setting? Thanks! laura "llbskt" <llbskt@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:093501c3d91d$5972a370$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When opening an e-mail with an attachment I get the > message "OE has denied access to unsafe attachment". It > does this with every email w/ attachments. This is on a > XP machine. Is it some security setting? > Yes! Yes! Y...

How to know if a form is loaded?
I saw this in my textbook, but I can't remember where and I haven't been able to find it (the texbook has more than 1000 pages). When I'm not looking for it, it will be right there in front of me, I'm sure. Maybe somebody knows this off the top of their heads? In Access 2000 and later, test: CurrentProject.AllForms("Form1").IsLoaded In any version: SysCmd(acSysCmdGetObjectState, acform, "Form1") -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than all...

expression with mixed types
Hello! if I have this expression long = int * uint * ushort * short; how is the implicit conversion done here for the different types in this expression. //Tony Tony Johansson wrote: > Hello! > > if I have this expression > long = int * uint * ushort * short; That's not legal C# syntax. Are you trying to refer to some arbitrary expression where the operands have the given types? > how is the implicit conversion done here for the different types in this > expression. See section 6.1, "Implicit conversions" in the C# specificati...

Using Outlook Custom Forms through OWA
Hi all, Is there any way to implement this? We have an Exchange 2003 server with Sp2. Users out of office hope to use outlook custom forms through OWA. Can this be done? ...

Updating Links in PowerPoint 2007
I have pasted in links from Excel 2007 to a PowerPoint 2007 file. Both files are on same drive. When I open the PowerPoint I get a message "Some linked files were unavailable and can't be updated." What is going on? How do I fix? In article <8D3689EE-EA7C-407F-B757-45CEDAE78976@microsoft.com>, Txm49 wrote: > I have pasted in links from Excel 2007 to a PowerPoint 2007 file. Both files > are on same drive. When I open the PowerPoint I get a message "Some linked > files were unavailable and can't be updated." What is going on? How do...

Likert scale calculation
I have used the following table in my survey: Frequency of use - check which on is applicable: every few hours every few mins every few secs item1 item2 item3 .. .. .. item10 so the sample data looks like this: id item1 item 2 ............. item10 1 hours hrs ................. mins 2 secs hrs ................. mins 3 mins hrs ................. mins I want to add up the hours secs mins for each item..for example (from the above sample): ev...

A Crystal Beginner

Update a note on a meeting but not send updates out to all attende
After a meeting request was created and sent to all our attendees, I want to add note to that meeting on my calendar but I don't want other attendees to get the note I am saving. If you are only adding to the note, no update should be sent. What version of Outlook? What addins do you have installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Excha...

Detect if MDB has autoexec or a startup form
Does anyone know of way to detect if a MDB has a autoexec or startup form in use without openned the MDB using access.exe. Many thanks in advance Function StartUp(PathToMDB As String) As String On Error GoTo EH Dim db As DAO.Database Dim strMessage As String Dim strStartForm As String If Len(Dir(PathToMDB)) > 0 Then Set db = OpenDatabase(PathToMDB) strStartForm = db.Properties("StartUpForm") If Len(strStartForm) > 0 Then strMessage = PathToMDB & " specifies " & _ strStartForm & " for startup." &...

Get paid while you get online!!

I can not open doc file attachments from outlook express 6.0
I can not open doc file attachments in outlook express 6.0 Error message - There is not enough memory to open file All other attachments eg: jpeg etc are fine I have already increased my paging memory. >-----Original Message----- >I can not open doc file attachments in outlook express 6.0 >Error message - There is not enough memory to open file >All other attachments eg: jpeg etc are fine=20 >I have already increased my paging memory. >. > These Newsgroups address Office Outlook issues. Outlook Express gurus hang out here: http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/def...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Outlook 2003 and Custom Form
I have many problems with Outlook 2003 and Coustom Form: frmCache.dat not UpDated Error when i open this form Ecc.ecc. There is a fix or a patch ( italian language ) for these problem. Thanks Claudio ...

Table of contents
I have created a large spreadsheet with numerous worksheets and would like to be able to insert a table of contents at the front of the report. Each heading in the table of contents would be the worksheet name. Is there any way of doing this? I know I can put a table of contents page in the report and fill in the page numbers by manually doing a print preview and then filling in each page number manually. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hi have a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Dave wrote: > I have created a l...

no longer downloads fund updates
hello..for some reason,unknown to me, when i click on update prices online-for my funds- they are no longer updated....the program goes through the motions but the funds are not updated...this has just recently happened...the program has worked fine up till now...any opinions would be most appreciated...thank you A number of things could cause this. Some users have been reporting problems with updating over the last couple of weeks, perhaps that's the cause. It's also possible that you have an invalid symbol - maybe one has changed recently. I'd probably go with the former ...

How to clear all checkboxes on a form?
That's it. How is it possible to create push-button functionality that resets all checkboxes to empty? Also, is it possible that pushing a button could increase a counter, or light up a first, second and third cell, that would then be reset by the button I asked for above? I thank you for your time. Arlen For Each ctl In Me.Controls If TypeName(ctl) = "CheckBox" Then ctl.Value = False End I Next ctl -- HTH Bob "Arlen" <Arlen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:700CD724-30FB-4D93-AF50-451FB658502...