Form updating on it's own!

I have a front-end / back-end situation where the tables reside on the back
end machine and the forms on the front end. When I opened the form, which
allows for simply data entry via some text fields, as I was typing into the
first field, the form cleared! When I checked the tables, the data I had
typed to that point was there... Almost like the back end PULLED the data
from the other machine!

Any ideas on what can cause this to happen?

TIA...

0
Greg

Dale:

Yes, I know about the tab order. There are about 15 fields on this form. I
was in the middle of the very first one in the tab order... THE MIDDLE! I
never even finished entering the text into that field and BAM! it
disappeared, having been written to the backend tables.

Any other suggestions??

Greg

"Dale Fye" <dale.fye@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Greg,
>
> Check the tab order for your controls, as well as the Cycle property
> (located on the Other tab of the forms property window).  If the cycle
> property is set to all records, then when you type data in the last (tab
> order) control on a form, it will automatically move to the next form.
>
> the tab order, at least initially is set by the sequence that the controls
> are added to your form.  The easiest way to change the tab order is to
> select
> the form, then select View -> Tab Order from the menu bar.
>
> HTH
> Dale
> --
> Email address is not valid.
> Please reply to newsgroup only.
>

> "Greg Casper" wrote:
>
>> I have a front-end / back-end situation where the tables reside on the
>> back
>> end machine and the forms on the front end. When I opened the form, which
>> allows for simply data entry via some text fields, as I was typing into
>> the
>> first field, the form cleared! When I checked the tables, the data I had
>> typed to that point was there... Almost like the back end PULLED the data
>> from the other machine!
>>
>> Any ideas on what can cause this to happen?
>>
>> TIA...

0
Greg
4/26/2007 1:06:38 AM
Greg,

Is this on a subform? I have a client whose computer is setup such that if
the mouse hovers over a form or control for a certain amount of time, that
control gets the focus, or in the case of a command button, actually gets
clicked.  He has had several instances where his cursor was inside the
subform, but his mouse pointer hovered over the main form for too long and
it got the focus.  As soon as the subform lost the focus, that record was
written to the database.

You might want to put some error checking the the forms BeforeUpdate event.
This way, if a field is blank that is supposed to have data in it, the form
will not lose the focus.

HTH
Dale

"Greg Casper" <gcasper@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Dale:
>
> Yes, I know about the tab order. There are about 15 fields on this form. I
> was in the middle of the very first one in the tab order... THE MIDDLE! I
> never even finished entering the text into that field and BAM! it
> disappeared, having been written to the backend tables.
>
> Any other suggestions??
>
> Greg
>
> "Dale Fye" <dale.fye@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Greg,
>>
>> Check the tab order for your controls, as well as the Cycle property
>> (located on the Other tab of the forms property window).  If the cycle
>> property is set to all records, then when you type data in the last (tab
>> order) control on a form, it will automatically move to the next form.
>>
>> the tab order, at least initially is set by the sequence that the
>> controls
>> are added to your form.  The easiest way to change the tab order is to
>> select
>> the form, then select View -> Tab Order from the menu bar.
>>
>> HTH
>> Dale
>> --
>> Email address is not valid.
>> Please reply to newsgroup only.
>>

>> "Greg Casper" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a front-end / back-end situation where the tables reside on the
>>> back
>>> end machine and the forms on the front end. When I opened the form,
>>> which
>>> allows for simply data entry via some text fields, as I was typing into
>>> the
>>> first field, the form cleared! When I checked the tables, the data I had
>>> typed to that point was there... Almost like the back end PULLED the
>>> data
>>> from the other machine!
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what can cause this to happen?
>>>
>>> TIA...

0
Dale

Reservation Form
I have an active website for my business. I built it in Frontpage 2002. It no longer will send email through the settings I used ( Reservation form) and I cannot get it to take any of the settings I give it. I do not think that my knowledge is sufisticated enough. And, I don't think that I am entering the information completely enough. I am using a simple form with a single enter button. Can you help? May be possible. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "FrontPage 2002 on windows XP" <FrontPage200...

Update tab function
I have the list of tasks in one sheet (All) but I would like to have the list of the ones I mark as "yes" in column F in sheet1 in tab named "recent" Hi Try: =IF(ROW($A2)<=COUNTIF(All!$F:$F,"?*"),INDEX(All!A:A,SMALL(IF(All!$F$1:$F$100<>"",ROW($A$1:$A$100)),ROW($A2))),"") -- it is the array formula - press:Ctrl+Shift+Enter-- Eva Click yes if I helped "Ivone" wrote: > I have the list of tasks in one sheet (All) but I would like to have the list > of the ones I mark as "yes" in column F in shee...

Auto populate a form form an open form
Hi I have a main form with customer names and addresses and would like to add a control button on this form which opens up another form which is used for recording telephone calls on. What I have been trying to do is auto populate this call log form with information from the main form ie name and address? Any thoughts Thanks Chris Chris, Please don't re-post the same question twice. You have to be patient and wait for a reply. Responders are volunteers, and you may not get an answer right away. Posting twice causes some people to respond to the first post, while others are ...

i have problem code 646 windows update encountered an unknown erro
how to fix it ? Hello komang, > how to fix it ? Reading other posts, and searching Google, Yahoo, Bing etc. etc. When requesting help in a newsgroup or a forum, please state your full Windows version, edition, and service pack level, IE version? and perhaps what other antivirus Security suite and firewall or antimalware software you may have installed. Please do so next time. <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375> -=- Take a look at this post and see if it helps- <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&...

form pozition on screen
I would like to find form position on screen. It's similar to DoCmd.movesize, but I want discover "parameters' for form position (left corner, top corner, etc) Are you saying that you want to find out what the current position IS? If so, you can use something like this: MyFormLeftVariable = Me.Left MyFormTopVariable = Me.Top MsgBox "My Form is at " & MyFormLeftVariable & VbCrLf & MyFormTopVariable Or however you want to use it. -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com ___________...

copy properties Under forms
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me with something on copying properties. I've checked the access help but can't find anything there. This is what i want to do. I'm copying text boxes, labels that has caption, name and other information in the properties that i want to keep when i copy the information to another tab on a form. Is there a way i can copy the property information without doing alot of manual work by going into each text or label box. I hope this makes sense. thanks for you help in advance. Keith When you copy a control, everything about the cop...

What is the purpose of 'Dummy' window in the Command forms
I am wondering why GP has Dummy window with title "~internal~" for the Command forms. For example Command_Financial form has Dummy window Do I need to create Dummy window for my Command forms. If so why I need it. Any comments appreciated!!! Hi Mandeep, The Dummy window is there as a placeholder. It really doesn't do anything, but should be there in order for the form to work properly since your form needs to be open for the commands to be available. The title ~internal~ just prevents this window from showing up in the Security assignment windows. Make sure that...

Cannot open the Insert object (Pdf file) form Excel 2000(9.0.8968 SP-3)
Dear All, I am no idea why I cannot open the embedded object (Pdf file) inside Excel file which using Windows ME. Once clicked the object icons, then it shows the error message likes " the embedded object cannot be opened by the source application" I used the Adobe reader 6.01 as the source application. Actually, I searched the related forum from the Internet. However, I cannot solve the problem. Anyone helps? Thanks tlee Hi, I can't test 2000 in ME, but it works fine in 2003 under XP. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire &q...

Try on this important update that comes from the Microsoft
--ytijfeavy Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="zkbviobxcb"; type="multipart/alternative" --zkbviobxcb Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ahhkscabjxsk" --ahhkscabjxsk Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help p...

Form class module for non-existent form
Hi, After copying a form with a class module, something went wrong. I now have a class module for the new form, but the form no longer exists. I am unable to remove the in-limbo class module. I want to use that name for my form, which is not possible as long as that class module is in the way. How do I get rid of the in-limbo class module? I've tried repairing tha DB as well as "msaccess /decompile" but it hasn't helped. Anything else? Thanks, Kjell Kjell, A class module is not part of a form, but a separate module. It sounds like your 'in-limbo' module is...

Setting the Windows Cursor during Form Processing
hiya gurus I would like to force the mouse cursor to immediately become an hourglass when some long processing/quering commences on a form. it appears that it takes some time for Access to show the hourglass and usually only after the user clicks the form a couple of times because there appears to be nothing happening... Is there an easy way to do this from within Access.. I have done it in VB6 using Me.MousePointer = vbHourglass but this does nto work in Access.. any suggestions? cheers Jeff mmmmm Screen.MousePointer = 11 guess this does it? "jeff" <jeff@work...

Position 2nd Form according to 1st Form
I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, I want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top of the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. "AY" <AY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFA3A4B5-36D9-4A20-AB57-601290155335@microsoft.com... >I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, >I > want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top > of > the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. You should be able to use Nicole Calinoiu...

Compare update through passport and direct download
I like the update feature that uses my passport in that it gets all accounts at once but... I really don't like having my financial data on a microsoft computer and the service seems spotty, at least during the last 3 weeks that I have been using it. Would I be better off just downloading account data from my bank's web site in money format and importing it into money? Roger "Roger" <x@y> wrote in message news:u7MIxjOiGHA.4776@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > > Would I be better off just downloading account data from my bank's web > site in money form...

TOURNAMENT FORMS
Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. You may find some old NCAA basketball tournament forms out on the web. Try http://google.com HHSTENNIS wrote: > > Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Run Macro only if certain form is open
I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form opens? In other words can I run a macro based on wheather a certain form is active? -- Thanks, Chuck Take a look at the RunMacro Method of the DoCmd object. You can have it as part of the OnLoad of the form in question. Chuck wrote: >I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on >an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form >opens? In other w...

Forms and Input Data
I created a report form on Sheet 1 and a set of input data on subsequen Sheets 2, 3, ... link to the report. The report is to show informatio on either of the data I select. Are there simple steps for me to pick either set of data I want t display on the report? I've thought of a pull-down menu so that if select "1", the report will show data set "1", and so on. Yet I don' know how to do it. I tried the "replace" command by highlighting al the cell in the Report sheet then type "2" in place of "1" to replac the data set then hitting...

Modal form opens on startup
Evenin' - I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the information to export it from Access. When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of the fellow who wrote the Access app. Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for...

"Operation must use an updateable query" error in IM
Our Client is running GP10 SP1 with all users connecting through Terminal Server to Sql 2005. Receiving error "Operation must use an updateable query" when trying to run an AP Transaction integration that has worked fine until this week. The source files are *txt files and they are not using any Sql scripting in the integration. I get that whenever I have an Access database that has somehow been marked read only or if the user I am logged in as only has read permissions. Since IM uses an Access database internally, I would suggest checking that the user who's logged i...

Trying to delete form border, and it deletes all borders
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the end I decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like it, I was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in the form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not the rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer, because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe, or do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more question, will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop ...

how to solve "Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application"
Hi, I am trying to make a modalless form in VB6 that is compiled as an ActiveX DLL. When i use VC6 to instance the activex DLL, my problem appears that "406 Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application from an ActiveX DLL, ActiveX control or Property Page." I have my form in modalless style in VB6 and they should be instanced in VC. Does anyone know how to get this to work ? Many Thanks, Xiao http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=176468 -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "arbidol" <arbidol@tom...

Temporary Form with 2 Sub form Update Main Form And its Sub form ?
I have 2 table both are exactly same PatientRecordTransTb And PatientRecordTb I know many programmer don’t like TempTb, but in my case I don’t trust some one to mess with my Main record table. So simple solution is make tamp table and after review I click to transfer all records from temp Table to main Table So I have two forms . PatientRecTransFm record sources = PatientRecordTransTb PatientRecordMainFm record source = PatientRecordTb PatientRecTransFm has 2 button AddRecord And Delete Record Here is a short story of my code (NOT A Actual Code) mySQLString = &quo...

Customization to a Contact Form Does NOT Stick
Everytime I try to add a field in a Contact form, the change does not stick. I have administrator rights, followed the instructions to customize a form to the t. The instructions entailed going to: Home -> Settings Settings tab -> System Customization Record Management -> Contacts Add Fields -select fields to add ok - > save work On the CRM server Start -> Programs -> Microsoft CRM -> Deployment Manager Right click: Deployment Manager -> All Tasks ->Publish Customization Select form customized Add Finish OK Restart IIS After performing these steps, I get b...

I need book lending forms
Please I need your help, I'm looking for book lending forms in order to keep control of which books I'm borrowing and when they have to be returned to me. Thanks ...

Using list box to open forms
I have a list box that lists all the forms in my database. I would like a user to be able to double click on something in the list box, and have it open the corresponding form. Any help on how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks. On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:35:22 -0000, lecoughlin@gmail.com wrote: > I have a list box that lists all the forms in my database. I would > like a user to be able to double click on something in the list box, > and have it open the corresponding form. Any help on how to do this > would be appreciated. > > Thanks. Code the list box Double-Cli...

New money 2005 update what did it fix?
Hey i just got a new update for money 2005 anybody know what it fixed? In microsoft.public.money, Jim wrote: >Hey i just got a new update for money 2005 anybody know what it fixed? > You might read recent threads including "Upcoming product update". Sorry I had the news reader sorted wrong so i did not see them. "Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message news:dm9op098c2eqggelbdfa05nk8tnraetjn6@4ax.com... > In microsoft.public.money, Jim wrote: > >>Hey i just got a new update for money 2005 anybody know what it fixed? &g...