form entry based on combo box/lookup

ok. I have been marauding these forums for awhile now and first of thanks to 
all those whom help others out... makes a difference.

This is my first post in here and hopefully this will make sense...


I have three tables.

one for clients
one for employees
and one for hourly charges

this database is going to end up being remotely accessed > still working on 
that part as well... but here is my current hurdle...

I have a form that outputs to the hourly charges table but pulls information 
from clients for the "PROPERTYNAME" and "COSTPERONSITE". and from employees 
for the "EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER" and "EMPLOYEEIDNAME".

I have tried about a million different versions of both
=("[EMPLOYEEIDNAME]","[EMPLOYEEIDANDCONTACT]","[EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER] ='" & 
[Forms]!INSERVICEENTRY![OFFICER1] & "'")

Where as OFFICER1 is the drop down for the EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER outputting to 
officer name...

and

 =PROPERTY.column(2) or =cboPROPERTY.Column(1) etc.... 

Whereas property is the cbo from clients. and this is attempting to enter 
the charge..

I have tried both vise versa and etc...


Every time i try either one it always comes back with #name?

any comments or suggestions?
0
Utf
8/19/2007 12:32:04 PM
access.forms 6864 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
776 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 28

"#name" refers to a field name you are trying to use that isn't being 
recognised by the record source.

What are the relationships and what are you trying to do?

-- 

The 11th day of every month:

http://truthaction.org/forum/index.php


"oddj" wrote:

> ok. I have been marauding these forums for awhile now and first of thanks to 
> all those whom help others out... makes a difference.
> 
> This is my first post in here and hopefully this will make sense...
> 
> 
> I have three tables.
> 
> one for clients
> one for employees
> and one for hourly charges
> 
> this database is going to end up being remotely accessed > still working on 
> that part as well... but here is my current hurdle...
> 
> I have a form that outputs to the hourly charges table but pulls information 
> from clients for the "PROPERTYNAME" and "COSTPERONSITE". and from employees 
> for the "EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER" and "EMPLOYEEIDNAME".
> 
> I have tried about a million different versions of both
> =("[EMPLOYEEIDNAME]","[EMPLOYEEIDANDCONTACT]","[EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER] ='" & 
> [Forms]!INSERVICEENTRY![OFFICER1] & "'")
> 
> Where as OFFICER1 is the drop down for the EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER outputting to 
> officer name...
> 
> and
> 
>  =PROPERTY.column(2) or =cboPROPERTY.Column(1) etc.... 
> 
> Whereas property is the cbo from clients. and this is attempting to enter 
> the charge..
> 
> I have tried both vise versa and etc...
> 
> 
> Every time i try either one it always comes back with #name?
> 
> any comments or suggestions?
0
Utf
8/20/2007 7:24:01 AM
to be little more in depth...

Tables 
EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER
PROPERTYANDCLIENTLISTING
ONSITE
INSPECTION
RESPONSE

Form
INOUTSERVICE -writes to ONSITE
INSPECTION - writes to inspection
RESPONSE - writes to response

The original system has been working great - basically what i am trying to 
do is instead of just logging who was where I want to include the billing 
cost that is in the PROPERTYANDCLIENT table. When an in/out / inspection / 
response is logged the first selection on each is the property then the 
employee and it includes a date and time stamp. then weekly we print reports 
based on the client and bill with that. Like I said i am trying to integrate 
the billing into one system by including the charge that is in the 
PROPERTYANDCLIENT table. When you select the property I want it to 
automatically fill in the charge. that is where i am stuck and all that is 
coming up is the #name? or nothing depending on how I write the code like 
below...

thanks again for any help / suggestions



"scubadiver" wrote:

> 
> "#name" refers to a field name you are trying to use that isn't being 
> recognised by the record source.
> 
> What are the relationships and what are you trying to do?
> 
> -- 
> 
> The 11th day of every month:
> 
> http://truthaction.org/forum/index.php
> 
> 
> "oddj" wrote:
> 
> > ok. I have been marauding these forums for awhile now and first of thanks to 
> > all those whom help others out... makes a difference.
> > 
> > This is my first post in here and hopefully this will make sense...
> > 
> > 
> > I have three tables.
> > 
> > one for clients
> > one for employees
> > and one for hourly charges
> > 
> > this database is going to end up being remotely accessed > still working on 
> > that part as well... but here is my current hurdle...
> > 
> > I have a form that outputs to the hourly charges table but pulls information 
> > from clients for the "PROPERTYNAME" and "COSTPERONSITE". and from employees 
> > for the "EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER" and "EMPLOYEEIDNAME".
> > 
> > I have tried about a million different versions of both
> > =("[EMPLOYEEIDNAME]","[EMPLOYEEIDANDCONTACT]","[EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER] ='" & 
> > [Forms]!INSERVICEENTRY![OFFICER1] & "'")
> > 
> > Where as OFFICER1 is the drop down for the EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER outputting to 
> > officer name...
> > 
> > and
> > 
> >  =PROPERTY.column(2) or =cboPROPERTY.Column(1) etc.... 
> > 
> > Whereas property is the cbo from clients. and this is attempting to enter 
> > the charge..
> > 
> > I have tried both vise versa and etc...
> > 
> > 
> > Every time i try either one it always comes back with #name?
> > 
> > any comments or suggestions?
0
Utf
8/21/2007 7:32:03 PM
I am still slightly confused about your tables.

How are they related? Does a client have more than one property?



"oddj" wrote:

> to be little more in depth...
> 
> Tables 
> EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER
> PROPERTYANDCLIENTLISTING
> ONSITE
> INSPECTION
> RESPONSE
> 
> Form
> INOUTSERVICE -writes to ONSITE
> INSPECTION - writes to inspection
> RESPONSE - writes to response
> 
> The original system has been working great - basically what i am trying to 
> do is instead of just logging who was where I want to include the billing 
> cost that is in the PROPERTYANDCLIENT table. When an in/out / inspection / 
> response is logged the first selection on each is the property then the 
> employee and it includes a date and time stamp. then weekly we print reports 
> based on the client and bill with that. Like I said i am trying to integrate 
> the billing into one system by including the charge that is in the 
> PROPERTYANDCLIENT table. When you select the property I want it to 
> automatically fill in the charge. that is where i am stuck and all that is 
> coming up is the #name? or nothing depending on how I write the code like 
> below...
> 
> thanks again for any help / suggestions
> 
> 
> 
> "scubadiver" wrote:
> 
> > 
> > "#name" refers to a field name you are trying to use that isn't being 
> > recognised by the record source.
> > 
> > What are the relationships and what are you trying to do?
> > 
> > -- 
> > 
> > The 11th day of every month:
> > 
> > http://truthaction.org/forum/index.php
> > 
> > 
> > "oddj" wrote:
> > 
> > > ok. I have been marauding these forums for awhile now and first of thanks to 
> > > all those whom help others out... makes a difference.
> > > 
> > > This is my first post in here and hopefully this will make sense...
> > > 
> > > 
> > > I have three tables.
> > > 
> > > one for clients
> > > one for employees
> > > and one for hourly charges
> > > 
> > > this database is going to end up being remotely accessed > still working on 
> > > that part as well... but here is my current hurdle...
> > > 
> > > I have a form that outputs to the hourly charges table but pulls information 
> > > from clients for the "PROPERTYNAME" and "COSTPERONSITE". and from employees 
> > > for the "EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER" and "EMPLOYEEIDNAME".
> > > 
> > > I have tried about a million different versions of both
> > > =("[EMPLOYEEIDNAME]","[EMPLOYEEIDANDCONTACT]","[EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER] ='" & 
> > > [Forms]!INSERVICEENTRY![OFFICER1] & "'")
> > > 
> > > Where as OFFICER1 is the drop down for the EMPLOYEEIDNUMBER outputting to 
> > > officer name...
> > > 
> > > and
> > > 
> > >  =PROPERTY.column(2) or =cboPROPERTY.Column(1) etc.... 
> > > 
> > > Whereas property is the cbo from clients. and this is attempting to enter 
> > > the charge..
> > > 
> > > I have tried both vise versa and etc...
> > > 
> > > 
> > > Every time i try either one it always comes back with #name?
> > > 
> > > any comments or suggestions?
0
Utf
8/22/2007 6:58:02 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Formating Alignment based on numbers
How do I align a column of numbers on the decimal point? On Feb 15, 4:05 pm, littleredhairedgirl <littleredhairedg...@gmail.com> wrote: > How do I align a column of numbers on the decimal point? Hi littlehairedgirl, have a look at these sites: * http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html * http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/CustomFormats.htm * http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/ffae8c65eba4d9c8?hl=en Have a nice day Michael ...

Reservation Form
I have an active website for my business. I built it in Frontpage 2002. It no longer will send email through the settings I used ( Reservation form) and I cannot get it to take any of the settings I give it. I do not think that my knowledge is sufisticated enough. And, I don't think that I am entering the information completely enough. I am using a simple form with a single enter button. Can you help? May be possible. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "FrontPage 2002 on windows XP" <FrontPage200...

Auto populate a form form an open form
Hi I have a main form with customer names and addresses and would like to add a control button on this form which opens up another form which is used for recording telephone calls on. What I have been trying to do is auto populate this call log form with information from the main form ie name and address? Any thoughts Thanks Chris Chris, Please don't re-post the same question twice. You have to be patient and wait for a reply. Responders are volunteers, and you may not get an answer right away. Posting twice causes some people to respond to the first post, while others are ...

Export mail box
Ecahnge server 2000. Hard drives are full. How do I export mail boxes. Can I use eseutil?? Eseutil is not used to Export mailboxes. It is used to defragment/compact the database, and to repair corrupt message stores. IF you are thinking about trying to use it to decrease the size of your store, then you need to rememeber a couple of things. 1. In order to decrease the size, there must be whitespace. Refer to event 1221 in your App log to see how much whitespace you have. I doubt there is a lot, though. 2. Running eseutil to defragment requires that 110% of the future size of the ...

What is the purpose of 'Dummy' window in the Command forms
I am wondering why GP has Dummy window with title "~internal~" for the Command forms. For example Command_Financial form has Dummy window Do I need to create Dummy window for my Command forms. If so why I need it. Any comments appreciated!!! Hi Mandeep, The Dummy window is there as a placeholder. It really doesn't do anything, but should be there in order for the form to work properly since your form needs to be open for the commands to be available. The title ~internal~ just prevents this window from showing up in the Security assignment windows. Make sure that...

Count cells based upon criteria in other cells
The cells in column J contains donations made by various individuals. Cells in column R contain certain member classifications. Am looking for a formula that looks at column R, then counts the number of entries in the corresponding cells in colum J for each member classsification. EX: in column R there are three classifications: RB1, RB2, RB3. Need to count how many donations in column J are made by each classification. Many thanks! Try the below formula =COUNTIF(J:J,"RB1") -- Jacob "JT" wrote: > The cells in column J contains donati...

form pozition on screen
I would like to find form position on screen. It's similar to DoCmd.movesize, but I want discover "parameters' for form position (left corner, top corner, etc) Are you saying that you want to find out what the current position IS? If so, you can use something like this: MyFormLeftVariable = Me.Left MyFormTopVariable = Me.Top MsgBox "My Form is at " & MyFormLeftVariable & VbCrLf & MyFormTopVariable Or however you want to use it. -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com ___________...

copy properties Under forms
Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me with something on copying properties. I've checked the access help but can't find anything there. This is what i want to do. I'm copying text boxes, labels that has caption, name and other information in the properties that i want to keep when i copy the information to another tab on a form. Is there a way i can copy the property information without doing alot of manual work by going into each text or label box. I hope this makes sense. thanks for you help in advance. Keith When you copy a control, everything about the cop...

Cannot open the Insert object (Pdf file) form Excel 2000(9.0.8968 SP-3)
Dear All, I am no idea why I cannot open the embedded object (Pdf file) inside Excel file which using Windows ME. Once clicked the object icons, then it shows the error message likes " the embedded object cannot be opened by the source application" I used the Adobe reader 6.01 as the source application. Actually, I searched the related forum from the Internet. However, I cannot solve the problem. Anyone helps? Thanks tlee Hi, I can't test 2000 in ME, but it works fine in 2003 under XP. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire &q...

Form class module for non-existent form
Hi, After copying a form with a class module, something went wrong. I now have a class module for the new form, but the form no longer exists. I am unable to remove the in-limbo class module. I want to use that name for my form, which is not possible as long as that class module is in the way. How do I get rid of the in-limbo class module? I've tried repairing tha DB as well as "msaccess /decompile" but it hasn't helped. Anything else? Thanks, Kjell Kjell, A class module is not part of a form, but a separate module. It sounds like your 'in-limbo' module is...

Setting the Windows Cursor during Form Processing
hiya gurus I would like to force the mouse cursor to immediately become an hourglass when some long processing/quering commences on a form. it appears that it takes some time for Access to show the hourglass and usually only after the user clicks the form a couple of times because there appears to be nothing happening... Is there an easy way to do this from within Access.. I have done it in VB6 using Me.MousePointer = vbHourglass but this does nto work in Access.. any suggestions? cheers Jeff mmmmm Screen.MousePointer = 11 guess this does it? "jeff" <jeff@work...

Text Boxes moving in document
Publisher text boxes move when a document is opened by another user on our network. How can I stop this? I fear this is a structural problem. See e.g. www.therapietips.nl. It's in Dutch but you will see a text box moving upon opening the browser. (You can check out the tool with which a site is made by looking at the code) In my own site I am working on now I am trying to use one text box and use images of other texts. I am also experimenting with saving Word documents as hypertext The problem I have is that I want a editor with which you can make quick examples of websites. ...

Position 2nd Form according to 1st Form
I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, I want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top of the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. "AY" <AY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFA3A4B5-36D9-4A20-AB57-601290155335@microsoft.com... >I have 2 Forms. When the 1st Form is openned and want I open the 2nd Form, >I > want it to position itself about 15cm form the Left and 20cm from the top > of > the 1st Form. I am using Access 2003, Thanks. You should be able to use Nicole Calinoiu...

Link to last entry #2
Well thanks for this, it has opened up the whole new concept of array formulas for me. As a novice, however, I seem to be doing something wrong. I have carried out the follwing steps; Entered a number of values in column A Entered the formula in Cell B1 and pressed CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER I then get message saying that the formula contains an error The part of the formula A65535"" is highlighted (I found it would accept the formula without these two quotation marks - but of course it does not return the right value) Is it possible to tell from this what I am doing wrong? Thanks in adva...

Journal entry has already been posted error
I have a client that uses Wennsoft and Great Plains. When they go to Transactions > Job Cost > Job Transaction Entry and click on the magnifying glass next to journal entry number, they can see a list of journal entries that should have been posted. If they click on one to try to bring it to the sreen they receive a message "Journal entry XXX has already been posted." They can see where it posted on the financial side, but not against the job. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I can fix this? Thanks, Jocelyn ...

TOURNAMENT FORMS
Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. You may find some old NCAA basketball tournament forms out on the web. Try http://google.com HHSTENNIS wrote: > > Need tournament draw sheet single elimination template. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Run Macro only if certain form is open
I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form opens? In other words can I run a macro based on wheather a certain form is active? -- Thanks, Chuck Take a look at the RunMacro Method of the DoCmd object. You can have it as part of the OnLoad of the form in question. Chuck wrote: >I have programed a maco to open one of various forms depending on criteria on >an open form. Is there a way to run a "follow up Macro" based on which form >opens? In other w...

Forms and Input Data
I created a report form on Sheet 1 and a set of input data on subsequen Sheets 2, 3, ... link to the report. The report is to show informatio on either of the data I select. Are there simple steps for me to pick either set of data I want t display on the report? I've thought of a pull-down menu so that if select "1", the report will show data set "1", and so on. Yet I don' know how to do it. I tried the "replace" command by highlighting al the cell in the Report sheet then type "2" in place of "1" to replac the data set then hitting...

Modal form opens on startup
Evenin' - I hope this doesn't come across as stupid, but I'm almost completely unfamiliar with Access. A client of mine has an Access 2000 database containing some business information, and he'd like to have me import it into Quickbooks. The problem I have is that I cannot get to the information to export it from Access. When the file is opened, I get a (I presume) modal form, configured as a 'splash screen' type of thing. Has my client's logo, and the name of the fellow who wrote the Access app. Click that, and it closes, then opens another form for...

How do you make an text box opaque?
I want to use excel spreadsheet and blank out certain parts of a already make form i believe it is called opaque. What do mean by "blank out"? What is it you want to do? HTH Otto "mcnally" <mcnally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55729CA5-2247-4433-B73F-0DC151E851A2@microsoft.com... >I want to use excel spreadsheet and blank out certain parts of a already >make > form > i believe it is called opaque. I have a form that I want to put a text box on it and type something over whatever under it. it keeps typing whatever is under i...

Trying to delete form border, and it deletes all borders
I made a form with several individual areas that have borders. At the end I decided to try a border around the whole form. Now that I don't like it, I was trying to delete the form border, but it deletes all the borders in the form as well. How can I just delete the border around the form and not the rest of the individual borders? I'm actually on a different computer, because of the printing, will I be able to undo my way out of it maybe, or do I have to be on the computer where I made the form. One more question, will the form retain the undo feature for ever, or will it stop ...

how to solve "Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application"
Hi, I am trying to make a modalless form in VB6 that is compiled as an ActiveX DLL. When i use VC6 to instance the activex DLL, my problem appears that "406 Non-modal forms cannot be displayed in this host application from an ActiveX DLL, ActiveX control or Property Page." I have my form in modalless style in VB6 and they should be instanced in VC. Does anyone know how to get this to work ? Many Thanks, Xiao http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=176468 -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "arbidol" <arbidol@tom...

Adding User Lookup Field
I am new to MS CRM and I am having trouble being able to add a lookup field to a customized entity. Basically, I just want to be able to let users select a user from the CRM user list from a lookup field. I cannot seem to find a way to reference it. I'm sure it is rather easy to do, but I've been stumbling about on this. Can anyone help? Thanks, Larry Larry, This can be accomplished, but at the moment cannot be done with the standard configuration tools. Here are some options: 1. Use a picklist to store the user names (reasonable if you have a reasonably smaller numbe...

Temporary Form with 2 Sub form Update Main Form And its Sub form ?
I have 2 table both are exactly same PatientRecordTransTb And PatientRecordTb I know many programmer don’t like TempTb, but in my case I don’t trust some one to mess with my Main record table. So simple solution is make tamp table and after review I click to transfer all records from temp Table to main Table So I have two forms . PatientRecTransFm record sources = PatientRecordTransTb PatientRecordMainFm record source = PatientRecordTb PatientRecTransFm has 2 button AddRecord And Delete Record Here is a short story of my code (NOT A Actual Code) mySQLString = &quo...

Calculation in a Text Box
I have a text box on the footer of my form. The control source is as follows: =Sum(Abs([Department]="Vocational")) That text box calculates a number for me. Now what I want to do is take that number and divide it by another number, we'll say 6 and have that show up in a new text box. So what would the control source of the new text box be? I want it to show "=Sum(Abs([Department]="Vocational"))" divided by 6. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks, CEV You did not say where the new textbox was going to be. Is it also to be in the Footer? If so...