Filtered Combo Box

Hello,
I have a database that keeps track of employees in a department and prints
out a directory.  These employees can have up to two different positions (a
colateral duty of HR manager for instance). I'm trying to set up a combobox
from the Position table with three fields - PossitionID, Position and Type.
I would like the user to be able to select one of four types, then have the
position list filter from there as there are over 150 different positions.  I
thought of putting a listbox in there for the user to select the type first,
but I'm not sure how to go on and filter the combobox from there.  Can anyone
help?

Thanks!

Use two combo boxes.  One to select the type and the other to select the
position.  Filter the row source query for the second combo based on the
value in the first.  Also, in the After Update event of the first combo
(Type), requery the second combo.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Lisa" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a database that keeps track of employees in a department and prints
> out a directory.  These employees can have up to two different positions (a
> colateral duty of HR manager for instance). I'm trying to set up a combobox
> from the Position table with three fields - PossitionID, Position and Type.
> I would like the user to be able to select one of four types, then have the
> position list filter from there as there are over 150 different positions.  I
> thought of putting a listbox in there for the user to select the type first,
> but I'm not sure how to go on and filter the combobox from there.  Can anyone
> help?
>
> Thanks!
Thanks, that's a great idea.  I changed my list box that offers the 4
different types to a combo box, then had the after update event requery the
second combo box.  Now it's working like a dream!

Lisa

"Klatuu" wrote:

> Use two combo boxes.  One to select the type and the other to select the
> position.  Filter the row source query for the second combo based on the
> value in the first.  Also, in the After Update event of the first combo
> (Type), requery the second combo.
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Lisa" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I have a database that keeps track of employees in a department and prints
> > out a directory.  These employees can have up to two different positions (a
> > colateral duty of HR manager for instance). I'm trying to set up a combobox
> > from the Position table with three fields - PossitionID, Position and Type.
> > I would like the user to be able to select one of four types, then have the
> > position list filter from there as there are over 150 different positions.  I
> > thought of putting a listbox in there for the user to select the type first,
> > but I'm not sure how to go on and filter the combobox from there.  Can anyone
> > help?
> >
> > Thanks!

Help: New dialog box when opening Word or Outlook
Starting in the last week or so I get the following message when opening Word or Outlook (which I have set to use Word as my mail composer): ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The document contains macros. Macro language support is currently disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available. Would you like to open this document read-only? OK Cancel Help ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am not opening a fil...

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

Employee Filters

Pressing rhe Print button brings up a "Save As" dialog box.
I'm using Win'XP and Office 2003. Pressing the print button in Excel brings up a "Saved As" dialog box. Rebooting doesn't change a thing. Following through on the "Save As" dialog box doesn't lead anywhere. Been using Excel for months and never saw anything like it. What am I doing wrong? Please help. Don J -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You got a few replies when you first posted this. Don J wrote: > &g...

Double-Click a Text Box to Open Larger on Screen
Hi everyone, hope my request is doable in Access. I need to take a text box on a form, double-click it, and then have the same text box open larger on the screen so that the user can type into it. My users have seen pop up boxes where they can type in info on other programs, so they want this same feature in Access. Thank you for your help in this matter. Maurita Searcy Maurita wrote: > Hi everyone, hope my request is doable in Access. I need to take a > text box on a form, double-click it, and then have the same text box > open larger on the screen so that the user can type int...

How do I create a box plot in Excel?
I am trying to create a box plot in excel. My book says to go to tools and Data Analysis Plus. I have already added data analysis, but I have no Data analysis plus. Can anyone help? That appears to be an Australian third party add-in. (I Googled for that info.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "TEW" <TEW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7947896-1FA3-4326-9509-11660EB171FC@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a box plot in excel. My book says to go to tools and > Data Analysis Plus. I have already added data analysis, but I have no D...

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

hide dialog box application
I want to hide dialog box application. Overriding OnWindowShow of the main dialog class, and inside calling ShowWindow for hiding, does nothing. Doing so inside OnPaint works, but causes annoying flicker. Can someone advise please? Regards Marom See my essay on dialog box applications on my MVP Tips site (Nish gave me permission to reproduce his technique in my essay, and I link to his site as well) joe On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:57:44 +0200, "Marom" <kmarom@miran.net> wrote: >I want to hide dialog box application. Overriding OnWindowShow of the main >dialog ...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

clip art in list box
i want to insert clip art into a drop list instead of text One word...Can't. Which technically is two words but you still can't... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "mrmatt67" wrote: > i want to insert clip art into a drop list instead of text ...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

mutli-select list box problem
The following code is my failed attempt to get the items picked in a multi-select List box to then appear in another form named "NameDetailForm". The NameDetailForm does open but does not show the items picked from the list box. I believe the end part of my code is flawed, but cannot figure out what it should correctly be. If there is better code for this purpose, I would appreciate seeing it. Private Sub Itemschosen_Click() Dim strWhere As String, varItem As Variant If Me!NameListBox.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then Exit Sub For Each varItem In Me!NameListBox.ItemsSelec...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

How to fill up CPrintInfo without a Print Dialog Box
I can get the DEVMODE structure from a given printer name so I do not need to popup a print dialog box. However, since I do not want to override all those print functions, I will have to correctly fill up the CPrintInfo which contains the print dialog structure. Is there any way to do this? ...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula

Going from one combo to another
I have a worksheet with some combo boxes. I want to hit the tab key and move from one combo to the next one. Is that possible? How is it done? -- bernardoafs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bernardoafs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28993 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489382 Hi, if you open goto your userform properties, there is an area called Tab Index. alter the numbers to your tab preference as they are automatically set by the point you added your combo b...

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

IP filtering based on corresponding MX records
Hello Dears, How can I implement the following? Used: Exchange 2003 SP2 in FE/BE configuration; FE is in perimeter zone (capable to “speak” with DNS, BE, DCs and retrieve info) So, somebody connects my FE to sent an e-mail to one of domain users. I need something like that: When connecting, see the “mail from: user@somedomain.xxx”; Verify if there is a record MX for the IP address from which the connection was established in DNS for the domain “somedomain.xxx” If not – drop connection (attention: MX record, not SPF) Is it possible with Exchange 2003 SP2 only? How? Thank you, Alex I be...

Dropdown box Addable?
Hi All, Any way we can make dropdown box to add a new item in CRM 3.0 because all dropdown boxes of CRM 3.0 can't add any items into it except you go to Customization for Form and View and add one item at time manually. Anyone has any ideas ? Thanks Instead of using dropdown picklists, you could use lookup controls instead. Create a custom entity to hold your picklist values, and then create a 1:n relationship between it and the entity you had the dropdown list on originally. This will allow you to add a lookup box to the form instead of a dropdown. Then users can add new recor...

apply filter macro
I have a access db that works on win xp but does not work on win 2007 I have a combo box that triggers a apply filter macro using a query sort. no problem on win 2000 or win xp or win 2003 Help AlT ...

Pasting Data into a webpage text box
Simon move my posting at the codecage from excel to word so i'm reposting at MS so it appears where I wanted the posting. I'm working om a Webpage project where I'm copying from a word document to a webpage with a box similar to the message box I'm presently typing in. The webpage doesn't allow modifying the innertext or innerHTML. I saved the word document to HTM file format. I then open the html file as a text file and perform a readall. Then simply move it to the outter html IE.myobject.outterhtml = fs.readall This destroys the box and just displays th...

Month Filter
I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks listed by date (mm/dd/yy), payee, check #, etc. What I want to do is be able to filter the list by month (ex., March 2005). Is there a way to do this? Thanks Joseph You can Try EasyFilter Joseph http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Joseph" <joe@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23lQNnTawFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks lis...

allowing a text box to grow
Is it difficult to have a CEdit control and its dialog grow according to the length of the string in the control? I'm interested in using such an arrangement for my error messages and would like it to fit my messages. Use DrawText to compute the rectangle required and resize your control to accomodate it. joe On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:31:07 -0400, "SteveR" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote: >Is it difficult to have a CEdit control and its dialog grow according to the >length of the string in the control? I'm interested in using such an >arra...