Filter by Form with sub form crash

Hi

I'm having problems with filter by form causing access 2003 to shut down.

Looking at the Northwind database the same thing happens.

If a main form has "new additions" setting to no and has sub forms

filter by form is used and the data serched on the main fom returns null (
eg some one filters  Michal insted of  Michael,  access crashes.

My own forms are linked to queries which results in not allowing "new
additions" so this has the same effect in access shutting down.

any adivce would be great

--
with thanks Mike

Mike, I just tried this in Access 2003 SP3. It didn't crash, so I think
something else is going on here.

Firstly, I have an Invoice main form, with Invoice Details in the subform. I
set AllowAdditions to No in the main form, and then assigned a filter that
evaluates to False for all records, like this:
    Private Sub Command6_Click()
        If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False
        Me.Filter = "(False)"
        Me.FilterOn = True
    End Sub
The result was that the entire main form goes blank as expected, but no
crash.

I suspect there is another bug being triggered in your case, and it may be a
bug related to the AccessField data type. This is the type Access uses for
fields in the record source of a form, that are not actually controls. You
can circumvent that bug by using the name of controls in the Link Master
Fields and Link Child Fields of your form.

Can I suggest this sequence:

1. Uncheck the boxes under:
    Tools | Options | General | Name AutoCorrect
Then compact the database:
    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair
Explanation of why:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html

2. Open the main form in design view.
Right-click the edge of the subform control, and choose Properties.
Clear the Link Main Fields and Link Child Fields properties.
Save. Close the main form.

3. Open the subform in design view.
Add a text box for the foreign key field (i.e. whatever field was nmaed in
Link Child Fields.) Set its Visible property to No if you wish. Save. Close.

4. Open the main form in design view, and enter the text box names in the
Link Main Fields and Link Child Fields again. Save. Close.

4. Close Access. Make a backup copy of the file. Decompile the database by
entering something like this at the command prompt while Access is not
running. It is all one line, and include the quotes:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

5. Open Access (holding down the Shift key if you have any startup code),
and compact again. Twice.

6. Open the code window, and choose Compile from the Debug menu. Fix any
bugs, and repeat until it compiles okay.

"mikieb" <mikieb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I'm having problems with filter by form causing access 2003 to shut down.
>
> Looking at the Northwind database the same thing happens.
>
> If a main form has "new additions" setting to no and has sub forms
>
> filter by form is used and the data serched on the main fom returns null (
> eg some one filters  Michal insted of  Michael,  access crashes.
>
> My own forms are linked to queries which results in not allowing "new
> additions" so this has the same effect in access shutting down.
>
> any adivce would be great
>
> --
> with thanks Mike

0
Allen
12/14/2007 1:48:56 PM
Hi Allen

Many thanks for your advice, I will look into this, I'm afraid I'm trying to
acheive the results I need using macro's as its along time ago that I did vb
at college.

Is it possible to not run a filter if the reurn is null using a macro?

I presume this code achieves this someting similar

Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False
Me.Filter = "(False)"
Me.FilterOn = True

It may be of interest to you that I mirrored possibly? the same problem
using the Northwind database, Customer orders form, using filter by form,
querying Company name "xzzx" it returns the message "Acces has stopped
working" and closes.

The second part of your reply I work through

again, many thanks for your time

Mike

--
with thanks Mikie

"mike" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm having problems with filter by form causing access 2003 to shut down.
>
> Looking at the Northwind database the same thing happens.
>
> If a main form has "new additions" setting to no and has sub forms
>
> filter by form is used and the data serched on the main fom returns null (
> eg some one filters  Michal insted of  Michael,  access crashes.
>
> My own forms are linked to queries which results in not allowing "new
> additions" so this has the same effect in access shutting down.
>
> any adivce would be great
>
> --
> with thanks Mike
Hi Allen

you gave me  afew ideas and I did try

Private Sub Form_ApplyFilter(Cancel As Integer, ApplyType As Integer)
If Me.Filter = "(false)" Then Me.FilterOn = False Else Me.FilterOn = True
End Sub

the query the form is based has numerical and text fields this produced
variable results on filtering, some times it worked other times it crashed
(possibly worse when queried on text fields"), I suspect there is, as you say
another underlying problem, unless my code is nonsense?

will work through the rest of your reply in the next few days

again thanks Mike

"mike" wrote:

> Hi Allen
>
> Many thanks for your advice, I will look into this, I'm afraid I'm trying to
> acheive the results I need using macro's as its along time ago that I did vb
> at college.
>
> Is it possible to not run a filter if the reurn is null using a macro?
>
> I presume this code achieves this someting similar
>
> Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False
> Me.Filter = "(False)"
> Me.FilterOn = True
>
> It may be of interest to you that I mirrored possibly? the same problem
> using the Northwind database, Customer orders form, using filter by form,
> querying Company name "xzzx" it returns the message "Acces has stopped
> working" and closes.
>
> The second part of your reply I work through
>
> again, many thanks for your time
>
> Mike
>
> --
> with thanks Mikie
>

> "mike" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm having problems with filter by form causing access 2003 to shut down.
> >
> > Looking at the Northwind database the same thing happens.
> >
> > If a main form has "new additions" setting to no and has sub forms
> >
> > filter by form is used and the data serched on the main fom returns null (
> > eg some one filters  Michal insted of  Michael,  access crashes.
> >
> > My own forms are linked to queries which results in not allowing "new
> > additions" so this has the same effect in access shutting down.
> >
> > any adivce would be great
> >
> > --
> > with thanks Mike
Replies in-line.

> Many thanks for your advice, I will look into this, I'm afraid I'm trying
> acheive the results I need using macro's as its along time ago that I did
> vb
> at college.
>
> Is it possible to not run a filter if the reurn is null using a macro?

It is possible with a macro (but probably easier in code.) After your
ApplyFilter (or whatever) action, use the Condition Column to test whether
the form has zero records, e.g.:
    [Forms].[Form1].[RecordsetClone].[RecordCount] = 0
and take whatever action you need, such as removing the filter.

Attempting to do this in a macro in Access 2007 may generate a "Sandbox
mode" error.

Of course, this won't prevent the crash, because it still goes through the
case where there are no records.

It may be possible to use DLookup() with the same criteria as the proposed
filter to see if there are any matches, and apply the filter only if there
is at least one matching record. For help with DLookup(), see:
    http://allenbrowne.com/casu-07.html

> I presume this code achieves this someting similar
>
> Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False
> Me.Filter = "(False)"
> Me.FilterOn = True

That's just an example. The first line saves any changes: since Access has
to do this before it can apply the filter, I find it helps to be explicit
about it. (It has the effect of processing and clearning a bunch of pending
messages in the queue before attempting to do the next thing.)

A filter string is essentially a WHERE condition from a query. In the end,
it is somehing that evaluates to True (include the record) or False (exclude
the record), for each record. The expression "(False)" doesn't depend on the
data in the record, so it evaluates to False for all records, hence all
records are excluded. (Actually, the WHERE condition could evaluate to Null
too, but that excludes the record.)

The third line just turns the filter on.

> It may be of interest to you that I mirrored possibly? the same problem
> using the Northwind database, Customer orders form, using filter by form,
> querying Company name "xzzx" it returns the message "Acces has stopped
> working" and closes.

I doubt that Northwind has a control in the subform for the foreign key, so
you may be able to crash Northwind using the same approach. The AccessField
problem doesn't always occur: I don't have the conditions nailed down
completely, but it tends to be when using a multi-table query as the source
for the subform.

> The second part of your reply I work through

If you are still stuck after you work through this, please indicate what
version of Access you are using, and what service pack. (It's on the Help |
About screen.) Also, which Windows you use.

> again, many thanks for your time
>
> Mike
>
> --
> with thanks Mikie
>

> "mike" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm having problems with filter by form causing access 2003 to shut down.
>>
>> Looking at the Northwind database the same thing happens.
>>
>> If a main form has "new additions" setting to no and has sub forms
>>
>> filter by form is used and the data serched on the main fom returns null
>> (
>> eg some one filters  Michal insted of  Michael,  access crashes.
>>
>> My own forms are linked to queries which results in not allowing "new
>> additions" so this has the same effect in access shutting down.
>>
>> any adivce would be great
>>
>> --
>> with thanks Mike

0
Allen
12/15/2007 1:44:39 AM
Hi Allen

I have been working through this for a few hours and have tried not using
"name autocorrect" which is now unchecked. Did not hold much hope that my
simple code attempts  would solve this, as the crash seems to be variable.

In the end working at the solution from the ground up seems to have done the
trick.
I started by creating a new simpilfied main form with a basic sub form
(Access 2003 using vista)
tried filter by form and data that would return zero result and it worked.

next I tried importing my sub forms and it still worked fine and even added
a bit more complication by linking a query to the main form and still no
crash, well its late and I'm sure it will probably crash in the moring but I
seem to have a solution.

I did try trouble shootiing the problem in this way the other day, but kept
my main form when rebuilding.

it would take a day or so to sort out the forms which are causing problems
so will work through it.

This database has slowly evolved over some years, I think possibly through 3
versions of Access and several verions of windows, perhaps like me it needs a
rethink.

your advice has been very helpful, will look further in to improving my use
of vb.

--
thanks Mike

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> [...]
> version of Access you are using, and what service pack. (It's on the Help |
> About screen.) Also, which Windows you use.
>
> > again, many thanks for your time
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --
> > with thanks Mikie
> >

> > "mike" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I'm having problems with filter by form causing access 2003 to shut down.
> >>
> >> Looking at the Northwind database the same thing happens.
> >>
> >> If a main form has "new additions" setting to no and has sub forms
> >>
> >> filter by form is used and the data serched on the main fom returns null
> >> (
> >> eg some one filters  Michal insted of  Michael,  access crashes.
> >>
> >> My own forms are linked to queries which results in not allowing "new
> >> additions" so this has the same effect in access shutting down.

Good news.

> Hi Allen
>
> I have been working through this for a few hours and have tried not using
> "name autocorrect" which is now unchecked. Did not hold much hope that my
> simple code attempts  would solve this, as the crash seems to be variable.
>
> In the end working at the solution from the ground up seems to have done
> the
> trick.
> I started by creating a new simpilfied main form with a basic sub form
> (Access 2003 using vista)
> tried filter by form and data that would return zero result and it worked.
>
> next I tried importing my sub forms and it still worked fine and even
> added
> a bit more complication by linking a query to the main form and still no
> crash, well its late and I'm sure it will probably crash in the moring but
> seem to have a solution.
>
> I did try trouble shootiing the problem in this way the other day, but
> kept
> my main form when rebuilding.
>
> it would take a day or so to sort out the forms which are causing problems
> so will work through it.
>
> This database has slowly evolved over some years, I think possibly through
> 3
> versions of Access and several verions of windows, perhaps like me it
> needs a
> rethink.
>
> your advice has been very helpful, will look further in to improving my
> use
> of vb.
>
> --
> thanks Mike

0
Allen

i cant scrolling from a form
im using office 2007 and while i open a single form it doesnt show any data althougth there are records in it and i cant scrolling. On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:59:01 -0800, bill <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >im using office 2007 and while i open a single form it doesnt show any data >althougth there are records in it and i cant scrolling. Is the form's Data Entry property set to Yes? If so, existing records will not be visible and all you can do is enter new ones. -- John W. Vinson [MVP] data entry is "no" but i faound that ...

MSN money down
Can't get billpay or just about anything else to work inside Money2003. Probably because: "MSN Money is temporarily unavailable". JC Jim, please see the post listed below from MS. -Tim --------------- Redmond, July 30, 2004 19:15 PDT Some MSN Money features (My Accounts, MSN Bill Pay, MSN Alerts, Portfolio Manager) are off for maintenance, and should be back in action late tonight (or early tomorrow morning). This is part of our regularly scheduled update and has nothing to do with the recent sign-in issue with Money. If things don't go as planned, I'll update ...

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

Employee Filters

Emailing a form created from a query
I am using Microsft Access 2007 to email a form to individual email addresses so they can update their details and email it back to me. The form was created from a query as the information is in more than one table. However when the recipient gets the email the form is blank and no longer contains the information which was in the form and query. It seems to work when I have created the form from a table but not a query??? ...

Windows 7/Outlook/SBS2003 crashing issue
I have a client with a new Windows 7 laptop. Added it to his SBS2003 domain via http://servername/connectcomputer, all seemed to work as normal. Installed Office 2007 and SP2, setup Outlook for him, added his extra mailboxes, all looked fine. After the weekend, he came in and was unable to open Outlook, it crashed with an uninformative error. I narrowed the issue down to communication with the server : with a clean Outlook profile, as soon as I put in a server name and clicked Check Name, Outlook would crash. Resolved this temporarily by doing a system restore back to before...

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

Access 2007 Run-time Error 2467 when accessing a listbox value on a sub form
I have a database that has been in production on Access 2003 for quite some time and has run without errors. A user's machine was recently upgraded to Access 2007 and now the database throughs a Run-time Error 2467 "The Expression you entered referes to an object that is closed or does not exist" on the following line that references a listbox value on a sub form. If Nz(Me.sfrm_Consultant_Contract_Request.Form.Cmb_Consultant.Value) = "" Then .. .. .. I changed the code to If Nz(Forms! frm_Main.sfrm_Consultant_Contract_Request.Form.Cmb_Consultant.Value) = ""...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

Deleting Forms Dictionary
All, I wanted to delete all current customizations and Deleted the Forms.Dic, allot of the forms are not working, please help. Johnny Johnny, Your system Alternative/Modified forms and reports were pointing to the modified forms, which was deleted, so the system will need to be pointed to the original forms. You have two options to fix this up: 1. Go to: Dynamics GP Menu --> Tools --> Setup  System  Alternate/Modified Forms and Reports, choose the modified forms below one by one and mark the Dynamics radio button. 2. Go to Dynamics GP Menu --> Tools --> Utilities --&g...

How to check Solver and Forms 2.0 Object Library permanently?
Oops! I happen to find that SOLVER Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library in VBA References in Excel can't be checked permanently,that's once I check them in a new blank excel file,and then close that blank file(of course I don't save it) and open another new excel file,those two component are back in the unchecked state. but this weird phenomenon doesn't occuered for others,I don't know how to solve it... -- yoyo2000 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ yoyo2000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&a...

Newbie Help with form
Hi, I am looking to have a form, where when I select one field in a combo box, it automatically updates all the other fields to match that list so for example.. I have a table with 3 fields telephone first name last name So I want a drop down box on the form, and when I choose the telephone number i want, it automatically shows the first and last name with it... Additionally I would want to be able to choose a last name, and it show the telephone and first name associated Access 2003 Thanks in advance On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:50:33 -0800 (PST), potentus <neopotent@gmail.com> wr...

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula

apply filter macro
I have a access db that works on win xp but does not work on win 2007 I have a combo box that triggers a apply filter macro using a query sort. no problem on win 2000 or win xp or win 2003 Help AlT ...

Program crashes when selling gift cards
One of our clients has RMS 2.0 set up in their store with two registers and manager running in back. They use MercuryPay to sell and process credit cards and gift cards. A few months ago they ran into a problem where whenever they tried to sell a gift card, the program would just close. No error message, nothing in the event viewer, the program just exits out without warning. It was only happening on one register. I called up Mercury, we had tried some fixes, they said it sounded like it was most likely a Microsoft issue. So I called up Microsoft and they had no idea what was wrong and said t...

IP filtering based on corresponding MX records
Hello Dears, How can I implement the following? Used: Exchange 2003 SP2 in FE/BE configuration; FE is in perimeter zone (capable to “speak” with DNS, BE, DCs and retrieve info) So, somebody connects my FE to sent an e-mail to one of domain users. I need something like that: When connecting, see the “mail from: user@somedomain.xxx”; Verify if there is a record MX for the IP address from which the connection was established in DNS for the domain “somedomain.xxx” If not – drop connection (attention: MX record, not SPF) Is it possible with Exchange 2003 SP2 only? How? Thank you, Alex I be...

Month Filter
I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks listed by date (mm/dd/yy), payee, check #, etc. What I want to do is be able to filter the list by month (ex., March 2005). Is there a way to do this? Thanks Joseph You can Try EasyFilter Joseph http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Joseph" <joe@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23lQNnTawFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks lis...

Click to not show form again.
Hi, I have a form when new users get's access to the front end of the database a form pop-up to ask user if they want to go to tutorial. I want a check box in the form so that when user click on check box this form will not show up again when the user start the front end again. How do i do that? On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:09:03 -0800, EmailreportusingLotusNotesrathert@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a form when new users get's access to the front end of the database a > form pop-up to ask user if they want to go to tutorial. I want a check box >...

filter for missing values in a range
I have a list in Col A ( about 2000) one to four digit numbers. I would like to ( for example) , in the 700's be able to filter and find out which of the numbers from 700 to 799 is NOT in the list. I know how to copy and paste to another col, etc. Thanks in advance for the wonderful help all of you give. One play .. Assume your source data runs in A2 down In B2: =IF(ROWS($1:1)+700-1>799,"",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROWS($1:1)+700-1,A:A,0)),"",ROWS($1:1)+700-1)) Copy B2 down by 100 rows to cover the full spread of numbers to be checked, ie # of nums from s...

Importing Crashes
I am using Money 2002 on XP. I have multiple accounts set up withing my money file and all of my accounts can be updated via the web, but all of my fiance's accounts crash when I try to update her accounts. Does anyone know what is causing this or how to fix it? I tried the salvage feature, but that did nothing. As soon as I update, it crashes, but only with her accounts. Thank you, Preston Garcia You need to be specific about "crashes". What error messages etc? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...