Fill in a field based on input of data in another field

Hi,

I'd like to know if this can be done without VBA, since I'm not familiar
with programming....Access 2007

My user has a table that contains countries: [tblAwardCountries]. When she
enters a value in her [PermanentCountry] field, she would like the database
to check to see if that country exists in [tblAwardCountries]. If it does
exist, she would like another field to automatically update to "Eligible for
Award".

Can this be done without programming? I thought of the IN operator, but
there are too many countries to have to type into the expression. Using a
table will be easier to keep updated.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tammy

I may be reading too much into your description ...

It sounds like your user is required to type in a [PermanentCountry] value
.... why?

If the database already possesses a tblAwardCountries, why not use a
combobox to list those and let the user select the correct one?  And if it
is a new, never-been-entered Country, Access HELP has plenty of information
on using the LimitToList property and the NotInList event to handle adding a
new one.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know if this can be done without VBA, since I'm not familiar
> with programming....Access 2007
>
> My user has a table that contains countries: [tblAwardCountries]. When she
> enters a value in her [PermanentCountry] field, she would like the
> database
> to check to see if that country exists in [tblAwardCountries]. If it does
> exist, she would like another field to automatically update to "Eligible
> for
> Award".
>
> Can this be done without programming? I thought of the IN operator, but
> there are too many countries to have to type into the expression. Using a
> table will be easier to keep updated.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

0
Jeff
2/9/2010 9:21:54 PM
Hi Jeff -

Thank you very much for your response. My user can use a lookup list to
enter the the [PermanentCountry] (got that one covered - thanks for
suggesting, though),  but not all of the countries qualify for the award. She
has a list of countries that *do* qualify for the award - she would like
enter a value in the [PermanentCountry] field, and then check to see if that
value exists in the [tblAwardCountries] table. If it does exist in the award
table, she'd like a notification in another field that the country she
entered qualifies for the award.

We are just starting to work through this, so any ideas are helpful. All of
her records will have a permanent country, but not all countries qualify for
the award. The list is way too long for her to remember all of the countries
that qualify. We were hoping to find a way for Access to look at the
[PermanentCountry] field entry, then check to see if there is a match in the
[tblAwardCountries] table - if so, update another field based on whether the
country exists in the table. The field that is updated can be a text, memo,
or yes/no data type (could be something like [EligibleForAward]).

Again, haven't put this together yet, trying to figure out a way to do this
through Access, and not VBA. I can copy and paste code, but if something goes
wrong I woudn't know how to fix the code.

Thanks, again, Jeff. I hope that makes it a little clearer (?).

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Tammy
>
> I may be reading too much into your description ...
>
> It sounds like your user is required to type in a [PermanentCountry] value
> .... why?
>
> If the database already possesses a tblAwardCountries, why not use a
> combobox to list those and let the user select the correct one?  And if it
> is a new, never-been-entered Country, Access HELP has plenty of information
> on using the LimitToList property and the NotInList event to handle adding a
> new one.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>

> "Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to know if this can be done without VBA, since I'm not familiar
> > with programming....Access 2007
> >
> > My user has a table that contains countries: [tblAwardCountries]. When she
> > enters a value in her [PermanentCountry] field, she would like the
> > database
> > to check to see if that country exists in [tblAwardCountries]. If it does
> > exist, she would like another field to automatically update to "Eligible
> > for
> > Award".
> >
> > Can this be done without programming? I thought of the IN operator, but
> > there are too many countries to have to type into the expression. Using a
> > table will be easier to keep updated.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions!
>

> .

Are you saying that there are two separate lists?  One for "permanent", one
for "awarded"?

If so, why?!

A single list (table) to hold Countries, with attributes (i.e.fields) for
"permanent" and "awarded" (or are those mutually exclusive categories?)...

Now, if there are MORE than just those two y/n categories, you may wish to
consider a list (table) of countries, then a related junction table that
holds valid pairs of country X attribute.  For example, Country 1 might have
neither "permanent" nor "awarded", so it wouldn't be in that junction table.
Country 2 might have both, so would have TWO records in the junction table,
one for each.

All this depends on your underlying domain and table structure, about which
I can only guess so far.

More specific description may lead to more specific suggestion...

Good luck!

> [...]
>>

>> "Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'd like to know if this can be done without VBA, since I'm not
>> > familiar
>> > with programming....Access 2007
>> >
>> > My user has a table that contains countries: [tblAwardCountries]. When
>> > she
>> > enters a value in her [PermanentCountry] field, she would like the
>> > database
>> > to check to see if that country exists in [tblAwardCountries]. If it
>> > does
>> > exist, she would like another field to automatically update to
>> > "Eligible
>> > for
>> > Award".
>> >
>> > Can this be done without programming? I thought of the IN operator, but
>> > there are too many countries to have to type into the expression. Using

0
Jeff
2/10/2010 4:56:36 PM
Hi Jeff,

This is why I love this discussion group - I needed ideas, and you just gave
me a good one! I was thinking too deeply about this - I can see us using one
table for all countries, with an extra field that distinguishes whether the
country is eligible for the award or not (y/n would be perfect). Gosh, I feel
dumb for not coming up with that one on my own!

Thanks for putting up with my scramble thoughts! Your patience is greatly
appreciated!

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> [...]
> >> combobox to list those and let the user select the correct one?  And if
> >> it
> >> is a new, never-been-entered Country, Access HELP has plenty of
> >> information
> >> on using the LimitToList property and the NotInList event to handle
> >> adding a
> >> new one.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Jeff Boyce
> >> Microsoft Access MVP
> >>
> >> --
> >> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> >> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> >> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
> >>
> >> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
> >> guarantee as to suitability.
> >>
> >> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer

Forest & trees, Tammy, forest & trees.

You'll spot something I'm not seeing sometime.

Thanks, and keep coming back.

Regards

Jeff B.

> [...]
>> > that qualify. We were hoping to find a way for Access to look at the
>> > [PermanentCountry] field entry, then check to see if there is a match
>> > in
>> > the
>> > [tblAwardCountries] table - if so, update another field based on
>> > whether
>> > the
>> > country exists in the table. The field that is updated can be a text,
>> > memo,
>> > or yes/no data type (could be something like [EligibleForAward]).
>> >
>> > Again, haven't put this together yet, trying to figure out a way to do
>> > this
>> > through Access, and not VBA. I can copy and paste code, but if
>> > something
>> > goes
>> > wrong I woudn't know how to fix the code.
>> >
>> > Thanks, again, Jeff. I hope that makes it a little clearer (?).

0
Jeff

Filling cells in between pairs of numbers
Hello all, I am trying to find an easy way to fill in cells in between pairs of numbers each of which is exactly the average of the pair's difference averaged by the number of these cells greater than the previous. So I have 1 1 2 3 4 8 5 6 7 8 20 9 10 12 13 14 15 45 I want: 1 1 2 3.333333333 3 5.666666667 4 8 5 11 6 14 7 17 8 20 9 23.57142857 10 27.14285714 11 30.71428571 12 34.28571429 13 37.85714286 14 41.42857143 15 45 I know I can do a Fill, Series, but then even with a macro that does a "control shift up fill series enter",...

ISBN data type
Hi--I am setting up a book lending database for our small non-profit. ISBN's (identification numbers unique to every book) recently went to 13 digits. I want to use the book's ISBN as the primary key for tblBooks, but it is too long for the Long Integer data type, and when you choose Single or Double as the type, it displays the ISBN with an exponent, i.e. 9781564205223 is displayed as 9.781565E+12. Is there any way to "force" Access to display the number as written? Thanks, lcnlit lcnlit <lcnlit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi--I am setting up a book...

Case filled out from SharePoint
I need to have a simple form my users fill out to submit a case. This would include the Business Required fields on the CRM Case form. Is there an easy way to do this using SharePoint? In other words, the user would go to the SharePoint site, click a link to "Submit a Support Request". This would open a form (Infopath perhaps?) where they fill in a few simple items, click submit, and a new CRM Case is created. This then would fire any pertinent workflows as if the case had been created from within CRM itself. I'm aware there are 3rd party solutions out there but would...

Sending data to SQL Server
Hi, I am building a solution to allow a user to upload shape data to SQL Server and I have a couple of questions. 1) Is it possible to include more attributes than just the shape data, but also details of the process model file such as it's title, version, etc? I could do with having the file name in every column of shape data for example. 2) It's quite a few clicks to export the data to an SQL database (about 5 or 6). Is there a way to have this feature available say next to the floppy disc save icon? Steve Since you're building a solution, then you understand t...

Matching cells by content then cell fill with color
Thanks to JEM, I am using this routine to color three consecutive cell a specific color, in this case red: Public Sub ThreeCellsRed() ActiveCell.Resize(1,3).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 End Sub What I need now is a way for the routine to continue to find all th similar cells, let's say for sake of disc they are people's names, s when I execute the above on my name, mrh, I want it to continue in th worksheet and find all exact matches and color those same cells red. Another thought, say my name (MRH) is in "A1" and it is also in "D1". But in "D1" I use "...

column charts with multiple data sets
My data set is below. I want to show column charts: The first one would be Product A for August made up of data for versions 1-4, column two would be Product A for September made up of data for versions 1-4. The third column would be Product B for August made up of data for versions 1-4, column four would be Product B for September made up of data for versions 1-4. Product Version August September A 1 30,812 365,874 A 2 59,650,018 56,404,138 A 3 29,931,636 28,053,084 A 4 71,972 62,352 B 1 7,094,967 11,718,925 B 2 9,588,255 ...

From field filled in
Hi and thanks in advance for this help. I am using Office 2003 with Exchange 2003. I have a second mailbox setup in my profile. When I reply to an e-mail sent to the other inbox, the From field is automatically filled in with that name. So for example, if the other inbox is "HelpDesk" and I reply to an e-mail in that inbox, the from field is automatically filled in as "HelpDesk". Hope that makes sense. Thanks!! <twytch111@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1175611189.053649.28340@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Hi and thanks in advance for this help. I am...

calculated field in Employee List
Hello: I have successfully been able to add the employees' start date to the Employee List by Supervisor report in Payroll. But, the field does not print (correctly) for the suupervisors who are listed in the header (H1) of the report. The reason for this is because the Employee ID for the employees is coming from the Payroll Master table, while the Employee ID for the supervisors is coming from the Payroll Supervisor Setup table. I'm trying to create a calculated field that will bring in the start date for the supervisor from the supervisor's employee card. How do I d...

Get text from another app's window
Hello, All! How to get text from another app's window? I keep in mind non-standard edit / richedit controls like used in Visual Studio and Word. With standard controls I have no problems (casting to CEdit, sending WM_COPY message can be used). Function GetWindowText and message WM_GETTEXT doesn't work. I have handles of target window (both main and child with focus). WMP is now playing: Kingdom Come - Should I ....Don't give in without a fight... With best regards, William Mahoney. I don't believe there can be a common answer. Just because Word and Visual Studio's ...

Journaling only captures CC field
That pretty much sums up the problem. We are running Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server and the journaling is being routed via an Active Directory Contact entry to a third party. Email that originates at my company has has an external email as the destination journals correctly. External email destined for my company also journals correctly. The problem is with internal emails. They are only journaled if there is an entry in the CC field. Help!!! Thanks. Dave On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:57:02 -0800, "Dave K." <DaveK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >That pret...

Operating fill handle and moving entire cells with keyboard
Is there any way of operating the fill handle or moving entire cells/range of cells with the keyboard rather than using the mouse (drag and drop). Thanks, Tom. Tom Copy or Cut Select range Select top left corner of range. Hold Shift & press End, Arrow down or right. Copy:= Ctrl + C Cut:= Ctl + X Paste Ctl + V To Fill Down or Right Ctrl + D or ctrl + r Use Excel Help and search for keyboard shortcuts for a complete List. Regards Peter >-----Original Message----- >Is there any way of operating the fill handle or moving >entire cells/range of cells with the keyboard rathe...

Looking up and matching data
I have two sets of data with the same information but not in the same order and am trying to match the data. In each data set I have 10 pools containing 100 loans. Each pool has a unique ID and each loan within the applicable pool has an ID of 1 to 100. I need to look up the Pool ID, then look up the loan ID so that I can extract the property type information from a third column. The Pool ID and property type is text but the loan ID is a number. I am struggling to put together the right combination of formulas to give the property type for each loan within each pool. Any suggestion...

Transparent Chart Data Series
Dear all, I'm having problems formatting an area chart that I have created. Give that there are two series of data on teh chart and a times one dip behind the other, I want to make one of my series' transparent However, whn I go to the fill effects option of the format data serie menu, transparency is not an option that is available - it is al "greyed out". Anyone got any ideas why this is, and how I can make it an activ option? Thanks, Stev -- stevepai ----------------------------------------------------------------------- stevepain's Profile: http://www.excelforum...

Removing text from part of a field
Good morning, I have a table with a field that contains the following: PAGE_03 PAGE_03A PAGE_01 I need to create a query that can remove the text "PAGE_0" from the field. Thanks, Fred Mid([YourFieldName],7) -- Rick B "fgwiii" <fgwiii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C998F7AD-B562-48E7-8F23-4AB58D7E0657@microsoft.com... > Good morning, > > I have a table with a field that contains the following: > PAGE_03 > PAGE_03A > PAGE_01 > > I need to create a query that can remove the text "PAGE_0" from the field. &...

change autocomplete choice in to: cc: or bcc: fields
is there a way to change or remove a name that gets "autocompleted" in the to:, cc:, or bcc: fields? right now i have 2 entries that begin with "jennifer" and i'm always prompted with the one i don't want. is there a way to change this? thanks. ross You can just delete the one you don't want when it pops up. i realize that, but i'd like to change it to prompt me for the correct one. >-----Original Message----- >You can just delete the one you don't want when it pops up. >. > >i realize that, but i'd like to change it to pr...

Open another file in CRichEditApp
Hallo, I work on a small editor and use a MDI RichEdit. The editor can be started using a parameter to open a file. I use Createmutex() to make sure only one instance is running at a time and I can send messages to the (only) instance, they go to the CMainFrame-class. Now I do not only want to stop creating a new instance but give the new paramter to the running instance, especially to my RichEditApp so a function to load the file can be started there. I tried to use a handle in the CMainFrame like this: CMyRichEditApp* myapp; myapp->OnLoadFile(); This does not work, it seems that the Ap...

Have one fill to auto fill aother
My question is simple. I would like to have field 27 = field 25. So when someone enters the data for field 25, the same data auto populated in field 27. Any help is appreciated! Kaylen, In the CotrolSource for Field 27 type... =[field 25] ....assuming of that you are talking about a form in Microsoft Access or did you mean to post this question in the Excel newsgroup? -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "Kaylen" <Kaylen@discussions....

Colours changing in the fill palette and the spreadsheet?
Hi I have a user with Office 2003, and her pc and build is standard as with her colleagues. In Excel the colours would change (cells filled) also if the user goes to her pallette the colours have also changed. Desktop and all other applications colour are fine. The following resolutions have been tried - office detect and repair, updates, asked the user to got to the tools options and reset the pallette and this does not work. She has to log off and back in again in order to set it back to the proper colours. Again this is only affecting Excel? Any pointers? I wish to thank you in advanc...

Inserting multiple rows into a table while maintaining data?
Please trust me, this is a relatively simple question, but takes some explaining: I want to insert multiple rows (anywhere from 60 to 900+) into a table that I routinely use off a template. Every time I open the template, I have all my appropriate column headings, and I paste data from another program into this Excel sheet. My desired outcome is that I am able to paste rows of varying numbers, while still maintaining the last rows (for sum totals of each column) on my template. (This would help automating the task) For example, I start my column headings in row 6. A6, B6, C6, and D6 all ...

Vlookup based on Active cell
Is there a way to have a vlookup formual based on the data in the active cell. I have data on one sheet that I what to pull in to a cell on another worksheet based on the data in the active cell I click on. I looking for the reference of the vlookup to be the active cell. thanks in advance for any help on this Thomp <williamth...@gmail.com> wrote... >Is there a way to have a vlookup formual based on the data in the >active cell. I have data on one sheet that I what to pull in to a cell >on another worksheet based on the data in the active cell I click on. >I looking for the...

Filling in blank PO
Hi everybody, I have some question to you, when you create blank PO, then go to content and click Add Item you can see tw boxes. In top one there are all items from your database and in bottom one there are Items you are adding. If you reach number of rows visible in bottom window there is scroll bar comming on right hand side, and as you add more items every new ona is going to the very bottm of the list which is in invisible area. To get there and type in Qty you have to scroll down whole list every time when you add next item. I'm using most recent updates for RMS and I checked i...

Integration Manager Error 62 Input Past End of File
We have a Receivables Transaction integration that imports all the transactions fine and we can post the batch. However, at the end of the integration, we have this error message: Integration Manager Error 62 Input Past End of File What does this mean? We don't have any blank rows or columns in the import file. Is there any way to turn off the error? Are you using AutoDim? If so, remove the blank spaces from your autodim.txt file. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamic...

Error on new Data Base Query
I am tring to acces an excel Data base Query but the following error mesage appears : "UNEXPECTED ERROR FROM EXTERNAL DATABASE DRIVER (22)" This is after i selected the File to be used, Database Type Excel Files * HELP!!! I would try searching the MS Knowledge Base (www.support.microsoft.com) and/or perhaps repairing or reinstalling Excel. On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:05:05 -0800, "MESTRELLA29" <MESTRELLA29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am tring to acces an excel Data base Query but the following error mesage >appears : > >"UNEXPECTED ERROR F...

no email address in the from field
gday when sending a message - no email address is inserted in the "from " field. so the emial sits in the out box if i open the message in the outbox and enter an email address in the "from" field and try and re-send - message still will not send. pls advise fix thanks muchly sam What version of Outlook are you using, and if 98 or 2000, what mail support mode? If you're not sure, look at the second line of Help | About Microsoft Outlook -- it should say "Internet Mail Only" or "Corporate/Workgroup". (Outlook 97, 2002, and 2003 don't h...

Global Address List for Another Domain/Org
Is there a way to create a custom Address Book in Exchange 2003 that points to another trusted/non-trusted AD/Exchange Org? Similar to the Outlook functionality where you can create a custom Address Book, point it to another Domains DC and specify credentials that have read access to the other domain. I guess I could create a custom LDAP string that points to the other directory, but how can I specify credentials in this filter? Thanks alot! NTNEWS You can create a "static" address list after exporting/importing users from one Forest as Contacts in another using scripts/ldifd...