Embedded pictures

Hello!

I noticed that the when we set the picture property of a button or another
control as embedded, it takes a lot of place.
Is there an explication that show why the Access file encrease in size by
more than the picture size (even if it is a bitmap, a format that is normaly
heavy)

Exemple:
An mdb without picture would take 4 MB
the same file with pictures would increase to 40 MB with only 400 KB of
pictures. In JPEG format.

Is it because Access uses a non efficient compression to include the image
file?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion!

PS: I know that I can set the picture to Linked, and the Access file will
not increase in size, but I cannot do that because I want to keep its
portability as easy as it is now.

0
George

If you code as a BLOB, you'll roughly double the size of the image. If you
want to use less than 100 bytes per record, you can (and I do) store the
picture in the file system and call it in the form's Current event. I have
demo app that shows how to do this:

http://www.datastrat.com/Download/Picture2K.zip
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"George" <george@jungle.nz> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I noticed that the when we set the picture property of a button or another
> control as embedded, it takes a lot of place.
> Is there an explication that show why the Access file encrease in size by
> more than the picture size (even if it is a bitmap, a format that is
> normaly heavy)
>
> Exemple:
> An mdb without picture would take 4 MB
> the same file with pictures would increase to 40 MB with only 400 KB of
> pictures. In JPEG format.
>
> Is it because Access uses a non efficient compression to include the image
> file?
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestion!
>
> PS: I know that I can set the picture to Linked, and the Access file will
> not increase in size, but I cannot do that because I want to keep its
> portability as easy as it is now.

0
Arvin
3/12/2008 5:56:24 PM
Hi Arvin,

Thank you for your response, but I'm talking more about the pictures that
you set in a button or on a form or anywhere more than storing them in a
table as a link (like you've done it in your app) or as blob fields.

What I've done so fare is changing the property of many buttons on my forms
only to enhance their look. And I cannot afford to load the picture each
time from an external folder and set the picture property of all my
customized controls on the load event of the form.

Thanks again and sorry for the misunderstanding in my original question.

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
ehsQkpGhIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> If you code as a BLOB, you'll roughly double the size of the image. If you
> want to use less than 100 bytes per record, you can (and I do) store the
> picture in the file system and call it in the form's Current event. I have
> demo app that shows how to do this:
>
> http://www.datastrat.com/Download/Picture2K.zip
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
>
> "George" <george@jungle.nz> wrote in message
>> Hello!
>>
>> I noticed that the when we set the picture property of a button or
>> another control as embedded, it takes a lot of place.
>> Is there an explication that show why the Access file encrease in size by
>> more than the picture size (even if it is a bitmap, a format that is
>> normaly heavy)
>>
>> Exemple:
>> An mdb without picture would take 4 MB
>> the same file with pictures would increase to 40 MB with only 400 KB of
>> pictures. In JPEG format.
>>
>> Is it because Access uses a non efficient compression to include the
>> image file?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any suggestion!
>>
>> PS: I know that I can set the picture to Linked, and the Access file will
>> not increase in size, but I cannot do that because I want to keep its
>> portability as easy as it is now.

0
George
3/12/2008 6:56:11 PM
The only way to reduce the size is to load the images as required. You can
use the Current event in code to do that:

Private Sub Form_Current()
    Me.cmdWhatever.Picture = "C:\AppPix\buttonpic.bmp"
    Me.cmdAnother.Picture = "C:\AppPix\buttonpic2.bmp"
    ' etc. ...
End Sub
--

> Hi Arvin,
>
> Thank you for your response, but I'm talking more about the pictures that
> you set in a button or on a form or anywhere more than storing them in a
> table as a link (like you've done it in your app) or as blob fields.
>
> What I've done so fare is changing the property of many buttons on my
> forms only to enhance their look. And I cannot afford to load the picture
> each time from an external folder and set the picture property of all my
> customized controls on the load event of the form.
>
> Thanks again and sorry for the misunderstanding in my original question.
>

> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
> ehsQkpGhIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> If you code as a BLOB, you'll roughly double the size of the image. If
>> you want to use less than 100 bytes per record, you can (and I do) store
>> the picture in the file system and call it in the form's Current event. I
>> have demo app that shows how to do this:
>>
>> http://www.datastrat.com/Download/Picture2K.zip
>> --
>> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> http://www.datastrat.com
>> http://www.mvps.org/access
>> http://www.accessmvp.com
>>
>> "George" <george@jungle.nz> wrote in message
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I noticed that the when we set the picture property of a button or
>>> another control as embedded, it takes a lot of place.
>>> Is there an explication that show why the Access file encrease in size
>>> by more than the picture size (even if it is a bitmap, a format that is
>>> normaly heavy)
>>>
>>> Exemple:
>>> An mdb without picture would take 4 MB
>>> the same file with pictures would increase to 40 MB with only 400 KB of
>>> pictures. In JPEG format.
>>>
>>> Is it because Access uses a non efficient compression to include the
>>> image file?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for any suggestion!
>>>
>>> PS: I know that I can set the picture to Linked, and the Access file
>>> will not increase in size, but I cannot do that because I want to keep
>>> its portability as easy as it is now.

0
Arvin

Extracting embedded photos
Not sure this is a conversion issue, but don't know where to post it. Before I learned the hard way, I embedded photos in a database, linked to another database for display. I've reached the database size limit and realize I should have linked the photos instead. (original photos not available) Any ideas on a process to run thru the embedded photos and convert them back to original jpg - the manual process is too massive an effort. Thanks See http://www.lebans.com/oletodisk.htm On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:18:01 -0700, bigitch <bigitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Not ...

embedded database
We are developing software applications for Insurance agents that will reside on their laptops and desktops. We are looking for recommendation on which client side embedded database to use in our application. I was wondering if anyone knows what Intuit uses in their product or what Microsoft uses for MS Money. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Paul Money uses MSISAM. Little is known about this--it apparently is a closed-up version of the Jet database used by MS Access. "P Gupta" <pkgupta@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:qd7qc.318$eQ3.177@newss...

Download pictures
Users have outlook 2007 and outlook 2003 50/50 with exchange 2003sp2. I would like to universally set all outlook clients to allow images in messages sent from our mail server and prompt for others. Is this doable or Is this a GPO question? regards -- CR ...

How do I blend a picture?
I would like to wash out a photo but it is still square. How can I blend a photo in to the back round of a document? Use a photo editing program. "Stevei G." <Stevei G.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A169395D-9B7D-4C80-BE6E-7FE096B3CA24@microsoft.com... >I would like to wash out a photo but it is still square. How can I blend a > photo in to > the back round of a document? Draw a circle, fill, fill effects, picture tab, browse to your picture, use the wash out tool, no line. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer...

create email newsletter with pictures and hyperlinks using publis
I want to create an email newsletter in publisher that will contain pictures and hyperlinks. Basically, I can do this right in my yahoo email but I can't get the fancy formats like those in publisher. What type of file should I save it as and then how do link it to the email. I've tried doing this several ways including saving it as a webpage or jpg file, publishing the page, and then copying it to the email text --- but that didn't work. What am I doing wrong here? "John Downing" <JohnDowning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49470DF6-A4...

email with picture in body
Hello Community, when i send email with pictures in body to a queue in crm, there is only shown a red X as a placeholder for the picture. thomas On Jun 7, 3:19 pm, "Mark Spoonman" <spoonmancomp...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello Community, > > when i send email with pictures in body to a queue in crm, there is only > shown a red X as a placeholder for the picture. > > thomas Look here for some help with this common question: http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com/2005/03/end-user-how-to-creating-html-email.html Brian Begley CPA MCSE http://mscrmspot.blogspot.com Cho...

No "Download Pictures" option in context menu
Hi, I am sending a newsletter to subscribers and the header graphic is causing some trouble for clients with Outlook. Outlook is, of course, blocking the image and the warning message appears with the option to download the images. Clicking it works just fine, downloading and displaying the images. What is strangely absent is the same option on the placeholder context menu. The only options are "Copy" and the various hyperlink options, but no option to view images. Although this seems like a simple issue with an easy work-around, I'm afraid it's causing quite a bit...

embedded manifest
How can modify the embedded manifet for MFC Standard DLL and MFC Application to set: <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker|highestAvailable|requireAdministrator" uiAccess="true|false"/> Hi Don ...

Ghost picture frames
I occasionally loose track of superfluous empty picture frames and they end up hidden behind something more opaque. Is there some straight forward way of hunting down these "ghosts" ? -- Maggie Hi Maggie (pagebooks@cinci.rr.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || I occasionally loose track of superfluous empty picture frames and || they end up hidden behind something more opaque. Is there some || straight forward way of hunting down these "ghosts" ? You could try running the Design Checker. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publish...

unable to view signature pictures from outlook
When i opened my outlook, i cant view those signature pictures, it gives me an X mark Sorry, this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a newsgroup related to Outlook. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "jomsky" <jomsky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E349024C-F108-43D1-B4D7-9A1E10D3ADBB@microsoft.com... > When i opened my outlook, i cant view those signature pictures, it gives > m...

Picture Frames chance brightness of pictures
I'm using PowerPoInt 2007. I have some photographs I have inserted onto slides. I go to Pictures Tools->Format ribbon and select one of the pictures styles. When the frame comes onto my picture - it washes out the picture color - like it's overexposed. I've tried with several different pictures - all with the same results. What's up???? Some of the Picture Styles apply different Surface Lighting settings. With the picture selected (and your new style applied), on the Picture Tools Format tab, click the Format Shape dialog launcher (the small square ...

Why is it that the photos I insert are Embedded?
I used to be able to "Insert Picture From File" and actually see my photo. Now when I perform the same action I can resize my photo but but I cannot see it!? The Graphics Manager Task pane show all my inserts (photos & clip art alike) are embedded. I do not want them embedded. How can I stop them from being embedded?....I don't know why this is happening, it never used to...could some update have caused this? I use Publisher 3003. THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN THIS MATTER! Teresa K wrote: > I used to be able to "Insert Picture From File" and actually see my ...

Embedding a CRichEditView in a CDialogBar
Anyone ever done this successfully before. I create the dialog with a richeditview using the resource editor VC6 and VC2003. Program compiles and links okay, program exits when it fails to create the dialog bar. Regards, Josh I think you need to call AfxInitRichEdit/AfxInitRichEdit2. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Josh Washington" <joshwashington@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:c8ZVb.49861$Wa.16696@news-server.bigpond.net.au... | Anyone ever done this successfully before. | I create the dialog with a richeditview using the resource editor VC6 and | V...

How do you make the background of an croped oval picture transpare
I have a photograph in which I used the elliptical marquee tool on to oval a persons photograph. When printing this on a colored publisher layout, it shows the white edges that make up the remaining part of the picture. Can you please tell me how to remove these white edges so that the color of the background will show? Have you tried the transparency tool on the picture toolbar? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Royal" <Royal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C72DAD34-907D-4DFA-84...

pictures to big
pictures size is to big when i browse and try to post. How do i change size? Get www.irfanview.com Its free. steve "imaddux" <imaddux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64AC6177-34DD-49A1-B623-BBB72E17B232@microsoft.com... > pictures size is to big when i browse and try to post. How do i change > size? I use the box at the right top and bottom corners of the picture and drag it in until the picture is the size I want. Then I send it. "imaddux" wrote: > pictures size is to big when i browse and try to post. How do i ...

Embeded Links
I have embedded links in some files, but there are no names in the worksheet or formulas which are linked to other workbooks. Does anyone have a method of deleting these 'ghost' links. Hi try the following add-in to find/delete links: http://www.bmsltd.ie/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FindLink.zip -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0beb01c46e83$c3cc8c30$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have embedded links in some files, but there are no > names in the worksheet or formulas which are linked to...

pictures and attachments
when i view an attachment it will show text but no pictures...I can not figure out what i have done to make this happen...if a picture is in the body of the email i can view it but i can not get the attachment to work??? thanks ...

Embedding
Why wont Times New Roman embed when I send publisher file to Distiller even tho it tells me the it is embedded when I check on the tools, commericial printing tools, fonts. Phillipa Bloom <pbloom@blooms.demon.co.uk> was very recently heard to utter: > Why wont Times New Roman embed when I send publisher file to Distiller > even tho it tells me the it is embedded when I check on the tools, > commericial printing tools, fonts. Tools > Commercial Print Tools > Fonts tells you whether a font is embedded in the Publisher document. To adjust the embedding settings for Distil...

need to update stores with pictures from HQ
What is the best way to update the picture field in my 2 stores? i don't see any way to do it with the worksheets unless i run a 260 which i'd rather not do..... jessica ...

How do I size an embedded Excel OLE and keep it that way in Word
I copy and paste special an Excel worksheet with multiple tabs into word on a sheet. I size the Excel sheet while it is open in Excel and then double click outside it to close it. Everything looks good. I do this on three consecutive sheets. When I go back to one of them and double click to make a change in the Excel sheet it opens way larger than it was and causes it to advance onto another sheet. I have to resize it but they just don't stay sized when re-opening. How do I fix this? When you paste special - try choosing the bitmap object and check the link box. You ca...

Embedding and Printing Excel into Word
I have a need to print an Excel file in landscape (multiple pages) but have a header/footer along the 8.5" edge of the page. I've been doing this in a two step process. First I would create and print the header/footer in Word in portrait layout, print in reverse order, load printer sheets into the printer feed tray and then print the Excel file in landscape between the header/footer. Not only does this take aditional time but the toner has a tendacy of smudging on some of the printed pages. Does anyone have an idea on a better method? ...

Embedding
I'm using word 2007. I have a word document that I need to embed another word document in to. Is this possible? Thanks, Burt Click Insert tab | Object. In the Object dialog box, click the Create from File tab. Use the Browse button to locate the file that you want to embed. Select the file and then click the Insert button. In the Object dialog box, if you want to link the inserted file, be sure to select "Link to file" before clicking OK. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via msnews.microsoft.com) "Burt" <Burt@discussions.mi...

Object Linking & embedding error
An .xls attachment give the 'cannot use object linking & embedding error' The file fails to open and appears on screen for just a second. Any ideas! where the problem is! Sunil I' ve run into the same error, and am to the point that its time to throw this piece out the window. Has a solution for this problem been found? OS. win 2000 pro. PG. Office 2000 error. cannot open object linking and enbedding. I had the same error on another PC and was able to re-install the pg. and it stopped. Go figure.... ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted...

Embedded SP
I have a stored procedure (SQL 2008) that contains a single transaction. Can I have an EXEC of a SP inside the transaction and still maintain the integrity? For example BEGIN TRAN T1; INSERT .... UPDATE ... EXEC mc_mysp ... INSERT ... UPDATE ... COMMIT TRAN T1; Thanks. -- David On Aug 14, 8:40=A0am, DavidC <dlch...@lifetimeinc.com> wrote: > I have a stored procedure (SQL 2008) that contains a single transaction. = Can > I have an EXEC of a SP inside the transaction and still maintain the > integrity? =A0For example > > BEGIN TRAN T1; > ...

can not seem to be able to print all pictures on a report
Using image control to display photos, the problem I am exsperiencing is they all show up on form and in report view but only some show up on print preview and or when I actually print the report. The table is storing the path not the actual picture each photo is about 3 meg. and are in JPG format. As noted is am able to see all the pictures on the form and in report view just not in print preview. Any help and or suggestions to get this to work would be great! Thanks Russ -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/...