Duplicate form - Stamp New Date

I am trying to copy a form that holds a vehicle's information, it's current
assignment, etc...
What I need to do is when the vehicle's infor is changed (for example,
assignment) I need to copy to duplicate the date and stamp the date of
"change" but also keeping the history of where the vehicle was previously
assigned.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

0
norm

My initial impression is that your table structure is not normalized... that
you're storing a separate, complete record for a vehicle for each
assignment. Instead, what you should have is a table that holds just the
assignments for each vehicle, linked back to the main vehicle table by the
vehicle's ID field. Then, you would create a new record in the assignments
table for that vehicle, and you wouldn't need to copy any of the main data
to a new record.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"norm" <normkara.remove@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to copy a form that holds a vehicle's information, it's current
>assignment, etc...
> What I need to do is when the vehicle's infor is changed (for example,
> assignment) I need to copy to duplicate the date and stamp the date of
> "change" but also keeping the history of where the vehicle was previously
> assigned.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated

0
Ken
1/25/2008 7:50:47 PM
The problem with this there is more information then just assignments that
has to perserved, I need to duplicate the record:
But first I must mark the original as "Inactive" duplicate the form and
data, make the changes and mark it as "active" this way I have the complete
history of assignments of the specific vehicle. The problem I have is I
inherited this Data Base originally written in DBase IV and that is how it
is set up, so I have 2 tables one "active" and one "assignments" and I need
to perserve the exitsing data. I have a primary key based on VIN number
(Vehicle Indentification Number).

My initial impression is that your table structure is not normalized... that
you're storing a separate, complete record for a vehicle for each
assignment. Instead, what you should have is a table that holds just the
assignments for each vehicle, linked back to the main vehicle table by the
vehicle's ID field. Then, you would create a new record in the assignments
table for that vehicle, and you wouldn't need to copy any of the main data
to a new record.

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"norm" <normkara.remove@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to copy a form that holds a vehicle's information, it's current
>assignment, etc...
> What I need to do is when the vehicle's infor is changed (for example,
> assignment) I need to copy to duplicate the date and stamp the date of
> "change" but also keeping the history of where the vehicle was previously
> assigned.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated

0
norm
1/26/2008 10:25:57 AM
Ken's advice still holds true! You're violating the Cardinal Rule of
Relational Databases by unnecessarily storing duplicate data!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
1/26/2008 2:18:25 PM
Your unnormalized database structure will continue to cause you major pain
as you find more things that need to updated.

It's not clear from your information where you want to put the "inactive"
record. Is that being put into another table? Or in the same table? If in
the same table, how do you handle duplicate primary key (VIN) values when
you add a new "active" record?

And, how do you want to trigger this "mark the current record inactive and
make a new record as the active one"?
--

> The problem with this there is more information then just assignments that
> has to perserved, I need to duplicate the record:
> But first I must mark the original as "Inactive" duplicate the form and
> data, make the changes and mark it as "active" this way I have the
> complete history of assignments of the specific vehicle. The problem I
> have is I inherited this Data Base originally written in DBase IV and that
> is how it is set up, so I have 2 tables one "active" and one "assignments"
> and I need to perserve the exitsing data. I have a primary key based on
> VIN number (Vehicle Indentification Number).
>

> My initial impression is that your table structure is not normalized...
> that
> you're storing a separate, complete record for a vehicle for each
> assignment. Instead, what you should have is a table that holds just the
> assignments for each vehicle, linked back to the main vehicle table by the
> vehicle's ID field. Then, you would create a new record in the assignments
> table for that vehicle, and you wouldn't need to copy any of the main data
> to a new record.
>
> --
>
>        Ken Snell
> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>

> "norm" <normkara.remove@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I am trying to copy a form that holds a vehicle's information, it's
>>current assignment, etc...
>> What I need to do is when the vehicle's infor is changed (for example,
>> assignment) I need to copy to duplicate the date and stamp the date of
>> "change" but also keeping the history of where the vehicle was previously
>> assigned.
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated

0
Ken

Duplicates

new mail
test 0 1 2 3 ...

Preventing date from changing #2
I'm using excel for invoicing purposes. I have it set up so that when I open the master invoice the date is automatically inserted with the "Now" command. My problem is that when/if I open this same invoice at a later date; that original date will change to the current date. I would like the original date to remain. Is this possible? Enter the date using CTRL ; Barb Reinhardt "theslaz" <slaz@home.com> wrote in message news:zMuze.123903$tt5.74430@edtnps90... > I'm using excel for invoicing purposes. I have it set up so that when I > open the master ...

If .NET 4.0 is new.....
If .NET 4.0 is a completely new framework, will anything compiled for 1.0 up to 3.5 work with only 4.0 installed? -- Tim. The comments I've seen in other places say you must have the previous versions installed or 4.0 won't install and/or run. "Tim Munro" <Excelsior@Liamtoh.moc> wrote in message news:%235gAFT46KHA.5708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > If .NET 4.0 is a completely new framework, will anything compiled for 1.0 > up to 3.5 work with only 4.0 installed? > > -- > Tim. > > "Jerry" <ChiefZekeNoSpam@...

Can't Create New Public Folders in a General Purpose PF Tree
Hello, I'm not able to create 2nd-level public folders underneath a newly created Public Folder Tree using Exchange System Manager. I'm logged on as an Exchange Full Administrator. I first create an alternate public store under Administrative Groups | First Administrative Group | First Storage Group | Alternate Public Store. Then when I move down to the Folders container (Administrative Groups | First Administrative Group | Folders ) I can create a new Public Folder Tree called Alternate Tree in addition to the tree that is already there called Public Folders. Everything i...

new font
I am trying to add a new font to publisher but can't seem to do it. help anyone. ...

Moving Storage Group to New Server
I had Exchange 2003 running on an Enterprise server but I want to move it over to a SBS 2003 server instead. We only have a few mailboxes on the server and i want to know what the easiest way to move them over to the new server would be. I have made an attempt to do so using Windows backup and then restoring it on the new server but it would not mount the database on the new server because the Organizational name is different on the SBS server. However I was not given an opportunity to set that name during Exchange installation on the SBS server and I can't figure out how to set it afte...

Money 2004 crash in mnyob99.dll with new file
I just upgraded to money 2004. Whenever I created a new file (via File->New File), money crashes and the system (XP) reported the fault was in mnyob99.dll. This means that I won't be able to create any new money file at all. I also followed some earlier message by opening the sample money file, it works, but then it still crashed when I tried to create a new file. I searched suport.microsoft.com and did not find anything that would solve the problem. Please help. Thanks. MJ - I have a very similary problem installing money 2003, and the suggested help provided to me in an earlier mes...

Receiving duplicate emails

Your new help tab sucks.
Your new help tab really, really sucks. All I really need is a box where you type a command, say "header", and the buttons for that command appear. That's it. I don't need yet another way to search help. I don't need a button telling me how to find the Save button. I don't need an interactive version of Word 2003's menu. I just need a way to quickly bring up commands by name. -- Jonathan Allen ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestio...

Converting old ERD to new
I'm trying to edit an old Entity Relationship Diagram. It was generated with the 'Crow's Feet' template, but that's all I can tell you regarding what version of Visio it was created with. I can open the diagram in my new Visio 2002 SR1 version, but I don't see a 'Database' menu. When I open the ERS (US Units) stencil, I still don't get a 'Database' menu. I can drag an 'Entity' symbol onto the drawing, but can't edit any attributes. I can create a new ERS (US units) based drawing, and then get a 'Database' menu, and can cre...

MDI
Hello, I'm wondering if it's possible to somehow bypass the built in "document type" selection dialog that opens up when you execute CWinApp::OnFileNew in a MDI with several different document types? I'd like to add the "shortcuts" to create a specific documents type into the main menu instead of just having one "File New" menu item. Is that possible? :) Thanks for the help in advance, Amadej. >I'm wondering if it's possible to somehow bypass the built in >"document type" selection dialog that opens up when you execute >...

ACC2007: SubForm slows down form
Hello, i have a form which is connected to a query with about 6000 records on sql server. If i open that form, it is really fast. But If i add an empty subform on this form, the form opens in 12 sec. What i've seen is, that without the subform the record counter on the bottom only shows the current record but with a subform on it, it seems that it loops through all records and the shows "1 of 6000". Any ideas why there is a difference? I also tried to make the subform invisible or disable it, but the behaviour is the same. Regards Andi ...

Duplicate, Duplicate, dupli ...

No outside mail to new accounts
I have an exch 5.5 , we are moving off of, to an exch 2k3 server. All mailboxes were moved last sept. working fine. Now when we create a new account they cannot recieve mail from the outside. Any Ideas? Check the queues... and tell us what you see. Something in event viewer? Saludos, Pablo Vernocchi vernocchi@pcoffice.com.ar.delete.this Buenos Aires, Argentina On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:27:02 -0800, "Benningtonr" <Benningtonr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have an exch 5.5 , we are moving off of, to an exch 2k3 server. All >mailboxes were moved last sept. worki...

Print scrollable user form.
I have a user form that uses scroll bars. I added a button at th bottom of the form to print what is on the user form. The cod executed is userform.Printform. The only part of the form that print is the part of the form that is in the user window. How can I get th whole form to print, including what is out of the user window? Thanks, Crai -- cparson ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cparsons's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1286 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39291 ...

New to Charts
Hello there! I have a task to put together 5 "ladders" showing sales targets. Each of the 5 have a different "goal", but I need all the ladders to be the same height. (So, some "rungs" will be thicker or some ladders will have more rungs, but the overall height of each ladder must be the same). These ladders are reflecting sales for this quarter and will "grow" as the quarter goes on. Each ladder is a different color. Raw data is collected daily, but I think I'm only going to use the accumulative total each time I plot the graph. Bob's go...

Adding only new files to a backup folder
I have a folder containing some five thousand files sorted in numerous subfolders, totaling about 800GB so far and counting. I occasionally add a new file to an appropriate subfolder. So far I safegurd by copying the entire folder on a backup drive. Such a task naturally takes long, long time (two days or longer) even though only a small fraction of the files population is newly created or modified. I am looking for a way that first compares the backup folder witht the parent folder to isolate newly added files and then copies them to the existing backup folder. This way I shou...

Calculating hours elapsed when date/ time > 24 hours
I am trying to calcualte the time in hours and minutes between cells. The simple subtract function works when the dates are the same but I am having complications crossing the 24 hour mark. cell 1 cell 2 formula result 4/1/2009 09:55 4/2/2009 08:57 =cell 2 - cell 1 23:02 problem cell 1 cell 2 formula result 4/1/2009 09:55 4/2/2009 15:46 =cell 2 - cell 1 05:51 Can someone please help m...

Transaction Dates
Bill Gates just can't make it easier can he? Ever since my bank upgraded their software I am having the worst time with e-pay's & x-fers thru money. Can someone help me understand why? When I submit a payment via Money the program tells me it has to change the date because it can't be processed on that day. For example; Today I requested that 3k be transfered from my savings to my checking. In the past the transfer would go thru and there was no issue. Now I get a message that says my bank doesn't have enough time to do the transfer and the date must be modified ...

Easiest way of moving CRM 3 data to new server
We setup all of our CRM 3 data on an old server. Now that we are using CRM for real, we have ordered a nice new shiny box for CRM to run on. Is there an easy way to move the CRM data across from the current box to the new one? If not, its not a great problem, but would save a lot of boring jobs for someone here. Olly Check the Implementation Guide for the recovery options. You can follow those basic steps to "restore" the data to the new SQL box. Another option would be to explore the Redeployment Tool. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Oliver Marshall" <O...

Joining Existing Computers to New SBS 2008 Domain
I have eight computers I will need to join to a SBS 2008 domain. They are currently joined to a Win2k server with the same domain name. I am retiring the Win2k server and replacing with the SBS 2008 server. They have POP3 email accouints, so that is not an issue. Do I need to unjoin the existing domain and rejoin to the SBS 2008 domain even though they have the same domain name? I do not want to perform AD migration because of existing problems. Thanks! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01CAB16F.8E748E90 Content-Type: text/plain; cha...