Display Count of records from subform on Main form

I need to show a count of records for doc on main form.  Doc info is on main
form and list of pts is on subform.  I have entered an unbound text box on
the main form and have tried DCount, ABSSum and Count all I get is 0.  This
is what I have entered:  =DCount([ID]) or ABS(Sum([myfrom].[ID]) and
=Count([ID]).  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.  Thank you.

Try it this way:

Create a query with the needed table. Add the id-field to the grid. Total it
by Count. Save the query and on the form you place an unbound field.

In VBA you can do a Dlookup for the one field in the query like

Dlookup("id","name of your query")
This will display the amount of records.

hth
--
Maurice Ausum

"TotallyConfused" wrote:

> I need to show a count of records for doc on main form.  Doc info is on main
> form and list of pts is on subform.  I have entered an unbound text box on
> the main form and have tried DCount, ABSSum and Count all I get is 0.  This
> is what I have entered:  =DCount([ID]) or ABS(Sum([myfrom].[ID]) and
> =Count([ID]).  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.  Thank you.
DLookup will not return a number of records.  As written, it will return the
first value it finds in the ID field in the query.
The correct method would be

=DCount("*", "Query Name","[ID] = " & Me.txtID)
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"Maurice" wrote:

> Try it this way:
>
> Create a query with the needed table. Add the id-field to the grid. Total it
> by Count. Save the query and on the form you place an unbound field.
>
> In VBA you can do a Dlookup for the one field in the query like
>
> Dlookup("id","name of your query")
> This will display the amount of records.
>
> hth
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "TotallyConfused" wrote:
>
> > I need to show a count of records for doc on main form.  Doc info is on main
> > form and list of pts is on subform.  I have entered an unbound text box on
> > the main form and have tried DCount, ABSSum and Count all I get is 0.  This
> > is what I have entered:  =DCount([ID]) or ABS(Sum([myfrom].[ID]) and
> > =Count([ID]).  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.  Thank you.
I know what you mean but if you create a query as stated you would only get
one field with a total count in it. Then when you use a dlookup you would
only get one value returned being the total count of the records as created
by the query...
--
Maurice Ausum

"Klatuu" wrote:

> DLookup will not return a number of records.  As written, it will return the
> first value it finds in the ID field in the query.
> The correct method would be
>
> =DCount("*", "Query Name","[ID] = " & Me.txtID)
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Maurice" wrote:
>
> > Try it this way:
> >
> > Create a query with the needed table. Add the id-field to the grid. Total it
> > by Count. Save the query and on the form you place an unbound field.
> >
> > In VBA you can do a Dlookup for the one field in the query like
> >
> > Dlookup("id","name of your query")
> > This will display the amount of records.
> >
> > hth
> > --
> > Maurice Ausum
> >

> > "TotallyConfused" wrote:
> >
> > > I need to show a count of records for doc on main form.  Doc info is on main
> > > form and list of pts is on subform.  I have entered an unbound text box on
> > > the main form and have tried DCount, ABSSum and Count all I get is 0.  This
> > > is what I have entered:  =DCount([ID]) or ABS(Sum([myfrom].[ID]) and
> > > =Count([ID]).  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.  Thank you.
That is not correct.  DLook does not return a number of records, it returns
one value from the field specified.

First sentence of DLookup in VBA Help:

You can use the DLookup function to get the value of a particular field from
a specified set of records (a domain).

And further on:
If more than one field meets criteria, the DLookup function returns the
first occurrence. You should specify criteria that will ensure that the field
value returned by the DLookup function is unique. You may want to use a
primary key value for your criteria, such as [EmployeeID] in the following
example, to ensure that the DLookup function returns a unique value

So how do you get a count from DLookup?
--

"Maurice" wrote:

> I know what you mean but if you create a query as stated you would only get
> one field with a total count in it. Then when you use a dlookup you would
> only get one value returned being the total count of the records as created
> by the query...
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
> > DLookup will not return a number of records.  As written, it will return the
> > first value it finds in the ID field in the query.
> > The correct method would be
> >
> > =DCount("*", "Query Name","[ID] = " & Me.txtID)
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Maurice" wrote:
> >
> > > Try it this way:
> > >
> > > Create a query with the needed table. Add the id-field to the grid. Total it
> > > by Count. Save the query and on the form you place an unbound field.
> > >
> > > In VBA you can do a Dlookup for the one field in the query like
> > >
> > > Dlookup("id","name of your query")
> > > This will display the amount of records.
> > >
> > > hth
> > > --
> > > Maurice Ausum

Ok, let me try to explain what I meant.

You can create a query from let's say table1 which contains 10 records with
several fields.
When you drop the first field on the grid and then use a group by Count you
would get one result in the query from just one field.

You can now perform a dlookup as follows:

dlookup ("field";"created query")

this will return the only field you have designated in your query. The field
contains the total count of records thereby giving you a number (actually a
fieldvalue).

Does that make sense?
--
Maurice Ausum

"Klatuu" wrote:

> That is not correct.  DLook does not return a number of records, it returns
> one value from the field specified.
>
> First sentence of DLookup in VBA Help:
>
> You can use the DLookup function to get the value of a particular field from
> a specified set of records (a domain).
>
> And further on:
> If more than one field meets criteria, the DLookup function returns the
> first occurrence. You should specify criteria that will ensure that the field
> value returned by the DLookup function is unique. You may want to use a
> primary key value for your criteria, such as [EmployeeID] in the following
> example, to ensure that the DLookup function returns a unique value
>
> So how do you get a count from DLookup?
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Maurice" wrote:
>
> > I know what you mean but if you create a query as stated you would only get
> > one field with a total count in it. Then when you use a dlookup you would
> > only get one value returned being the total count of the records as created
> > by the query...
> > --
> > Maurice Ausum
> >

> > "Klatuu" wrote:
> >
> > > DLookup will not return a number of records.  As written, it will return the
> > > first value it finds in the ID field in the query.
> > > The correct method would be
> > >
> > > =DCount("*", "Query Name","[ID] = " & Me.txtID)
> > > --
> > > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

I understand what you are saying, now, but does it make sense?

I don't think so.  It would add additional overhead.  The DCount, IMHO, is a
better solution.
--

"Maurice" wrote:

> Ok, let me try to explain what I meant.
>
> You can create a query from let's say table1 which contains 10 records with
> several fields.
> When you drop the first field on the grid and then use a group by Count you
> would get one result in the query from just one field.
>
> You can now perform a dlookup as follows:
>
> dlookup ("field";"created query")
>
> this will return the only field you have designated in your query. The field
> contains the total count of records thereby giving you a number (actually a
> fieldvalue).
>
> Does that make sense?
> --
> Maurice Ausum
>

> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
> > That is not correct.  DLook does not return a number of records, it returns
> > one value from the field specified.
> >
> > First sentence of DLookup in VBA Help:
> >
> > You can use the DLookup function to get the value of a particular field from
> > a specified set of records (a domain).
> >
> > And further on:
> > If more than one field meets criteria, the DLookup function returns the
> > first occurrence. You should specify criteria that will ensure that the field
> > value returned by the DLookup function is unique. You may want to use a
> > primary key value for your criteria, such as [EmployeeID] in the following
> > example, to ensure that the DLookup function returns a unique value
> >
> > So how do you get a count from DLookup?
> > --
> > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> > "Maurice" wrote:
> >
> > > I know what you mean but if you create a query as stated you would only get
> > > one field with a total count in it. Then when you use a dlookup you would
> > > only get one value returned being the total count of the records as created
> > > by the query...
> > > --
> > > Maurice Ausum

Ok, fair enough I think the additional overhead would consist of one query.
However the dcount as it was originally meant for does the trick also..
--
Maurice Ausum

"Klatuu" wrote:

> I understand what you are saying, now, but does it make sense?
>
> I don't think so.  It would add additional overhead.  The DCount, IMHO, is a
> better solution.
> --
> Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Maurice" wrote:
>
> > Ok, let me try to explain what I meant.
> >
> > You can create a query from let's say table1 which contains 10 records with
> > several fields.
> > When you drop the first field on the grid and then use a group by Count you
> > would get one result in the query from just one field.
> >
> > You can now perform a dlookup as follows:
> >
> > dlookup ("field";"created query")
> >
> > this will return the only field you have designated in your query. The field
> > contains the total count of records thereby giving you a number (actually a
> > fieldvalue).
> >
> > Does that make sense?
> > --
> > Maurice Ausum
> >

> > "Klatuu" wrote:
> >
> > > That is not correct.  DLook does not return a number of records, it returns
> > > one value from the field specified.
> > >
> > > First sentence of DLookup in VBA Help:
> > >
> > > You can use the DLookup function to get the value of a particular field from
> > > a specified set of records (a domain).
> > >
> > > And further on:
> > > If more than one field meets criteria, the DLookup function returns the
> > > first occurrence. You should specify criteria that will ensure that the field
> > > value returned by the DLookup function is unique. You may want to use a
> > > primary key value for your criteria, such as [EmployeeID] in the following
> > > example, to ensure that the DLookup function returns a unique value
> > >
> > > So how do you get a count from DLookup?
> > > --
> > > Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

Dual Displays

Folder could not be displayed

Using "Count" in Queries
I'm having trouble with a query I'm working on. I am running it with multiple criteria and it works perfectly fine. However, when I change the "Total" row from "Group by" to "Count" the query comes up blank. The only time the query performs as it should, with the counts, is when I delete the criteria for all the other fields. How can I get the count to work while still keeping the specific criteria the same? Thank you in advance for the help! Tim wrote: >I'm having trouble with a query I'm working on. I am running it with mul...

Dataset Merge / getchanges just adding records?
I'm using the following subroutine. The two different XML files are identical with the exception of three additional records in the second one. One has 450 records, and the other has 453. After merging, I get 903 records. I guess what I expected was 3 records; just the differences in the two. The two tables have the exact same structure, etc.... So am I misinterpreting how to do this? It seems to me that the merge should produce only three new records! Private Sub btnStart_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnStart.Click Dim dsOld As Data...

How to select & display distinct values

find and count days in blocks of consecutive dates
I need to find a way using Excel to find blocks of consecutive dates in a list and then count how many days are in each block. Any help is appreciated. Hi if i'm understanding you correctly, you can use the COUNTIF function =COUNTIF(range,">="&datevalue("lowest_date"))-COUNTIF(range,">"&datevalue("highest_date")) e.g. =COUNTIF(A1:A23,">="&DATEVALUE("2/10/04"))-COUNTIF(A1:A23,">"&DATEVALUE("4/10/04")) counts all the days between 2/10/04 and the 4/10/04 inclusive PS you might nee...

Display Time in Outlook

PK and FK Displayed

Formulas are displayed, results are not

subform not loading before main form
Hi MS Access 2003 SP2 After I did some refactoring of the subform code, the subform just would not load. In fact, it skips the subform without any error, and fails to load the main form as the main form depends on the subform for some data. My problem was Private Const START_DATE as Date = "#00:00:00#" I had accidentally added quotation marks around the date literal. Since it was not throwing an error it took me 2 days to track down this simple mistake. Hope others won't have to waste so much time! Riyaz Compile --- Hi Riyaz, "Since it was not throwing an error i...

Form Advise
Thanks for the reply Doug.Would I do this with 3 seperate command buttons?, if not I am unawareof the code required. If I do use command buttons how does this workwith setting the properties for the form. I mean if I set the from toallow no additions how will this work when I click the command buttonto add a record,?. I'm suggesting that you have a button that resets the form's properties. A toggle button might be best: allow changes when it's depressed, and don't allow them when it's raised.In your form's Load event, you'd put code like: Me.MyToggleButton = FalseI...

Continuous forms on tabbed form?
I have a main form which has a tabbed control. On the tabbed control I want to display a subform as a Continous form but even though I have set the property to Continuos form the subform shows as a single form. Does this mean that I can'tshow a Continuos Form as a subform on a tabbed main form? Thanks Tony -- Why don't my grey cells communicate with each as fast as they used to? I hate getting old! Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/201001/1 Tony, Yes, you can use a continuous subform on a tab object. ...

Stop displaying a line

counting unique items with annexs
hi all, seeking help please the column A1:A100 contains items like in cell A1 facil.1 A2 beauty.2 A3 facil. A4 facil.3 A5 beauty.4 and so on... Looking for a solution where on counting items will yield 2 (for "facil" and "beauty") and not 5 as each entry is unique, as the flowing formula do: ...

Counting against a date
Hi I want to count the rows in a range 'Tests 1' AF3:AF1000=YES if the date in the range 'Tests 1' AD3:AD1000 is (<=) less than or equal to the date in B14 (current sheet) using the following formula: =IF($B14="","",(SUMPRODUCT(('Tests 1'!$AF$3:$AF$1000=YES)*('Tests 1'!AD$3:$AD1000<=$B14)))) unfortunately this returns an #N/A error I'm clearly missing something here so any tips or pointers would be appreciated. -- Steve Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, th...

Forms 06-20-07
Help Guys I have 2 textbox controls on a form The first textbox displays a Transaction Date from a table called sales Now I want the second box to show the Total count of products on that date and before am using the following expression =DCount("[ProductsCode]","Products","[DateIn]"<= "[Date]","Sales" where datein is a field inthe Products table that I want to use as reference for the counting What am I doing wrong and how can I get the total count of the products using the date textbox? I want when I select a date in the Date text...

Display or not display series

Displaying an equation
I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have equations in them. I want to have a cell that displays this equation with the answers that are calculated from these other cells displayed as values in the new equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#getformula In article <E4143E2B-360A-4B43-955F-73BF8EC60694@microsoft.com>, "hoising8" <hoising8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have > eq...

Trouble Creating Organization Forms In Exchange 2003
I've built a new Exchange 2003 server on a new AD domain. I'm trying to create a Organization Forms Library but when I right click on EFORMS REGISTRY in the System Manager I do not see the New Organization Form option. Am I in the wrong place or should I see it? Mark Figured it out. I didn't have a "New" option because we limit people from creating Public Folders and have it restricted to "everyone". After removing the restriction temporarily it brought back the "new" option. "Mark McCurdy" <stuff@noreply.com> wrote in me...

Count in a Query
I have a database that I do audits in and the answers are either yes or no. I was wondering how I could build a query with the Sum line to show number of No's. The response for the report that I put out there yesterday worked but it is very time consuming to set up formulas for each field. Thanks In your query criteria line, you can put Like No or possibly use an IIF statement: IIF([yourfieldname]="no","no","") Or find Yes's and No's: IIF([yourfieldname]="No","No","Yes") -- Milton Purdy ACCESS State ...