Data not being saved

Form is based on a combobox that pulls 1000s of records.  The combobox record
source is a query that is based on customer numbers.  The form does not
consistently save changes to records.  However, if the same form is modified
to pull only a single record (i.e., not based on a combobox of 1000s) then
changes are saved.

How are you making "changes to records" ... i.e., to more than one record at
a time?  Usually, a form displays a single record, and Access saves the
changes when instructed, or when another record is called up.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"jsccorps" <jsccorps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Form is based on a combobox that pulls 1000s of records.  The combobox
> record
> source is a query that is based on customer numbers.  The form does not
> consistently save changes to records.  However, if the same form is
> modified
> to pull only a single record (i.e., not based on a combobox of 1000s) then
> changes are saved.

0
Jeff
4/24/2007 11:09:57 PM
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:18:01 -0700, jsccorps
<jsccorps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Form is based on a combobox that pulls 1000s of records.  The combobox record
>source is a query that is based on customer numbers.  The form does not
>consistently save changes to records.  However, if the same form is modified
>to pull only a single record (i.e., not based on a combobox of 1000s) then
>changes are saved.

A form cannot be "based on a combo box".

A combo box is a *tool* which displays data from a table; a Form is a
different kind of tool which displays and allows you to edit data in a Table.

What is the Control Source of the combo box?
What is its Row Source? (a combo does not HAVE a record source).
What is the Recordsource of the form?
What are you actually doing with the combo?

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
4/25/2007 5:37:03 AM
Thanks for replying.

> What is the Control Source of the combo box?
The combo box box does not have a Control Source

> What is its Row Source? (a combo does not HAVE a record source).
Row Source:  Order Inquiry_by Cust_Number rowSource_for ComboBox

> What is the Recordsource of the form?
Record Source of the form is a query: Order Inquiry & Cancellations

> What are you actually doing with the combo?
The intent of the form (with a combobox) is for the users to be able to use
the "type ahead" feature to find particular records.  If a user wants to pull
Cust_Number  4589, they could either type 4589 and the record will show, or
when they type 4 (and pause), customer numbers beginning with 4 would appear
(set to show 10 customer numbers at a time).  When they type 45 and pause,
records with Cust_Number beginning with 45 would appear.  And so on.  This
feature has been working fine when users only want to query info.  But, if
they want to change a particular field, it does not work.

I have a save button that user’s use to save the record, before moving on to
a different Cust_Number.

Thanks

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:18:01 -0700, jsccorps
> <jsccorps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Form is based on a combobox that pulls 1000s of records.  The combobox record
> >source is a query that is based on customer numbers.  The form does not
> >consistently save changes to records.  However, if the same form is modified
> >to pull only a single record (i.e., not based on a combobox of 1000s) then
> >changes are saved.
>
> A form cannot be "based on a combo box".
>
> A combo box is a *tool* which displays data from a table; a Form is a
> different kind of tool which displays and allows you to edit data in a Table.
>
> What is the Control Source of the combo box?
> What is its Row Source? (a combo does not HAVE a record source).
> What is the Recordsource of the form?
> What are you actually doing with the combo?
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]

Copying Data from MS Word into Excel #2
Thanks Sue. Unfortunatley the Word documents aren't tabled. : -- OptionTrade ----------------------------------------------------------------------- OptionTrader's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1495 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26583 Could you convert it to Tables in Word (Table>Convert>Text To Table)? -- HTH RP "OptionTrader" <OptionTrader.1djqom@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:OptionTrader.1djqom@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Thanks Sue. > > Unfort...

Problem with saving an XML file
Hi, I am trying to write to an Xml document. My xml file is present is in the current working directory but whenever i try to make changes to the file and save the change in the XML file (which i specify as a parameter to doc.Save() method) it searches for the file in F:/WINNT/System32 folder... Even if I specify the path explicitly to "F:\Inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication4\UserPass.xml" it gives an error. I have specified the code below. May I know if there is any way by which I nee to set the default path to my current directory. XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument(); string ur...

Data Validation Lists
I have a question regarding the drop downs lists created using Data Validation. Is there any way to make them so that when I type something new into the box that it is automatically added to the drop down list? Thank you!! Download a sample workbook from Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal Scroll down to DV0012 and download the workbook. DV0012 - Update Validation List -- type a new value in a cell that contains data validation, and it's automatically added to the source list, and the list is sorted; a macro automates the list ...

Money 2005 Installed, Bank Data downloaded.....
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to set a category for an institution and have it change all transactions affecting the institution? I downloaded 3 months worth of credit card and bank data. I would like to avoid updating and categorizing every transaction in the account register if I can. I would like to know if you can categorize a transaction by the payee.... Any help would be a big help. Thank you. You'll have to do that manually at first. Then, if you've set the options to use auto-complete, it will remember the last category used for a given payee. Check the editing t...

Undoing a change that has been saved
I Have a database with close to 3,000 addresses on it. I put it in zip code oreder then saved it and closed it when I reopened it and realized I had only arranged the ZIP code and not the addresses that go with them. Is there a way to go back and find an old one. Or to undo a change of the nature? Please help! Thanks You cannot undo a change once the workbook has been saved. Do you have a backup copy somewhere? Did you ever send the file to a friend or co-worker? Are you set up under Save options to "always create a backup"? If so, you will have a backup of the save before th...

Problem moving data from Access to Excel
Thought so to but to no avail. Still receive the same error. Excel VBA Help refers to the cell as follows: Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(5, 3) I have tried: wkb.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range(lngRowIndex, lngColIndex) --> Returns Error 1004 Worksheets("Sheet1").Range(lngRowIndex, lngColIndex) --> Returns Error 1004 With wks("Sheet1").Range(lngRowIndex, lngColIndex) -->Returns Error 438 Object doesnt support this property or method Thanks for your help. -- Jesse Avil�s monk@coqui.net Reply Only To The Newsgroup "Dou...

Rules; Can they be Saved/Moved
Can the rules, you create, be saved off somewhere, so you can apply them to second outlook on another computer? Are these stored in the Registry? Rules storage varies based on version of Outlook and type of account. What version of Outlook are you using? " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O9Q0nMD8EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Can the rules, you create, be saved off somewhere, so you can apply them > to > second outlook on another computer? > Are these stored in the Registry? > > > Outlook 2002 that came with OfficeXP, alt...

retrieve data
How do you retrieve data from an external source? I have an access DB off-site sitting on a remote web server. I do have access to it. How do I retrieve data off it and use it in a local Excel spreadsheet? So that I can format a customize report rather than build a web page. Hi have a look at 'Data - Import External Data - Import Data' you can select your Access database and the respective datasource -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany george wrote: > How do you retrieve data from an external source? > I have an access DB off-site sitting on a remote web server. ...

Printing Specific Data
I made a database for a delivery company and when I click the print button on my database it prints all the addresses we have stored for a specific client... My boss now tells me that we need to print a "Dispatch Service Ticket" for our drivers. How would I go about making a report that only prints the addresses needed for that delivery? Would I need to create a form that has checkboxes and when checked it shows the addresses I want to be printed? Thanks It is very hard to tell you what to do without knowing what data you have in your database. How many add...

Get all Parent Child data of a table
Hi, I have a table that have two column one is ParentID and other is ID . Such that ID Parent ID 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 2 5 2 6 4 I need to do waht is : If i said i need all parent, child for ID 1 than it should return 1,2,3,4,5,6 If i say to get data for ID 5 than it should return 5 If i...

Resource File does save WideChar ?
Hi: I'm testing with a small windows program using VC7.1. I have inserted a new string table and set the language to "Chinese (PRC)". I also entered some Chinese characters in the string table using IME. But the string table shows those Chinese chars as "?" What should I do so that the string table stores the Chinese chars? I tried to define the UNICODE, but it did not make difference. Thanks in Advance. Polaris I've never done this, but there is an issue between what it "shows" and what it actually contains. What do you find in the .rc file? ...

Save Dialog Box for Smartphone 5.0
Dear, I am developing an application to enable user to save file with desired file name, I can get a save dialog box in Pocket PC 5.0 using GetSaveFilaName API, but it dont work for Smartphone 5.0. Is there any way to get Save Dialog Box in Smartphone 5.0 using VC++. I would realy appriciate any help. Thanx Atif ...

Data Migration Framework for 3.0
Can somebody tell me if the data migration framework is available for 3.0? If yes can it be used for data migration from 1.2 to 3.0? If No, when will it be made available. Thanks kamalabr@gmail.com a =E9crit : > Can somebody tell me if the data migration framework is available for > 3.0? If yes can it be used for data migration from 1.2 to 3.0? > > If No, when will it be made available. > > Thanks According to the Microsoft beta support, the DMF released date has just been pushed to about until 90 days after GA. So.. St=E9phane. ...

Customization auto populate account lookup from contact data
I am customizing the CASE form on 3.0. I have added the system attribute called 'responsiblecontactid', (Schema Name) which is a relationship that creates a lookup to Contacts. This is how the CSR's will begin the form, by collecting the caller's name and associating them with their contact record, which we hope is in the system already. Next, once we find the customer's CONTACT record, I'd like to then automatically hook into the onChange() event to populate the CUSTOMER attribute, (schema Name = 'customerid') which is actually a relationship that crea...

I can't add minutes & seconds on imported data
I have used Abby Finereader OCR software to scan a phone bill into Excel 2000, for the purpose of adding the time spent talking to various phone numbers. The OCR software works fine, and I get a column of numbers which represent the minutes and seconds similar to 01:15 02:10 00:15 The trouble is that I cannot add them as they are. They always add to zero. I converted the cells format to Custom [h]:mm:ss but they still will not add. I then created a helper column, and used the Concatenate function to add "00:" in front of each of each of the existing values. The column looked l...

Data Consolidation #3
Hey All, I hope someone can help me. I have a list of about 30k PCs for a Enterprise Dollar estimate thing. I need to find out how much money each Business Unit has in PCs. I have a list of PCs, Cost Center, and Device Type, but like I said I have about 30k of them. I need to find out how I can tell Excel to look for how many instances of each there are per Cost Center. Any ideas? Thanks, cmschube cmschube, Make a Pivot Table. Drag the Cost Center into the left or top. Double-click the heading and set it for count. Drag it again into the data area. This is a bit different in earlier...

duplicate data in column
I created a spreadsheet with three columns from data pulled that may not be correct. One of the columns is MAC address which I know there are duplicates in this column. Based off the 500 rows, I am trying to figure how can I find out where a MAC Address is in the MAC Address more than once. I have found that the MAC address which is tied to a device could be in two locations and I am trying to narrow where it might be since the place we get all the data is never updated. Excel Format example of the file Location Number MACAddress DC1 21 00A0F8610E1C DC1 20 00A0F8610E...

Query Wizard - Filter Data
Folks, I regularly use an MS Access query as a external data source for pivot table. The Access database was recently upsized to SQL Serve 2000. Now when I try and use the MS Access query as the external dat source I get a funny issue. In the query wizard, when I try and filte the data using the dropdown box, the data behind the column I am tryin to filter on does not appear - the dropdown is empty Other useful info: the Query joins 3 tables regards Jame -- jameshalliga ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jameshalligan's Profile: http://www.exce...

Lost all outlook data! Where can i find it back
I have a laptop computer with W2k and i have officeXP in it which installed over Office2000. It have all worked OK for some time, until today i just lost everything out of Microsoft Outlook. Lost contacts, inbox, outbox, all mail accounts, notes........... Is it possible to find it in some file somewhere on harddisc? There must be some file outlook keeps all data in. Do a search for a .pst file. This is the file outlooks keeps all the contacts / emails and what knots in. Thanks "Logni� Stormsson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02ea01c3c8ed$4...

how to show the weekly change and monthly change from the source of daily updated data ???
Hi all~! I have to update the price of different bond daily a follows:- *Mar 5 Mar 6 Mar 7 Mar 8 Mar 9 Mar 12* BOND 1 101 103 105 104 107 109 BOND 2 156 160 170 166 168 168 BOND 3 85 88 87 85 86 8 ************* how can i achieve the daily and weekly change as following (if i onl update the spread as above in one spreadsheet and then have th analysis on another new spreadsheet, accordings to the date selected) *Mar 5* daily change weekly cnahge *bond 1* *101 * + 1 +5 *...

Text Box on Report won't hold user data entry after loosing focus...
I have created a report in Access 2007. This report needs to display records between two dates entered by the user. I put two text boxes on the report so I can enter the start and end dates - I set them to use an input mask of 'short date' format. The problem is that when I enter anything in these text boxes, as soon as the field looses focus, the text is cleared out - thus the text box is left blank. I have a button on the report that calls the requery method of the report and also, as a test, displays the values of these text boxes in a msgbox, but it also shows they are blank. Wh...

Save as JPEG problem
Greetings. I have created a document in Publisher 2002 and want to save it as a JPEG image 24x36 inches. I have noted that the text that is on the document does not look clear when viewed at 100% size. Edges ragged, etc. Does anyone out there know if there is any way to specify the resolution of the file? Any other thoughts on how I can solve this? You cannot specify the resolution of the file in Publisher 2002. In Publisher 2003 you can specify a resolution up to 300dpi. You have 3 choices in Publisher 2003, 96 DPI which is what you get in Publisher 2002, then there is 150 DPI and 3...

Print sorted data
I'm want to sort data frfom various worksheets and that this data be printed all in one page, actually if the information is from five diferent worksheets, the print out comes out in five diferent pages.. I'm using Microsoft Office 2003. Please help. Hi Joseph Maybe you can use this http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#non-contiguous -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Joseph Solis" <Joseph Solis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:186904AC-D5B4-41D6-8ED6-961D5AB77479@microsoft.com... > I'm want to sort data frfom various worksh...

Data Form
I'd like to have the Data Form appear automatically on opening a spreadsheet, rather than going through Data | Entry from the toolbar. This is to be used for data entry into a simple club membership list. Can this be done, and if so how? Tks, Kaye Private Sub Workbook_Open() With Worksheets("Sheet1") .Select .Columns("A:E").Select .ShowDataForm End With End Sub This is workbook event code. To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet (or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks), select View Code f...

How can i do those three steps automatically :Filter data, sort the order, copy & paste to another worksheet
i have a Sheet "1" it contains four columns "Country", "City", "TEL#" & "CONTACT PERSON" with hundreds records. I want to filter the data where it shows "U.K." in the column "Country" and copy those records to the desired rows in another Sheet "2", where those records are presented of "City" in ascending order automatically. Now I have to sort the data by "City" firstly, filter the record by "Country", then copy & paste to another worksheet. I have tried the "Filter&quo...