Copy data of some fields on a form to the next record

I have a form used to enter data on a record in which 7 of the fields will
contain the exact same data for several sebsequent records.  Instead of
having to re-enter repetative data for several sebsequent records, I need a
checkbox (or some indicator) that would set a control that when checked, it
would tell the database that it should carry the data in a certain set of
fields (the 7) to the next record.  For instance, when you order an item
online using a credit card and if you check the box the delivery address
information you just entered will repeat or copy to the billing address
fields.  It would work sort of like that.  If the checkbox is checked then
the 7 fields included in the checkbox group would repeat or copy the data to
the next record.  If the checkbox is unchecked, then the fields in the next
record would all be blank.  Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Kass

Kass

What you are describing doing (copy address to next record) is what you
would need to do ... if you were using a spreadsheet!  You won't get the
best out of Access' relationally-oriented features/functions if you insist
on feeding it 'sheet data.

Is there a reason you aren't doing this in Excel (not that I'm suggesting it
would be appropriate)?

If you want to do this in Access, I'd suggest you take a look at the
Northwind database that comes as a sample with Access.  In a relational
database, you'd have one table for customer info (including address), one
table for Orders, and one table for Order Details (each item ordered).

You would NOT need to repeat the address for each item because the customer
would be associated with the Order, not the detail.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Kass" <Kass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a form used to enter data on a record in which 7 of the fields will
> contain the exact same data for several sebsequent records.  Instead of
> having to re-enter repetative data for several sebsequent records, I need
> checkbox (or some indicator) that would set a control that when checked,
> it
> would tell the database that it should carry the data in a certain set of
> fields (the 7) to the next record.  For instance, when you order an item
> online using a credit card and if you check the box the delivery address
> information you just entered will repeat or copy to the billing address
> fields.  It would work sort of like that.  If the checkbox is checked then
> the 7 fields included in the checkbox group would repeat or copy the data
> the next record.  If the checkbox is unchecked, then the fields in the
> next
> record would all be blank.  Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kass

0
Jeff
8/2/2007 4:13:43 PM
Use command button to call a macro.   Have macro to Set Value to not-visible
text boxes for the data to carry to new record.  Same macro adds new record
and Set Value from not-visible text boxes to new record fields.

Post back if more explaination is needed.

--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"Kass" wrote:

> I have a form used to enter data on a record in which 7 of the fields will
> contain the exact same data for several sebsequent records.  Instead of
> having to re-enter repetative data for several sebsequent records, I need a
> checkbox (or some indicator) that would set a control that when checked, it
> would tell the database that it should carry the data in a certain set of
> fields (the 7) to the next record.  For instance, when you order an item
> online using a credit card and if you check the box the delivery address
> information you just entered will repeat or copy to the billing address
> fields.  It would work sort of like that.  If the checkbox is checked then
> the 7 fields included in the checkbox group would repeat or copy the data to
> the next record.  If the checkbox is unchecked, then the fields in the next
> record would all be blank.  Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kass
Why use a macro?
Just set the default value property of each bound control you want to  carry
forward to it's current value:

    Me.txtWhizzar.DefaultValue = Me.txtWhizzar

Use the command button to set the values, then open a new record with
    Docmd.GotoRecord , , acNewRec

With that said, I will have to agree with Jeff.  Those fields you need to
repeat should be a parent record to records with the non repetitive fields.
--
Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Use command button to call a macro.   Have macro to Set Value to not-visible
> text boxes for the data to carry to new record.  Same macro adds new record
> and Set Value from not-visible text boxes to new record fields.
>
> Post back if more explaination is needed.
>
> --
> KARL DEWEY
> Build a little - Test a little
>

> "Kass" wrote:
>
> > I have a form used to enter data on a record in which 7 of the fields will
> > contain the exact same data for several sebsequent records.  Instead of
> > having to re-enter repetative data for several sebsequent records, I need a
> > checkbox (or some indicator) that would set a control that when checked, it
> > would tell the database that it should carry the data in a certain set of
> > fields (the 7) to the next record.  For instance, when you order an item
> > online using a credit card and if you check the box the delivery address
> > information you just entered will repeat or copy to the billing address
> > fields.  It would work sort of like that.  If the checkbox is checked then
> > the 7 fields included in the checkbox group would repeat or copy the data to
> > the next record.  If the checkbox is unchecked, then the fields in the next
> > record would all be blank.  Can anyone help me with this?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Kass

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Comparing records in 2 databases
I need to update an access database each day, with stock and price info, and then update it online. Is there a way to compare the before and after tables, and make a new table with only the changed records (only the changed fields!) plus the primary key? OR, does anyone know of a fairly inexpensive program that will do this? For Access 2k. Thanks! Tracking date record was created or updated, SQL Syntax --- It is a good idea to add these 2 fields to all your tables (except lookups). Let them be the last 2 fields. DateCreated, date, DefaultValue = Now() DateModified, date � set on...

collect data from mail merge
If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I collect the feedbacks from returned word file, and consolidate them in excel ? Can you give a little more information about what you are trying to do. Excel is a pretty powerful tool; almost certainly you can do what you want. Ryan--- -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "data collection" wrote: > If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I > collect the feedbacks from returned wo...

Data labels #9
My data labels in my bar chart don't look the same after printing as they do on the screen. I try to manually move them but they still don't look the same after printing. Any thoughts? Are they embedded charts or chart sheets? If you select an embedded chart and print it, it will print as a chart sheet, and there's likely to be a fair amount of distortion. When printing and embedded chart, print the worksheet it's on. When printing a chart sheet, uncheck the setting in Tools menu > Options > Charts for Chart Sizes to Window Frame. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Micr...

Field can not be updated....Why?
Dear All, Why does access send me below error message "! Field can not be updated " I type some value to my field but the error message appear,I have to click OK 4 times and then the value I type is typed.And this condition occur for the first typing only then others work normally.?Any guidance? I think this error occur cause I input the data into a child table,but although the relationship is deleted, the problem still exist.Why? I use access 2000 and my form type is continuous form. I plan it to become subform.Please help.Any assist would be greatly appreciated.Thank's...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Tab , setFocus doesn't hilite the text of the field
Hi, I have many fields that should be filled by the user. I added 2 more and I would like to change the tab order. I don't like using the numbers (after pressing Ctrl D, by clicking the fields I change the order) because I have too many fields and it takes time to do that. So I used the script, in each killFocus function I called setFocus function with the right field. The problem is that this function brings the cursor to the right field BUT it doesn't hilite the value in that field so in order to change this value I have first to hilite it. How can I hilite it by script? Th...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

CDaoTableDef
I'm developing an application that uses the MicroSoft Access Jet DB engine. This is being done using C++ in VS.net. I need to change the user's db when they use the new version of the program. In particular I need to change the length of a text field in a pre-existing db without loosing the user's data. When I wanted to add a new field I used CDaoTableDef and it worked fine, but I can't locate a method to just update an existing field's properties. Any Ideas on how this can be done?? Thanks, Neil Neil if you need to alter the attributes of a tabledef object, you ...

Copy picture ossice wizard

Log data in a shared workbook
Hi all Is it possible to have a spreadsheet which logs data from anothe without over writing each other's data, even though several colleague are inputting and saving in this shared sheet at different times. Eg. Sheet 1 has various data Sheet 2 - A1,2,3, etc = first save Sheet 3 - B1,2,3, etc = second save Etc. ...for the day Cheers Joe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Joey Would you consider writing to a CSV file? You could use VBA's text file functions to write directly to the file, but the file would still open in Excel. One advantage would be that...

create calculated field for age in pivot tables
I need to create a calculated field for Age from the birth date within a Pivot Table (Excel Office 2007). I can not create age in the data set because it is pulling directly from a data source. I tried just using the formula =INT((TODAY()- Birthday)/365.25) but received an error. Hi That won't work because you cannot use NOW() or TODAY() in PT Calculated fields or items. I think the only way you can do it (approximately) if you cannot add a field to your source data, would be to make a calculated field with the formula =2010-Year(Birthday) -- Regards Roger G...

subtotal copy and paste

Duplicate Record exist Error
We are in the process of moving some customizations to the production environment. We are now getting the below error when attempting to save an opportunity. "Duplicate Error: A record with these values already exist. A dupolicate record cannot be created. Select one or more unique values and try again." Any suggestions is greatly apprciated! Seemed to be an issue with some jscript. "MDV1457" wrote: > We are in the process of moving some customizations to the production > environment. We are now getting the below error when attempting to save an > opp...

Copying graphs

form creation
Hi everybody, I am new to this forum and new to Outlook as well. I have a questio that might be rather simple. I need to create a form where the user ca enter data in fields. There are some fields in that form that othe users need to fill out. for that, the form should be sent to thos users through Outlook )as an attachment?). I have no idea on how to proceed. So any help would be greatel appreciated. Thanks a lo ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Start at ht...

Copying Views

Comparing two columns of data and Highlighting the Differences
I have values (mix of text and numbers)in column A and B. Each cell value in column B is also in column A. I want to highlight (Change Fill color to Red) for example) all those cells in column A that are also present in the column B. Any help writting a Macro will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Harapa No macro needed. Select Column A's Data. Use Format/Conditional Formatting. Change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is" Assuming A1 is the active cell, enter this formula: =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$500,0))) click Format, click Patterns tab, select Red fill patte...

Designing a Contact form in OL03
If one designs a custom form for contacts in OL2003 and uses that form rather than the default form, will that limit the functionality of OL2003? Does anyone know one or more good websites to teach how to design a form in OL 2003? Limit? No, the purpose of customizing forms is adding functionality (although you can of course remove functionality as well) See http://www.outlookcode.com for more information about form design in Outlook. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New ...