Control Will Not Update

How do I get a control to update in a form without closing the form and
re-opening it?  It used to work fine before I converted the DB to 2007.
Basically, a user keys in an item number, and I would like the item
description control to populate after they move out of the item control
field.  The source for the form is a select query.  Any help would be
appreciated.

"DJM2290" <DJM2290@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get a control to update in a form without closing the form and
> re-opening it?  It used to work fine before I converted the DB to 2007.
> Basically, a user keys in an item number, and I would like the item
> description control to populate after they move out of the item control
> field.  The source for the form is a select query.  Any help would be
> appreciated.

The only thing that has change in this regard between Access 2003 (or
earlier) and Access 2007 is that VBA code doesn't run in Access 2007 unless
you explicitly enable it or put the database in a trusted location (as
established in the Trust Center settings).

Could that be the problem?  Is the description being set by VBA code?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
5/7/2010 6:39:23 PM
It is not set by VBA code...the control source for the "description" field is
just "SKU Desc" which is a field in the source query.

> It is not set by VBA code...the control source for the "description" field
> is
> just "SKU Desc" which is a field in the source query.

Please post the SQL of the form's recordsource, and the name, type, and
Control Source properties of each relevant control.  If a control is a combo
box, please also post its Row Source, Bound Column, and Column Count
properties.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
5/13/2010 4:35:38 PM
Below is the SQL from the source...the relevant controls are as follows..

Name: SKU #
Type:  Text Box
Countrol Source: SKU #

Name: SKU Description
Type:  Text Box
Countrol Source: SKU Desc

There is a combo box, but I don't think it is relevant to the problem.
Name: Ad Date
Control Source: Ad Date
Row Source: Ad Dates
Bound Column: 1
Column Count :1

SELECT [Ad Detail].[Ad Date], [Ad Detail].Division,
INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_DEPT AS Dept, INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_CLASS AS Class, [Ad
Detail].[SKU #], [Ad Detail].[Placeholder Dept], INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SM_DESC AS
[SKU Desc], [Ad Detail].[Placeholder Description], [Ad Detail].[Placeholder
Cost (per unit)], [Ad Detail].[Include for 12 Week Meeting (type Y if yes)],
INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SM_LAST_COST AS [Last Cost], [Ad Detail].Status, [Ad
Detail].[Current Retail], [Ad Detail].[Event Retail], [Ad Detail].[Comp
Retail], [Ad Detail].[# Stores], [Ad Detail].[Baseline Units], [Ad
Detail].[Unit Sales Forecast], [Ad Detail]![Event Retail]*[Ad Detail]![Unit
Sales Forecast] AS [Sales Forecast $], [Ad Detail].[Ad Prep], [Ad
Detail]![Unit Sales Forecast]/[Ad Detail]![Ad Prep] AS [Ad Sell Thru], [Ad
Detail].[Basis for Projection], [Ad Detail].Comments, ([Ad Detail]![Current
Retail]-[Ad Detail]![Event Retail])*[Ad Detail]![Unit Sales Forecast] AS
[Mkdn Forecast $]
FROM ([Ad Detail] LEFT JOIN INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR ON [Ad Detail].[SKU #] =
INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_SKU) LEFT JOIN INTREPIDD_DEPTTBL ON
INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_DEPT = INTREPIDD_DEPTTBL.SRS_DEPT
WHERE ((([Ad Detail].[Ad Date])=[Which Ad Date?  Format must be mmddyy]) AND
(([Ad Detail].Division)=[What Division?]))
ORDER BY [Ad Detail].[Ad Date], [Ad Detail].Division,
INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_DEPT, INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_CLASS, [Ad Detail].[SKU #];

> Below is the SQL from the source...the relevant controls are as follows..
>
> Name: SKU #
> Type:  Text Box
> Countrol Source: SKU #
>
> Name: SKU Description
> Type:  Text Box
> Countrol Source: SKU Desc
>
> There is a combo box, but I don't think it is relevant to the problem.
> Name: Ad Date
> Control Source: Ad Date
> Row Source: Ad Dates
> Bound Column: 1
> Column Count :1
>
> SELECT [Ad Detail].[Ad Date], [Ad Detail].Division,
> INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_DEPT AS Dept, INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_CLASS AS Class,
> [Ad
> Detail].[SKU #], [Ad Detail].[Placeholder Dept], INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SM_DESC
> AS
> [SKU Desc], [Ad Detail].[Placeholder Description], [Ad
> Detail].[Placeholder
> Cost (per unit)], [Ad Detail].[Include for 12 Week Meeting (type Y if
> yes)],
> INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SM_LAST_COST AS [Last Cost], [Ad Detail].Status, [Ad
> Detail].[Current Retail], [Ad Detail].[Event Retail], [Ad Detail].[Comp
> Retail], [Ad Detail].[# Stores], [Ad Detail].[Baseline Units], [Ad
> Detail].[Unit Sales Forecast], [Ad Detail]![Event Retail]*[Ad
> Detail]![Unit
> Sales Forecast] AS [Sales Forecast $], [Ad Detail].[Ad Prep], [Ad
> Detail]![Unit Sales Forecast]/[Ad Detail]![Ad Prep] AS [Ad Sell Thru], [Ad
> Detail].[Basis for Projection], [Ad Detail].Comments, ([Ad
> Detail]![Current
> Retail]-[Ad Detail]![Event Retail])*[Ad Detail]![Unit Sales Forecast] AS
> [Mkdn Forecast $]
> FROM ([Ad Detail] LEFT JOIN INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR ON [Ad Detail].[SKU #] =
> INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_SKU) LEFT JOIN INTREPIDD_DEPTTBL ON
> INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_DEPT = INTREPIDD_DEPTTBL.SRS_DEPT
> WHERE ((([Ad Detail].[Ad Date])=[Which Ad Date?  Format must be mmddyy])
> AND
> (([Ad Detail].Division)=[What Division?]))
> ORDER BY [Ad Detail].[Ad Date], [Ad Detail].Division,
> INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_DEPT, INTREPIDD_SKUMSTR.SRS_CLASS, [Ad Detail].[SKU
> #];

I'm puzzled.  I don't see any reason why that query wouldn't do the
"autolookup" that comes in so handy.  A test query that I made, which also
involves two left joins in a similar fashion, works fine in Access 2007;
likewise a form that I based on the query.

Would you be interested in sending me a copy of your database to look at?
If so, you can send it to the address derived by removing NO SPAM and
".invalid" from the reply address of this message.  If that address isn't
visible to you, you can get my address from my web site, which is listed in
my sig.  Do *not* post my real address in the newsgroup -- I don't want to
be buried in spam and viruses.  It would be best if you could make a
cut-down copy of the database, containing just the elements necessary to
demonstrate the problem, compact the copy, and and zip it for sending.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
5/13/2010 9:01:32 PM
Yes...it is strange.  It workd fine before I converted it to 2007.  Note that
the main table in the query is in a backend database which is still in an
older version of Access.  I have sent a trimmed down version of the database.

Thanks again.

"Dirk Goldgar" wrote:

> [...]
>

> I'm puzzled.  I don't see any reason why that query wouldn't do the
> "autolookup" that comes in so handy.  A test query that I made, which also
> involves two left joins in a similar fashion, works fine in Access 2007;
> likewise a form that I based on the query.
>
> Would you be interested in sending me a copy of your database to look at?
> If so, you can send it to the address derived by removing NO SPAM and
> ".invalid" from the reply address of this message.  If that address isn't
> visible to you, you can get my address from my web site, which is listed in
> my sig.  Do *not* post my real address in the newsgroup -- I don't want to
> be buried in spam and viruses.  It would be best if you could make a
> cut-down copy of the database, containing just the elements necessary to
> demonstrate the problem, compact the copy, and and zip it for sending.

why won't word 2007 release control of a .rtf file after exiting w
I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH ACCESS TO RICH TEXT FILES BY PROGRAMS OTHER THAN WORD------ AFTER THE FILE OPEN IN WORD IS CLOSED AND EVEN AFTER WORD HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN (EXITED) ---------- I GET THE ERROR MESSAGE THAT THE FILE IS "IN USE" BY WORD WHEN (FOR EXAMPLE) AN ATTEMPT IS MADE TO DELETE IT ---- SOMETIMES WHEN RE-OPENING THE FILE AFTER RE-STARTING WORD THE FILE CANNOT BE SAVED BECAUSE IT IS IN "READ ONLY" MODE ------- AFTER MUCH FIDDLING AROUND I FINALLY MANAGED TO DELETE THE PROBLEM FILE ONLY TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM RETURN WITH A DIFFERNT FILE ----- WORD 200...

Money 2003 adds financial desktop shortcuts when running Money Updates
Why does Money add desktop shortcuts to two (2) financial institutions while I'm running account updates w/ "Money Updates" selected? I would like to disable this feature (w/out turning off Money Updates)? Thanks, Roger In microsoft.public.money, Roger Beniot wrote: >Why does Money add desktop shortcuts to two (2) financial institutions >while I'm running account updates w/ "Money Updates" selected? > >I would like to disable this feature (w/out turning off Money Updates)? Check Tools->Options->General->TurnOffSponsorshipsAndShoppingLinks ...

bound control or inbound control
Hi Katherine, There are differences between using bound versus unbound controls. Where on the form do you want to use an unbound control? Jeanette Cunningham "Katherine" <Katherine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23BBC192-0A74-4B9F-9513-5E5923A76658@microsoft.com... > ...

RE: Control
Can some one point me right direction to achive this following. Need to dispaly a data in a table format. some of the column data may have to display a image/icon based on a value from the table (1 :- Red color icon, 2:-yellow color icon...) Once the data is loaded and displayed on the format , able to search particular row by column index and update the values including the images(change different image). I tried with Listview control, with the report view I am not able to search row and update the columns with the List vew I am not able to show the image/icon. do not want to use ...

MSCRM login and the Users Control Panel
Is anyone aware of any way that the settings stored under Control Panel - Users - Password Management might interfere with the process of Single Sign On into MSCRM? It seemed to have somehow cached someones login and prevented logging in as the logged in user, until cached credentials had been "deleted". However I have never seen this mentioned as being relevant. I am not too sure what the architecture model is there, but it appears to be a single domain. If this area has any relevance, it would be useful to know....thanks ...

updating macros
i have a few macros that i have made for a blank workbook, i want to keep the workbook as a template, so when i save it, i change the filename. now whenever i run the macros it comes up with that it needs to run the debugger. how do i automatically update the macros so they reference to the current filename? Failing that, is there an easier way to run it so that it activates the current file rather than it having to be named? i am using the following macro: Sub copyam() Workbooks.Open Filename:= _ "\\Alc-server\Users\Midshires\My Documents\Wages\Blank Sheets and Lists\Blank Wa...

Spam control - MS Outlook
Hi! I am using MS Outlook 2000 and use 2 profiles. I recently installed a firewall package (Fsecure = Telia S�ker Surf), including Spam control. After install, MSO hangs and I cannot change to the other profile (if I not removed MSO by ctrl/alt/del) Somebody want to comment this? /Sven-Erik Intergrated AV/Spam is the cause of frequent issues in Outlook Is the FSecure you installed compatible with this old version of Outlook? "Storfille" <storfille@ebrev.net> wrote in message news:b1Ixm.11987$U5.164765@newsb.telia.net... > Hi! > > I am using MS Outlook 200...

Updating info from a form with query
I have a form with a user entered default value, which I have moved to a called form. This form then is to update a table. The problem is that it only updates when I actually change the data myself. What action must I take programmably to have the table info entered? I had a button on the form which I have save the form, but it gives me a "The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't available now." I have even tried to set the focus to the controls which have the info to be saved to the table. Can anyone help? Thanks, Kurt -- learning by playing answered in &...

Releasing memory after creating OCX control
Hi, I try to create an instance of an activex control in my MFC dialog based app. Though my application works with out any error, if i check the memory after calling "delete pMyControl" it keeps on occupying the same memory it occupied when the control was alive. Could anyone help me where I am missing to clear the memory? Thank you. My Code here ---------------m_pxWmp= new CWMPPlayer4();if( m_pxWmp->Create("replay", WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | WS_VISIBLE , CRect(100, 100,320,240), this, 2)){ m_replay = true; m_pxWmp->SetUrl("C:\\video.avi"); m_pxWmp->Set...

Will not receive automatically
Outlook 2002 connects to Exchange 2000 server over the internet. Recently had an issue where the ISP blocked ports 135-139 to defend against Blaster virus. Because the ISP denied that they blocked the ports for several days I set up users as POP accounts temporarily. Now that the ISP has opend the ports, Exchange is able to flow, but now email will not automatically receive. We have to click on the Send\Receive button or anywhere else in Outlook to get the email. I can select an old email, then the new mail will come pouring in. No little notification envelope in the systray. I...

AD not updating Exchange
I have an Exchange 2000 server with 3 5.5 servers, all in the same organisation but in different sites. 2-way ADC has been configured and site connectors/replicators set up. The 5.5 servers aren't receiving address lists or mailbox info from the 2000 server, and the 2000 server is logging the following errors: MSExchangeSRS Event ID 109 The directory replication agent (DRA) attempted to open mail with name /o=ORG/ou=OU/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=SERVERNAME/cn=Microsoft DSA:SERVERNAME but received error 2147746077. Messages could not be sent. Make sure that the mail service on this M...

Adding a control variable
Hello all, Under VC++ 7.1, I've added a checkbox to a dialog. Using the dialog editor, I am not trying to add a control variable for this check box. However, when I right-click on the check box and select "Add Variable", the resulting wizard dialog does not allow me to select "Control Variable" (it is grayed out). What do I need to do to get a control variable for this check box added to my class? Thanks, Dave I've never seen that before - are you able to duplicate this problem with other projects too? -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "Dave" <bett...

Automatically updating
How can I get numbers in one column (ie Year-to-date) to automatically update when I add new numbers in another column (ie Month-to-date)? Hi do you have ...........A...........B...............C............M........N 1.......Item......Jan.............Feb..........Dec.....YTD if so the formula in N2 would be =SUM(B2:M2) or do you have .........A...........B..............C 1.....Item.......Mth Value...YTD Value if so the formula in C2 would be =B2+C2 but you'll have to choose tools / options / calculation and tick the Iterations box and set the maximum value to 1 Cheers JulieD "...

Access 2007: Record update timestamps
Hi all, I've been fighting with this one and can't find any information on it. I have a feeling it was easier to do this with Access 2003, but maybe not. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. In Access 2007, I have a form where if I edit any (or specific) fields I want it to stamp the current date and time in a separate field. So, for example: I have a "Notes" field. If I edit this field, I want it to stamp the time in a "DateModified" field at the bottom of the form. I have tried to use onDirty, AfterUpdate, BeforeUpdate with expressions as well as V...

stock control system
trying to see up a 'basic stock control sytem' for a warehouse that contains building materials. -- Thank you. You can use multiple ways of doing, there's 3 ways to come to m head... 1) Use a worksheet as database an save all the information on the cell of that worksheet using some macros to access it and handle. 2) You might want to use Access instead of Excel, I think would b easier to handle the database portion and you still have the Macro available. 3) You can use VB with an Access to create an application -- fanay ------------------------------------------------------...

what control can display characters from txt files in a dialog?
I want to read lines from txt files and display them on a dialog.I wonder which control can be put into the dialog to hold the characters from txt? Something like :- while(m_file.ReadString(tmpstr)) { str += tmpstr; } m_edit.SetWindowText(str); -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "liao_xf" <sclxf@sina.com> wrote in message news:001401c3652f$177b9830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Thanks first! > I know that Edit control can receive and edit input. > and I know the filestdio can read lines from txt. > but can you tell me how to attatch the lines to the edit? > Thanks!...

Uninstall Update Rollup 4
I need to uninstall update rollup 4 which the announcement says can be done, but there are no instructions for doing so. Can anyone point me in the direction of uninstall directions? thanks, Ken Compter wrote: > I need to uninstall update rollup 4 which the announcement says can be done, > but there are no instructions for doing so. Can anyone point me in the > direction of uninstall directions? > > thanks, Control Panel - Add/Remove programs Pete, found it. Thanks, "Ken Compter" wrote: > I need to uninstall update rollup 4 which the announcement s...

Creating dialog controls at run-time
I've been researching how to do this, but whenever I try what other people do, I get very bad results. But my challenge doesn't end there. The number of controls I want to create is only known at run-time. The problems I face are manifold: 1. The code most people use fails badly. Not only is the font unconventionally big, but when I click the checkbox I create, the whole dialog disappears. If that's not enough, the pointer to the control is NULL when the dialog's destructor is called, so I can't delete the instance, and get a memory leak message when the program ends: CADi...

MDI support in ATL composite control
Hi, I have components created in ATL. The components are ATL composite controls. Entire work has been done till now using ATL, however I now need to give MDI type of work area (based o doc-view architecture) within the control. I have class derived from CMDIFrameWnd. However when I try to initialize instance of this class by calling "Create" method of CFrameWnd (base class in CMDIFrameWnd), I get error and creation fails. Tracing the code, I found that base class create method calls "AfxGetInstanceHandle" to get handle to the DLL. Now since this is ATL Composite control, ...

Exchange 2003 will not deliver external mail to inboxes
I have an odd situation that I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction. I have one 2003 server. It is my main active directory server, DNS server, Web/FTP server AND Exchange 2003 server. I am just learning about 2003, Active directory, Exchange. I am not a newbie, but I am not too experienced with those things. Last week I got it up and running and everything seemed to be working great. I could send and receive e-mail internally and externally without any problems. Now, stuff is broke - and I don't know what it is. If I send e-mail internally, all is fine. If s...

View Filtering and Access Controls for Business Units
I am trying to implement MS-CRM for my company. We have multiple Business Units . I need to give views to each Business Units so that they see only their own Contacts/Accounts/Opp lists. How do I accomplish this ? Also, If I gave inter business unit acesses , how do I make sure that the one business unit users can not modify any fields on other's Business Unit's records ? Thanks in advance for any help, Kishore This is quite easy to do with CRM. Assuming you have already created your Business Units in CRM, you can view a security role within one of the Business Units and a...

How to enable "enable automatic update" security setting by VB cod
Hi All, I wanted to enable "enable automatic update for all workbook links" radio button through VB code (macro), As my current macro code gets link references from other excel workbook, so it is important to enable this setting by code itself. Default location of thatradio button is Excel Options-->Trust Centre-->Trust Center Settings-->External Content. ...

Tab Control Problems
I previously worked in VC++ 6.0, and have several applications that have either custom shadebox controls, or tab controls or group boxes. In all cases, when I moved the applications over to VS.NET 2003, everything was fine, except in the resource editor, I cannot see any of the controls that have been overlayed on a tab control, or a custom shadebox control and in some cases group boxes. I can tab to them and see the outline, but I cannot see the actual controls. If I drag a new control onto the tab control, I can see the control, but once it is saved, I can no longer access the cont...

Recommended sequence of DST update actions.
The Support Article: Preparing for Daylight Saving Time changes in 2007 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/gp/dst_topissues States that you should: Apply Updates to the Windows Servers (931836) Apply Updates to the Individaul Workstations (931836) Apply the Exchagne Server DST Update. (926666) Then Run the Exchange Calendar Update Tool (930879) but when you look at the KB930879 How to address daylight saving time by using the Exchange Calendar Update Tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930879 It says you should apply the Exchagne DST Update (926666) after you run the Exchange Cal...

FindRecord Control Button
i built a find record control button so a user can type in the form number and go there but it only searches the field that the cursor is in and the form # is not on the tab order(purposely). How can i specify where the find record function searches? thanks Ryan, usually people use an unbound combo box or an unbound text box for searching. There is a sample download with code of a search form at http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html If you need help to get it working, post back. You can also use the wizard to put a combo for searching on your form. On the form in design view, click the...