Confusion with forms and related subforms

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the concept of embedding subforms into main forms.
I have main tables, 4 junction tables, and a few look-up tables (not all
look-ups are listed below).  If I'm reading it correctly, the junction tables
which relate to the main tables should be in the form of a subform placed
within the main form they relate to?  I'm lost on the fact that I believe I
have a subform which appears should be on another subform which should then
be on a form.  If this is correct, the form looks extremely busy and not user
friendly, and just plain incorrect.  Is it true, based on the relationships,
that the PK and FK on the related tables should be joined between the subform
and main form?

These are the tables I have:

TblIncident
IncidentnumberID (PK)
misc. fields

TblSuspect
SuspectID (PK)
misc. fields

TblOfficer
OfficerBadgeNumberID (PK)
OfficerLastName
OfficerFirstName

TblIncidentOfficer
IncidentOfficerID (PK)
IncidentNumberID (FK)
OfficerBadgeNumberID (FK)

TblIncidentSuspect
IncidentSuspectID (PK)
IncidentNumberID (FK)
SuspectID (FK)

TblIncidentSuspectCharges
IncidentSuspectChargesID (PK)
IncidentSuspectID (FK)
ChargesID (FK)

TblForceUsed
ForceUsedID (PK)
OfficerBadgeNumber (FK)
TypeofForceID (FK)

TblCharges
ChargesID (PK)
Charges

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Lee Ann -

A subform is used to help show the 'many' side of a one-to-many
relationship.  For many databases, this is a straight-forward relationship.
It gets more complicated with the many-to-many relationships such as those in
your database.  While the theory still holds, you have to adjust it to your
needs.

For example, you might want to show suspects with all their incidents.   The
suspect table would be the recordsource for the main form, and Incident
information would be used in the subform.   This Incident information would
normally be a query based on the IncidentSuspect table joined to the Incident
table.

You could also show Officers on a main form with Incidents on a subform this
way, and many other one-to-many relationships.

I have a feeling you want to show everything about an incident on one form.
In that case, the Incident table would be used for the main form, and you may
have several subforms - one for the officers, one for the suspects.  The
suspect subform would probably have a recordsource of a query based on
TblIncidentSuspect joined with TblSuspect, and would be linked to the main
form through the IncidentNumberID.   This suspect main form may include a
subform of its own to show the charges against the suspects.  This
sub-subform would probably have as its record source a query that joins the
tblCharges to the tblIncidentSuspectCharges, and would be linked to the
IncidentSuspect subform based on the IncidentSuspectID field.  Similarly, the
Officer subform might have a subform of it's own to show the Force Used.
This data would come from a query based on the the TblForceUsed joined to the
TypeOfForce table.  Trying to do this will point out that you need to change
your TblForceUsed table - instead of OfficerBadgeNumber, you need the
IncidentOfficerID as the foreign key.

Hope that helps!

--
Daryl S

"Lee Ann" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to figure out the concept of embedding subforms into main forms.
> I have main tables, 4 junction tables, and a few look-up tables (not all
> look-ups are listed below).  If I'm reading it correctly, the junction tables
> which relate to the main tables should be in the form of a subform placed
> within the main form they relate to?  I'm lost on the fact that I believe I
> have a subform which appears should be on another subform which should then
> be on a form.  If this is correct, the form looks extremely busy and not user
> friendly, and just plain incorrect.  Is it true, based on the relationships,
> that the PK and FK on the related tables should be joined between the subform
> and main form?
>
> These are the tables I have:
>
> TblIncident
> IncidentnumberID (PK)
> misc. fields
>
> TblSuspect
> SuspectID (PK)
> misc. fields
>
> TblOfficer
> OfficerBadgeNumberID (PK)
> OfficerLastName
> OfficerFirstName
>
> TblIncidentOfficer
> IncidentOfficerID (PK)
> IncidentNumberID (FK)
> OfficerBadgeNumberID (FK)
>
> TblIncidentSuspect
> IncidentSuspectID (PK)
> IncidentNumberID (FK)
> SuspectID (FK)
>
> TblIncidentSuspectCharges
> IncidentSuspectChargesID (PK)
> IncidentSuspectID (FK)
> ChargesID (FK)
>
> TblForceUsed
> ForceUsedID (PK)
> OfficerBadgeNumber (FK)
> TypeofForceID (FK)
>
> TblCharges
> ChargesID (PK)
> Charges
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thanks for the quick response - regarding the point you bring up reference
the officerbadgenumber in the forceused table, I had posted my table design a
couple weeks ago and based on the fact that there could be more than one
officer involved, sometimes using more than one type of force, the tables
were set up that way.  Hopefully that is correct for that scenario.

Your reply makes me wonder if I'm looking at the forms incorrectly.  When
needed, I expect each of these fields to be used (i.e., there will never be
an incident where no officer is involved, no suspect, no type of force,
etc.).  I guess that's why I'm looking at putting everything on a form for
the user to input the data.  With your second paragraph, it would seem most
forms/subforms are done for people to "view" the data already in the records.

Your advice is appreciated and I'll give it a shot.

"Daryl S" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "Lee Ann" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out the concept of embedding subforms into main forms.
> > I have main tables, 4 junction tables, and a few look-up tables (not all
> > look-ups are listed below).  If I'm reading it correctly, the junction tables
> > which relate to the main tables should be in the form of a subform placed
> > within the main form they relate to?  I'm lost on the fact that I believe I
> > have a subform which appears should be on another subform which should then
> > be on a form.  If this is correct, the form looks extremely busy and not user
> > friendly, and just plain incorrect.  Is it true, based on the relationships,
> > that the PK and FK on the related tables should be joined between the subform

I think the table does need updating, as it tells what type of force was
used by what officer, but it doesn't indicate which incident this is for.
You could add the IncidentNumberID to this table as a foreign key if you
don't want to switch the OfficerBadgeNumber to the IncidentOfficerID.  If you
don't do one of these, then when you pull up an Officer, then through his
OfficerBadgeNumber you can find all the types of force used, but you won't be
able to say which force was used in which incident.

As for your other question, for simple relationships you can use the same
forms for data entry and for viewing.  You can change form properties to
allow the form only for adding new records in one case and for only viewing
results in another.  The fact that a query is the recordsource instead of a
table does not change the ability to add, delete, or update records in
itself, but some queries will not allow adds or updates, for example to the
'one' side of a one-to-many relationship.  This makes sense from a data
integrity standpoint.

In your complex case, you will need to make some adjustments to straight
data-entry of all the data.  Normally, from the Incident point of view, you
would want to add a new incident on the main form, and after it is saved, you
would want to add the officers and suspects to the incident.  Normally, you
would do this in the Officer and Suspect subforms.  You would select each
officer from a drop-list based on TblOfficer,each a new record in the
subform.  Similarly, you would select each suspect from a drop-list based on
TblSuspect in the Suspect subform.  If the suspect drop-list does not contain
the suspect (because this is a new suspect), then you would want to pop up a
form to fill out the new suspect's information.  This would update the table
TblSuspect and when done, it could place the new suspect onto the Suspect
subform on the Incident form.

Remember that each Officer you entered now needs one or more records added
to TblForceUsed, and each IncidentSuspect that you added needs one or more
records added to TblIncidentSuspectCharges.  This is where the sub-subforms
come in...

I hope that helps!

--
Daryl S

"Lee Ann" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Hope that helps!
> >
> > --
> > Daryl S
> >

> > "Lee Ann" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to figure out the concept of embedding subforms into main forms.
> > > I have main tables, 4 junction tables, and a few look-up tables (not all
> > > look-ups are listed below).  If I'm reading it correctly, the junction tables
> > > which relate to the main tables should be in the form of a subform placed
> > > within the main form they relate to?  I'm lost on the fact that I believe I
> > > have a subform which appears should be on another subform which should then
> > > be on a form.  If this is correct, the form looks extremely busy and not user
> > > friendly, and just plain incorrect.  Is it true, based on the relationships,
> > > that the PK and FK on the related tables should be joined between the subform

i am so confused
As of day before yesterday, i was recieving and sending mail like i should, but now it says my username and/or password are inncorrect, and they are stored in the com, and my phone. i retyped them, and it says the same thing??? i just tried again, and it said the following: The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'hi', Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com (1)', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Pleas help.... anyone!!!!! i am lost without my e-mail!! Your settings look ...

sizing forms; STAY !
I have ,sadly, a customer who really cares about the size of the forms - and worse , cares about extra "gray area" after the last fields are shown I've tried me.width = #### and I tried setting it in properties. and I've tried dragging it larger. Nothing works - the form goes back to what it want to be - Any way to make a form stay the size its told ? On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:55:59 -0400, barret bonden wrote: > I have ,sadly, a customer who really cares about the size of the forms - > and worse , cares about extra "gray area" after the last > f...

Switchboards and Forms
I have created a switchboard which calls up several forms. When I click on the button it brings up the form but the switch stays where it is on top of the new form. How do I get the switchboard to get out of the way automatically? Then, Once I have done with the form I have a button that closes that form but it doesnt bring the switchboard back up. How do you get the closing form to hand control back to the switchboard? Open the switchboard form in design view and bring up its properties. Go to the Other tab and make sure that both Pop Up and Modal are set to No. To force the issue, yo...

Form flashing
Hi- I have two forms. One is a datasheet view, the other a single form view, of pretty much the same data. When a user double-clicks a field in the datasheet view, the idea is that it will go to the single form with tabs, allowing the user to see all the data in a much more user friendly display. However, the first time I click on the field, the form flashes continuously until I CTRL+ALT+DEL to start the Windows Task manager to break the process. Once I do this, everytime after, I don't experience the problem. I tried inserting Debug.Print statements to find out where...

Data Forms #2
Hi, I'm using a data form to input details about new customers into a system in excel 2000, but when i protect the sheet it will not allow me to enter any new customers. I have already tried unselecting the tick box for the 'contents' when it gives me the options what to protect, but i want to protect the other data from being changed as well. Any Ideas? Cheers, Andy Each cell can be locked or unlocked. And a worksheet can be protected or unprotected. So if you want to allow the user to make changes to certain cells, you can unlock those cells and then protect the sheet. ...

Problem with sizing Sub Forms on tabbed forms
Hi, I have an existing application that was designed with several seperate forms. They now want to convert that to a tabbed interface. I have sized the forms uniformly such that they all fit the tabbed control pages. When I load them onto the tabbed pages though they all show differently. Some show large white margins on the bottom but do not show the whole form. Others show similar effects on the right side. Am I missing some magic setting?? Thanks Frustrated The subform is sitting in a holder. You want to re-size the holder, not the subform. Go out to the edge ...

Cannot print the PO Form
We are using GP10. For some users, they don't need the PO transaction function, they just need to do PO inquiry and print the PO Form. I created a new role for them and assigned relative tasks to the role. Users still cannot print the PO Form and get an error message, "You don't have access to this document type". Please let me know they need which task to print the PO Form. Thanks for your attentin and help. Samuel Hi Stien, Please ensure you've provided the task ID e.g TRX_PURCH_002* with document acess to any combination of the following: Standard ...

W2 Form Printing
Is there a new W2 form that I can download that fixes the 2007 W2? Hi Dan - we just went in to report writer and moved the social security number. It worked fine. "Dan white" wrote: > Is there a new W2 form that I can download that fixes the 2007 W2? ...

Open Entry Form to existing data
Hi, I have an entry form - I would like to be able to put in the ID and Date and have the form showing the data for that. Currently it's on open to Edit form - and shows the first record - I would like to be able to type in the IDNO in the IDNo Text Box and enter the date and it will show the corresponding data, thus it should also load to a blank form. Thanks Leave the form in edit mode, so that it loads all records. Set the form's On Load property to: [Event Procedure] Then click the button button (...) beside the property. Access opens the code window. Set up the code like ...

Hyperlink on Form
Hello, I have a list of hyperlinks in a continious subform. The link has this code Private Sub Link_Click() Application.FollowHyperlink Me.Link End Sub Link: Format("view#ftp://XXX:XXXX@XX.XXX.XXX.XXX/spot/" & [Link] & ".wmv") I have view# as my display text as and when I click on the link I get a runtime error 490 cannot open the specified file. But, when I click END it goes to the link. Am I missing something? Thanks simplymidori, If the textbox called Link has the full path and file name, using Application.FollowHyperlink Me.Link should open th...

CListCtrl confusion
I am confused about the meaning of selected (LVIS_SELECTED) and focused (LVIS_FOCUSED). What is the difference? The above can be set/read with Set/GetItemState(). The there is also GetSelectionMark() and its set. When you get the selection mark, is this the one that is selected? Or does it mean something else? What I am able to do is click on a row and then execute my method, doit(). Now I want to simply use the up and down arrow keys to move the selection and focus up and down the list, each time calling doit() for the new row. The problem I am running into is that I get recursive calls to...

Form with sub-form, both visible in design view
I haven't been able to create a form/sub-form, both visible. Must be doing something wrong. Is there more than one way to do this? Or is there only one way that does what I want? ed On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:17:58 -0500, "OldManEd" <econgleton@snet.net> wrote: >I haven't been able to create a form/sub-form, both visible. Must be doing >something wrong. Well, you certainly are; that should be perfectly straightforward. >Is there more than one way to do this? Or is there only one way that does >what I want? I can think of three or four ways to put a...

Organisation Forms
Apologies if this is the incorrect group to post this to. If not, please advise as to the preferred one etc. Using Exchange 2003, Outlook 2000, XP etc. We have a form within our 'Organisational Forms' which requires editing. I've done the changes and saved the form but am a bit stumped as to what to do next. How do I get the 'new' form displayed within the users Outlook. Hope that makes sense. Regards Hi Wozzer, have a look on this site for further information: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/formpub.htm (Publicshing a Form) http://www.outlookcode.com/d/forms.htm (G...

unbound forms
I have a form that has a recordsource based on a query I typed in and I have all the controls on the form unbound. I believe with a bound control it keeps a link to the database so there is a lot of communication between form and database right? With an unbound form does the recordsource "download" a recordset that the form then walks through? So if I add a next button to the form, when next is clicked does the form requery the database or does it get the data from the recordset? I am working in access 2007 and right now the database is split with the backend stil...

(more!) elementFormDefault confusion
Hi all, From what I can read, it doesn't look like I'm the only one getting confused with the elementFormDefault and attributeFormDefault properties of XML schemas. I am wanting to get a full understanding of these properties, as I want to be able to generate XML that conforms to these settings via the XmlTextWriter. The two main reference articles I can find are: http://geekswithblogs.net/dmillard/archive/2004/10/20/12935.aspx http://blogs.msdn.com/ebattalio/archive/2006/03/03/543154.aspx However, I have a couple of questions regarding this: 1. In Minty Fresh's example, w...

Confused on syntax
Hello, I confused over the following syntax. Could someone please explain to me exactly what is happening here. ((CEditView*)m_viewList.GetHead())->SetWindowText(NULL); I understand the casted type to the m_viewList.GetHead( ) function, but the ->SetWindowText call on the end is what I've never seen done like this? Is somehow the return pointer from GetHead pointing to the SetWindowText function ? But why would this be? Could not SetWindowText just be called on it's own ? On 3 jul, 13:01, "RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote: > Hello, I confused over the following...

How to a bound textbox on a form grow
Hi all, I have a bound textbox on a form and the control may contain large number of chars from a table. My method is to set its Can Grow property, but it doesn't work. How can I handle it? Clara thank you so much for your help CanGrow is only avaiable in Reports, not on Forms! Sorry! One way to handle large amounts of data in a textbox is to use the ZoomBox. This code "expands" the textbox when you double-click on it: Private Sub YourTextBoxName_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdZoomBox End Sub You can also use it to enter a large amount of data wi...

To insert a picture in a form
I inserted a picture in GIF format in a form. The picture is animated GIF file. But, the animation does not works in the form? How can i make the animation work in the form? Hi, Ivan F Moala has a workbook describing a method here http://www.xcelfiles.com/Excel04.html#anchor_59 -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Subodh" wrote: > I inserted a picture in GIF format in a form. The picture is animated > GIF file. But, the ani...

Query criteria set by unbound form textboxes
Since I distribute a runtime mde to my users, I can't allow them to set query parameters on their own. I have created an unbound form: frmCriteria with several text boxes: txtCriteria1, txtCriteria2, txtCriteria3. Users need to be able to select records with this type of selection criteria: "If fieldFruit contains apple OR grape OR pear" then select the record. I successfully accomplished this with the query fieldFruit criteria containing this formula: Like "*" & [Forms]![frmCriteria]![txtCriteria1] & "*" Or _ Like "*&qu...

Still confused on whether this will work
Hi, I hope you can help with my question, and thanks in advance! In my use of MSMoney Plus Premium, I do bill payer through a bank directly (Wachovia) and download transactions directly using my web site passwords directly to those sites (T Rowe Price, Wachovia, Am Express for example). I am thinking this will still work after Feb 2011 (and my license goes that long), that I will still be able to get transactions automatically downloaded daily like I do now, and I can use the bank for billpayer through MSMoney? So the only thing I will lose is the stock price updates as they come fr...

Find 2 highest point to form resistance line
Dear expert, Have left a post for finding 2 lowest point for form a support line. Now, would like to find 2 highest point to form a resistance line. Data is from an array for formula. In this case, should choose 91.27 and 87.96 to form resistance line. Although 89.95 is higher than 87.96, line is forward plotting. Is it possible? If the highest in last row, can show "No line". Thanks 52.35 26-Jan-10 59.87 18-Feb-10 89.95 26-Feb-10 85.41 05-Mar-10 91.27 10-Mar-10 87.96 23-Mar-10 36.69 29-Mar-10 I put your data in A1:B5 In E1 I find the maximum with =MAX(...

Form Based Auth.
Hi All, I have checked the option to use form based authentication but I don't get the web page login - still the pop up login box. I have restarted IIS. This is all internal at the moment till i get the forms working. Any ideas. Regards Joe. Do you have "require SSL" checked on the Exchange (and Public) virtual directories in IIS? Have you tried going to the https:// site manually? Forms-based auth only works with SSL. If you haven't required SSL and you go to the http page, it will still work just fine and will pop up the login box. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP ...

IF in a forms ON Load event...
Hi All... I use a popup form to copy text from textfield from an open form.. I want to use this code If Forms.[Fruitsbasket].[Fruits] = "Yellow" Then Me.[Fruittype] = "1st_Banana" End If I want to use five If's..but for some reason..it does not fire the first line of IF code...why is that? Thanks! Peter wrote: > Hi All... > > I use a popup form to copy text from textfield from an open form.. > > I want to use this code > > If Forms.[Fruitsbasket].[Fruits] = "Yellow" Then > Me.[Fruittype] = "1st_Banana...

Opening a form
Dear Sirs How can I do, if I click to open a database, that immidiately my main Form is opening. Thanks Klaus On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:07:05 -0800, Amateur wrote: > Dear Sirs > > How can I do, if I click to open a database, that immidiately my main Form > is opening. > > Thanks > Klaus Do you wish this for to always open when the database is first opened? Click on Tools + StartUp Set the Display Form/Page drop-down to the name of the form you wish to open. -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail ...

Confused
I am using a shared computer at work. I have access help to resolve a simple problem and the answer is there. The big problem is that options it describes are not there for example how to set-up a signature some option names are not there and options it says should be available are different. Can someone help ?????? With the amount of missing information that you posted, probably not until the crystal ball has a nice vacation to rest up from overuse here. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus na...