Combo Box Adding Button to edit list items

I have a form which is designed to enter information about jobs we have
completed.  It has 3 combo boxes for different types of contacts that are
pulled from different tables.  I want the user to be able to select from the
list or add a new contact.  I know they can right click on the drop down
arrow for the combo box and select "Edit List Items" but I really would like
to add a button next to each combo box that gives them that option.  I have
tried creating a button next to it that opens up the form for the contact and
then a button on that newly opened form to save and close. However, the new
contact does not show up in the original job form unless I close out of that
and reopen it.

0
JB10

Also wondering if after the new list item is added, is there a way to avoid
having to select it from the list.  Can it automatically be selected after
adding it?

JB10 wrote:
>I have a form which is designed to enter information about jobs we have
>completed.  It has 3 combo boxes for different types of contacts that are
>pulled from different tables.  I want the user to be able to select from the
>list or add a new contact.  I know they can right click on the drop down
>arrow for the combo box and select "Edit List Items" but I really would like
>to add a button next to each combo box that gives them that option.  I have
>tried creating a button next to it that opens up the form for the contact and
>then a button on that newly opened form to save and close. However, the new
>contact does not show up in the original job form unless I close out of that
>and reopen it.

0
JB10
6/2/2010 4:09:34 PM
i  believe it best to requery the combo box on the close event of the form
the user adds the contact to.

Sub Form_Close()
Forms![Form_name]![Combo1].Requery
End Sub

"JB10" wrote:

> I have a form which is designed to enter information about jobs we have
> completed.  It has 3 combo boxes for different types of contacts that are
> pulled from different tables.  I want the user to be able to select from the
> list or add a new contact.  I know they can right click on the drop down
> arrow for the combo box and select "Edit List Items" but I really would like
> to add a button next to each combo box that gives them that option.  I have
> tried creating a button next to it that opens up the form for the contact and
> then a button on that newly opened form to save and close. However, the new
> contact does not show up in the original job form unless I close out of that
> and reopen it.
>
> .

Have you looked into using the NotInList event and the LimitToList property?
That would do away with having to add a button and force the user to click
anything...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"JB10" <u60538@uwe> wrote in message news:a8ee7d696b7e8@uwe...
>I have a form which is designed to enter information about jobs we have
> completed.  It has 3 combo boxes for different types of contacts that are
> pulled from different tables.  I want the user to be able to select from
> the
> list or add a new contact.  I know they can right click on the drop down
> arrow for the combo box and select "Edit List Items" but I really would
> like
> to add a button next to each combo box that gives them that option.  I
> have
> tried creating a button next to it that opens up the form for the contact
> and
> then a button on that newly opened form to save and close. However, the
> new
> contact does not show up in the original job form unless I close out of
> that
> and reopen it.

0
Jeff
6/2/2010 8:58:51 PM
JB10 wrote:
>I have a form which is designed to enter information about jobs we have
>completed.  It has 3 combo boxes for different types of contacts that are
>pulled from different tables.  I want the user to be able to select from the
>list or add a new contact.  I know they can right click on the drop down
>arrow for the combo box and select "Edit List Items" but I really would like
>to add a button next to each combo box that gives them that option.  I have
>tried creating a button next to it that opens up the form for the contact and
>then a button on that newly opened form to save and close. However, the new
>contact does not show up in the original job form unless I close out of that
>and reopen it.

"It has 3 combo boxes for different types of contacts that are
pulled from different tables"
Ouch.  Not usually a good plan of attack.  Can't you subclass the people if
you need to? (Add some 1-1 tables).  How do you figure out which table to get
the contact from?  Even if you are storing radically different information
about each type of person, you could still use the 1-1 approach.  See Rebecca
Riordan's article on Access Web for details.  www.mvps.org/access

PieterLinden
6/3/2010 3:39:51 AM
This is not exactly what you were asking about, but here is a way to add a
new item to the list using the Not In List event (the combo box Limit to List
property is set to Yes):

http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm

JB10 wrote:
>Also wondering if after the new list item is added, is there a way to avoid
>having to select it from the list.  Can it automatically be selected after
>adding it?
>
>>I have a form which is designed to enter information about jobs we have
>>completed.  It has 3 combo boxes for different types of contacts that are
>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>>contact does not show up in the original job form unless I close out of that
>>and reopen it.

BruceM

Advanced Find error when adding revenue column
We are using CRM 4.0 and would like to find all contacts who have parent accounts with a lifetime revenue over $50,000. The query runs great until we add the Lifetime Revenue column to display in the results. This is where we get the error. This is a hard error and can be created by using the case entity as well and linking to the customer. As soon as you add the Lifetime Revenue to the results view you get the error also. It is throwing an application error on the CRM server. Does anybody else get this error? Thanks, -- Don Meyer Double-Take Software On 19.08.2009 15:15, Don Meyer ...

List box
I am trying to use the list box function from the control toolbar. I am not sure how to get the listings I want in the list box. Is there certain VB coding that is needed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd No VBA code needed. In Design mode, click on your list box and select Properties from the Control toolbox (or right-click your list box and select Properties), then scroll down to the ListFillRange Property and indicate the cell range address that has the items you want to appear in the box (i.e., A1:A10). Then exit out of design mode and test your list box. MRO "Tod...

Where can I view email voting buttons tracking in Outlook 2007
Outlook 2003 used to have a tracking tab on the sent email which included all recipients voting reponses in one place. I can not find this tracking tab/section on Outlook 2007 you should have a tracking button on the open sent item - left side of the ribbon, in the area where the Send button was. You won't see it until there is something to track. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly...

Item Cost Change to incorrect figures without prompting
Microsoft 2005, RMS 1.3 - After doing some database cleaning and inputing correct item costs, I sent worksheets from HQ to all stores of the new correct cost. Pushed them through HQ Client, and checked to see if they changed in the stores. Affirmative. One week later, I noticed the item cost had changed to some weird figure on every single item cost change I had made and then others I had not touched. I went through my list and changed them once again in HQ, sent the proper worksheets, pushed the worksheets thru, and the changes were made. A few days later, the item costs changed a...

how do i view different mail boxes
I have set up different email accounts in outlook 2000. How do I choose which mail box I view when I go to outlook? btoonhoule <btoonhoule@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have set up different email accounts in outlook 2000. How do I > choose which mail box I view when I go to outlook? Using IMO or C/W mode? -- Brian Tillman ...

Concatenate Multi-Select List Box Items
I need to use the chosen items in a multi-select List Box as concatenated text in another control on a subform. This text will be part of a large amount of concatenated text. How do I do this? I did find info here about using such items in a query but it was way over my head and I couldn't figure out how to convert that idea to this issue so please don't just refer me to that w/o some other explanation for this novice. For example, if the user selects: Frt Bumper, Grille, & Headlamp in the List Box, I want to then somehow concatenate those selections into a sente...

Mouse button down
How can I handle WM_LBUTTONDOWN when the user press and hold the mouse button on one of the command buttons in a dialog box? Thanks. AJ wrote: > How can I handle WM_LBUTTONDOWN when the user press and > hold the mouse button on one of the command buttons in a > dialog box? Thanks. All messages that normally go to a button can be handled by deriving your own class from CButton and using the Wizard/IDE to create a control member variable of your class. Then your class's message map can catch the messages. Your handler should call CButton::OnLButtonDown to pass the messag...

Filtering a combo box using a combo box
All, I am trying to filter the records from a table displayed in a combo box using a combo box on the same form. I built a query and set the criteria as Me![FormName]![Combo_box]. This allowed me to filter the list, but it did not do exactly what I wanted. When the first combo box is blank, the second one is also blank. Is there anyway I can get the second combo box to display all of the records when the first box is blank? Thank you for your help. Regards, John Try a criteria in the second combo of: Like Forms!YourFormName!Combo1Name & "*" -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http:/...

How to prevent list item selection
I'm having one of those blond moments (no offense to any blonds). I have a simple list box to display information. I want to immediately unselect any item that is selected. None of the obvious items I've tried worked. Any suggestions? Set the value to -1 "Robert Flanagan" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:%23wM31jHeKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'm having one of those blond moments (no offense to any blonds). I have > a simple list box to display information. I want to immediately unselect > any item that is sel...

Adding tabs to a form
Hi all! What happens if I add a lot of new tabs to a form, say the Incident form? Will there be a kind of slide bar or something when I deploy the customization, in order to reach the tabs at the most right? Is there a limit in the number of tabs we can add to a form? Thanks in advance! Mathieu. Mathieu, There is a limit of 8 tabs. During my testing, I did not see a scroll bar for the tabs appear. Looks like you need some brevity with tab names... HTH, Dave ------------------------------------------------- David L. Carr, President Visionary Software Consulting, Inc. Main #: 971-3...

colour change of dated box

Combo Box on Forms
Hi, I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being Other. If the user selects other I want them to be able to input what they want so that it will go into the table instead of just the "Other". I just am not really sure on how to do that. Can you help? Thanks, Jaime In design view click on VIEW - Properties and the the combo. Then change Limit To List to No. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "jseger22@yahoo.com" wrote: > Hi, > > I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being > Other. If the use...

sent box
how do i get the emails in the sent box to show sent to instead of sent from? -- deb deb wrote: > how do i get the emails in the sent box to show sent to instead of sent from? Add/remove whatever columns you want. Right-click on the header row and select Field Chooser. i may have not explained myself too well i dont want to sort by the "to" column i want the header on the email to show "to" not "from" i think the problem might be that this is not the default sent file, its just a folder named "sent" its for my boss, he ha...

Eject (button and command) fails on both optical drives (CD & DVD) under XP. Works fine under Linux and pre XP starting
Both my drives (G: & H:) are fine and work perfectly once disks are loaded but I can no longer change disks while operating XP. I have to re-start XP and change the disks before XP starts.. They work perfectly under Linux (Mint8) although that is no longer installed and I've recently tested using the LIVE CD I've today disabled all start-up programs, re-booted and killed some processes that might be causing a problem but to no avail.. This has been happening for at least six months so I suspect some update at some has caused the problem.. The machine is fully up ...

Combo Boxes
Someone sent me an Excel document where each of the cells in I1:I312 are combo boxes. When you click off of those cells, the down arrow disappears. The list for the combo boxes are cells AA1 and AB1 (AA1 is New and AB1 is Existing). Please explain how this was done? Also, can you please tell me if it is possible to make New and Existing autocorrect entries. So even though the choices are New and Existing, if you hit N, New appears, and if you hit E, Existing appears. Thanks!! It sounds like Data|Validation. Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVa...

Separator in combo box
hi, Is it possible to have a line separator in a combo box? I mean something like a separator in menus? thanks, Behzad Try :- http://www.codeproject.com/combobox/zsepcmb.asp http://www.codeproject.com/combobox/customcombo.asp -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com /* MVP tips tricks and essays web site */ http://blog.voidnish.com /* My blog on C++/CLI, MFC, Whidbey, CLR... */ "behzad" <b@b.com> wrote in message news:%23fVB3em5EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > hi, > Is it possible to have a line separator in a combo box? I mean something > like...

Expense Item not in Budget View
Does anyone know how I can view transactions that have been entered but are not currently in my budget. The only budget views I can find are the actual budget and the budget vs spending report, but no where to view transactions that I need to put into the budget. You could let autobudget decide for you, although you might want to review it's suggestions before you do so. This is under the 'expenses' part of the budget. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny or http://money.mvps.org/faq ...

Edit box should support languages like japanese,chineese etc
Hi wht im trying to ask is.. 1. In my application, all the labels r in english only. 2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese language , [Text box value is the title for another dialog] 4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in japanese or chineese language. Note: I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire application.. so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit --text boxes.. Plz reply They do. You have to be in a Unicode app, and you have to have selected a Unicode font that has Chin...

Text boxes on graphs
How do you make a text box hide the grid lines behind it on a graph? The grid lines are still visible and run through the text box, cluttering it up. Thanks right-click text box choose -- 'Format Text Box' from shortcut menu colors and lines tab change fill color to white Warm Regards, Crystal remote programming and training Access Basics 8-part free tutorial that covers essentials in Access http://www.AccessMVP.com/strive4peace * (: have an awesome day :) * Drew wrote: > How do you make a text box hide the grid lines behind it on a graph? The > grid line...

Outlook 2003 freezing when clicking on TO button
Problem Application: Outlook 2003 (Office 2003 Professional Enterprise) OS: Windows XP Pro Enterprise SP1a Exchange: Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP1 Outlook freezing/hanging when I click the "TO", "CC", and "BCC" button to access the address book. I can receive emails, reply to emails, send emails (manually typing the address or via cached address) without any problems. I can open the address book without any problems. I get no error, but have to use the task manager to close Outlook. I can restart Outlook just fine, but still have the same problem. T...

Multiple Combo Boxes Highlighted
Hi, I have a problem with something in VB6. I have 4 combo boxes with individual names (not an array) located on an SSTab object. When I select another tab and then return to the tab these boxes are located on, each of them appears to be highlighted in blue. I add values to them only when loading the form so I'm at a loss as to why this happens ? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jen. "Jennifer Ward" <jward@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eq5HrcBrKHA.6064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a problem with someth...

HELP !! Combo box to feed other combo boxes
Hi, I have a form with a stock list. One field is [Dealer Allocated] so stock can be allocated to a specific dealer - this is a combo box (combo1) for single allocations. I now also want to be able to update this combo box for several records in bulk. I thought I would do this by having a second combo box in the footer of the form which the user selects the dealer from and then clicks a button which looks for first record without dealer allocated and updates the value of combo1 to the value of combo2. This would then be enclosed in a Do Loop for specified number of records. I can...

Edit Field
I often record a macro to repeat often-used keystrokes, but today I found a keystroke that couldn't be recorded. I use Tools, Macros, Record a new Macro and assign it to a toolbar. In my document, I have some cross-references to bookmarks. Some bookmarks begin with a lower-case letter (due to the context in which they are used), but this may be changed in the cross-reference by right-clicking on the field, Edit field, Format - First capital. However, when trying to capture this sequence in a macro recording, the right-click function is not available. Is there an alternative ...

list mails sorted on date, independent of subfolder structure of INBOX
I hav e a lot of mail rules that sort incoming mails in subfolders of the INBOX. But now I want to see a list of all mails, sorted on date, independent of the folder structure of the INBOX. Possible ? how ? If you're using Outlook 2003, set up a search folder. If not, use = Advanced Find.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 <Osiris>...

Set Text Box Control To Blank
I have a procedure that executes on the beforeupdate event of a textbox (text24). The procedure works out the checkdigit for the number entered and if there is a discrepancy, a message box appears telling the user the number is wrong. What I'd like to do is modify the code as such so that when a discrepancy is found and the user clicks ok on the message box, focus is returned to (text24) and set to blank so that the faulty number is gone. Here is the code I am using.... It's quite crude as I'm only at beginner level, but hey, it works! Private Sub Text24_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Int...