Can you freeze columns in a list box?

I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on
the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the same in a list
box?

I have a list box that displays 30 columns of information. It would be
helpful if the first 4 didn't have to disappear when you scroll to the right.

"agene" <agene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on
> the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the same in a
> list
> box?

No.

> I have a list box that displays 30 columns of information. It would be
> helpful if the first 4 didn't have to disappear when you scroll to the
> right.

Have you considered using a subform rather than a list box?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

0
Douglas
7/19/2007 6:21:01 PM
30 columns of information???

Your tables are probably not designed correctly. If you provide some details
about what you are doing, we will analyze the design of your tables.

PC Datasheet
Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word
Applications
resource@pcdatasheet.com

"agene" <agene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on
> the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the same in a
> list
> box?
>
> I have a list box that displays 30 columns of information. It would be
> helpful if the first 4 didn't have to disappear when you scroll to the
> right.

0
Steve
7/19/2007 6:52:44 PM
Doug,

Is that the best you can do? The OP has 30 columns (!!!!) in a listbox and
all you can do is tell him to consider a subform.

> "agene" <agene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on
>> the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the same in a
>> list
>> box?
>
> No.
>
>> I have a list box that displays 30 columns of information. It would be
>> helpful if the first 4 didn't have to disappear when you scroll to the
>> right.
>
> Have you considered using a subform rather than a list box?
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)

0
Steve
7/19/2007 6:54:42 PM
And how do you know that it's from single table, Steve? Displaying 30 fields
isn't that outrageous: it could very well be the result of joining multiple
tables. It could also be a data mart. Yes, using a list box to display 30
fields is unusual, but there could very well be legitimate reasons.

--

"Steve" <Sorry@private.emailaddress> wrote in message
> Doug,
>
> Is that the best you can do? The OP has 30 columns (!!!!) in a listbox and
> all you can do is tell him to consider a subform.
>
> PC Datasheet
> Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word
> Applications
> resource@pcdatasheet.com
>

> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>> "agene" <agene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain
>>>on
>>> the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the same in a
>>> list
>>> box?
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> I have a list box that displays 30 columns of information. It would be
>>> helpful if the first 4 didn't have to disappear when you scroll to the
>>> right.
>>
>> Have you considered using a subform rather than a list box?
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no e-mails, please!)

0
Douglas
7/19/2007 7:14:47 PM
How can someone who writes for Smart Access say it isn't outrageous to
display 30 fields in a listbox? It's outrageous for you to say that!!
There's virtually no legitimate reason to display 30 fields in a lsitbox
other than misdesign.

> And how do you know that it's from single table, Steve? Displaying 30
> fields isn't that outrageous: it could very well be the result of joining
> multiple tables. It could also be a data mart. Yes, using a list box to
> display 30 fields is unusual, but there could very well be legitimate
> reasons.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Steve" <Sorry@private.emailaddress> wrote in message
>> Doug,
>>
>> Is that the best you can do? The OP has 30 columns (!!!!) in a listbox
>> and all you can do is tell him to consider a subform.
>>
>> PC Datasheet
>> Providing Customers A Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word
>> Applications
>> resource@pcdatasheet.com
>>

>> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>>> "agene" <agene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> No.

>>> Have you considered using a subform rather than a list box?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>>> (no e-mails, please!)

0
Steve
7/19/2007 7:54:30 PM
A Flex Grid Control will do what you want. Have a look at -

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/Otherdownload.asp?SampleName='Flex%20Grid%20Demo.mdb'

for some examples.

Peter Hibbs.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:58:05 -0700, agene
<agene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I know you can freeze columns in a datasheet so that the columns remain on
>the leftmost side of the screen, but is there a way to do the same in a list
>box?
>
>I have a list box that displays 30 columns of information. It would be
>helpful if the first 4 didn't have to disappear when you scroll to the right.
0
Peter

How to Link to the next blank row after the last entry in a column?
Cell BM6 Sheet1, has a formula that gives me a numeric total. The total belongs in Column D1 Sheet2 after the last entry, and there will be cells that will remain blank in that column before the last entry. Sheet1 is a work sheet, which will be saved with a new file name at the end of the month after the totals have been sent to Sheet2. Sheet2 is a permanent, ongoing record. The numbers on original Sheet1 will then be erased and the worksheet reused for the new month. :confused: How do I get the values into the appropriate row of Sheet2 and have them remain there when I reuse the workshee...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Global Address List creation in the console
It makes no sense to us that the console interface for creating address lists is not available for creating global address lists. It would be helpful if the same options and the same wizard were available for dealing with global address lists, that are available for dealing with regular address lists. Thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in ...

Can't send/receive

How do I make a column of checkboxes quickly?
I have a list of people my company has already mailed letters to (about 500) .. I have another separate list of people that may or may not have been mailed to from the first list. Is there a way to quickly creat a column of checkboxes and then somehow crossreference these people that have already been mailed to (both list have account numbers) so that we can exclude them from our next mail out? See http://tinyurl.com/bfkdt -- HTH Bob Phillips "Kevin Kimbrell via OfficeKB.com" <forum@nospam.OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:eaaf5760ccae43ac8b829a58e9708b6b@OfficeKB.com....

Text Box #2
I inserted a text box in excel using the click and drag text from the tool bar and entered the relevant comments in english and as soon as I finish the language changes to German. I have done all the basic stuff like clearing any formats, removing the text box and inserting a new box, checking langauge settings etc, but nothing works. I have than inserted 2 more text boxes in the same manner and typed the text in english and these have been fine. Can anyone tell what could be causing this problem? ...

Can not Customize Leads View

exporting category list
How do you export the category list in Money 2004? Thanks. Glenn IF you want to get categories that have been used in transactions, probably the best way is to use MoneyLink to pull all transactions for all dates for all accounts into Excel. From there, simple spreadsheet manipulation can get you there along these lines: 1) Copy the category/subcategory columns to a new sheet. 2) Sort the entries on Category and Subcategory. 3) Create a formula to only show the Category/Subcategory if it's not what's in the next row. 4) Copy the unique resultant column(s). 5) Paste Special|Values ...

Bulk attachments

Filtered Combo Box
Hello, I have a database that keeps track of employees in a department and prints out a directory. These employees can have up to two different positions (a colateral duty of HR manager for instance). I'm trying to set up a combobox from the Position table with three fields - PossitionID, Position and Type. I would like the user to be able to select one of four types, then have the position list filter from there as there are over 150 different positions. I thought of putting a listbox in there for the user to select the type first, but I'm not sure how to go on and filter th...

how do i do an alphabetical list of songs for a booklet
i need to do a booklet of song titles for karaoke booklets but thgey need to be done in alphabetical order, any ideas what i need ? use Word document -- davidm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davidm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20645 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375228 All you need to do is enter the song titles into a column in Excel and you can use the DATA -> SORT command to sort them in "ABC Order". Can you tell I have a school age child...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Distribution Lists #19
I run Outlook 2002 on Windows XP. I have no problems sending emails to individual parties. The problem comes when I try to send a group email to a distribution list. When I send to a distribution list, the email will show up in the "Sent" folder but no one will have received it. The next time I try to send any email, I'll get a send/receive error, "Task 'mail.comcast.net-sending and receiving error (0x80042108): Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or in...

Workbook.htm
I am publishing an Excel 2000 Workbook that has 20 worksheet's each with the top row held static with 'Freeze Panes'. However, when viewed in IE6 as an .htm file, the Freeze Panes is not working and the top row just scrolls out of sight.. Any ideas? tia While it's not specifically listed, in the Help file for my XL version ("Limitations of saving data on a Web page"), Freeze Panes isn't retained when the workbook is saved as HTML. Worksheets are saved as HTML tables - HTML tables have no capability to do what Freeze Panes does. You may be able to use ...

Rules in error dialog box
I am receiving an error dialog box saying 'Rules in error'each time I start Outlook or a new mail arrives. It says it cannot move messages to the folder. I then deleted all the rules, recreated them; verified that a valid folder exists. Also verified that the .pst file is valid. Any ideas. TIA. G'Day Bob, 1. Disable all rules for (say) 2 to 3 days. 2. After this time, use the "Run now..." option for each rule. 3. If there are still errors, THEN a Rule is incorrect. -- Regards, Pat Garard Australia ______________________________________ ...

Can (or how can) I do this