Can I disable validation popups in a maketable query.....?

I may be going about this totally wrong but I have a "appttable" that
controls a report and I need to keep the data new from an appointment book
entry so the scheduler can open the report to check on times available for
new appointments; I have created a make table query that overwrites the
"appttable" when the user completes filling the form. I am using ID#  and
date as joint primary key in the table to prevent double entries.  This
works great except the popup which tells you the existing table will be
deleted comes up and my users would panic if they saw that. Can I hide these
on a maketable overwrite?
I hope  this makes sense and if there is a better way of doing this please
show me. I appreciate all that I learn just from reading all of the
solutions you Access "geniuses" come up with.
--
Pat

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead
anywhere"

0
Dupatt

Go to Tools >>> Options >>> Edit/Find and uncheck Confirm Action Queries.

You can also run your Make-Table query in code using the Execute method:

CurrentDB.Execute "SELECT * INTO MyTable FROM ... "
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I may be going about this totally wrong but I have a "appttable" that
>controls a report and I need to keep the data new from an appointment book
>entry so the scheduler can open the report to check on times available for
>new appointments; I have created a make table query that overwrites the
>"appttable" when the user completes filling the form. I am using ID#  and
>date as joint primary key in the table to prevent double entries.  This
>works great except the popup which tells you the existing table will be
>deleted comes up and my users would panic if they saw that. Can I hide
>these on a maketable overwrite?
> I hope  this makes sense and if there is a better way of doing this please
> show me. I appreciate all that I learn just from reading all of the
> solutions you Access "geniuses" come up with.
> --
> Pat
>
> "If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead
> anywhere"

0
Arvin
6/16/2007 10:09:04 AM
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 04:48:19 -0400, "Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I may be going about this totally wrong but I have a "appttable" that
>controls a report and I need to keep the data new from an appointment book
>entry so the scheduler can open the report to check on times available for
>new appointments; I have created a make table query that overwrites the
>"appttable" when the user completes filling the form. I am using ID#  and
>date as joint primary key in the table to prevent double entries.  This
>works great except the popup which tells you the existing table will be
>deleted comes up and my users would panic if they saw that. Can I hide these
>on a maketable overwrite?
>I hope  this makes sense and if there is a better way of doing this please
>show me. I appreciate all that I learn just from reading all of the
>solutions you Access "geniuses" come up with.

MakeTable queries are *very* rarely a good option - and I certainly don't
think they are in this case.

If you're assuming that you must have an appttable created afresh in order to
generate a report, that assumption IS WRONG. You can - and should - base your
Report on a Query selecting those appointment records (which might not be
those from only the single most recent appointment!).

If you *must* have a separate table, then don't use a MakeTable; keep a
permanent stored appttable, and run a Delete query to empty it and an Append
query to fill it.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
6/16/2007 5:49:59 PM
Thank you very much for your help.
I have gone the delete and append route before and it worked well but will I
still get the "scarey looking" delete warnings (some of my users are
paranoid)?  I will go back to your suggestion and use it.
While I am here I have another question about using the activeX calendar
control.  Can more than one date field use the same calendar?  Is it
"unacceptable" to use more than one calendar?
Thanks again.
--

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 04:48:19 -0400, "Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I may be going about this totally wrong but I have a "appttable" that
>>controls a report and I need to keep the data new from an appointment book
>>entry so the scheduler can open the report to check on times available for
>>new appointments; I have created a make table query that overwrites the
>>"appttable" when the user completes filling the form. I am using ID#  and
>>date as joint primary key in the table to prevent double entries.  This
>>works great except the popup which tells you the existing table will be
>>deleted comes up and my users would panic if they saw that. Can I hide
>>these
>>on a maketable overwrite?
>>I hope  this makes sense and if there is a better way of doing this please
>>show me. I appreciate all that I learn just from reading all of the
>>solutions you Access "geniuses" come up with.
>
> MakeTable queries are *very* rarely a good option - and I certainly don't
> think they are in this case.
>
> If you're assuming that you must have an appttable created afresh in order
> generate a report, that assumption IS WRONG. You can - and should - base
> your
> Report on a Query selecting those appointment records (which might not be
> those from only the single most recent appointment!).
>
> If you *must* have a separate table, then don't use a MakeTable; keep a
> permanent stored appttable, and run a Delete query to empty it and an
> Append
> query to fill it.
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Dupatt
6/17/2007 3:02:08 AM
One thing I forgot to ask.  Will my joint primary key of Id# and Date be
deleted also?  I need to be sure no duplicates get in there.

--
Pat

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead
anywhere"
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 04:48:19 -0400, "Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I may be going about this totally wrong but I have a "appttable" that
>>controls a report and I need to keep the data new from an appointment book
>>entry so the scheduler can open the report to check on times available for
>>new appointments; I have created a make table query that overwrites the
>>"appttable" when the user completes filling the form. I am using ID#  and
>>date as joint primary key in the table to prevent double entries.  This
>>works great except the popup which tells you the existing table will be
>>deleted comes up and my users would panic if they saw that. Can I hide
>>these
>>on a maketable overwrite?
>>I hope  this makes sense and if there is a better way of doing this please
>>show me. I appreciate all that I learn just from reading all of the
>>solutions you Access "geniuses" come up with.
>
> MakeTable queries are *very* rarely a good option - and I certainly don't
> think they are in this case.
>
> If you're assuming that you must have an appttable created afresh in order
> generate a report, that assumption IS WRONG. You can - and should - base
> your
> Report on a Query selecting those appointment records (which might not be
> those from only the single most recent appointment!).
>
> If you *must* have a separate table, then don't use a MakeTable; keep a
> permanent stored appttable, and run a Delete query to empty it and an
> Append
> query to fill it.
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Dupatt
6/17/2007 3:04:54 AM
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 23:02:08 -0400, "Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thank you very much for your help.
>I have gone the delete and append route before and it worked well but will I
>still get the "scarey looking" delete warnings (some of my users are
>paranoid)?  I will go back to your suggestion and use it.

Follow Arvin's selection of using the querydef Execute method. Perhaps you
could post your code - we can't see it, and it's more than a bit difficult to
advise.

>While I am here I have another question about using the activeX calendar
>control.  Can more than one date field use the same calendar?  Is it
>"unacceptable" to use more than one calendar?
>Thanks again.

Please ask the question in a new thread - I've never actually had occasion to
use the calendar control. Don't see why you couldn't use two or more but I'm
not certain!

For your other question - please amplify. A Delete query without criteria will
delete all records in the table; the primary key makes absolutely no
difference to that. And a unique two-field index will do just that - ensure
that that particular combination of field values cannot be duplicated.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
6/17/2007 4:13:44 AM
Sorry about not giving you code to see but I am on my home computer and my
database is on my work computer.
You have answered my questions to my satisfaction, so thank you again, and
goodnight.

--

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 23:02:08 -0400, "Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Thank you very much for your help.
>>I have gone the delete and append route before and it worked well but will
>>still get the "scarey looking" delete warnings (some of my users are
>>paranoid)?  I will go back to your suggestion and use it.
>
> Follow Arvin's selection of using the querydef Execute method. Perhaps you
> could post your code - we can't see it, and it's more than a bit difficult
> advise.
>
>>While I am here I have another question about using the activeX calendar
>>control.  Can more than one date field use the same calendar?  Is it
>>"unacceptable" to use more than one calendar?
>>Thanks again.
>
> Please ask the question in a new thread - I've never actually had occasion
> use the calendar control. Don't see why you couldn't use two or more but
> I'm
> not certain!
>
> For your other question - please amplify. A Delete query without criteria
> will
> delete all records in the table; the primary key makes absolutely no
> difference to that. And a unique two-field index will do just that -
> ensure
> that that particular combination of field values cannot be duplicated.
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Dupatt
6/17/2007 4:26:47 AM
Using both Access 2002 and 2003, I get Action queries performed without any
warning notices. If that doesn't work for you, use the CurrentDB.Execute
method, or as John Vinson suggests, just delete the data and refill with an
Append query, using the Execute method if you can't stop your warning
messages.

You can also turn your warning messages off in code with:

DoCmd.SetWarnings False

then turn them back on with

DoCmd.SetWarnings True

It also works with a macro.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com
http://www.mvps.org/access
http://www.accessmvp.com

"Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I have unchecked the comfirm action queries yet I get this popup

--

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
> Go to Tools >>> Options >>> Edit/Find and uncheck Confirm Action Queries.
>
> You can also run your Make-Table query in code using the Execute method:
>
> CurrentDB.Execute "SELECT * INTO MyTable FROM ... "
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
>
> "Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I may be going about this totally wrong but I have a "appttable" that
>>controls a report and I need to keep the data new from an appointment book
>>entry so the scheduler can open the report to check on times available for
>>new appointments; I have created a make table query that overwrites the
>>"appttable" when the user completes filling the form. I am using ID#  and
>>date as joint primary key in the table to prevent double entries.  This
>>works great except the popup which tells you the existing table will be
>>deleted comes up and my users would panic if they saw that. Can I hide
>>these on a maketable overwrite?
>> I hope  this makes sense and if there is a better way of doing this
>> please
>> show me. I appreciate all that I learn just from reading all of the
>> solutions you Access "geniuses" come up with.
>> --
>> Pat
>>
>> "If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead
>> anywhere"

0
Arvin
6/18/2007 4:46:58 PM
Thanks for all of your help.  I think I have it fixed with the delete and
append suggestion.

--

> Using both Access 2002 and 2003, I get Action queries performed without
> any warning notices. If that doesn't work for you, use the
> CurrentDB.Execute method, or as John Vinson suggests, just delete the data
> and refill with an Append query, using the Execute method if you can't
> stop your warning messages.
>
> You can also turn your warning messages off in code with:
>
> DoCmd.SetWarnings False
>
> then turn them back on with
>
> DoCmd.SetWarnings True
>
> It also works with a macro.
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
>
> "Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have unchecked the comfirm action queries yet I get this popup
>

> --
> Pat
>
> "If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead
> anywhere"
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>> Go to Tools >>> Options >>> Edit/Find and uncheck Confirm Action Queries.
>>
>> You can also run your Make-Table query in code using the Execute method:
>>
>> CurrentDB.Execute "SELECT * INTO MyTable FROM ... "
>> --
>> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> http://www.datastrat.com
>> http://www.mvps.org/access
>> http://www.accessmvp.com
>>
>> "Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I may be going about this totally wrong but I have a "appttable" that
>>>controls a report and I need to keep the data new from an appointment
>>>book
>>>entry so the scheduler can open the report to check on times available
>>>for
>>>new appointments; I have created a make table query that overwrites the
>>>"appttable" when the user completes filling the form. I am using ID#  and
>>>date as joint primary key in the table to prevent double entries.  This
>>>works great except the popup which tells you the existing table will be
>>>deleted comes up and my users would panic if they saw that. Can I hide
>>>these on a maketable overwrite?
>>> I hope  this makes sense and if there is a better way of doing this
>>> please
>>> show me. I appreciate all that I learn just from reading all of the
>>> solutions you Access "geniuses" come up with.
>>> --
>>> Pat
>>>
>>> "If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead
>>> anywhere"

0
Dupatt

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Query to join records according to "hierarchy"
I didn't know how else to describe it. I have records with this structure: Fields: Name; Last Name; Group John; Brown; 1-1 Carl; Rogers; 1-1 Brian; Mann; 1-2 Charles; Grant; 2-1 Eddie; Murphy; 2-2 Carmen; Elec; 3-1 Ellen; Smith; 3-2 ......and so on What I need is to combine the field Name in group 1-1 to 1-2, 2-2, 3-2. Then 2-1 with 2-2, 3-2. Then 3-1 with 3-2. Is this possible? If so, how can I do it? Thanks for the help. On Jul 4, 11:55 am, sergio.prin...@gmail.com wrote: > I didn't know...

Bulk attachments

Disable Auto Add of addresses
How does one disable the auto add of email addresses? Often times, I already have the contact formatted in my address book, but when I get an email from them it is formatted different, and I have to "delete" that which comes up when using auto-complete, and then use the manual add to add the addressee to my email... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated You may disable it in Options Food Snobbery wrote: > How does one disable the auto add of email addresses? > > Often times, I already have the contact formatted in my address book, but > when...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Display Date from Unbound Field in Form in a Query
Just had an issue that in 10 years of using Access never saw - just wondering if I just never encountered it or what... I have a form running a query, the user enters a date. The report needs to show the date - so the query has a field like this: report date: [Forms!]![frm_report]![txtReportDate] I had a problem exporting to Excel - seems the direct placement in the query led to characters that Excel could not understand. I actually had another date field from the form that I did a date add on, it worked fine. I eventaully put the form reference in a Format, the issue was gone. The...

Validate almost one of two textbox
Hi, how can I validate a group of 2 textbox so the users have to populate at least one of them (or both)? Thanks in advance. Luis On Nov 27, 2:16=A0pm, Luigi <Lu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > how can I validate a group of 2 textbox so the users have to populate at > least one of them (or both)? > > Thanks in advance. > > Luis Use Javascript Function function jsValidateTextBoxGroup(sTxtBox1, sTxtBox2) { var bSuccess =3D true; var sTxtBox1Value =3D document.getElementById(sTxtBox1).value; var sTxtBox2Value =3D document.g...

Can not archive

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

Can you convert picture into Visio?
Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? It would depend on what format the picture was in. For most cases, this is not an easy task. John... Visio MVP "tbae" wrote: > Is there a way to convert picture into Visio format? If so, how? ...

Transpose Rows to Columns in Access Query
Hello, I am trying to transpose multiple columns into a specified column as shown below. What it looks like: 1(Q1_A_1) 1(Q1_1-2) 1(Q1_A_3) 1(Q1_B_1) 1(Q1_B_2) 1(Q1_B_3) Low High - 1 Yr. Now 2 Yrs. What it needs to look like: Risk Readiness Low 1 Yr. High Now - 2 Yrs. I am hoping there is a simple expression that I can type in the 'field' row of the query where I can just call out the fields I want to inlcude in that one column on seperate rows. Also I am dealing with over 100 fields. Thank...