Calculated a field in a subform.

I have created a subform  based on a query with a field TotalDays and this is
a calculated field:
Dim Totaldays As Integer
Dim DateIn As Date
Dim DateOut As Date
If DateOut Is Null Then
TotalDays=DifDate ("d",[DateIn],[Date])
Else
TotalDays=DifDate ("d",[DateIn],[DateOut])
End If
My questions are:Where is the best place to calculated the field in the
subform or in the query?
If the answer is in the subform in what event i have to put the code?
Thank you for your time.

JOSELUIS

JOSELUIS,
    While this caclulation can be handled by VB, I would think it easier
to do your IIF in a calculated control... TotalDays.
    Set the TotalDays Control Source to...

= IIF(IsNull(DateOut), DateDiff("d",[DateIn],[Date]),
DateDiff("d",[DateIn],[DateOut]))

(I'm not aware of a DifDate function in Access, and your
Is Null syntax is incorrect)

    If you feel you must use VB, use the AfterUpdate event of BOTH
DateIn amd DateOut.
(since TotalDays is a control on the form, you would not need to Dim it)

Dim DateIn, DateOut As Date
    If IsNull(DateOut) Then
        TotalDays=DateDiff("d",[DateIn],[Date])
    Else
        TotalDays=DateDiff("d",[DateIn],[DateOut])
    End If
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"JOSELUIS via AccessMonster.com" <u58123@uwe> wrote in message
>I have created a subform  based on a query with a field TotalDays and this
>is
> a calculated field:
> Dim Totaldays As Integer
> Dim DateIn As Date
> Dim DateOut As Date
> If DateOut Is Null Then
> TotalDays=DifDate ("d",[DateIn],[Date])
> Else
> TotalDays=DifDate ("d",[DateIn],[DateOut])
> End If
> My questions are:Where is the best place to calculated the field in the
> subform or in the query?
> If the answer is in the subform in what event i have to put the code?
> Thank you for your time.

Al
3/23/2010 3:56:33 AM
Oh my God! I´ve tried everything but it doesn´t work.Firstly I put IIF in the
calculated control TotalDays but it didn´t calculate the total  number of
days if DateOUT is null . I look for a syntax error but everything seems to
be allright so I tried the VB code  but I dont know where I need to put the
code in TotalDays because if i only write code in the AfterUpdate event of
DateIn and DateOut it doesn´t work. Therefore i created a function but I
think  I problably made a mistake . My function:
Function TotalDays() As Integer
Dim DateIn As Date
Dim DateOut As Date
If IsNull(DateOut) Then
TotalDays = DateDiff("d", [DateIn], [Date])
Else
TotalDays = DateDiff("d", [DateIn], [DatOut])
End If
End Function

Al Campagna wrote:
>JOSELUIS,
>    While this caclulation can be handled by VB, I would think it easier
>to do your IIF in a calculated control... TotalDays.
>    Set the TotalDays Control Source to...
>
>= IIF(IsNull(DateOut), DateDiff("d",[DateIn],[Date]),
>DateDiff("d",[DateIn],[DateOut]))
>
>(I'm not aware of a DifDate function in Access, and your
>Is Null syntax is incorrect)
>
>    If you feel you must use VB, use the AfterUpdate event of BOTH
>DateIn amd DateOut.
>(since TotalDays is a control on the form, you would not need to Dim it)
>
>Dim DateIn, DateOut As Date
>    If IsNull(DateOut) Then
>        TotalDays=DateDiff("d",[DateIn],[Date])
>    Else
>        TotalDays=DateDiff("d",[DateIn],[DateOut])
>    End If
>>I have created a subform  based on a query with a field TotalDays and this
>>is
>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>> If the answer is in the subform in what event i have to put the code?
>> Thank you for your time.

JOSELUIS
3/23/2010 7:31:55 PM
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:31:55 GMT, "JOSELUIS via AccessMonster.com"
<u58123@uwe> wrote:

>Oh my God! I�ve tried everything but it doesn�t work.Firstly I put IIF in the
>calculated control TotalDays but it didn�t calculate the total  number of
>days if DateOUT is null . I look for a syntax error but everything seems to
>be allright so I tried the VB code  but I dont know where I need to put the
>code in TotalDays because if i only write code in the AfterUpdate event of
>DateIn and DateOut it doesn�t work. Therefore i created a function but I
>think  I problably made a mistake . My function:
>Function TotalDays() As Integer
>Dim DateIn As Date
>Dim DateOut As Date
>If IsNull(DateOut) Then
>TotalDays = DateDiff("d", [DateIn], [Date])
>Else
>TotalDays = DateDiff("d", [DateIn], [DatOut])
>End If
>End Function

I'm not sure why you're having all the problems, but if there are textboxes
named DateIn and DateOut (not DatOut!!!) on your form, you should be able to
just use a control source of

=DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date())

This assumes that DateIn will always have a date; if it might be null,

=IIF(IsNull([DateIn], Null, DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date()))

Note Date() - the function - rather than [Date], which would refer to a field
or control.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

John W. Vinson wrote:
>>Oh my God! I´ve tried everything but it doesn´t work.Firstly I put IIF in the
>>calculated control TotalDays but it didn´t calculate the total  number of
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>>End If
>>End Function
>
>I'm not sure why you're having all the problems, but if there are textboxes
>named DateIn and DateOut (not DatOut!!!) on your form, you should be able to
>just use a control source of
>
>=DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date())
>
>This assumes that DateIn will always have a date; if it might be null,
>
>=IIF(IsNull([DateIn], Null, DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date()))
>
>Note Date() - the function - rather than [Date], which would refer to a field
>or control.

JOSELUIS
3/23/2010 11:12:10 PM
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:12:10 GMT, "JOSELUIS via AccessMonster.com"
<u58123@uwe> wrote:

>OK I refuse to go on I change colon by semicolons, english into spanish NZ to
>Nz or NzDate() and nothing ever happens so I�ve decided to stop working on
>this I need a holidays maybe I�ll go   to St James�way and I hope to get
>enough strength to go on with this.
>Up to then God Bless you.

Buen suerte y ten un buen dia. Ojala que San Tiago tendra merced...
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

> OK I refuse to go on I change colon by semicolons, english into spanish NZ
> Nz or NzDate() and nothing ever happens so I�ve decided to stop working on
> this I need a holidays maybe I�ll go   to St James�way and I hope to get
> enough strength to go on with this.
> Up to then God Bless you.
>
> John W. Vinson wrote:
>>>Oh my God! I�ve tried everything but it doesn�t work.Firstly I put IIF in
>>>the
>>>calculated control TotalDays but it didn�t calculate the total  number of
>>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>>>End If
>>>End Function
>>
>>I'm not sure why you're having all the problems, but if there are
>>textboxes
>>named DateIn and DateOut (not DatOut!!!) on your form, you should be able
>>just use a control source of
>>
>>=DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date())
>>
>>This assumes that DateIn will always have a date; if it might be null,
>>
>>=IIF(IsNull([DateIn], Null, DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date()))
>>
>>Note Date() - the function - rather than [Date], which would refer to a
>>field
>>or control.

Al
3/23/2010 11:27:46 PM
Time to get your prescription checked, John? <g>

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

> =DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date())

You need an extra closing parenthesis:

=DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date()))

> This assumes that DateIn will always have a date; if it might be null,
>
> =IIF(IsNull([DateIn], Null, DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date()))

You're missing a closing parenthesis for the IsNull function call (in
addition to the closing parenthesis for the DateDiff function call)

=IIF(IsNull([DateIn]), Null, DateDiff("d", [DateIn], NZ([DateOut], Date())))

0
Douglas
3/24/2010 11:12:21 AM
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:12:21 -0400, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:

>Time to get your prescription checked, John? <g>

<blush> Thanks for the catch, Douglas.

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John W. Vinson wrote:
>>Time to get your prescription checked, John? <g>
>
><blush> Thanks for the catch, Douglas.

Thank you very much now it works perfectly. This Easter holidays I pray for
all of you in my way to Santiago.

JOSELUIS

IIF statement pulling from wrong field
I have a query have has the 5 variations of the following IIF statement: Bag Total: IIf(" " & [Unit of Measure] & " " Like "* BAG *",[Qty],Null) this statement says to add up if the unit of measure if it is a bag. I am attempting to add another IIF statement that says =Sum(IIf([product type] Like "*printed*", [pounds], 0)) - I am trying to add up if the product type has the word printed in it total it at each customer and at the end of the report. When I use this IIF statement on my report, it is totalling the amount from the printed IIf(...

How to calculate age of a person?

Form Fields
I have created a form for use by others. I used the Text form fields format when creating the form, my problem is the main text in the form does not stay locked in place. When we try to type to fill in the form fields it moves the main body text. I have tried using the Document Protection tab and telling it to allow formatting only in the form fields but that still does not prevent the other text from moving. I did this in word 2007. Any idea on what to do to lock the main body in to allow filling in just the Form fields. Hi Michael, The simplest way to gain control over the ...

Due Date Calculated

how to calculate outliers

Calculated field options???

Dynamics 4.0 slow to retrieve data when custom fields / lookups us
We've have this issue whereby if a custom field, say on the contact, is indexed, when you use advanced find, it seems to use the index. The response is acceptable. It appears however it you use the standard search bar and try the lookup, it appears that table scans are happening. Can anyone advise if we're reading the situation correctly and whether there is a way to speed up to normal search. Thanks -- C ...

Making one field bold in a concatanated string
This issue is in MS Access 2003 I have a string with the last name and first name fields concatanated. I would like to bold the last name field only. Is there anyway to do this? The standard text box in Access 2003 and earlier cannot do that. Stephen Lebans has a solution here: http://www.lebans.com/mixbold-plain.htm -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "abnewallo" <abnewallo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:519C584...

tenure calculations

Time Sheet Function to Calculate

Formula to calculate time

Insert calculated median field in pivottable
Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. Thanks, Joel Not supported in a pivot -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Joel Schaefer" <joel@disintegrators.com> wrote in message news:ev4P0Nk6FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried > inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. > > Thanks, > > Joel > ...

Copying Addresses from the To field
I thouight I had posted this but if so it's somewhere obscure so I'm trying again! I have a large number of addresses I need tyo get into a manageable format i.e. useable email addresses, a latge proportion are formatted like this: 'familiarname!<someones@somewhere>. If I copy no matter what I do it will only paste the familiar name, the address is lost. I have tried every combination I cam think of. I have about 800 addresses and it would be aweful if I have to manually edit them. Any ideas? thanks If they in the To... field, right click each individually and select Add...

Javascript help, calculation whoes when calculating from a calculation....
I am having a strange issue with Javascript and I cannot see what the issue us? Essentially I need to be able to calculate two values, one is addition and the second is multiplication. I am getting some strange numbers. My code is at the bottom under the ------, here are the details. crmForm.all.estimatedvalue.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_nextyr.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_yrtwoplus.DataValue = 10 This should make totalestrev = 30, Then its getting weird, I am taking the following formula (10/100)*30 = 270? Here 10 is the value selected from the drop down value, I ...

calculator errors
when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a1,b1) into cell c1. If a1 is 1000 and b1 is .10 than c1 should equal 100, but it equals 102.04. My calculator is off somehow when i try to multiply. Please help me. Thank You, Kat I'd take a look at the values in A1 and B1. Are they really 1000 and .10 or are they 1000.49999 or .10444 (for example) "Kat and the Calculator" <KatandtheCalculator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:591A3F6E-7C20-4C88-B1E2-6B76CFF502BA@microsoft.com... > when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a...

Calculating Employee hours for the current week
Hello, I am new to excel and have been assigned the task of creating a file that breaks down the amount of time each of our employees spends on different projects. Most importantly I want to create a rollup sheet that shows the total number of hours all the employees have spent on the different projects (there are 6) for the current week. Is there any way for excel to figure out the current week then add together the hours all the employees worked on these 6 projects? Thanks in advance. Hi, Take a look at the templates available from Microsoft at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/template...

Totals For An Inside Row Field In a Pivot Table

calculation in menu/tool bar using option buttons and pull-down menus
hello: Like to be able to add a series of calculations into the menu bar. The calculations would require 1 input field, 2 sets of radio (or are they called toggle???) buttons, a pull down list and an answer field that was dependent on the radio buttons, pull down and # inputted. I can do all this in an Excel worksheet fairly easily; however, I'd like to put it up in the menu bar/tool bar area so it is easily accessable no mater what workbook I'm working in. How can I do this? Any places I can read about this on the Web? Thanks for any answers/pointers! For example, the basic con...

What does this calculation do?!
I am working with a colleague to create a spreadsheet to rank supervisor performance through several aspects of the average performance of their employees. We have been given a similar spreadsheet as an example of what is needed. I am looking at it, and initially cannot understand what in the world some of the calcuations are meant to do. Here is one that is meant to calculate the "ranking score." It is a percentage determined by a target percentage and the person's actual performance percentage: =IF(IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200)>200,200,IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200)) As far as I ...

Bulk Import Blank Fields
I am attempting to perform a bulk import. All contacts result in error. The error occurs every time there is a blank field. The error message is "data in row did not match the import type. There are different fields in each row that are blank. Every row returns error. Is it possible to import blank fields. Also I created a test file with no blank fields that imports with no problem. "Gileon" wrote: > I am attempting to perform a bulk import. All contacts result in error. The > error occurs every time there is a blank field. The error message is "data in >...

Savings Goals, how are they calculated
I have a budget that says I have $1000+ saved each month, when I setup a savings goal for three months down the road for $2000 it says that it is unattainable and the max I could save is $345! What else is calculated into the savings goals other than how much money is left over after each month! It just doesn't make sense. The only help it gives is check out your cash flow... and sure enough, at the time I want my savings goal to be reach it says that the total of my accounts is $4000+ dollars... why does Money keep saying that I can't do a savings goal above $345?!!! This is...

Inserting date calculations