Bound columns

Hi, I Have a form with text box with 2 field - fDesc; aDesc.  fdesc is the
bound column and displays in the text box.  But I also want to store aDesc in
the table.  How can I also have the second column bound?

Don't do it!  Access is a relational database.  Unlike Excel, it is rarely
necessary to store the same data (e.g. your [aDesc]) in more than one table
(and there are some very good reasons NOT to do it).

Use a query to join the tables to display [aDesc] for a given record.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"gatabrava" <gatabrava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I Have a form with text box with 2 field - fDesc; aDesc.  fdesc is the
> bound column and displays in the text box.  But I also want to store aDesc
> in
> the table.  How can I also have the second column bound?

0
Jeff
4/23/2007 8:07:31 PM
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:24:03 -0700, gatabrava
<gatabrava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, I Have a form with text box with 2 field - fDesc; aDesc.  fdesc is the
>bound column and displays in the text box.  But I also want to store aDesc in
>the table.  How can I also have the second column bound?

What are these fields? Are you trying to copy adesc from one table, and store
it redundantly in a second table? If so, this is generally A Very Bad Idea;
you could easily end up with aDesc being one thing in the original table, and
*something different* - indeed even many somethings different - in the second
table! Why do you feel that you need to copy it?

What is the Recordsource of this form? Where do fDesc and aDesc come from?

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
4/23/2007 8:10:27 PM
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:10:05 -0700, gatabrava
<gatabrava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you - actually found a workaround by using Dlookup.  FYI - these are
>not redundant fields - fdesc = full description is derived in the form as a
>concatenation of various elements; adesc = same as fdesc but using the
>standard abbreviation for those elements.  Each desc format is then posted to
>different ERP systems.

If you're assuming that you must store the data in a table in order to export
it, that asssumption is *wrong*. Just calculate the text string in a query and
export from the query!

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

Lock The Lower Bound Prize
Can Anyone please tell me how i can lock the lower bound prize, rather than the message to select. (YS or NO). We have created a series of Utilities amongst which one of the options is to control the Lower and Upper Bound sales. This is a paid add-on [ Store and HQ Utility] that embeds a large number of options. Contact me for more details. Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealmn.co.uk ] CEO - Retail Realm = = = = = = = = = = = "imma" <imma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FD27C52-1EC4-452C-8B99-9B6A8C3741D5@microsoft.com... > Can Anyone please tel...

Cannot delete a column
I've just upgraded to Office 2007. I'm trying to delete a column. I get that "cannot complete task with available resources" error. I then tried to delete a single cell, and chose "shift cells left". Same error. All I have open is a browser to type this note, and Excel. Does anyone know what's happening here? ...

To have a 'fixed cell' be equal to the last data entered cell in a column
Good Evening All, I have a worksheet, example below. I have frozen the panes to always show rows 1-3. I wish the cell A3 to be the same as the last 'non-blank' cell in Column A.(See explanation below). A B 1 2 Header Header 3__________________ 4 M1004 5 M1005 6 M1002 7 M1003 8 M1006 9 M1001 10 So in this case, at present, A3 would be M1001,(A9), but when I enter a new value in A10, (eg M1008), I would like A3 to automatically update to A10 ie M1008. I think that maybe INDIRECT or OFFSET maybe involved but am fairly unfamiliar with ...

Reseting the last row/column
Hello all, I have a spreadsheet of data, lets say 35,000 rows long. So when I do a [Ctrl] + [End], it goes to the cell at row 35,000 (and the last column of the data). Now lets say that I run a macro that deletes 5,000 rows. So now the last row is 30,000. But if I do a [Ctrl] + [End] again, it still goes to row 35,000. Is there any way to reset the spread sheet so it knows that the last row/column of data has changed since row/column deletions? Thanks for any help anyone can provide, Conan Kelly Here is an article from Msft on the topic: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2444...

Reversing a column
I need to take a column of calculated numbers and then reverse it . I need to apply a compound interest factor. Using a 6% annual increase the value at the end of the first year is 1.06. The next year it is 1.1236 = 1.06^2 and so on. In this example I end up in Year 40 with a factor of 10.28571794. Then I need to reverse or flip this over so that the 10.28571794 is in the first year and it ends with the 1.06 on year 40. I'm stumped and would appreciate a helping hand. PY Age Compound int ToRetirement Compound int 1 26 1.06 40 10.28571794 2 27 1.1236 39 9.703507488 Hi...

One column of a list box does not display for all users.
I have a list box on a form that displays two columns of information from two columns of a table. The main column contains material numbers and this is the information that actually populates the box when selected. The other column is a description that goes with the material number. On on everyone elses computer the main column (material number) apears to be empty and only the descriptions are displayed. On my computer the list box works fine with everything displayed as it should be. It seems that it must be a setting, but I cannot find one. Does anyone have any idea of what co...

Last Value in a row or column
Hi All, I need a formula or User Defined Function that will allow me to find the last input cell in a row of variable width data. This value will then be shown in a cell of my choice. Thanks Excel Dummy ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi - how about this? Public Function Findlastcell(MyAddress As Range) Application.volatile Findlastcell = Cells(MyAddress.Row, 256).End(xlToLeft).Address End Function You use it by entering = Findlastcell(B5) ...

Fill with Gray if Column b is bold
My spreadsheet contains data from column A1 to K?. There may be 10 rows or 1000 rows. I need to look at column B and if it the font is bold then I need to fill A:K with gray. Can someone help? Thanks in advance, CB I don't think you can but it might be worth taking a step back and looking at how column B is populated. What is entered? How does it get there? What makes it format bold? If it's not manual input where does the data come from and is there anything else that can differentiate what can and can't be conditionally formatted? -- Russell Dawson ...

merge or combine columns
Is there a way to combine columns? I have a spreadsheet with a couple thousand rows. I want to give each row a unique identifier that has the components of a key number (a 4-digit identifier). Some of the key numbers are the same. I decided to simply add a row of sequential digits 1-2000 and merge that column with the key number: column A = 1 column B = - column C = 2567 Merged column = 1-2567 Is there a way to do that? Thanks Hello, There may be other ways, but you could use the formula =A1&B1&C1 in cell D1 to get the result you want. >-----Original Message----- &g...

How to Format a Column???
How can i format a Column in order to show up negative numbers in a re color, BUT using a MACRO.. for example: Columns("G").Select So i want to Format this "G"Column with the option to show negativ numbers ex: if it is -100 will show (100) in red. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I just did it using the Macro Recorder and then viewed the code: Columns("G:G").Select Selection.NumberFormat = "#,##0.00_); _ [Red](#,##0.00)" Of course if doing it in a Macro there is no need to actually select the column: Columns("...

bound column in combo box
My form contains a combo box that allows me to pick a particular client. In this combo box there are five columns - the first being the bound column. Once I select the correct record I click on a command button which should pull up a different form filtered to this combo box selection. However, I get an error that states "... can't find the field "|" referred to in your expression". Private Sub Command116_Click() DoCmd.OpenForm "frmMain", acNormal, , Me.Cbo108.Column(0) = [ID_No] End Sub Any thoughts on what is wrong here? On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10...

Returning Column Header based on Row and Value
Hi All, I've run into a problem trying to return a value from the header row based on locating a row value and a subsequent value within that row to define the column header needed. For example in the confusing example below imagine that the top row " A B C D" is the column headers and the column 1 "A B C D" is the row labels i've assigned. Given values of "C" and "D" I'd like to write a formula that searches down column 1 for "C" and then looks across the row for value "D" and returns the value of the column header &qu...

Difference between (subtracting) 2 columns
Hi . In Excel 2003 , I want to do the following thing : suppose we have column A with the content : 12 14 16 18 20 and column B with the content : 20 40 60 80 100 I want that column C (using a single formula) will have the content : 8 26 44 62 80 ie. column C will be column B , minus column A (corresponding to the indexes of the cells : 20-12=8 , 40-14=26, 60-16=44,80-18=62,100-20=80) . How can I do that using a single formula ? Thanks in advance , Lior . Select column C1 and down, as far as the data goes. Type =B1-A1, hold CTRL while you press ENTER -- Kind regards,...

6 numbers in one column
6 numbers in one column separated by hyphen. want to put them in separate columns Try... Data|Text to Columns with hyphen as delimiter. "Edo" <Edo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:829B99D4-2858-4D90-931E-50BBED5E3A58@microsoft.com... > 6 numbers in one column separated by hyphen. want to put them in separate columns Hi Edo, Try using Text to Columns, 1) Select your data 2) Data > Text to Columns 3) Choose Delimited as your Data Type 4) Click Next 5) Check Other as your delimiter and type the hyphen into the box next to it 6) Click OK/Finish Hope ...

Creating query from other queries- dates column
I'm trying to create a query from other queries, all of which have a 'date' column. However not all the queries have the same dates in e.g one query may only have entries for 01/01/2006 and then for 05/01/2006 but not for any dates inbetween these dates, although other queries may have. But the new query seems to ignore the fact that other queries have data for these dates inbetween and only display data for the dates that appear in the first query. I want ALL dates that have data entries to appear, even if some columns will have no entries (as some queries have no data f...

Catalog bound on top
I am looking for a template that allows you to use a normal sheet of paper, folded to make a book. Now I know this works for Catalogs, however I want to bind it at the fold and have it turned with the fold at the top and open it like a flip chart. Any suggestions. I can work it out, but the page printout doesn't work in the booklet format. HELP! Does your printer have this setting? It will have something like "flip pages up." You could also use the tent card option, add as many pages as needed. Publisher will automatically print it correctly. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP h...

Renaming columns #2
I'd like to rename the A B C D at the top to the name of my columns, o at least leave the column headings at the top of my screen. Does anyone know how -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Tools>Options>View, uncheck "Row and column headers". You can insert a row and a column with your own names, but they will not be recognized in formulas the same way as "A1". But you can define row and column names and use the intersection as an address in a formula. The intersection operator is a space. So if you defined the name "Material" for column ...

Can I reverse a column ?
Is there a way to reverse all the plus in a column into negative and the negative into plus? I mean a fast way, not manually all and every entry by hand. In an empty cell, enter the number -1. Edit>Copy. Select your numbers. Edit>Paste Special, check Multiply. OK. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Karl" <karolus@NOSPAMcomcast.netNOSPAM> wrote in message news:A-WcnbilUr5zve6iU-KYvg@comcast.com... > Is there a way to reverse all the plus in a column into negative and the > negative into plus? > > I mean a fast way, not manually all and e...

Checking data in 2 columns against a further 2 columns....
I need to check the values of two columns agains another two colums (with same data) and if they are both in the sheet return a positive result, or if wrong return a "Missing Order". Example: A B C D E SENT Received CHECK Account Order Date Account Order Date 123 01/12/2009 314 05/12/2009 231 02/12/2009 142 04/12/2009 314 03/12/2009 123 01/12/2009 142 04/12/2009 So I need to take the info from Colum A and B (account...

Cumulative Columns in Frx.
I have configured a monthly forecast based on the budgeted figures in Frx. I have 12 columns in it and 13th one is the total of all the tweleve columns. I want to add a row in this report which is cumulative of the previous columns. For example Column 1 - Column 1 Column 2 - Column 1 + Column 2 Column 3 - Column 2 + Column 3 and so on.. I couldnt figure how we can do that in Frx. Any help will be appreciated. If you mean a "column" which is cumulative of the previous "columns" then try this. If first column is A and last is N then in O configure a Calc column wit...

formula to add hours > 9/weekday & 4.5/w/e / 7day week columns
Can anyone tell me the formula to add hours > 9/weekday & 4.5/sat & all hours worked sunday. 7 columns starting wed finishing Tues. Cheers Bridget Clear questions get quick answers. Lack of an answer means your question is not clear. To add hours, use the Time function, as in: =a1+time(9,0,0) If you need something else, post back with more detail, especially an example of what you want to achieve. Fred "bridget" <bridget@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F6EA032-7D91-48FF-9C88-025865F11D48@microsoft.com... > Can anyone t...

Transfer data from Excel col. A to multiple columns in the same sh
A Excel 2003 spreadsheet has only one column of player data: column A. The first three data items in column A are the same for every player: Name, Address and Phone. Every player also has at least one comment but could have any number of comments. Each player’s data is separated from the next by a blank cell in column A. Sometimes, a player’s last comment is blank resulting in two blank cells in column A before the data for the next player. I need an Excel 2003 VBA macro to: 1. Copy just the player’s name, but not the Name: label, to column B as shown. 2. Copy just the addre...

Limiting rows & columns
What's the VB code for restricting the rows and columns on a worksheet -- k48 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- k483's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1079 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26296 Hi what do you mean with restricting? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany k483 wrote: > What's the VB code for restricting the rows and columns on a > worksheet? K483 Try something like Sub RestrictMovement() Worksheets("Sheet1").ScrollArea = &qu...

Activity customizing has only few columns
I've found activity view that can be customized at http://crm/tools/viewEditor/viewManager.aspx?id={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001903} but there are only few columns to be added or removed. Can it, for example, 'To recipients' column be added. I've seen somewhere on this newsgroup that someone claimed that it can be done. I agree on that but I can't find out the way. Has someone done it and how? Domagoj Hi Domagoj, we have a process for manually modifying queries to include non-standard fields. Unfortunately, recipients are stored separately from the activities...

create a data-series based on two different columns of data ?
I need to create a chart (line chart) data series, but based on two different columns of data... Is this possible ? I assume that what you want is one chart data series for two discontinous worksheet series. one method to do this is to plot the first series. with the chart active goto <chart><source data><Series> in the values box afer the listing add a comma and use your curser to select the rest of the data you want to plaot as part of hat series. "Derrick" wrote: > I need to create a chart (line chart) data series, but based on two different > c...